Official 2019 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend

Star Wars and Disney are like a sickness for me. When you put them together, it is the perfect storm. I am a Star Wars superfan. The Inaugural Dark Side Challenge was my first half and first Disney race. Since then, I have run the Marathon, Dopey Challenge and 2018 Dark Side Challenge/Virtual Half. This year I am doing the Rival Run Challenge and just completed the virtual half. I have thought about running W&D but I am more focused on Marathon Weekend and Star Wars at this point. I am trying to decide whether to do the 2020 Dopey Challenge or the 2020 Rival Run Challenge. I can only do one and I will likely take on Dopey again through a charity like I did last time.

Okay - ridiculous question of the day for those of you who have done the 10k before... Will I need my sunglasses? I know we'll start in the dark because um, that's stupid early. And let's assume I'm in the last corral, planning to finish within an 1.5/2 hours (about a 14/15 min pace plus a few pictures). I've googled sunrise times, but I'd like to hear first-hand experience - did you need (or wish you had) your sunglasses for the 10k? (This very important question may or may not influence my running costume that morning...) :rolleyes:

Okay - ridiculous question of the day for those of you who have done the 10k before... Will I need my sunglasses? I know we'll start in the dark because um, that's stupid early. And let's assume I'm in the last corral, planning to finish within an 1.5/2 hours (about a 14/15 min pace plus a few pictures). I've googled sunrise times, but I'd like to hear first-hand experience - did you need (or wish you had) your sunglasses for the 10k? (This very important question may or may not influence my running costume that morning...) :rolleyes:
Yes. I will bring my sunglasses for the 10k.

I have very sensitive eyes and ALWAYS bring sunglasses for the 10K.

Reactions: maw
I've been a Star Wars fan far longer than I've been a runner. I grew up with the OT, have a fair amount of collectibles, and I'm a costumer. I feel like I'm giving a bit more priority to running as I'm choosing to do this race over Star Wars Celebration in Chicago.

Same for us. We live in Indianapolis, and would LOVE to go to a Star Wars Celebration again, but just couldn't swing two big trips in that small of a time period.
(In a strange turn of events, though, we are going to C2E2 in late March, which is screwing up the timing for our last long run. We could SOMEHOW pass on Celebration, but the lure of David Tennant and Matt Smith was too much for this family of Doctor Who fans. It's probably good that Celebration is mostly sold out, or I'd probably just take out a 2nd mortgage to go.)

Is there a HH meet up on Saturday?
Somebody can organize it I'm sure! I don't think the regular people who organize HH meet ups are going to Star Wars? Haven't seen anybody around. I wouldn't be able to go but I'm sure folks on this thread can just decide to do it. There is a thread here dedicated to meet ups but again it might be defunct now, looks like it was dropped after Marathon weekend this year.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/official-upcoming-rundisney-dismeets-thread.3638260/

ETA Five weeks til the 5k everybody!!!!

I just had to look this up... sunrise is expected to be 7:10AM.

Hello Star Wars peeps! I just signed up for the half last night! So far this year I ran my first marathon during Marathon weekend and registered last minute for Princess (2 weeks out).Marathon was great but Princess sucked the life out of me and I didn't trust my training/abilities. Humidity sucked all of my energy in the first 4 miles and I limped to the finish with a slower time than desired. Once I returned this week I decided to redeem myself with Rival Run. I also decided to register for W&D in a few weeks (just don't tell my BF just yet. lol).

My big dilemma: registering late requires me to be surprised with a light/dark side bib at expo. Kind of putting a damper on costume/outfit choice. Any suggestions out there?!

Hello Star Wars peeps! I just signed up for the half last night! So far this year I ran my first marathon during Marathon weekend and registered last minute for Princess (2 weeks out).Marathon was great but Princess sucked the life out of me and I didn't trust my training/abilities. Humidity sucked all of my energy in the first 4 miles and I limped to the finish with a slower time than desired. Once I returned this week I decided to redeem myself with Rival Run. I also decided to register for W&D in a few weeks (just don't tell my BF just yet. lol).

My big dilemma: registering late requires me to be surprised with a light/dark side bib at expo. Kind of putting a damper on costume/outfit choice. Any suggestions out there?!
Oh I wouldn't let your bib affect your costume/outfit choice! Wear what you want! Thinking back to a few years ago, it's crazy to me that people are getting to decide to register so last minute. Terrific but crazy. For a while there you had to take a day off work to make sure everything was set up and ready to go at noon eastern time.

Oh I wouldn't let your bib affect your costume/outfit choice! Wear what you want! Thinking back to a few years ago, it's crazy to me that people are getting to decide to register so last minute. Terrific but crazy. For a while there you had to take a day off work to make sure everything was set up and ready to go at noon eastern time.
I know! I can't believe it myself. I took some time off from rD after Dumbo Double Dare in 2016. I lived in CA and just couldn't justify flying across the country for a runcation when I didn't get C2C. Now that I'm back on the east coast I figured I would run all of WDW this year and maybe Dopey in 2020. I remember the days of blocking out my calendar and hiding in a conference room just to make sure I could get registered. Now I'm risking a late registration just for a discount. lol :)

FYI the 5k now looks to be sold out now in addition to the 10k. Do we believe the courses are going to be the same as last year because someone who stalks the USATF would have noticed a new course registration?

A bit over my head here with experience / knowledge, so appreciate any help.

Since the 5k is sold out, I've been looking into signing up with one of the participating charities, with the added bonus of being able to help a good cause too. This would be for me and DS8.

I was half way through the GKTW registration but noticed in their policies you have to be 10 or older to be a part of that team, so I'm looking into some other charities.

Anyone been in this situation and/or have any advice on going through charities?

Apologies if this is a dumb question or covered elsewhere. Thank you!

A bit over my head here with experience / knowledge, so appreciate any help.

Since the 5k is sold out, I've been looking into signing up with one of the participating charities, with the added bonus of being able to help a good cause too. This would be for me and DS8.

I was half way through the GKTW registration but noticed in their policies you have to be 10 or older to be a part of that team, so I'm looking into some other charities.

Anyone been in this situation and/or have any advice on going through charities?

Apologies if this is a dumb question or covered elsewhere. Thank you!
I don’t think it’s a dumb question, and I’m not sure it is covered elsewhere, but I haven’t run with a charity so I don’t have any help. Sorry!

However, you might try starting a new thread outside of the Star Wars thread. There might be more people who would be able to answer that have run through charities at other races that might be able to help. And maybe it would be applicable for the Star Wars races as well. :)

One thing you should keep in mind is that some charities require you to raise a predetermined amount to get the registration. And if you are unable to raise that amount, then they will get the difference from you. I know someone who did a charity registration for a race and had to pay a substantial amount of money when she couldn't meet the fundraising amount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter