Official Dopey 2018 Thread

My goals for Dopey (in shorter version from the other thread):

1) Enjoy the 5k with my 9 year old daughter, who will be running her first runDisney Race.
2) Enjoy the time in the parks with my family
3) Run the other three races hard with an "a" goal of 7 hours and a "b" goal of faster than my Goofy time from 2015 - 7:30.

my girlfriend's goals for Dopey

1) Run the 5k with me, as we trek around Epcot together
2) knock out the other three races. Don't dread them, look at them as challenges
3) Don't get caught by "the bus of shame"

My goals for Dopey:
1) enjoy a 5k with my girl, as I'm doing what I can to get more active
2) Cheer her on as loud as I can
3) as she heads out for the half, I go surprise her at Cinderella's Castle and take some pictures
4) find her around AK for the full, so I can get cheer her on, get her new socks/shoes/whatever, and toss her a 5 Hour Energy.
5) Carry her around the rest of Sunday as her legs turn into rubber :D

This will be my first Dopey, but no goals for me.

I've done 3 Goofies (and an ultra), so I'm not too worried about the distance. I don't try for PRs during Disney races. I'm also not into character pics, EE rides, etc. Just relentless forward motion.

I think after Dopey, I'm taking a break from Disney races. I've done WDW marathon weekend 5 of the last seven years. To quote the other thread, I'm at my saturation point.

We'll be headed back on Monday, so I'm sad that I'll miss DATW.

I'll be running the half marathon at the Nashville Rock N Roll!! :rockband: I'm hoping to PR but I think the hills are going to do me in. I train in Memphis so it's pretty flat roads here o_O
There are some pretty tough hills for the Nashville race. I am training with Fleet Feet and we have several long runs on the actual course. I have done one of the training runs so far. The hills are tough but not too steep. They are just long gradual hills. I used to live in Memphis and there are some fairly good hills there. I would run downtown on the riverfront and run uphill to Beale St. if your training allows. That would simulate some of the hills at least in the downtown Nashville area.

There are some pretty tough hills for the Nashville race. I am training with Fleet Feet and we have several long runs on the actual course. I have done one of the training runs so far. The hills are tough but not too steep. They are just long gradual hills. I used to live in Memphis and there are some fairly good hills there. I would run downtown on the riverfront and run uphill to Beale St. if your training allows. That would simulate some of the hills at least in the downtown Nashville area.
Awesome! Thanks for the suggestion. I run downtown on the riverfront all the time but I typically don't do the Beale St hill until my walking cooldown. Will have to incorporate that next time :)

Marathon Weekend Goals:
1. Finish my first Dopey ... after saying I'd never run another marathon after my first one 2 years ago.
2. Stop for pictures. I was too scared to stop last time!
3. Enjoy the week in Florida with friends that I don't get to see very often.
4. Drink, eat, drink, eat, drink some more.

Is Dopey 18 sold out already? The VIP registration is open but I was hoping for the regular Dopey for $560 but it's been removed from the registration site. Anyone know ?

Is Dopey 18 sold out already? The VIP registration is open but I was hoping for the regular Dopey for $560 but it's been removed from the registration site. Anyone know ?
Someone posted earlier that it was, and that RD is just removing the links once a race sells out, as opposed to listing it as such.

Speculation is that removal from the registration site means it's sold out. You may want to keep monitoring it, they seem to be opening races back up a little more than in the past. They also might have hit some type of provisional checkpoint and closed it down while they assessed where registrations stood.

The active.com page is just dropping sold out races, as it takes up space unnecessarily. It is clearly marked on the runDisney page under the "Registration" tab for Marathon Week that the Dopey, 10K & 5K are indeed sold out. (VIP Runner's World Dopey Challenge is still available)

The active.com page is just dropping sold out races, as it takes up space unnecessarily. It is clearly marked on the runDisney page under the "Registration" tab for Marathon Week that the Dopey, 10K & 5K are indeed sold out. (VIP Runner's World Dopey Challenge is still available)
Thank you. The RD page just made that change to show sold out. When I posted the question, it showed available. Thanks and good luck to all runners.

Marathon Weekend Goals

Survive my first Dopey
Enjoy my second marathon
Don't go out too hard on the 5k, 10k, and half
Don't destroy my knee
Have fun!

I'm really just looking forward to the picture with 6 medals... Not sure what park I want to do that at yet...

When we ran the first year, I just wore the Dopey medal (all can get heavy, but definitely bring them along with you!) I wish I would have taken a picture- one guy had all 6 on interlaced in the coolest pattern, not sure how he did it or his wife did it but very cool, they were all separated where you could see each one across his chest.

It's always cool inside Magic Kingdom to get a picture with Mickey and Minnie as soon as you walk in to the right, not long lines either.

I'm really just looking forward to the picture with 6 medals... Not sure what park I want to do that at yet..
Um, all the parks of course! We did, they get heavy lugging around ( I put them each in a sock so they don't bash each other in the backpack), but it's fun & make great pics. If I just picked one I would pick EPCOT, in front of the fountain & spacehip earth, though since that is where you go through in all 4 races.

Ok. I'll play.

Goals:
-Finish my first Dopey
-Ride EE and TOT (i think). probably 25-30 minutes if I decide to do that. not running the marathon for a PR at all, so just need to be OK with the fact that i am adding a bunch of time.
-take more pics than i usually take during the races.
-finally do DATW on Monday.
-Look as awesome in my race pics as @rteetz does-since all his pics from his trip reports are awesome (I NEVER have good course pics..i need to practice my running pic poses)
-raise over $1000 for Homes for our Troops!!!!!

Ok. I'll play.

Goals:
-Finish my first Dopey
-Ride EE and TOT (i think). probably 25-30 minutes if I decide to do that. not running the marathon for a PR at all, so just need to be OK with the fact that i am adding a bunch of time.
-take more pics than i usually take during the races.
-finally do DATW on Monday.
-Look as awesome in my race pics as @rteetz does-since all his pics from his trip reports are awesome (I NEVER have good course pics..i need to practice my running pic poses)
-raise over $1000 for Homes for our Troops!!!!!
I will say photopass made me look very good ;)

When we ran the first year, I just wore the Dopey medal (all can get heavy, but definitely bring them along with you!) I wish I would have taken a picture- one guy had all 6 on interlaced in the coolest pattern, not sure how he did it or his wife did it but very cool, they were all separated where you could see each one across his chest.

It's always cool inside Magic Kingdom to get a picture with Mickey and Minnie as soon as you walk in to the right, not long lines either.

Um, all the parks of course! We did, they get heavy lugging around ( I put them each in a sock so they don't bash each other in the backpack), but it's fun & make great pics. If I just picked one I would pick EPCOT, in front of the fountain & spacehip earth, though since that is where you go through in all 4 races.

I am not creative enough to find a cool way to put the medals. I did take a picture with my first coast to coast medal collection but this will definitely be a bit more impressive. I know I definitely have to get one at Animal Kingdom (I'm an animal nerd so ya...), but y'all are right... it will probably end up taking a picture at all of the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter