Official 2019 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend

Question: Do they still give something for the top finishers in each age group? And if so, is it top 3 or top 5? I am considering "racing" the 10K and if (big if) I kill it on Saturday, judging by last year's finishers and the fact that there are less people running, I could make the top 5 in my age group. I am doing the challenge so for the half marathon I am planning to take it slow and do character stops, etc but I am not sure there is much I want to stop for along 10K. I am also in the middle of a speed training plan for my half marathon in June so running the 10K would fit as my speed workout this week. But if they still do the awards it might be a cool thing to shoot for.

For top 5, you'll get a nice little plaque in the mail. Go for it! (Just watch out for the heat/humidity if you're not from the area. It does a number on a lot of people.)

Question: Do they still give something for the top finishers in each age group? And if so, is it top 3 or top 5? I am considering "racing" the 10K and if (big if) I kill it on Saturday, judging by last year's finishers and the fact that there are less people running, I could make the top 5 in my age group. I am doing the challenge so for the half marathon I am planning to take it slow and do character stops, etc but I am not sure there is much I want to stop for along 10K. I am also in the middle of a speed training plan for my half marathon in June so running the 10K would fit as my speed workout this week. But if they still do the awards it might be a cool thing to shoot for.
1)Cool!
2)Paging @Wendy98 I think she has gotten an age group prize at a runDisney race!

Surprised we have not seen anything about all the other merchandise that might be available for purchase at the Expo. Always thought that info came out well before the week of the race. We are three days away from the Expo, and I have not seen anything about what they might have available this year.

I believe it’s the top 5 that get a plaque mailed to them about 2 months after the race

Surprised we have not seen anything about all the other merchandise that might be available for purchase at the Expo. Always thought that info came out well before the week of the race. We are three days away from the Expo, and I have not seen anything about what they might have available this year.

For Princess weekend the merchandise preview was posted on Tuesday, February 19 - the Tuesday of race week. The Tweet is time stamped at almost 5pm eastern.

Fingers crossed for today, but they’ve been sitting on the merchandise previews longer for the last few races.

I don't understand why they wait so long to give us the merchandise preview; shirts and medals (I'm sure) are made way ahead of time. Is there an advantage to making us wait?!?!?!
And, I need to know how much space to leave in my suitcase for any merchandise we buy!

I don't understand why they wait so long to give us the merchandise preview; shirts and medals (I'm sure) are made way ahead of time. Is there an advantage to making us wait?!?!?!
Personally I don't like to see the medals ahead of time, I like the surprise of it. (Most races I do never have a medal preview so that was an adjustment for me with Disney!)

Personally I don't like to see the medals ahead of time, I like the surprise of it. (Most races I do never have a medal preview so that was an adjustment for me with Disney!)

WOW REALLY?!?! How about the shirts though?!?!? Don't want to see those either? Just curious! :teeth:

WOW REALLY?!?! How about the shirts though?!?!? Don't want to see those either? Just curious! :teeth:
Personally? Nope! That's half the fun! Plus if it sucks (like one or two of the medals last year that I didn't really care for) that affects my motivation for doing the race, as crazy as that sounds. So I'd rather just be surprised at the end. :)

Edit to add: I do a lot of Ironman races and a good deal of the suspense is not knowing what the finisher shirt or the medal will look like. I've had a few not so great ones, but most are awesome, and there's just something that adds to the whole experience waiting for the (for-purchase) finisher gear to be displayed at the merch tent.

T-9 minutes until I can check in for tomorrow's Southwest flight. I'm not really worried about what passes we get (I'm A-list because of a bunch of college visits last year) but I'd prefer not to have to hold my family's seats until the C passes are getting on.

[ETA:] ...and done. A-22 for me, B-21 and 22 for wife and son.

Last edited:
I'm too excited for the merch preview. I hope it's terrible.... but I know it won't be. Ughhhh Disney always gets my money!

Anyone have a running jacket from a runDisney event? How do you like it?

I'm too excited for the merch preview. I hope it's terrible.... but I know it won't be. Ughhhh Disney always gets my money!

Anyone have a running jacket from a runDisney event? How do you like it?

I have a few of the old Champion ones, which were great. I picked up the half marathon one from January this year, and it's kinda weird, to be honest. I don't know if they've settled on this new supplier (I hope not), but it's anybody's guess as to what we'll see this weekend.

Can't hurt hitting the expo early and haunting the "last minute registration" booth. I can't remember what Disney officially calls that thing, but it's pretty obvious when you get there. I've had luck in the past scoring "fall out" slots for friends and family that were with me and decided at the 11th hour that they wanted to run.

Have to say RunDisney customer service has improved significantly since I last run - sent an email this am and got the below response.

I would urge you to consider our official charity groups and travel providers as these options may still provide opportunities to participate in this race. Please visit the"Events" tab of the runDisney.com website for more information. Keep in mind you must go to each individual charity group and travel provider website if you are looking for Kids Races; not all participating organizations offer these races.

Additionally, while we cannot guarantee registrations will be reopened, we do occasionally review our operational capacity and may re-open registrations closer to the actual event weekend.

So still have to go to the expo to check it out but thought this would be helpful for others.

Not sure what I think about the merchandise. Especially the color of the ladies half marathon "I Did It" shirt... hmm.

Also, I prefer the old mickey-shaped mileage magnet with the mileage in much larger font (a Disneyfied version of the standard race mileage car magnet). These are just... magnets with designs on them. Not what I had in mind!

But there is always something I like and I'm sure I'll buy things anyway!

I don't leave for the race until Saturday and will be at the expo at the last minute, so most of the merchandise may already be sold by then anyway! Ha! Safe travels everyone.

Hmm, the merch isn't blowing me away. I bet at the expo they'll get me, though.

Anyone else zooming in and looking at the background in these photos?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter