****Official August 2015 Check-In Thread****

19 days until our trip! A couple days ago I spent close to 2 hours on the phone calling the GCH and Orbitz to change my reservations around. I had the Grand booked directly in May, then saw a 15% off promo with Orbitz, so I booked that, and then on the 20th Disney finally announced their fall deal with an AP discount of 25% off. Problem is, though, that we're arriving at the Grand on the 15th and the promo doesn't start until the 16th. So, the first guy that I talked to at Walt Disney Travel Company told me that I couldn't get the promo if I started on the 15th, and that our Woods/Courtyard category wasn't available anyway. So, I ended up looking online and saw that the Woods/Courtyard was available on the 16th (just not the 15th) so I booked the 16th through the 19th with the promo, and then called Disney again to make sure that I wouldn't have to check in and check out on the 16th since I'll have two different reservations. The first person said that I would have to switch rooms, but then she connected me directly to the hotel, and he said that would be silly, and he will just link the reservations. But then I called Orbitz and thought it would be easy to just change my reservation to one night instead of 4, but it sure wasn't easy! I ended up talking to 4 different agents, and I yelled at 2 of them! Just so that others know... their change policy is really strange. You have to book a new reservation and then drop your old one. So, that meant that I wouldn't get the 15% off that I had with my original booking. Finally, I talked to someone who was able to give me 10 % off after I demanded my 15 % off and they gave me a $50 voucher for the future (which I probably won't use, since I am pretty fed up with them.) But for all of that hassle, I ended up saving about $300 and we get 4 any time Fast Passes and a free 5x7 photo with the AP deal.

We also decided to visit Legoland on this trip (at the beginning, while we're at the HOJO.) We went last year and didn't really like it, but DH won 2 free passes. I had to buy passes for the kids, and we haven't received DHs free passes in the mail yet, so I'm a bit stressed about that! Planning to spend most of that day in the water park.
Wow sounds like a real pain but saving $300 I'd go through all of that. I rebooked our same reservation two additional times already to save a few bucks here and there. It all adds up!

Things just clicked in to do a last minute trip the first week of August. Dates are still a bit fluid as I need to figure out accommodations. Just me and the younger "child".

Squee!!

Just saw this thread. We are staying at the embassy suites from 8/14-8/21 and doing 2-3 Disneyland days along with universal and other sights. Then we are going to San Diego for 4 nights. We have never been and very excited.

It is me, dh, ds 11 and dd 7. Dd and I were in Disney world this month. Can't wait.

Everything is starting to come together. We hit the road from Seattle to Anaheim two weeks from today! Our reservations are all set and I just finished up making 6 autograph books for the kids in our group! We have completely cleaned the inside of our RV and reorganized to maximize the storage space. Hubby is going to work on the outside storage bins and do a couple repairs this weekend as well as fuel it up so we don't have to worry about that. Now I'm just working on details like the grocery and packing lists and giving the kids some chores around the house so we can leave it in decent shape.

Of my three daughters, only our oldest knows about the trip so far. Our other two think we're going camping in Oregon. It's a good thing they have no clue how long it takes to get anywhere because they keep asking how long we'll be driving before we get where we're going. I wonder if they'll notice when we cross over into California. Two more weeks to keep the big secret.

We've still got 27 days left until our trip starts, but you early August people are getting close!! Please be sure to report back on how your trip went. I've been nervous all summer about the crowds and I keep trying to reassure myself that it will be fun and try not to stress because then I'm sure I won't have a good time. I plan on using Ridemax to create a plan and that is about all I have left to do. DS is super excited and we can't wait!

1 week from today we arrive!!! At this time next week we should have 2 kids en route to bed after dinner at goofy's kitchen! Can't wait!

Mom and daughter trip Aug 25-29. Just DD17, DD14 and me!! DD17 will be a senior and DD14 a freshman so this is was our excuse for a celebration trip. Kept changing my reservations trying to make it as cheap as possible and ended up at the Castle Inn for less than others. I could have gotten Desert Inn for $89 but kept procrastinating as the price kept increasing but got the Castle Inn for less than that by booking thru Get Away Today. I know we'll have to walk a little further and I wish we were right across the street but we're taking that $100 savings and bought 4 day Park Hoppers rather than 3! So excited to be there with just two children rather than 4 or 5! In 4 days we'll be able to see and do a ton.

Mom and daughter trip Aug 25-29. Just DD17, DD14 and me!! DD17 will be a senior and DD14 a freshman so this is was our excuse for a celebration trip. Kept changing my reservations trying to make it as cheap as possible and ended up at the Castle Inn for less than others. I could have gotten Desert Inn for $89 but kept procrastinating as the price kept increasing but got the Castle Inn for less than that by booking thru Get Away Today. I know we'll have to walk a little further and I wish we were right across the street but we're taking that $100 savings and bought 4 day Park Hoppers rather than 3! So excited to be there with just two children rather than 4 or 5! In 4 days we'll be able to see and do a ton.

We stayed at Castle Inn on our first trip in 2011. It was the right price and a good sized suite. DH and I got a king bed in the front room and the kids each slept in their own queen sized bed in the bedroom. I'm pretty sure I paid less than $200 a night. The room was really dated, but I'm pretty sure they have replaced the furniture recently. DH called it "3's company Inn" because that's how old the furniture looked! The hotel staff were really polite and helpful. Our fridge door didn't close all the way, and they replaced the fridge very quickly after I called the front desk.

The walk wasn't too bad. I think it took us around 10 minutes from the hotel room to the main gates. There's also a little market across the street, which is a quick and easy place to get water and snacks.

Didn't think I'd ever do a summer trip as I'm terrified of Disneyland when it's overly crowded. But my sister just moved here with her two kids and they are dying to do a Disney trip before school starts. It will be their first time ever! We booked for Aug 3-6th at the Disneyland hotel. I'm so nervous about the summer crowds that I've thought about talking my sister out of it and trying again maybe early next year. Has anyone been first week of August? Any survival tips?

Didn't think I'd ever do a summer trip as I'm terrified of Disneyland when it's overly crowded. But my sister just moved here with her two kids and they are dying to do a Disney trip before school starts. It will be their first time ever! We booked for Aug 3-6th at the Disneyland hotel. I'm so nervous about the summer crowds that I've thought about talking my sister out of it and trying again maybe early next year. Has anyone been first week of August? Any survival tips?

I've been in mid July and in Late August, and both times it was busy, but not impossible. With good planning, you don't have to wait in any lines longer than 30 minutes. Since you're staying onsite, take advantage of early entry and then go back to the pool for the afternoon. Plan for most of your rides in the morning and shows later in the day. I love Disneyland in the summer. We've been in September, and there just wasn't enough going on and the parks didn't open until 10am.

Hit the parks as early as possible in the morning and get as many rides in as you can. Before you leave to take a break around noon or one, snag a Fastpass or two (if you're park hopping and want one in DCA for say, Grizzly River Run) for later in the evening.

Take a break mid day after it gets pretty crowded, enjoy that awesome DLH pool! With lunch and drinks from Tangaroa Terrace and Trader Sams!

Come back late afternoon with time to catch Mickey and the Magical Map or Aladdin and enjoy the night time ambience.

Have fun planning!

Staying at the PPH Aug 22-26 with DH, DD 5, and DS 4.

Super excited to see PTN!! Haven't seen a parade since I was a kid.....decades ago

9 days til we leave! And classic me, I'm still agonizing about our hotel choice. As mentioned earlier, we have one of the bunk bed rooms at the Springhill Convention Center, and I don't have any concerns about the hotel itself or its location. However, we have two younger kids, two of us, and two teens going-the hotel sleeps 7, so we are fine re beds, but I'm worried about a week with that many people and no separation of space. So I'm looking at a condo rental over in the Pepperwood area, right across from Disney Way. Any experience staying in that area?

Also hoping to book Napa Rose for a special night out for husband and I; we've never been! We do have BB Fantasmic package booked; I'm a little torn on that one as I've always found the food there to be mediocre and sooo overpriced, but I want the dining package for Fantasmic and I figure it can be the splurge meal for the kids. Only other booked meal we have is a Plaza character breakfast. I think we'll try the new PPH buffet, since it's reasonable and getting raves. What meals do the rest of you have planned?

Since we have a couple no-park days, thinking we'll head to Farrell's; my 18 year old had her 5th birthday party at the one up here before they all closed and it would be fun to go back and let the younger kids experience it.

One week from tomorrow we start our Disneyland summer vacation. I cannot wait! Accuweather is putting temps in the low to mid-90s. We have cooling bandanas, stroller fans, and water bottles. Can anyone else think of items to keep my toddlers cool? We're not that far away--it's usually cooler in Anaheim than where we are, but we don't usually spend the day outside when it's like this, so I want to be prepared. We'll take a break around 1 or 2 at the hotel and my older son will play in the water area, but I know it will be hot earlier than that.

Aside from worrying about the heat, I'm already drooling thinking of some of the foods I plan to try this time. You'd think after 28 years of trips I would have tried everything, but no, there's always more. Shooting for the Harbour Galley baked potatoes this time since so many people swear they're the best deal for the price you pay and one of the huge sundae's from the ice cream shop. We decided not to to TS this time since our toddlers just can't sit still long enough to make it worth the money. Hoping we can get an okay spot for Fantasmic without the fancy dinner...

What meals do the rest of you have planned?

Last year in the August forum, we did a Question of the Week, so I thought I would start that off in this group. I like limace's question (and since I can't think of one of my own). So, let's have that as our first

:flower1::flower1:Question of the Week::flower1::flower1:

What meals do you have planned for your upcoming trip?

Last year in the August forum, we did a Question of the Week, so I thought I would start that off in this group. I like limace's question (and since I can't think of one of my own). So, let's have that as our first

I always have at least one fried green tomato sandwich. It is my favorite thing in the parks.

I've made and changed and canceled our dining reservations far too many times now! We're going during the D23 weekend, so I'm a little worried that it may be hard to get a table at the last minute. So far this is what we have reserved:
  • Plaza Inn breakfast for our first day (this has become a tradition)
  • Dinner at Cafe Orleans on the first day (LOVE the Mickey Bignets! Forgot to order the Pomme Frits last time, so can't wait to try this. Not going to bother with the Monte Cristo this time, as I didn't really care for it.)
  • Lunch at Blue Bayou. Booked for 11:30 and we'll show up early to get a waterside table.
  • Breakfast at Storyteller's. This is the only character breakfast we haven't tried, and we're staying at GCH so we'd like to try it.
  • WOC lunch at Carthay Circle
  • Lunch at Rainforest Cafe (only because the kids wanted to. I don't really like it there.)
So, those are all of the reservations. We'll likely have lunches and dinners at Plaza Inn because we LOVE the fried chicken dinner there. We're also going to hit up Earl of Sandwich quite a bit, I think.

I always have at least one fried green tomato sandwich. It is my favorite thing in the parks.
The kids love sitting in the lower part of Hungry Bear to feed french fries to the ducks. Last year we saw Tiana come through that way - I guess that's her route from the backstage to her meet and greet area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter