***Official DLR AUGUST 2022 Check-in Thread***

Hi. We have to cancel our trip and I will be cancelling several reservations. I’m happy to try coordinating timing if anyone wants to try to pick them up. All the reservations are for four people (all adults, if that makes a difference). Please DM me if you’re interested, and I’ll update the post when they’re gone.

Wednesday August 31
Lamplight Lounge Lunch
3 pm

Thursday September 1
Oga’s Dinner
4:45 pm

Thursday September 1
World of Color Dessert Party
8 pm

Friday September 2
Blue Bayou Lunch
12:00 pm
(This was supposed to be for Famtasmic! but I know they changed the rules since I booked it so it may no longer work for Fantasmic!).

Friday September 2
Trader Sam’s Dinner
4:35 pm

Friday September 2
Oga’s Dinner
6:30 pm

I posted this in the Grand Californian thread, but thought it may be helpful for anyone coming in August, especially anyone staying at a Disney property:

I just returned from our DLR trip staying at GC, I'm pretty certain our next trip will be back to DLR and not WDW (we are a 4-time WDW visitor), even though our stay at GC cost a bit more than any trip we had at WDW (2 deluxe stays). For any first time visitors coming soon, you are in for a treat. Here are a few of our highlights and I'm hoping to give some insight a few of the hot topics I've seen in the chats of late.

Early Entry -- This is an amazing benefit to staying at GC. We took advantage of it all 5 park days we had and no matter what you are looking for (paid LL attractions or volume of rides), it can work if you are willing to get downstairs a little early to the DCA or Downtown Disney exits for security. Best option was the DD exit as being at the front gates of DCA and DL are preferred for Early Entry, unless you are looking for Pixar Pier attractions or Soarin. If you have an early riser in the family, have that person get down to security by 630am and you'll be fine. The rest of the group can trickle down sometime before 7am, but make sure they all get to you by 6:55am b/c the line starts getting screened right at 7. Once you get in, you'll be able to walk to the front gates and get a spot right at the front of one of the entrances. We were first in line each day at the gates.
  • DL Early Entry- you can ride each ride at Tomorrowland or Fantasyland if you want. Prioritize going to Space Mountain or Peter Pan first and then knock out the rest of the rides. You will have no problem riding all of the rides before 8am. If you want to do Rise, get to the gate to Frontier/Galaxy by 745-750am and fast walk to Rise and you'll be there with minimal wait.
    • 8/14/22 we did PP, Alice, Toad, Snow White, Pinocchio, then lined up at the gates to Frontierland and Galaxy's edge (in front of Red Rose). They open the gate once the "welcome to DL announcement" happens and rode BTMRR, Indiana Jones, Pirates and then went to Space Mountain, Buzz and Star Tours without LLs before any waits.
    • 8/17/22 we went to Space Mtn, then went to Fantasyland to line up at the gate to Galaxy edge/Frontierland. We were close to the front of the line and ended up running a bit to start and then fast walked and were the first people on Rise. We then did Smugglers, BTMRR, Indy, Pirates, Star Tours and then did a Genie + for Space. It was about 10:15 at this point.
    • 8/19/22 we went on PP, Snow White and then lined up at the gate for Frontier/Galaxy. We were again on the first ride for Rise and then hit all of the big park rides until 1030 with minimal to no waits. Space MTN again we used our Genie+.
  • DCA Early Entry
    • 8/15/22 we went to the DCA entrance from GC and they started security at 7am and everyone was able to get in early. We headed towards pixar pier, then cut over to AC to ride Web Slingers and Guardians and walked on both. My girls wanted to split off and ride incredicoaster, Toy Story and a bunch of other rides. My son and I sprinted from Guardians and got in line at RSR and ended up with a 25 minute wait. Once done there, we grabbed breakfast at Pixar Pier, did Incredicoaster and Soarin. Crowds started picking up around 1030am and we went back to the hotel to relax/pool.
    • 8/18/22 we went to downtown disney exit of GC, and were first in line at DCA. We were the first 4 people on GOTG. When done, we walked (not fast-walked) to RSR and about 20-30 people were at the rope near RSR. They dropped the rope around 750 and let everyone queue up. There was a temp closure when at 8am and eventually it came up and we were about a 5 minute wait.
Overall, whatever is a priority to you, you can get done. For us, RSR and Rise were priorities and we were able to get on both rides 2x. Both are prone to breakdowns, so that is a concern, but if you really want to ride them, you can get there easily, b/c the rope drop people have no chance to get ahead of you.

GC Pool The pool at GC is amazing whether you want to get a ton of sun, or sit and relax with a drink/food in the shade. We went pretty much each day of our trip (Aug 13-19) and didn't have issues finding seats before 2pm. After 2pm, or more closer to 4pm, it starts getting really lively and it can be more competitive to find spots. They are relatively good at screening out people who aren't staying at the GC. The live music at the pool is super underrated. We loved the scene there and a server will come around and take your drink/food orders all day, which is convenient.

Genie+ a great value if park hopping, b/c you can bounce between parks all day and use all of the rides available. If you are doing early entry at one park, once the crowds build, you can start using some LL's at that park, then take a break and do LL's for the afternoon/evening at both/either park. If you aren't super budget conscious, its worth doing. There were a few days I added it for my wife who came in the park at 2pm (was working during the day) and she got on 3-4 rides and to me it was worth it, even for a few rides with the waits.

Miscellaneous Thoughts
  • Food stuff - Beignets & Mint Juleps are insanely good, both original variety and passionfruit (seasonal option). Drinks at Pym's are super fun, the X-periment and Honey Buzz are great. Lunch menu at Lamplight Lounge was a disappointment, should have booked a dinner instead). Storytellers cafe character breakfast was amazing, worth every penny both food wise, service, atmosphere and characters (Aug 16th). We LOVED the Taro cold brew at Docking Bay7. At GC, hearthstone and Craftsmen were great, the impossible sausage pizza was a huge hit. Best value by far was Napolini Pizza which is right at the Downtown Disney exit of GC. Great prepared salads and delicious pizzas, very reasonable. We ended up going there a few times to bring back to the hotel. Trader Sams is a must do if you get a reservation, it was so much fun.
  • Ride takes Indiana Jones, GOTG were highlights for our family. (Dinosaur and TOT don't compare in my opinion to either sister-ride). Small world, Pirates and BTMRR all are much better in DL, BTMRR is amazing at night and in the back row. Mr Toad's ride is a real trip, one of our favorites. Space Mountain with the background music I felt was more fun than the WDW version. RSR and Rise are worth paying $ or rope dropping with Early Entry, truly unbelievable experiences.

I posted this in the Grand Californian thread, but thought it may be helpful for anyone coming in August, especially anyone staying at a Disney property:

I just returned from our DLR trip staying at GC, I'm pretty certain our next trip will be back to DLR and not WDW (we are a 4-time WDW visitor), even though our stay at GC cost a bit more than any trip we had at WDW (2 deluxe stays). For any first time visitors coming soon, you are in for a treat. Here are a few of our highlights and I'm hoping to give some insight a few of the hot topics I've seen in the chats of late.
Thank you! This is so helpful and so timely, as we leave in 2 days for a GCH stay.
I really appreciate that you took the time to share this with the DIS community.

I will say for those who are not staying if onsite, don’t give up hope of all you can accomplish at park opening!

We rope dropped both parks snd had great success!

Fri, Aug 19 - DL - first 60 mins:
- small world (our choice of first DL ride of our first trip. Loved starting with this!)
- Peter Pan
- Mr Toad
- Alice in Wonderland
- Snow White
- could have done more but needed brekkie

Sat, Aug 20 - DCA - first 75 mins:
- Soarin’
- Incredicoaster x 2
- Toy Story Mania x 2
- pal-a-round (swinging)

Our last day was Monday and we went hard from 8AM to 10:30PM. Mostly at DCA. 26 rides + animation class!!

We had park hoppers and Genie+ for entire trip. Genie+ is great at both parks and we were glad to have PH too.

Hi. We have to cancel our trip and I will be cancelling several reservations. I’m happy to try coordinating timing if anyone wants to try to pick them up. All the reservations are for four people (all adults, if that makes a difference). Please DM me if you’re interested, and I’ll update the post when they’re gone.

Wednesday August 31
Lamplight Lounge Lunch
3 pm

Thursday September 1
Oga’s Dinner
4:45 pm

Thursday September 1
World of Color Dessert Party
8 pm

Friday September 2
Blue Bayou Lunch
12:00 pm
(This was supposed to be for Famtasmic! but I know they changed the rules since I booked it so it may no longer work for Fantasmic!).

Friday September 2
Trader Sam’s Dinner
4:35 pm

Friday September 2
Oga’s Dinner
6:30 pm
Hi. I can’t figure out how to edit so I’m just replying to my own post. I’ll be cancelling these in about 5-10 minutes if anyone wants to try to pick them up.

Hi. I can’t figure out how to edit so I’m just replying to my own post. I’ll be cancelling these in about 5-10 minutes if anyone wants to try to pick them up.
OT for a second…to edit your post, click the 3 dots beside the word ‘Report’ and the edit option will appear.

54F655D7-B199-4229-B54A-2D0480AD3A8D.jpeg

I will say for those who are not staying if onsite, don’t give up hope of all you can accomplish at park opening!

We rope dropped both parks snd had great success!

Fri, Aug 19 - DL - first 60 mins:
- small world (our choice of first DL ride of our first trip. Loved starting with this!)
- Peter Pan
- Mr Toad
- Alice in Wonderland
- Snow White
- could have done more but needed brekkie

Sat, Aug 20 - DCA - first 75 mins:
- Soarin’
- Incredicoaster x 2
- Toy Story Mania x 2
- pal-a-round (swinging)

Our last day was Monday and we went hard from 8AM to 10:30PM. Mostly at DCA. 26 rides + animation class!!

We had park hoppers and Genie+ for entire trip. Genie+ is great at both parks and we were glad to have PH too.
Wow, all the guides say getting decent Peter Pan wait time at rope drop without EE is very difficult. I will keep my fingers crossed when I go next Wednesday.

We waited but maybe 20-30 mins to ride PP? From times on pics, we got in line for Peter Pan at 8:28. At 9:40 we had ridden PP, Mr Toad, Alice, taken pics with a Disney photographer and were riding Snow White. So, all that in 70 mins!!

That would not be possible at WDW.

Hi everyone! I’ve wanted to report back since our Disneyland trip but came back and hit life full throttle, now focused on our Disney world trip that’s in November (dining reservations open next week!) so I’m back!

Our trip was pretty amazing! Magical for sure!

Our first time staying at the Grand Californian and I’m not sure how I can ever NOT stay there again. We got what we requested, a room very close to the lobby. It was on the 5th floor, 5110. The view wasn’t amazing but I could see the Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier hotel.
We utilized room service for breakfast one morning and it was delicious and hot and prompt.
We got pizza from downstairs one night to eat upstairs in the room.
I loved the piano playing in the lobby and the highlight was one late afternoon when a young girl (14-15?) in a Cinderella dress played disney songs.
We had housekeeping every day and it was impeccable.

Being back in the parks was emotional and worth the four year wait.
Galaxys edge blew me away.
Our highlights were:

-Fantasmic premium dining at River Belle. Based on previous reviews was worried about food and view but both were GREAT! My New York and scallops were perfect. The mashed potatoes stole the show!

-WOC dessert party was everything I’d hoped it would be. The desserts and cheese were good, we had more than enough. We boxed up what we couldn’t eat but sadly ended up throwing it away when we opted to hop back over to Disneyland to ride more rides.

-we only did early entry one day (actually I did it solo) and it was incredible. I went straight to Peter Pan and then I knocked out almost every ride in fantasyland and then went back on Peter Pan again. After that second ride on Peter Pan the queue was completely full. In speaking of solo, my husband had a hard time on this trip since Covid kind of knocked him on his butt and my daughter is somewhere at a tween age or she just wasn’t feeling like pushing as hard as I was. So all in all over the course of the end of one day and the beginning of another, I actually had seven hours total of a long time in Disneyland.
I would recommend this to anybody because it’s a very good feeling being in the parks and just doing exactly what you wanna do eating what you want when you want, I feel like I took more of this time to just go slow and take pictures of things and wander around.

-I feel like another really good part of our trip was our last night when we decided to close the park and for the first time we rode jungle Cruise at night. We’ve always just done it during the day. We ended up getting a really good skipper, his name is Kyle he was hilarious and entertaining and it was fun being on the boat in the dark with him occasionally turning on his spotlight to point out different things. It was like a completely different ride. We were so impressed with him that I wrote to guest services to share how amazing he was.

-we have the tomorrowland skyline experience booked and I was really excited about it and I was going to surprise my husband and daughter with it, but when I explained it to them they really weren’t interested in it so we didn’t canceling that. I was looking forward to trying it and seeing the fireworks from a different place. Speaking of the fireworks I never once stopped and watch the fireworks, like with the castle or even small world. I only ever saw them while we were in route from one thing or another so that was a little bit different for this trip and then hindsight I missed pausing to actually watch and listen to the show.

-Another highlight was eating lunch at the blue Bayou. It was one of my most missed and anticipated restaurants/meals and it didn’t disappoint. I ended up getting the filet mignon and it was cooked perfectly and super delicious, I wanted to switch out the potatoes for mashed potatoes but they said no and I’m glad because they ended up being incredible, almost melt in your mouth. And I also almost passed up on getting the hurricane because it’s so hot out and I just didn’t want to be slow down from having alcohol, but I’m so glad I got it because it was absolutely delicious.

There’s so much more I can say, but so much of it is just feeling. Even with the crowds and the heat I just felt so blessed to be there and loved every minute of it. I took a lot of pictures but here are just a few.

Attachments

• 0EF28566-F2BC-4DD4-AB5B-A23B6B33C305.jpeg
    0EF28566-F2BC-4DD4-AB5B-A23B6B33C305.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 53E4D42B-09AB-438F-968B-BB4FA8188A22.jpeg
    53E4D42B-09AB-438F-968B-BB4FA8188A22.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 839225F1-ADA8-4AD4-A30B-99E7ADB62520.jpeg
    839225F1-ADA8-4AD4-A30B-99E7ADB62520.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 3
  • E6C4FE5C-7667-403B-9CC2-C7A4AEB7B0F1.jpeg
    E6C4FE5C-7667-403B-9CC2-C7A4AEB7B0F1.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 3
  • D7FF4F8B-221D-4CE3-A0EA-B9CC5BB07515.jpeg
    D7FF4F8B-221D-4CE3-A0EA-B9CC5BB07515.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 886AD202-017A-40F6-B840-982FD684F695.jpeg
    886AD202-017A-40F6-B840-982FD684F695.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 9B83B69B-FDDE-4D2A-A236-A71D40EA038A.jpeg
    9B83B69B-FDDE-4D2A-A236-A71D40EA038A.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 4
  • 8AFB3BAF-A5A5-4F3E-9ABD-277C516F6DC4.jpeg
    8AFB3BAF-A5A5-4F3E-9ABD-277C516F6DC4.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 4
  • F7A19CBB-E010-4242-8D1E-5E37590D5A5A.jpeg
    F7A19CBB-E010-4242-8D1E-5E37590D5A5A.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 0D80ECD2-D3AC-4C4C-A0AC-997626EF193E.jpeg
    0D80ECD2-D3AC-4C4C-A0AC-997626EF193E.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 5
A few more pics…

Attachments

• A79254C1-CF86-46A8-AB79-893EEF5BD29A.jpeg
    A79254C1-CF86-46A8-AB79-893EEF5BD29A.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 29BA0272-7858-41F3-84DA-B8A3782836F1.jpeg
    29BA0272-7858-41F3-84DA-B8A3782836F1.jpeg
    43.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 801E03E8-5016-445F-9DFE-F416B7ED13F0.jpeg
    801E03E8-5016-445F-9DFE-F416B7ED13F0.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 2
  • 57B826AC-619C-4EAF-8F4F-20FEBE135E4C.jpeg
    57B826AC-619C-4EAF-8F4F-20FEBE135E4C.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 8D56BF77-DE10-49D9-8B2A-17A5F5DB9F76.jpeg
    8D56BF77-DE10-49D9-8B2A-17A5F5DB9F76.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 4
  • 649944E9-598C-4263-8F93-1E98E8BCC9EA.jpeg
    649944E9-598C-4263-8F93-1E98E8BCC9EA.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 3
  • B39C3A14-E7AD-46B6-BFAE-6E64B8D54764.jpeg
    B39C3A14-E7AD-46B6-BFAE-6E64B8D54764.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 5F8B395D-1F3B-4F7A-B8CE-768579C7E9EF.jpeg
    5F8B395D-1F3B-4F7A-B8CE-768579C7E9EF.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 5D4A3D85-43B2-4C13-B361-1B1EDF3205EC.jpeg
    5D4A3D85-43B2-4C13-B361-1B1EDF3205EC.jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 4

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter