Official 2022 HHN 31 - Horror is Universal

Me and my husband are thinking about try HHN on 9/25 a Sunday but we have never been to universal. We are simply going to enjoy the halloween festivities. I know lines are usually long but we really don't want to buy Express passes. We want to go but not that bad lol so its just something to do on our getaway weekend. How realistic is it without the EP?
Honestly, it's exhausting. With an EP
I know folks have said they have done it without one but personally I don't know how. And this was on a week night. That's all we've ever done, one of the free nights with our AP. We tried last year starting with stay and scream and even using an EP we finished the last house shortly before closing. We did the show too though, so maybe that took too much time? I wouldn't want to miss that. Those folks are super talented, it's just amazing to watch. But the entire night is sooooooo much walking with the way they wind out in and out to reach the house entrances and then the way you exit the houses and have to walk back out. We feel like we walk more during HHN than we do in a full open to close day at a theme park. We don't do any rides, there is zero time. We grab a snack here or there just to slow for a moment. And we like to stop to enjoy the scare zones, they are often better than houses to me. Just depends on the year.
After trying for the past 3 years with just a single night + EP this year we are doing our free single night + EP but we've also bought an additional night. I am wanting to be able to slow down and enjoy things a bit more. I just felt like we did nothing to rush from place to place.
Anyway, I really would reconsider EP if it's at all within the budget. I think you will enjoy the night more. If you can't, you can't. Go and do what you can. It's really an awesome event. My first time I was too big a chicken to even go in a house but I still loved it. The scare zones alone were enough for me that first year. Now I can do the houses (I did a lights on tour one year)

I don't know about every year but they have done 2 Blumhouse movies in one house several times. And unrelated movies at that
They were rather disjointed too. I specifically remember Happy Death Day and the Purge. Didn't mesh well at all. I think most of the Blumhouse related houses have been mashups. 2015 had Purge and Insidious as separate houses, but I think that's the only time they weren't mashups in Orlando.

Honestly, it's exhausting. With an EP
I know folks have said they have done it without one but personally I don't know how. And this was on a week night. That's all we've ever done, one of the free nights with our AP. We tried last year starting with stay and scream and even using an EP we finished the last house shortly before closing. We did the show too though, so maybe that took too much time? I wouldn't want to miss that. Those folks are super talented, it's just amazing to watch. But the entire night is sooooooo much walking with the way they wind out in and out to reach the house entrances and then the way you exit the houses and have to walk back out. We feel like we walk more during HHN than we do in a full open to close day at a theme park. We don't do any rides, there is zero time. We grab a snack here or there just to slow for a moment. And we like to stop to enjoy the scare zones, they are often better than houses to me. Just depends on the year.
After trying for the past 3 years with just a single night + EP this year we are doing our free single night + EP but we've also bought an additional night. I am wanting to be able to slow down and enjoy things a bit more. I just felt like we did nothing to rush from place to place.
Anyway, I really would reconsider EP if it's at all within the budget. I think you will enjoy the night more. If you can't, you can't. Go and do what you can. It's really an awesome event. My first time I was too big a chicken to even go in a house but I still loved it. The scare zones alone were enough for me that first year. Now I can do the houses (I did a lights on tour one year)
I agree that getting through absolutely everything without EP could be a challenge. It could be a challenge even with EP. But I also think that it’s totally possible to have fun without doing everything. For someone who is just looking to pass an evening, my advice is go and do a few houses with low wait times, watch a show or two, enjoy the scare zones, jump on a ride, and sample the food/drinks. Since EP is often more expensive than the cost of a ticket, I’d only recommend buying it if a) money is no object or b) you’re really committed to getting through all the houses. For a casual guest, it’s probably better to just set a few priority houses and/or experiences, and then just go and enjoy the atmosphere.

I agree that getting through absolutely everything without EP could be a challenge. It could be a challenge even with EP. But I also think that it’s totally possible to have fun without doing everything. For someone who is just looking to pass an evening, my advice is go and do a few houses with low wait times, watch a show or two, enjoy the scare zones, jump on a ride, and sample the food/drinks. Since EP is often more expensive than the cost of a ticket, I’d only recommend buying it if a) money is no object or b) you’re really committed to getting through all the houses. For a casual guest, it’s probably better to just set a few priority houses and/or experiences, and then just go and enjoy the atmosphere.
You know, good point. For some reason, I was reading PP and thinking "we want to go and do everything"
But that's not at all what PP said. That's what I read in to it and that was wrong on my part
It 100% depends on what you want to get out of the night.
If it's to just test the waters and absorb the vibes of HHN, go without EP. I do highly, HIGHLY suggest trying to fit in the Nightmare Fuel show if you like Cirque d' Solei with an edge, type stuff.
If one wants to get it all in, go with EP and go well rested and have no plans the next day, LOL

Last edited:
You don't think that will the The Weekend? For some reason that's what I'm picturing
i think it will have it’s share of scares, focusing on plastic surgery perhaps
Any speculation on which will be the popular houses?
Halloween is always popular as even the most casual horror fan recognizes it. Same with the monsters’ house

I think the weekend will be a big draw, huge if the house is actually ’good’

bug house, FOMO

chupacabra could be the dark horse

thinking dead man’s pier might be visually interesting as they’ve done great things in the past with a water oriented house
Does Blumhouse have a big following?
It does
But my concern is that Freaky and Black Phone in the same house is weird. The two movies are very different.
Never stopped them before. if it’s mostly jump scares, doesn’t really bother me if disjointed
Predict you will enjoy the opportunity to revisit your favs
But I also think that it’s totally possible to have fun without doing everything. For someone who is just looking to pass an evening, my advice is go and do a few houses with low wait times, watch a show or two, enjoy the scare zones, jump on a ride, and sample the food/drinks.
Absolutely. Strikes me it’s the way most who have opportunity to work a multi-night tix work it, especially the locals.

We'll be there second weekend also and its our first HHN.
Do we have to wait until after opening to get a map and showtimes?
I'm thinking halloween will be one of the most popular and am hoping that most of the others will just be personal preference and so hopefully lines will be more consistent for them all.
Map and times should be out opening weekend on Labor Day weekend. The HHN information and wait times are in the Universal app during HHN nights. After opening weekend, it will be clear what are the hot houses are. I don’t think people thought Wicked Growth was going to be as popular as it was last year before it started

One callout is that just because its not "popular" doesnt mean YOU wont like it.

I loved Bride of Frankenstien for the story it told through the house using all the Universal monsters, and i loved Legendary Truth due to the Lovecraft inspirations (my favorite horror stories), both were considered "lesser" houses.
If you are a fan of the particular sub genre the house is aimed at it may resonant more for you. If you love post apoc stuff for instance Descendants may hit different for you.

One callout is that just because its not "popular" doesnt mean YOU wont like it.

I loved Bride of Frankenstien for the story it told through the house using all the Universal monsters, and i loved Legendary Truth due to the Lovecraft inspirations (my favorite horror stories), both were considered "lesser" houses.
If you are a fan of the particular sub genre the house is aimed at it may resonant more for you. If you love post apoc stuff for instance Descendants may hit different for you.
I LOVED Bride as well!!! and came to appreciate LT-both were on my daytime UtH tour and the detail to story is just incredible!

This will be our first visit ever to UO and we have already purchased HHN tickets and express passes for the Sunday we are there. I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I don't want to get down there and think it is one way and it be another. We are planning on possibly upgrading to annual passes and we saw that one of the tiers came with a select free night for HHN. We are driving down from TN on a Saturday that happens to be one of those select nights. If we get there in time and upgrade our tickets, would we be able to go that night? Or do those sell out or only if the event is sold out? I hope this makes sense what I'm trying to ask lol.

This will be our first visit ever to UO and we have already purchased HHN tickets and express passes for the Sunday we are there. I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I don't want to get down there and think it is one way and it be another. We are planning on possibly upgrading to annual passes and we saw that one of the tiers came with a select free night for HHN. We are driving down from TN on a Saturday that happens to be one of those select nights. If we get there in time and upgrade our tickets, would we be able to go that night? Or do those sell out or only if the event is sold out? I hope this makes sense what I'm trying to ask lol.
The nights they offer for the free Premier pass holder nights are expected lower attendance nights. That's why they select those nights and why there are none the closer you get to Halloween. You'll be fine

Question though, are you upgrading your HHN ticket or a park ticket? I've never tried to upgrade a HHN ticket. I know they can be upgraded to Frequent Fear passes so probably can be to AP too but curious which route you are looking at going

The nights they offer for the free Premier pass holder nights are expected lower attendance nights. That's why they select those nights and why there are none the closer you get to Halloween. You'll be fine

Question though, are you upgrading your HHN ticket or a park ticket? I've never tried to upgrade a HHN ticket. I know they can be upgraded to Frequent Fear passes so probably can be to AP too but curious which route you are looking at going
Sorry, I should've been more clear. We are upgrading our park tickets. We had considered upgrading to the Frequent Fear passes, but the Saturday night would be the only other night we would probably be able to go and we had already talked about upgrading the park passes, so this seemed like a win/win.

You can get HHN tickets pretty much always for less than the cost to upgrade from Preferred to Premier. You are not saving any money even if you did the upgrade to get the free ticket. The difference looks to be about 200 bucks, and you can usually find HHN tickets below 100, for sure below 100 on the nights they let the Premier Pass ticket work.

You can get HHN tickets pretty much always for less than the cost to upgrade from Preferred to Premier. You are not saving any money even if you did the upgrade to get the free ticket. The difference looks to be about 200 bucks, and you can usually find HHN tickets below 100, for sure below 100 on the nights they let the Premier Pass ticket work.
Agree but if making multiple trips premiere gives more flexibility on where to stay-don't have to stay onsite or premier hotels as will have EP after 4, EE, better discounts, better included parking etc.

Thank you! I was actually about to go compare the pricing differences and see what made more sense for us, so you saved me some time. So if I'm understanding correctly, the only perk that I would be getting for the upgrade from Preferred to Premier would be the free HHN ticket, which would actually cost more than just buying the ticket outright when we get there?

Thank you! I was actually about to go compare the pricing differences and see what made more sense for us, so you saved me some time. So if I'm understanding correctly, the only perk that I would be getting for the upgrade from Preferred to Premier would be the free HHN ticket, which would actually cost more than just buying the ticket outright when we get there?
Yes unless planning on more trips-plus you do get passholder perks if wanting an AP (different tiers have different perks)

Yes unless planning on more trips-plus you do get passholder perks if wanting an AP (different tiers have different perks)
Thank you! Sorry to derail the topic at hand, but I do appreciate the help! Trying to get the most bang for our buck on our very first trip has been fun, but a little challenging lol.

Thank you! Sorry to derail the topic at hand, but I do appreciate the help! Trying to get the most bang for our buck on our very first trip has been fun, but a little challenging lol.
We went from Preferred to Premiere for the HHN and the after 4 EP. We made trips down for Disney and would skip going to Universal since we didn't have EP on trips when we didn't stay there. We figured with the after 4 EP we would be more inclined to head over in the afternoons, use our EP. Plus better merch discounts and the free HHN, which we would be buying anyway. It just made sense to bump up our AP.

Don’t forget the after 4 express, better food and merchandise discount as well as much better parking.

Map and times should be out opening weekend on Labor Day weekend. The HHN information and wait times are in the Universal app during HHN nights. After opening weekend, it will be clear what are the hot houses are. I don’t think people thought Wicked Growth was going to be as popular as it was last year before it started
Do you really think it will be apparent? We were there mid September, and I feel like WG wasn’t a big deal yet. We actually waited in the stay and scream line with a WG scareactor (who was on her first night off and excited to see the houses as an attendee). The early buzz was all about the IP houses, and WG was a short line back with the other tent houses.

Speaking only for myself, my interest in the “popular” houses is for strategic purposes only. I’m planning to see them all, but not getting express or stay-and-scream, so I’m hoping to formulate a touring plan to get us through.

I thought Bride was a great house last year because of the storytelling. I went on the second weekend, and Wicked Growth was not yet the breakout house. Some bloggers reviewed it very favorably on opening weekend, but it was also still kind of mid-list on a bunch of other rankings. We decided for ourselves we loved it (and went through it at least 4 times), but there weren’t lines for it like for Beetlejuice and Hill House.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter