Official Dopey 2018 Thread

I have a few:
1) Share in the excitement of my BFF's first marathon.
2) Improve my overall time from previous Dopey Challenges.
3) Take better advantage of the Photopass photographers on the course.
4) Stop being shy and actually attend DATW Monday.
5) Run smarter.

What is DATW Monday?

VP

Marathon Weekend Goals

1) Run and finish my first Dopey Challenge! My goal is to finish the Dopey before I turn 40 (this is my first and only chance since last year I hadn't completed a marathon :)
I started running about a year and a half ago. I started with 0.25 miles on my first day, trained for and completed a 5k, trained for and completed the Dark Side Challenge in 2016, ran two more local half marathons, and finished my first marathon at Disney in January of this year. I have lost 50 pounds so far and am in the best shape of my life! Training now for my second marathon (St. Jude Rock N Roll Nashville) in April. I learned early on not to increase my mileage too fast and once I figured that out, I was on my way. My family and friends say I am crazy for doing the Dopey, but they totally support me. Support is the key, and this board has really helped me a ton!
2) Get my family involved in running. I signed both of my boys up for the Kids Races in 2018. They are 3 and 2 years old and going to do the 100 meter. They are so excited to be running with daddy! Still working on my DW to run the 5k if not this year then maybe 2019. It is hard for both parents to train with two kids under 4.
3) Work on my speed to improve my pace. Currently my PR for the half is just over 2 hours and just over 6 hours for the full. I am training with a group now to run the Nashville marathon under 5 hours.
4) Properly pace myself for the Dopey based on the great information I have read on this board. I struggle with negative splits and am worried that will hurt me for the Dopey and other marathons.
5) Have fun training and get more involved with others running. I have, until the last couple weeks, always run alone and am now seeing the benefits of running in a group.
6) Meet up with folks from this board at Marathon Weekend 2018 and celebrate my 2017 training with four victory lap races 5k, 10k, half, and full!

Beat the Badger!

Whoa, nice goal. I couldn't do that last year and I was "only" running the marathon.

In priority order
1) Finish our 4th Disney 5k as a family
2) Run with my 12 year old son for his first 10k
3) Finish my first Dopey (and in the process, my 4th Goofy)
4) PR the marathon in sub-3:40 (admittedly this is lowest priority since it'll be a challenge as part of Dopey)

Copied and pasted from the Marathon Weekend 2017 thread.

My goals are to complete Dopey and have fun along the way! No specific times for races. Looking forward to stopping for pictures (as long as the lines aren't too long), having fun with my dad while running the half, and enjoying my time while I am down there. Riding Everest will be a possibility but only if the timing works right.

Did I miss where they had the % of registrations left available this year, or did they do away with it entirely?
Memory is going bad, they got rid of it last year.

Last edited:
Copied and pasted from marathon weekend thread.. :)

My goals:
Finish my first marathon! (what?!)
Finish Dopey
Ride EE during marathon
Get a picture with free Genie (in the goofy hat) - I didn't stop for him during PHM and nearly cried about it the whole rest of the race/day
PR on half marathon during training for Dopey to get a better corral
Start a training journal to build some transparency/accountability for training to ensure success!
Make new friends!!!

Dopey 2018 goals
Okay, I was silly in the other thread, so I'll focus and get serious here. ;)
Training: get it done, no injuries, no heat stroke
5K: all the FUN, all the silly pics with friends!
10K: last year's 10K goal was to make sure I took in my surroundings and that was really nice, so maybe that again for 2018.
13.1: um, I really just want it to happen this time. That would be cool. :)
26.2: I think I'd like to aim for an improved time this year, but reserve the right to decide midway to bag that and stop for pics and such.
Overall: Last year I had a goal of a jumping pic in each park during the full, which I accomplished, but PhotoPass lost my MK castle one. :( I think for 2018 I'll aim for a different style jump each in a jumping pic in front of Spaceship Earth in each race!

I think the first thing is just to survive to the end without any kind of injury. My plan is to enjoy the experience. I will try and take in the sights, get some pictures with characters and hope to ride a ride or two. This will not be about PRs, just a nice trip through 48.6 miles over 4 days. Also, hoping to convince DD to do the Dumbo Double Dare with me next Labor Day weekend. It will get her in shape and get me the coast to coast. Hopefully I will get to meet some of my fellow Dopeys during race week.

Copied from Marathon Weekend 2018...

This marathon weekend will be bittersweet for me. This will likely end up as my Dopey (and runDisney) swan song for the foreseeable future. While it was a goal to complete every Dopey that was offered, life obstacles have made maintaining that goal difficult. So at this moment in time, it would appear this will be the end for me (although you won't get rid of me so easily on these boards... :thumbsup2)

This trip will be different then the first 4 Dopeys for me. Every other trip has been a family vacation. Full of theme park days, lots of walking, little sleep, and mostly a normal Disney vacation outside of me competing in running. But this year will be different. Instead of a full extended family vacation, it will just be me and my mom (who will also be running Dopey). The intent of the trip is different. I'm not planning on doing much theme park visiting. Not much of anything really outside of a sole focus in Disney: to run.

So between a different type of Dopey trip and the possibility that this may end up being my last runDisney race, I decided to go big or go home on my goals.

My Marathon Weekend 2018 goals:

1) Sextuple PR Challenge. In my 4 previous Dopey runs (3 as non-first attempts), I have yet to accomplish the Sextuple PR Challenge. Since this may be the last try, I'm giving it everything I got. I'm looking for a lifetime PR at 5k, 10k, HM, M, Goofy, and Dopey all as non-first time attempts at these distances.
2) 5k - Sub 19 minutes
3) 10k - Sub 40 minutes
4) HM - Sub 1:30
5) M - Sub 3:00
6) Dopey - Sub 5:30
7) Finish in the Top 10 of the Dopey Challenge when evaluated by cumulative time
8) Successfully meet as many DIS'ers pre/post/during races as possible
9) Coach as many runners through the Marathon Weekend races as that'll honor me with that opportunity
10) Cheer my mom though her first Dopey Challenge at age 61
11) Most importantly - Beat the Rocket Scientist :thumbsup2

Marathon Weekend Goals

My first and main goal is to complete my first full marathon while completing Dopey in the upright position!! My second goal is to get into AK at a reasonable time to ride Expedition Everest without losing too much time. I will likely start in the back corrals so won't have a big buffer between me and the sweepers. Third goal is to drink a champagne slushy in France followed by a margarita in Mexico...don't know exactly what mile markers those are except near the finish line :)

Drink Around the World (Going from country to country in Epcot, celebrating the achievements of Marathon Week at each stop)

I'm in!!! I love the DATW challenge...although I always seem to get lost halfway thru lol :drinking1

Marathon Weekend Goals

Training now for my second marathon (St. Jude Rock N Roll Nashville) in April. I learned early on not to increase my mileage too fast and once I figured that out, I was on my way. My family and friends say I am crazy for
I'll be running the half marathon at the Nashville Rock N Roll!! :rockband: I'm hoping to PR but I think the hills are going to do me in. I train in Memphis so it's pretty flat roads here o_O

My goal for Dopey: Run the entire thing in an uninjured condition, thereby erasing the memory of Goofy 2013, where I ran/walked the Marathon after a flare up of ITB problems (stupid). No time goals, just finish all 4 races and feel good at the end.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter