***Official May 2023 Thread***

We are big fans of the britcom Absolutely Fabulous and we always joke about the episode where Edina was going to France or Morocco or something and 10 seconds after leaving the house she burst back in yelling "TICKETS, MONEY, PASSPORT!!" :rotfl2: Always scared that will be us, and it doesn't help that both of us are honest to god diagnosed OCD so we check things 19 thousand times...I actually love traveling, even the parts many find stressful like the airport etc, but sometimes the anxiety is a lot!

I just gave our flight info to our TA so she can book our transportation with Tiffany Town Car so I have literally nothing left to do now. Normally we wouldn't splurge like that and just take a Lyft to the resort since it's just us two and our luggage but I have seen what surge pricing looks like on those MCO-Disney trips on holiday weekends and I don't want to cope with sticker shock. I like to have as much prepaid as possible. Plus it will end up working out better since it will save us Instacart fees, instead of our usual delivery to the resort we will just order our groceries for curbside pickup and use the car service grocery stop to pick it up ourselves.
I always yell "KEYS,WALLET,PHONE" to my co-worker before we leave for the day 🤣

Kinda same deal with Oga's, I had to fight to get a reservation for it in November '21, but there is still availability throughout Memorial Day weekend now. Even I am kind of debating whether we really need to go again. It was cool, but we'll be limiting indoor dining a little more this time and I question whether we really need to drop another $50+ $70+ on space themed drinks for four.
I'd love to go inside that place, but we're not really drink people. We'd rather munch on snacks. One of my kids only likes water and milk, I only drink water 98% of the time. Seems like it wouldn't be worth the price of admission for us.
I can’t convince hubby to let me buy Genie+ or LL.
Maybe the crowds are low enough this month that with a good touring plan, you'll still be able to do a lot without it. Or, maybe after the first day of waiting in lines, he will change his mind? Do you watch EarScouts on youtube? He has great videos of how to tour without G+ and still do pretty much everything.

I'd love to go inside that place, but we're not really drink people. We'd rather munch on snacks. One of my kids only likes water and milk, I only drink water 98% of the time. Seems like it wouldn't be worth the price of admission for us.

Maybe the crowds are low enough this month that with a good touring plan, you'll still be able to do a lot without it. Or, maybe after the first day of waiting in lines, he will change his mind? Do you watch EarScouts on youtube? He has great videos of how to tour without G+ and still do pretty much everything.

They do have non-alcoholic options and there is no minimum purchase if you just want to check it out. My daughter only drinks water and they always let her order a glass of free water while everyone else orders something from the menu. They've never questioned it.

They do have non-alcoholic options and there is no minimum purchase if you just want to check it out. My daughter only drinks water and they always let her order a glass of free water while everyone else orders something from the menu. They've never questioned it.

That is good to know, thanks! Maybe if the kids ask about going in we can see about a walk-up or making a last minute reservation. It would be cool to go in there!

I had not heard of him. Thank you for the tip! I hope so. I’ve just been explaining how it’s kinda like how we used to use fast pass and how without it we will waste all day in line.

I just saw some hours have changed for the better for our dates right before Memorial Day! I'm especially happy they extended closing on our MK day to 11pm! We are doing the post- firework dessert party. This means if we aren't zonked we can fit in another ride or two before we leave the park that night!

Heads up, there are some fluctuating changes to the Fantasmic schedule in May to be aware of!

https://blogmickey.com/2023/05/fantasmic-enters-brief-slow-season-schedule-at-hollywood-studios/

I’m kinda shocked and a bit disappointed that they won’t have 2 showings for Memorial Day weekend, since it would help our touring strategies, but maybe they are anticipating fewer crowds than normal.
I actually just checked and there is a 10:30 show both on Friday and Saturday evenings on Memorial Day weekend. At least according to the Disney website. After that, I guess they're anticipating that 2 shows won't be necessary.

Last edited:
Yeah, adding a 10:30 show to Mother's Day week but not Memorial Day weekend seems odd. Staffing?
The only thing I can think of. I know crowd calendars are whatever nowadays but touring plans has straight 9s for HS our whole trip except Memorial Day itself is a 10.

Of course that’s the day we’re going. 😂 But we plan on rope dropping EE and bailing after lunch at Roundup Rodeo then hopping into Epcot in the evening. Then we’re doing the reverse on the 30th. Thinking we might try to catch Fantasmic on arrival night if they just have the 1 show at 9pm because we have a 9:35 Oga’s ADR that I made specifically so we would be able to take pics with our lightsabers in empty GE afterward. No way we’d make it to that ADR if we tried to see Fantasmic the same night.

The only thing I can think of. I know crowd calendars are whatever nowadays but touring plans has straight 9s for HS our whole trip except Memorial Day itself is a 10.

Of course that’s the day we’re going. 😂 But we plan on rope dropping EE and bailing after lunch at Roundup Rodeo then hopping into Epcot in the evening. Then we’re doing the reverse on the 30th. Thinking we might try to catch Fantasmic on arrival night if they just have the 1 show at 9pm because we have a 9:35 Oga’s ADR that I made specifically so we would be able to take pics with our lightsabers in empty GE afterward. No way we’d make it to that ADR if we tried to see Fantasmic the same night.
Yeah, I just updated my previous post but I didn't realize you don't get in until the 28th. That stinks! Perhaps you could catch a 9:00 show later in the trip?

I'm not sure you can count on the crowd calendars right now. It sounds like the crowds have been much lower than predicted over the past few weeks. I've always had good luck with TP and their numbers seem logical (of course Memorial Day IS likely to be quite crowded) but you never know. Maybe WDW knows something we don't 😂

Honestly I'm hoping it's a sign of low crowd levels. We're not there over MD, but all this talk of super low crowds has me hoping it lasts through our trip.

I'm not sure you can count on the crowd calendars right now. It sounds like the crowds have been much lower than predicted over the past few weeks. I've always had good luck with TP and their numbers seem logical (of course Memorial Day IS likely to be quite crowded) but you never know. Maybe WDW knows something we don't 😂

Honestly I'm hoping it's a sign of low crowd levels. We're not there over MD, but all this talk of super low crowds has me hoping it lasts through our trip.
I found crowd calendars to be pretty useless even before the pandemic closures tbh given the way Disney was staffing down during “slow” times. But since reopening calendars are basically Miss Cleo. I never planned park days around them but I especially don’t now. I just go in assuming it will be nuts and plan accordingly. But I sub to TP for the Lines app and the room request service mainly.

Memorial Day is usually rougher than early-mid May but it’s like Labor Day in that it’s one of the better holiday periods to go, it’s not nearly as bad as July 4th, Thanksgiving, etc. I have to say though I suspect it really may be less crowded than usual. The fact that ADRs were so wide open for the start of our trip was making me think it will be better than anticipated. Who knows, in 2021 the parks were dead for that whole week. I’m hoping for a repeat but if not we will just roll with it.

Yeah, I just updated my previous post but I didn't realize you don't get in until the 28th. That stinks! Perhaps you could catch a 9:00 show later in the trip?
Yeah I think if we can’t manage arrival night (we will have gotten up before the crack of dawn for our flight!) we’ll hop into HS at some later point to catch it while we’re at the Poly. Despite trying to set our park days up to minimize transportation we’re not married to only doing the closest parks to whichever resort we’re at. Main reason we got hoppers was for the flexibility, after all. Maybe on our AK day we’ll hop over since it closes so early. Fantasmic is definitely a priority for us though since we didn’t get to see it on our last trip together and neither of us have ever seen it.

Memorial Day is usually rougher than early-mid May but it’s like Labor Day in that it’s one of the better holiday periods to go, it’s not nearly as bad as July 4th, Thanksgiving, etc. I have to say though I suspect it really may be less crowded than usual. The fact that ADRs were so wide open for the start of our trip was making me think it will be better than anticipated. Who knows, in 2021 the parks were dead for that whole week. I’m hoping for a repeat but if not we will just roll with it.

I'm wondering if the lower crowds will continue as a result of a lot of postponed trips from 2020/2021 having been completed by now. Between inflation and ever-increasing Disney prices, maybe fewer people will be going on trips to WDW this year. We can hope, right?

The added show of F! on the 26 has me wondering if we should wait until that night to catch the 2nd show. Would that be a better experience? Our HS day is the 24. I guess I should wait until I can see the forecast. Planning a potential optional hop from EP on the 26 (Fri) in case things get crazy there and we want to bail. Could go to HS or MK. Leaning towards HS b/c we are staying at YC. Depends on how our 1 MK day goes.
I've planned so much for months now that I'm a little burned out on that aspect. I'm just going to try to let things simmer now until we get there and try my best to go with the flow and with what the kids are most excited to do.

The added show of F! on the 26 has me wondering if we should wait until that night to catch the 2nd show. Would that be a better experience? Our HS day is the 24. I guess I should wait until I can see the forecast. Planning a potential optional hop from EP on the 26 (Fri) in case things get crazy there and we want to bail. Could go to HS or MK. Leaning towards HS b/c we are staying at YC. Depends on how our 1 MK day goes.
I've planned so much for months now that I'm a little burned out on that aspect. I'm just going to try to let things simmer now until we get there and try my best to go with the flow and with what the kids are most excited to do.
The general rule with these things is always go to the second show if they have one but especially for Fantasmic. Everyone goes to the first show so wait times plummet then. Ride stuff and then go to the second one. The other benefit to that is at the second show you can basically roll up whenever to get a great seat.

I have the Fantasmic dinner package for Sunday May 28. According to TP it is a 10/10 RED day. I am worried! But I don't see a second show added for that day. That seems odd given the predicted crowds.

Anyway my question is should I drop the dinner package and go to the 2nd show if it is offered?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter