Official 2022 HHN 31 - Horror is Universal

We are going no matter what. One night only. Picking a Thursday, thinking the weekend crowds are worse. We will buy the early entry ticket and wait in the holding areas. Can't wait!

Oh, yeah, we are going too. I mean, we got a free night. Only question we have is what night. Well, 2 questions I suppose because if we can, we'll buy a night in addition to our free night. If the nights line up right.

A few quick questions.

1.) When should we plan to arrive at HHN for the event? It opens at 6:30pm? We are NOT staying on property and are NOT planning on paying for early entry. When should we line up? We are going on a Sunday (October 16th). We DO have express passes.

2.) We want to eat dinner at CityWalk. I know this gets busy (or it was last year when we attended HHN on a Saturday in early October). Any recommendations for a dinner spot at CityWalk where we can make reservations? We were thinking around 4pm... and then walk over to the HHN gate? We want a meal... but we also plan to eat some bites (at the stands) at HHN.

3.) We want to eat lunch (around 11am) the next "morning" at CityWalk. Any recommendations for a spot for lunch before heading out to catch a flight? We will have 1-1.5 hours for lunch.

4.) I know HHN will be a late night. Any idea when the "official" hours will be announced?

1.) Depends
Staying Onsite: Use the Universal Studios hotel entry.
  • Guests who are staying at any of the Universal Studios hotels will also have access to a VIP entrance gate. This gate is open to hotel guests until 8:00 p.m.
  • Arrive around 4ish?
Offsite: Arrive between 3:30-4pm. No kidding, see why here
  • Note, Front Gate often opens 20-30 minutes early. We'll see what happens this year.
2.) CityWalk dining on the night of your HHN event should be made between 2:15-2:30pm. This will allow your group to use the restrooms before heading to the gate and any mishaps.
3.) :confused3
4.) HHN typically ends at 1:00 AM on select weekdays and 2:00 AM on weekends.

To anyone who wants to make corrections, please include the poster's name - @shb5007 so they are alerted. :thumbsup2

Okay experts, I have had issues before with a seasonal pass with single night HHN ticket and RIP reservation getting US to let me stay in the park unless I found someone to re-admit us. Is this still the case?

Last edited:
It wasn’t an issue last year. We have Premiere APs (yellow) and had single night tickets and had no issues staying in Park. One time we were at Finnegan’s and they scanned the tickets and issued bracelets and the other time we just picked a holding area and they scanned the HHN tickets there.

It wasn’t an issue last year. We have Premiere APs (yellow) and had single night tickets and had no issues staying in Park. One time we were at Finnegan’s and they scanned the tickets and issued bracelets and the other time we just picked a holding area and they scanned the HHN tickets there.
Yeah, but Premiere have no block out dates so that wouldn't be the same

Okay experts, I have had issues before with a seasonal pass with single night HHN ticket and RIP reservation getting US to let me stay in the park unless I found someone to re-admit us. Is this still the case?
Where you there on a block out date somehow?

Yeah, but Premiere have no block out dates so that wouldn't be the same

Where you there on a block out date somehow?

No matter what AP the original poster had @agavegirl1
also had single night HHN ticket and a RIP reservation.
If they were allowed into the park earlier with seasonal pass, OP only needed to have had their HHN ticket scanned in the holding area or should have gone directly to the RIP check-in area depending on what time their event started.

Who ever told OP they had to be re-admitted was incorrect and we all know some newbie TM's don't know what they're talking about. I would have found someone else.

I will be attending HHN for one night, October 19. Even with decades of trips to FL and CA theme parks, have never been there when HHN is running and know virtually nothing about it. I'll have a seasonal annual pass for this trip so, as I understand it, that will ease the access to HHN. Need to educate myself on all the 'tours' and other add-on stuff, I guess.

No matter what AP the original poster had @agavegirl1
also had single night HHN ticket and a RIP reservation.
If they were allowed into the park earlier with seasonal pass, OP only needed to have had their HHN ticket scanned in the holding area or should have gone directly to the RIP check-in area depending on what time their event started.

Who ever told OP they had to be re-admitted was incorrect and we all know some newbie TM's don't know what they're talking about. I would have found someone else.
I believe the confusion is with the RIP process. The lineup for RIP is outside of the entrance, to the right of the ticket booths, at the VIP door, which is next to Guest Services. If you are in the park, supposedly you can meet for the RIP Tour at Cafe LaBamba prior to your departure time.

However, my private RIP Tour was advised to wait outside the gate, at the VIP door. Before the main gates opened, we were let into the VIP office where we met our tour guide, and we were led upstairs to a waiting area. From here, we had access to a balcony overlooking the gate entrance where we could see the gate crowd and watch the HHN introduction show. After the main gates were opened, our tour guide led us to Cafe LaBamba, where we had free snacks and drinks before heading out to the houses.

Probably a stupid question but we are planning on staying in a holding area to be first for some houses. However I believe you need to be in the park for 4:30/5pmish for that. Have people left the park to go for dinner after doing a couple of houses then going back in? We are hoping to have three nights at HHN so can afford to spend a bit of time at citywalk. I just wasn't sure if you would be allowed back in.

If you don’t have stay and scream or a day ticket the day of HHN there is a special entry line for resort guests that has a much better holding area than the rest of the folks in front of the main entrance. We found it because we got to the parks after they had closed for day entry. Resort line was over to the left and a little hard to find, so ask if you don’t see it. It’s there & the team members will help you find it.
Would it matter which resort you are staying at to use the resort entrance? Can we stay at Dockside vs HRH and still use the same entrance? We stayed at RPH last time we went to HHN but did Stay and Scream or arrived after the entrance rush as we went multiple nights. We are debating staying on/off site and will only be going to HHN, no day passes this time.

Would it matter which resort you are staying at to use the resort entrance? Can we stay at Dockside vs HRH and still use the same entrance? We stayed at RPH last time we went to HHN but did Stay and Scream or arrived after the entrance rush as we went multiple nights. We are debating staying on/off site and will only be going to HHN, no day passes this time.
Doesn’t matter, they are all Universal Orlando resorts. We were at Sapphire the time that we used the resort entrance. Have fun!

I have been doing my homework on this event, which will be my first time attending, and am still uncertain about a couple of things:

(1) I will be in USF most of the daytime using my seasonal AP. Is there some kind of discounted HHN ticket I should buy at the park itself? It looks like I should just buy online ahead of time, as I do with every other theme park ticket. But I saw some confusing verbiage on another website about getting a deal right there in person.

(2) What is the best way to transition from a 'regular' day at USF to the HHN stuff? Is there a good place to go to wait around and possibly get ahead of the HHN-only guests?

I am going on October 30 which I can tell is going to suck a lot lol.

I read that last year there was a ticket for like $25 that let you get in at 3PM into USO. Do they announce those tickets closest to HHN dates or is not coming back this year? And do those tickets are available every HHN nights or just the one that they expected to be less crowded.

Probably a stupid question
No stupid questions. If it’s a repetitive one, poster may be referred to sticky for basic info. No offense, just try to keep the thread relatively clean
we are planning on staying in a holding area to be first for some houses. However I believe you need to be in the park for 4:30/5pmish for that.
The tent house line near Central Park last year let guests line up starting around 4 pm For the tent houses. yep, i was there several nights Trying to find scraps of shade In which to lounge
Have people left the park to go for dinner after doing a couple of houses then going back in?
That is a very good question indeed.

No idea, hopefully somebody can share

did notice when poking around SW’s howlo scream website, they have instituted a new rule where you cannot return to the event the same night if you leave.

they also put in place a no/small clear bag rule (as with sporting & concert security protocols).

Those who are day guests can bring in standard park sort of bags

will be interesting to see if U follows suit. Didn’t have time to do A deep dig on their HHN website to see if it’s buried in there somewhere.
It looks like I should just buy online ahead of time, as I do with every other theme park ticket.
If only a single night, believe this convenience factor wins. You might be able to save a few bucks with a discounter. Just don’t wait to buy at the gate

if staying onsite probably could buy at your resort again this year
What is the best way to transition from a 'regular' day at USF to the HHN stuff? Is there a good place to go to wait around and possibly get ahead of the HHN-only guests?
staying in park all day, then HHN makes for a grueling experience. Been there and done it for the last time years ago. It’s just too much We’ve managed to put on 6 or 7 miles on our pedometers just doing HHN. Those tent houses are indeed killers

suggest sleeping in, yes, I said it :) or pool time; then head on over to the parks In Late am or early afternoon

try to book a late ADR at finnegans & wait it out in comfort. Not the easy grab it once was. Otherwise, station yourself in one of the holding pens and grab some CS.

your feet will thank you And you will have a better chance of closing out the park and getting in a few later runs thru the houses once the crowds start to disperse after midnight.

No stupid questions. If it’s a repetitive one, poster may be referred to sticky for basic info. No offense, just try to keep the thread relatively clean

The tent house line near Central Park last year let guests line up starting around 4 pm For the tent houses. yep, i was there several nights Trying to find scraps of shade In which to lounge

That is a very good question indeed.

No idea, hopefully somebody can share

did notice when poking around SW’s howlo scream website, they have instituted a new rule where you cannot return to the event the same night if you leave.

they also put in place a no/small clear bag rule (as with sporting & concert security protocols).

Those who are day guests can bring in standard park sort of bags

will be interesting to see if U follows suit. Didn’t have time to do A deep dig on their HHN website to see if it’s buried in there somewhere.

If only a single night, believe this convenience factor wins. You might be able to save a few bucks with a discounter. Just don’t wait to buy at the gate

if staying onsite probably could buy at your resort again this year

staying in park all day, then HHN makes for a grueling experience. Been there and done it for the last time years ago. It’s just too much We’ve managed to put on 6 or 7 miles on our pedometers just doing HHN. Those tent houses are indeed killers

suggest sleeping in, yes, I said it :) or pool time; then head on over to the parks In Late am or early afternoon

try to book a late ADR at finnegans & wait it out in comfort. Not the easy grab it once was. Otherwise, station yourself in one of the holding pens and grab some CS.

your feet will thank you And you will have a better chance of closing out the park and getting in a few later runs thru the houses once the crowds start to disperse after midnight.
By SW are you talking about Sea World? As in at Sea World you are saying they are only allowing a clear bag for their halloween event and you aren't sure if Universal is going that way too?

With day guests doing stay and scream I can't see how they would. Besides, not sure how SW would compare to Universal anyway. No more than Disney compares (which is they don't)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter