"Official" 2023 Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party - Let's Get Spooky!

Does anyone know whether you will be allowed out of the Castle if you have an ADR that ends at 9 pm? I know the areas are roped off around the castle an hour and half before and I can grab an ADR for 7:10 pm instead of the 4 pm (we were planning on getting in the park around 3:30 pm but judging from the crowds to get in and CMs erroneously directing day guests to the MNSSHP lines I don’t know if we will make our ADR on time.

Had anyone tried entering the gates at 3 pm? We have day tickets and we’re planning to take a brief resort break (or just skip the morning if kids want to go to the pool.)
We entered with our APs at 3 pm on 9/8. There was no issue going to the far left entrance and got right in.

We went to the party on 9/8 (was our first time) and had a blast. We took a bus to MK, walked over and had lunch at Steakhouse 71 before and walked to the party after at 3 pm. We have APs so we went to the far left entrance and tapped in no problem.

We went to meet Ariel in her usual meet and greet then leisurely did a few rides that had pretty low waits even at 4 ish. Thunder mountain was posted as 30 min and was maybe 10. This was the case for rides all night for us. SDMT was posted as 40 minutes for most of the night and at 7:45 it was a 10 minute wait.
The only party-only meet and greet my daughter wanted was Ariel and Eric. We got in the line that had gathered at 6:45 ish and finished at 7:15.
Lots of trick or treating, the lines were long but moved quickly. And always got huge scoops of candy.

We really loved seeing all the costumes. My daughter got so many compliments on her costume. She did a Coco-inspired skeleton look that came out awesome!

I went to the September first party and here are some notes that I took along the way.
  • At 10:30 am there were lighting lanes available for Tron to go on at 3:45 pm, I didn't have a day ticket so technically speaking you could buy that and make it on time for your LL.
  • They started scanning people in for the party at 3:57 pm.
  • I got a VQ for tron and my group was called back at 8:00 pm. I scanned into the attraction at 8:05 and got in the seat at 8:46 pm.
  • The 9:15 pm parade doesn't get to the castle until 9:37 pm and finishes at 9:41 pm (15 min)
  • At 10:33 pm Haunted Mansion had a 35 min posted wait time but it actually was a 10 min wait time.
My thoughts about the party as a first timer, I really think it was a fun way to spend the evening and experience a different atmosphere at MK. I enjoy the low wait times, the entertainment and trick or treating.

Do I think is worth it? It depends the price you pay and how many times you have been to MK. If this is your first or second time I don't think the party is good for you, you are probably gonna have fun anyway but isn't the quintessential Magic Kingdom experience and you don't have as much time like in a regular day. Also, I don't think you should pay more for this party that you would pay for a regular park ticket, when the cost for this party is more than a park ticket it stops being worth it for me.
Thanks for the info. Can't wait to go in 2 weeks!

Now that I've had a day to gather my thoughts about MNSSHP...

So I've been to a few MNSSHPs in the past between 2016-2019. My first MNSSHP in 2016 was really fun, the ride wait times were low so got on lots of rides, got ridiculous amounts of candy without even trying too hard.

But I didn't really find last night's MNSSHP as fun as I remember it to be. Overall still fun, just a lot less so than before I feel.

Several things that might have contributed to this
  • Crowds - fairly long lines at treat trails at the start/end of the party, both parades and fireworks felt really crowded. For previous MNSSHPs I don't remember going to a treat trail and deciding to keep walking because of how long the line was, but this happened many times last night... and the trails moved really slowly especially after they reduced the number of candy barrels to 1 towards the end of the night. And even the final Hocus Pocus at midnight was extremely well attended, where before I remember it used to be quite empty at the midnight show.
  • Ride wait times generally felt a bit long. After a 40 minute wait for Space Mountain near the start of the party I decided to give up on rides for the duration of the party and do other things instead - it's just so much easier to do rides at other times using Genie+ that it wasn't worth trying to do them during MNSSHP.
  • It might just be that I'm currently a bit "Disneyed out" and may have done MNSSHP enough times that the parade/Hocus Pocus are no longer fresh/new for me.
I had originally comtemplated doing a second MNSSHP this trip until the second date I wanted sold out, now I'm quite glad that I didn't manage to get that second ticket because once this trip was definitely enough.

That’s one of the reasons I stopped going and this weekend I will be attending my first Universal Studios Haunted Night Event .
But I don’t like to be scared . So I’m very nervous .
Universal actually offers one Free entry night for their premium Annual Passholders so if I leave before it gets really dark I won’t feel like I wasted my money since it was Free .
“FREE” is a terrifying word for Disney apparently .
Or a word Disney does not understand definition of as in free dining .

Last edited:
What if you just want to buy one?
I think they offer a small 3 photo package in Main Street Emporium or at Disney Springs Guest Services located by Ghirardellis …
and the location at DS has a photographer with special selections for the image you choose to be inserted : fun for families !

That’s one of the reasons I stopped going and this weekend I will be attending my first Universal Studios Haunted Night Event .
Universal actually offers one Free entry night for their premium Annual Passholders so if I leave before it gets really dark I won’t feel like I wasted my money since it was Free .
You don’t like being scared?! Just the ads for that event scare me 😂

Does the app stay updated for wait times during the party? We went to a HS After Hours party and I was surprised that I couldn't check wait times on my phone, only on the boards they had around the park.

I think they offer a small 3 photo package in Main Street Emporium or at Disney Springs Guest Services located by Ghirardellis …
and the location at DS has a photographer with special selections for the image you choose to be inserted : fun for families !
I would like to get the Huey, Dewey and Louey photo but dont necessarily want more. I am bounding at Donald duck so it seemed like a fun pic to get. I may just go ahead an buy a one day MM which i should probably do today if i want it

I was considering buying Genie for the 4-6 hours, but just got an ADR for Storybook Dining at 4:00 pm for my party night on October 29th. I think we will just enjoy that, and hope to do a few rides at the party. If the lines are too long, we will wing it and settle for the parade, fireworks and shows. I won't love that, but I don't want to get worked up about it and not have a good time.

I was considering buying Genie for the 4-6 hours, but just got an ADR for Storybook Dining at 4:00 pm for my party night on October 29th. I think we will just enjoy that, and hope to do a few rides at the party. If the lines are too long, we will wing it and settle for the parade, fireworks and shows. I won't love that, but I don't want to get worked up about it and not have a good time.
Have so much fun! Genie+ is not available during parties so you won't miss out on anything!

We entered with our APs at 3 pm on 9/8. There was no issue going to the far left entrance and got right in.
We’re thinking that’s the safest bet. Eat an early lunch at our resort, head towards MK at around 2 pm, ride some fast loading low wait AC rides before dinner at 4 pm. No Genie+, but might book SDMT LL 5-6 pm (or 3-4 pm). If we see a low waits for wristbands in Fantasyland we will get them before heading to dinner.

We won’t stay until park close (maybe until 11 pm) when the ride waits will most likely drop-10/31 so it will be more crowded; I’m sure Disney sells more tickets to the higher priced parties.

So has the wait at Cosmic Ray's been a mess for everyone or has anyone had a good experience there? My plan was to eat there because I want the chicken sandwich, but my backup choice is Pecos Bills so I'm wondering what my chances are.

I really wish they had mobile order during the party.

So has the wait at Cosmic Ray's been a mess for everyone or has anyone had a good experience there? My plan was to eat there because I want the chicken sandwich, but my backup choice is Pecos Bills so I'm wondering what my chances are.

I really wish they had mobile order during the party.
Post 1554 on the previous page said it was 55 mins? Maybe wait to eat later in the night?

We booked an ADR at 4 pm so we will have room left to snack around 9-10 pm (so check close times for restaurants; sometimes Pecos bill closes early; today they’re open until 11 pm on a MNSSHP night, but I wouldn’t wait until the last min to order; cosmic rays is open until 12 am).

Columbia harbor house is only open until 4:45! They have a really good Happy Haunts milk shake that’s topped with a fresh donut.

Pecos bill has gone downhill (meat is stale; CMs slow; missing items and it took us 1 hour to get to the front of the line; another 40 to wait for the chef for an allergy order) but is usually our lunch spot because DS can’t have eggs/dairy.

Last edited:
We've done like 6+ MNSHHP parties over the years and did HHN for the first time ever on a last minute whim 30 minutes after it started last year. I am not a horror or haunted house person whatsoever, my boys really wanted to try it even though they were young (10 and 12), and Islands of Adv seemed crowded at 730p, so I said why not. I've been classically brainwashed to plan out every theme park thanks to Disney so we were going in blind not knowing what to expect or have any real strategy. We loved it, especially me, and it wasn't AS scary as I thought it would be. There's some gore but it was mainly just alot of jump scares in the houses and the scare zones and that's it (it helped my oldest son screamed like a girl so they targeted him relentlessly lol). I was in awe and appreciated the detail they put into the haunted houses and sets and costumes. Long story short we're hooked and doing it again this year. I'm more excited for it than the MNSHHP this year (especially when you factor in cost and crowds). It's definitely a sharp contrast but fun in a different way.

If you can stay until midnight, you can ride a few rides with low waits after 11 pm.

We have CRT at 4 pm (Storybook Dining is a good way to start the party esp when lines to meet characters- the dwarfs/Jack&sally are 2 hrs at the party and it’s so hot; wait at the gates is 35-45 mins at that time) so we will be starting the party meeting princesses. Do budget travel time as some people reported it taking 40 mins to get to Mk (via monorail; boats will be better but not by much) and then 20 mins at the turnstiles. We’ve done Ohana in the past but the crowds at the gates were never this bad. We didn’t want to add anymore travel time post dinner.

We are planning on doing at least two meet & greets (Seven Dwarfs) & Eric/Ariel (3 year old will be dressed as Ariel). We will watch fireworks and second parade; hopefully kids get to dance with Max Powerline and attend a dance party (Tomorrowland party was the highlight of our NYE trip). Winnie the Pooh is a maybe; Mickey we will meet on another night.

We’ve seen hocus Pocus before so we might walk by towards the end. Get a popcorn bucket if it’s not sold out and lines are not long (Merch tends to sell out by end of Oct). And trick or treat and few rides after fireworks (we have another full MK day.

We went in 2019 and you can read reviews on how bad that party was. We haven’t been to a Halloween party since. We figure nothing can be worse than that party.

https://allears.net/reviews/mickeys-not-so-scary-halloween-party-magic-kingdom/page/2/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter