Official Castaway Cay 5K Thread

Hi All,

I'm not sure if this question has already been asked but my friend and I are planning on doing the CC5K while we are on our 7 night Western Carribean Cruise on the Fantasy in September. It is just the two of us taking the trip and we both want to do the run so was wondering about what we should do with our beach stuff with we run? Are their lockers that you can leave stuff in or will we need to go back to the boat to collect these after?

Also I did a 3 night cruise about 10 years ago and remember that there were characters available on your way from the boat to the beach, if we do the run does that mean we will be miss out on the characters in their beach wear?

Any advice you can offer would be great.

Thanks,
You can get off the boat and stay to front of the running crowd and leave your bags on a lounge chair as you will pass some of the beach area on the way to the start line...many people did this in June when we cruised. If you are not comfortable with that, you will need to re-board the ship to get your things.

F&F2004 (sorry I'm not good at the whole quoting thing! Hope you see this!)

You can also (depending on how much stuff you have) put your things in a crate/bin thing they have. It closes and there are cast members there, so over all it's pretty safe. I had a bag and just tossed it in there! Worked for me! But if that doesn't work for you or Iloveplutos option (with the beach drop off) then yeah, you'll have to board the ship again! Best of luck!

I have a question though!!

I know with all the running being a bigger thing with Disney, that they have now all the big marathons and stuff. I know for the Princess Half Marathon they made the CC5k a combo and changed some things for CC5k. But has anyone run it since February and know if they were permanent changes or that was just a whole bunch of awesomeness just for the PHM? Thanks!

F&F2004 (sorry I'm not good at the whole quoting thing! Hope you see this!)

You can also (depending on how much stuff you have) put your things in a crate/bin thing they have. It closes and there are cast members there, so over all it's pretty safe. I had a bag and just tossed it in there! Worked for me! But if that doesn't work for you or Iloveplutos option (with the beach drop off) then yeah, you'll have to board the ship again! Best of luck!

I have a question though!!

I know with all the running being a bigger thing with Disney, that they have now all the big marathons and stuff. I know for the Princess Half Marathon they made the CC5k a combo and changed some things for CC5k. But has anyone run it since February and know if they were permanent changes or that was just a whole bunch of awesomeness just for the PHM? Thanks!
Hi there! I just ran the CC5k on June 28 and it was a simple 5k race. No official timing. I never even saw the photographer who took a small handful of pics while running.

Hi there! I just ran the CC5k on June 28 and it was a simple 5k race. No official timing. I never even saw the photographer who took a small handful of pics while running.

Oooh! Took a good bit, but finally figured out the quote thing! Ha ha! And what a bummer! :( I'd even pay like the fee of a regular 5k just to have it spiced up a bit! Especially since it's hotter than most, making it quite a challenge! Thanks for intel!

Oooh! Took a good bit, but finally figured out the quote thing! Ha ha! And what a bummer! :( I'd even pay like the fee of a regular 5k just to have it spiced up a bit! Especially since it's hotter than most, making it quite a challenge! Thanks for intel!
Well if you buy yourself a shirt after the race, you will have paid for a 5k....also, all this talk about how hot it is...I was concerned at first, so I put Castaway Cay on my iPhone weather app and saw that the daily high there is 82-84 right now. I had been living in 90 degree days for the couple weeks prior to leaving for the cruise so I figured I had nothing to worry about...AND i was right!!! There was a lovely breeze coming in and BOTH days we docked at CC, the mornings were somewhat overcast so the CC5k was not a scorcher for me....maybe for others who have been there it's been bright and sunny first thing in the morning, but that is not what I experienced at all and we made 2 stops there.

Well if you buy yourself a shirt after the race, you will have paid for a 5k....also, all this talk about how hot it is...I was concerned at first, so I put Castaway Cay on my iPhone weather app and saw that the daily high there is 82-84 right now. I had been living in 90 degree days for the couple weeks prior to leaving for the cruise so I figured I had nothing to worry about...AND i was right!!! There was a lovely breeze coming in and BOTH days we docked at CC, the mornings were somewhat overcast so the CC5k was not a scorcher for me....maybe for others who have been there it's been bright and sunny first thing in the morning, but that is not what I experienced at all and we made 2 stops there.

That sounds nice! I ran it in February, it was yucky, but I survived! This coming year I shall be running it in January, so maybe I'll get good weather this time! And I'll hafta buy a shirt! I guess I am just spoiled by all other races and now the PHM, ha ha. But I'm excited to run this coming year because I wont be alone! My bestie will be joining me and it will be her first 5k! Yay for running!

Hi. I know the timing isn't official but is there a clock or something there that you can see your time when you cross the finish line?
Once I am done, how do I get to SB and my cabana?
Thank you.

There is a clock at the finish so you can see your time. I have only checked into the family cabanas after the race, but I would imagine there is a cart/tram to take you to the ones on Serenity as well. I am sure some one who knows will answer as well.

Hi. I know the timing isn't official but is there a clock or something there that you can see your time when you cross the finish line?
Once I am done, how do I get to SB and my cabana?
Thank you.

There is a clock at the end to see your time! And the end of the race is right in the thick of things, it's pretty much like a big loop so you end where you start and there are shops and the trams to take you whereever! You get on island early and finish early and have the whole day to travel about the island and do everything! :)

Well the BIG permanent change is the new medal. If you look back maybe 10 pages there is a pic of the new rubber medal that is bright and colorful. They created that for the 5K part of the Castaway Challenge for the January marathon weekend event. And they kept it. Instead of the old hard plastic Mickey ears with a sticker on it, which was and is also given out for hoops shooting contests, trivia, etc, it's a real 5K medal.

They are doing the Castaway Challenge on the Dream cruise following the January marathon event this year, but they are NOT doing it after Princess.

Last Jan and Feb they still ran the normal free "island 5K" after the paid 5K.

I'd even pay like the fee of a regular 5k just to have it spiced up a bit!

Oh don't tell Disney that. Having a basically-casual free island 5K that has a clock (you check it), an adorable medal, and is just FUN is too good. You can still buy shirts and DS got a hat last October and pins. It's a good thing.

Well the BIG permanent change is the new medal. If you look back maybe 10 pages there is a pic of the new rubber medal that is bright and colorful. They created that for the 5K part of the Castaway Challenge for the January marathon weekend event. And they kept it. Instead of the old hard plastic Mickey ears with a sticker on it, which was and is also given out for hoops shooting contests, trivia, etc, it's a real 5K medal.

They are doing the Castaway Challenge on the Dream cruise following the January marathon event this year, but they are NOT doing it after Princess.

Oh don't tell Disney that. Having a basically-casual free island 5K that has a clock (you check it), an adorable medal, and is just FUN is too good. You can still buy shirts and DS got a hat last October and pins. It's a good thing.

Thanks so much for the info! Checked out the new and improved medal! That is awesome!! :yay: Hope it's still there in January! My friend will be running this as her first 5k, I'm glad she'll have a great memento for the memories!

Update:

completed the CC 5K with a broken arm!!!!
:cheer2::banana:party:

so, before the day asked MANY CM's about the 5k and how long a CM would be there. Of course I got many different answers, but pretty much all agreed that they would be there as long as it took for everyone to complete the 5k. some said up to 1 1/2 hours, and another said that towards the end they will have a CM ride a bike through the course to make sure everyone is through. I did see a CM come through on a bike.

I finished in just under an hour... so very happy considering the broken arm!

I had a lot of people cheer me on and support me throughout the race... so if you were one of those people on July 3rd that cheered me on, I give a heartfelt thanks to you. DH was at the end waiting for me, and he said a bunch of people came back to cheer me as I finished. You have no idea how much that meant to me!

so for anyone considering doing this go for it! It was awesome!!!

some helpful info to share:

As far as souvenirs go... the tshirts were there, and replenished later in the day as we went back souvenir shopping. they also had a auto decal (that is now proudly displayed on my car!), a hat and also there was a plastic mug/water bottle with the logo on it too.

Oh, and 1 more hint for those that walk slower, or need more time... when you go to the meeting place (on the Fantasy it was the Tube) position yourself toward the exit as you wait for everyone to register. that way as you head off of the ship you are toward the front of the pack and can make it to the starting line with a little extra time available to get there.

and we were the first of the ship, kind of fun to do that. I saw many people in the front go and drop off their bags on the beach on the way to the 5k.

to everyone... thanks for all of the help and support! I am so proud to say this was my first official 5k!!!!
Congratulations
We did the CC5K on our Dream cruise la couple of weeks ago and we signed up our kids (8, 6) for the kids club on the island at the check-in meeting spot (for us it was in the D Lounge). Our check in time was 0830, and we started to debark at 0900. When the group got off the ship, we all walked to the starting line and the 5 families that had kids to drop off did that before the race started.

For those doing the race, it was HOT! Don't forget to apply a generous amount of sunscreen and keep hydrated. Even though it was hot and humid, it was so much fun. We would definitely do it again on our next cruise.
We did the CC5K on our Dream cruise la couple of weeks ago and we signed up our kids (8, 6) for the kids club on the island at the check-in meeting spot (for us it was in the D Lounge). Our check in time was 0830, and we started to debark at 0900. When the group got off the ship, we all walked to the starting line and the 5 families that had kids to drop off did that before the race started.

For those doing the race, it was HOT! Don't forget to apply a generous amount of sunscreen and keep hydrated. Even though it was hot and humid, it was so much fun. We would definitely do it again on our next cruise.
Congratulations! Did you receive one of the newer, rubber CC5K medals ?

The last year or so it's been 10+, I believe, to participate and get a bib and medal.

There is no cost in the normal island 5K. (the non-normal 5Ks are something you wouldn't accidentally come across so you don't have to worry about it, and if you're on the Dream cruise in January when they'll have one again, they'll ALSO have the free one, no worries!)

Princess wrote "they did make an announcement...that the kids clubs are open to have kids dropped off on the way to the 5K start." :)
Thank you for the information!

For those asking about the clock, remember to look at it as you START, as well. Because it doesn't help you if you only know your finish time as compared to "gun" time. You want to know how long you took from your own start!

Hola!!! The medal is for all the 5K? No matter in what ship you go? My DH did it last year in Dream and they gave him the super cute plastic mickey ears. This year we are going in Magic and it will be my first 5K!! OMG!!! Super excited!!! Thanks!

The new medal is the new medal for the island 5K. I believe it's carried by the ships, and that's why some 5Ks didn't have it immediately following the first Challenge this January (b/c the ships had to get stock of the new medal), but now it's all of them.

The new medal is the new medal for the island 5K. I believe it's carried by the ships, and that's why some 5Ks didn't have it immediately following the first Challenge this January (b/c the ships had to get stock of the new medal), but now it's all of them.
So exciting!! Thanks for your help!

I really hope they still do the medals or have 2016 ones in January when I am there. I have never done a 5k because the Disneyland ones are so expensive and I am not confident in my ability to get up before the sun or run/jog that far. This will be a good test!

I really hope they still do the medals or have 2016 ones in January when I am there. I have never done a 5k because the Disneyland ones are so expensive and I am not confident in my ability to get up before the sun or run/jog that far. This will be a good test!

I don't know when you are cruising in January, but there is another Castaway Cay Challenge race on the January 11-15th Dream cruise. To do this challenge you also need to run one of the races (5K or longer) during the marathon week at WDW just before this. This is when they introduced the new medals last year. The pictures the show on the runDisney site show the following medals.CastawayChallenge.jpg

I don't know when you are cruising in January, but there is another Castaway Cay Challenge race on the January 11-15th Dream cruise. To do this challenge you also need to run one of the races (5K or longer) during the marathon week at WDW just before this. This is when they introduced the new medals last year. The pictures the show on the runDisney site show the following medals.View attachment 132272

I will be on the January 8th sailing. I may ask them about it when I get on the ship and make my decision from there. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter