Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

We got two 6" cakes delivered to our resort for our 6 and 8 year old's birthdays for $130 each and...they're pretty gross. I asked for buttercream outside and inside, but instead they did a buttercream crumb coat and then some weird colored whipped cream frosting on the outside. Also the decorations were just this side of what I could get at a local grocery store. For the money, seriously disappointed. Both kids loved the look of the cakes but wouldn't eat after one bite. Maybe we're just spoiled because I make cakes and we have an AMAZING cake place near us that would've covered it with intricate flowers and an amazing tasting buttercream, but we were left seriously underwhelmed and will not be ordering cakes in the future. For $130 each I really expected maybe a couple of rosettes or swirls on the sides or something. The Belle ball gown one was particularly disappointing decoration wise.

View attachment 657546View attachment 657545
We had a similar experience. They (GF bakery) said no way fondant on a 6 inch cake for $100 (before decorations). Then the inside of the cake was undercooked and raw (dirhea) and our Dd also had a reaction - violent vomiting (it tasted like a spice cake even though we ordered vanilla with strawberries; she’s allergic to nuts). They did refund it but we lost a few hours of our park day and thankfully Benadryl worked.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry you had a crumby experience. Which bakery was this?
We got two 6" cakes delivered to our resort for our 6 and 8 year old's birthdays for $130 each and...they're pretty gross. I asked for buttercream outside and inside, but instead they did a buttercream crumb coat and then some weird colored whipped cream frosting on the outside. Also the decorations were just this side of what I could get at a local grocery store. For the money, seriously disappointed. Both kids loved the look of the cakes but wouldn't eat after one bite. Maybe we're just spoiled because I make cakes and we have an AMAZING cake place near us that would've covered it with intricate flowers and an amazing tasting buttercream, but we were left seriously underwhelmed and will not be ordering cakes in the future. For $130 each I really expected maybe a couple of rosettes or swirls on the sides or something. The Belle ball gown one was particularly disappointing decoration wise.

View attachment 657546View attachment 657545

Has anyone else has issues over email with GF? I feel like I am going back and forth and not really getting anywhere. They don't seem overly helpful at all which is really disappointing. Making me wonder if I should give them a miss!

Last edited:
Here is the cake from Erin McKenna delivered to our resort. 6 inch cake for $79 ($10 for strawberries.) You have to be checked in and they only deliver in the morning so we had it delivered the next day.

28D33AE2-1A98-498C-ABAF-05643EB5FB3B.jpeg
078282ED-DACC-4DD9-AE2D-9C0DE26005B6.jpeg

It was dense as expected and the frosting was coconut based and thick. It was blondie cake with strawberries and chocolate frosting (they don’t let you choose different filling and frosting flavors, but the vanilla icing/frosting flavor was better than chocolate) and tasted great for an allergy safe treat. I would skip the strawberries the next time as they were hard to cut through.

Last edited:
Has anyone had a custom cake and a fireworks cruise? I’m thinking a cruise at the MK but Epcot would work too. Are you allowed to bring food/drinks? Would I need to pick up the cake? Thanks for any help.

Cakes can be delivered directly to the boat for you by Private Dining at the resort from which the cruise departs. Unfortunately, right now only the Grand Floridian is offering Private Dining.

Equestrian themed cake from the contemporary bakery (served at Steakhouse71), 6 inch vanilla cake with raspberry mousse and chocolate buttercream under fondant. $120. Flavor, freshness, decorations and attention to details exceeded expectations. Our daughter’s picture with a horse was in the front. Cake was completely peanut, tree nut (except coconut), sesame and sunflower seed free (she is ok with sunflower lecithin).

5CEB5B33-1951-447D-8704-6FEAC5A17D23.jpeg
9E678A7A-BB7C-42FA-B85C-5C3ABE6AEC0C.jpeg

AC4BAF15-3F22-4112-9B97-6BF2CD683813.jpeg

Edit: I also didn’t have to prepay and paid for it as part of our dinner. No discounts there, and I did tip the 20% even though we pretty much had no help cutting or serving and it took forever to get it.

Last edited:
Update to my cake ordering saga:

background: I was attempting to order a cake through the Contemporary for next week, was having issues getting a hold of someone. I wasn’t sure if the numbers I was calling were correct, having left a voicemail at two different ones.

After leaving a voicemail at the Contemporary private dining number last night, I received a phonecall from them today. I talked directly to the bakery and was able to successfully order a cake. I believe I spoke with Yvonne. She sounded British, and was delightful to talk to. I ended up ordering an 8 inch, 3 tier vanilla cake with strawberry mousse. It will be topped with fondant and decorated with star wars theme. I told them to go crazy. Cost was $109. Literally half the cost of what the Grand Floridian quoted me last week. I am excited now!! The lady I spoke with was super nice and helpful.
When are you getting your cake? I'd love to see it. I was quoted something like $350 for an 8inch + a 6inch cake from GF. Now I'm wondering if I should call for an estimate from Contemporary.

When are you getting your cake? I'd love to see it. I was quoted something like $350 for an 8inch + a 6inch cake from GF. Now I'm wondering if I should call for an estimate from Contemporary.
Here is my cake from last week. 8 inch, 3 tier vanilla cake with strawberry mousse. Star wars themed. I paid $120ish, which included an extra cost for the white chocolate millennium falcon (my sons favorite part) and fondant. The fondant extra cost was like $12, I almost laughed when she asked if I was okay with that cost. $12 is a bargain for an upgrade on anything at Disney!

We had a party of 8, with everyone taking a slice we ate half the cake at the restaurant. Due to some food poisoning (not the cake) our family was unable to eat the rest of it until we got home. It traveled amazingly well in the overhead bin of the airplane.

Everyone agreed the cake was amazingly tasty. I would definitely recommend!

Also, I didn’t have to prepay for it, which confused the restaurant. But I was able to apply my 10% disney visa discount to it since we were eating at Whispering Canyon and that restaurant is eligible for that discount.

One final thing, they wouldn’t give us a candle due to covid since we “couldn’t blow on things”. Which is stupid. But oh well. The waitress did a funny happy birthday song where my son has to shout “ME!!” at various points throughout the song.

C4C49862-E334-41A9-B67E-2204232C0BBE.jpeg255DB97A-B97B-4DC8-B907-83608456FEB7.jpeg

Equestrian themed cake from the contemporary bakery (served at Steakhouse71), 6 inch vanilla cake with raspberry mousse and chocolate buttercream under fondant. $120. Flavor, freshness, decorations and attention to details exceeded expectations. Our daughter’s picture with a horse was in the front. Cake was completely peanut, tree nut (except coconut), sesame and sunflower seed free (she is ok with sunflower lecithin).

Edit: I also didn’t have to prepay and paid for it as part of our dinner. No discounts there, and I did tip the 20% even though we pretty much had no help cutting or serving and it took forever to get it.

Here is my cake from last week. 8 inch, 3 tier vanilla cake with strawberry mousse. Star wars themed. I paid $120ish, which included an extra cost for the white chocolate millennium falcon (my sons favorite part) and fondant. The fondant extra cost was like $12, I almost laughed when she asked if I was okay with that cost. $12 is a bargain for an upgrade on anything at Disney!
Thank you both for sharing the details and photos of your experience!

If I wanted a cake delivered to Jiko , it would need to be a minimum of 100.00 and I would have to call the Grand Floridian, correct? Also, does anyone know if they are doing candles yet or will they soon be?

Super awesome! Thanks so much for sharing - and with such detail :)

I went ahead and made a call to the Contemporary - made the mistake of waiting on hold to be transferred to the recordered line talking about celebration cakes. Then called dining line and left message. Got a prompt call and follow-up email.

She said they contemporary doesn't offer mini cakes, which I'm kinda bummed about - and they can't do chantilly frosting if they are transporting to Wilderness Lodge (understandable)

but so far my base 6" ocean themed cake with fruit mousse and a model chocolate octapus and cupcake with flat white chocolate fireworks and castle prints will be under $100.00.

I've just put in a request for more glitz and shimmer. I know my daughter will appreciate the "extra".

And of course as I typed all that out, I started thinking of an Eiffel tower cake with macarons and butterflies and it looked sooooooo pretty in my head. This cake thing is so addictive!

We had a party of 8, with everyone taking a slice we ate half the cake at the restaurant. Due to some food poisoning (not the cake) our family was unable to eat the rest of it until we got home. It traveled amazingly well in the overhead bin of the airplane.

Everyone agreed the cake was amazingly tasty. I would definitely recommend!

Also, I didn’t have to prepay for it, which confused the restaurant. But I was able to apply my 10% disney visa discount to it since we were eating at Whispering Canyon and that restaurant is eligible for that discount.

One final thing, they wouldn’t give us a candle due to covid since we “couldn’t blow on things”. Which is stupid. But oh well. The waitress did a funny happy birthday song where my son has to shout “ME!!” at various points throughout the song.

View attachment 660520View attachment 660521

Here's what I sent in to Contemporary: with my drawings.20220418_121856.jpg

Ok. For my dad's cupcake, we're going with peanut butter butter cream filling.

For Sagan's cake strawberry buttercream filling.

I've attached some terrible renderings with notes.

Summary below.

For 'Pa-Mike'
Chocolate cupcake with peanut butter butter cream.

Flat White chocolate castle print/cutout.
Shimmery white chocolate fire works
Chocolate curls sticking up/ out.
A happy birthday Pa-Mike chocolate banner

For Sagan
6", 3 layer, chocolate cake with strawberry butter cream.

Ombre blue buttercream frosting background

Happy 6th Birthday Sagan in simple letters on top.

Decorate with scrollwork and pearls - this is her 'fancy' cake.

Large friendly model chocolate octapus on top. Pastel pink.

Sides have multicolor buttercream jellyfish.

Small fish, seahorses, starfish, shells, pearls etc. Shimmery pastels. Can be any combo of buttercream, molded chocolate, sugar etc.

We aren't big fondant people. If its cheaper to do some accessories in fondant, that's OK. Just give me a heads up.

Double triple checking that the cupcake can't have Chantilly filling. I get it if not.

Here's my number if you have questions. Thank you again so much!

Attachments

• 20220418_122426.jpg
    20220418_122426.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 19
I'm looking for as much info as possible on custom cakes at Aulani. I did check out Lurkeyloo's blog. There appear to be so few people ordering them I'm not even sure what their bakery would be capable of. Does any one have any pictures? I have an idea of what I want but I'm not creative enough to make a mock up. I would love a Disney/tiki birthday cake that can feed 7 people- Any pictures of a tiki room, trader sams, or jungle cruise cake?

I'm looking for as much info as possible on custom cakes at Aulani. I did check out Lurkeyloo's blog. There appear to be so few people ordering them I'm not even sure what their bakery would be capable of. Does any one have any pictures? I have an idea of what I want but I'm not creative enough to make a mock up. I would love a Disney/tiki birthday cake that can feed 7 people- Any pictures of a tiki room, trader sams, or jungle cruise cake?
387B39A0-A5D5-4CFD-B3B5-5E181526EF40.jpeg

3D36846B-9D6F-48C4-8F97-68D819BEFEB3.jpeg96723E31-2F66-48E9-A20C-661FE1E63B75.jpeg

These are off of Google/pininterest I’m sure wallpaper and buttercream decorations would be easy to do and keep the cake reasonably priced. The rest of the decorations can add up quickly except the flowers in buttercream I suppose.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter