• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Official" Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2017 - Believe in the Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 hours! Yikes! FWIW on Wed we left Universal around 1:45pm or 2pm for our 4:45pm flight. TSA wait times were estimated at 30 mins on the screens if you weren't pre-check for the area of MCO Delta flys from (we were pre-check and it was like 5 mins).
Yeah. 4 hrs is so ridiculous that we'll just take Uber to the airport instead.

Yeah. 4 hrs is so ridiculous that we'll just take Uber to the airport instead.
I saw estimates that ubar/lyft cost around $60 each way from the Disney area to MCO. Can anyone tell me if that's accurate? I might have to suck it up and deal with the 4 hour wait if that's the case... $60 is a lot!

I saw estimates that ubar/lyft cost around $60 each way from the Disney area to MCO. Can anyone tell me if that's accurate? I might have to suck it up and deal with the 4 hour wait if that's the case... $60 is a lot!
Agreed -- that is a lot -- I haven't done it yet so can't confirm. I loot at it this way, personally... we're going all the way to Orlando for a short (3 day/2 night) trip: flight, hotel, food, party tix, etc. The incremental $60 is worth it to us to get an extra couple of hours in the park.

ETA: I just entered MCO and Contemporary Resort into my Uber app and got the following... looks like $30 with UberX:

IMG_7841.PNG

For us $60 is a lot too, but an hour of vacation time is worth more than $60 since we're not going again anytime soon. Think about what you'd do with the hour and compare that to the cost. The answer is different for each of us. Also, you can go to the Uber and Lyft websites & get an estimate right from them for whatever type of car you're ordering. We had 4 people with big suitcases so we needed an Uber XL. MCO to Beach Club in XL was 48.82, but we only paid 33.82 because a first time Uber-er in our group created an account and used a $15 promo code they were offering. Tips are at your discretion so I did not include that in total.

We missed our ME bus last year 2016 trip by LESS than 5 minutes. We didn't use Uber or Lyft. CSR concierge called a car service for us. There was 4 of us plus luggage. Cost was 65 dollars without tip to MCO. :worried:

Last edited:

We took Uber from BC to MCO in January and it was about $26.

Can someone please give me some advice on my current plan? I am on the fence about purchasing tickets for MVMCP (most likely for Dec. 17) mainly because I'm afraid we will spend the entire party waiting for the first parade and the fireworks. I'm tempted to book the plaza dessert party just to ensure a good viewing for the fireworks, but, if I do that, I need to cancel the HEA one I have scheduled for later in the week because DH and DS10 won't want to do both (we've done the HEA one before so not a huge loss).

My current plan is to enter MK around 2 pm or so (on a regular ticket) and possibly find a spot for FoF (not a must-do). We then have FP+ at Space, Tomorrowland Speedway and BTMRR followed by dinner at 5:15 at Skipper's. I'm guessing we'll be out of Skipper's by 6:30 pm or so. We have no interest in the characters, but I'd like to hit a few of the free snack spots, check out Club Tinsel, see the first parade and the fireworks. If we want to see the parade somewhere on Main St., what time should we find our spot? And do we then need to hang out for an hour to ensure a good spot for the fireworks? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. I'm just not sure if I want to spend $300 to see a parade and fireworks.

Wanted to see the 11pm parade (plan on lining up on Main st abt 10:15pm) and then going to see Mickey's Merriest celebration show at 11:35pm. Is this doable or do I need to find another time to do the show in front of the castle?

Just my opinion, but I would definitely plan on getting to MCO earlier than 2 hours before your flight. I flew out of tiny Palm Beach International a few weeks ago and getting through the short (non-existent) security line took a long time! There was only 1 person in front of me, and he was sent to the TSA pre-check line. It still took me over 20 minutes to leave the security area, and I wasn't even wanded or patted down!

The TSA workers were pleasant, but they were very serious. I was directed to leave my shoes out of the box/tray, my laptop in it's own box...it went on and on. I fly frequently--flew out of MCO a week prior, and security was nothing like this! I had one purse, one tote (personal bag), and one carry-on, but through their direction, I ended up using four boxes to put my things in. My purse fit easily in the zippered tote. My ziplock of travel-sized liquids was taken to be scanned (x-rayed?) They asked if I had any food, so I gave them my packet of pretzel bits and small bag of jelly beans. Those were taken to be tested, too! I asked if this was happening because it is the airport that the president uses, and was told that this was the new national security policy, and soon all airports would start screening this thoroughly. The lead security lady told me that Miami and Fort Lauderdale piloted this new screening policy starting six months ago, and that all airports would need to follow these procedures within the next year. After I was cleared, I had to get in line to retrieve my ziplock of liquids, pretzels, and jelly beans. Unfortunately, a young family was having their formula, baby food, etc. tested ahead of me. Ten minutes later, they finally tested my things. It was crazy!! The airport was very empty. It was the middle of the afternoon, in the middle of the week, during low season. I can't even imagine how long it would have taken had there been even moderate crowds!

After I gathered all of my belongings, I headed to a news stand to buy a bottle of water. The young lady manning the register told me that it usually takes her 40 minutes to make it through the morning security line so that she can get to her news stand! She said that she packs her lunch and gets stuck in the crush of early morning travelers trying to make it through security. All that I could envision was holiday travel nightmares at MCO!!

So my guess is that the new 4 hour policy for Magical Express reflects this new screening law. I had the choice to book my daughter's Thanksgiving flight home from a college in between Orlando and Tampa through MCO or Tampa. I chose Tampa to avoid what I worry will be a messy situation at MCO. Her plan is to get to the airport at least 4 hours early and spend any left over time studying before she boards the plane.

Please plan on leaving early for your flights this time. It would really be horrible to gain an extra hour at WDW and miss your flight!

Okay, from TinkOhio's experience it sounds like when leaving to go home through MCO we'd be best to leave our 3-1-1 bag in our checked luggage and bring no food items. My daughter is going to have a fit if I tell her this as it's tradition with her to get a candy apple on our last day and prove to me that she can get it home in one piece :)

Yuk! Thanks for the info! Maybe they're trying to discourage ME users..
It’s due to the amount of construction both inside and outside the terminal, increased holiday traffic and new TSA screening laws. I suspect once the holidays and construction are over, it will revert back to 3 hours. But I definitely don’t think this is being done to discourage the use of ME - in fact, it’s likely in response to recent missed flights or near misses from those who’ve only had a 3 hour window.

It’s due to the amount of construction both inside and outside the terminal, increased holiday traffic and new TSA screening laws. I suspect once the holidays and construction are over, it will revert back to 3 hours. But I definitely don’t think this is being done to discourage the use of ME - in fact, it’s likely in response to recent missed flights or near misses from those who’ve only had a 3 hour window.

I agree - why would they want to discourage people from using a service that basically helps keep people on property?

Just my opinion, but I would definitely plan on getting to MCO earlier than 2 hours before your flight. ..........

........So my guess is that the new 4 hour policy for Magical Express reflects this new screening law. I had the choice to book my daughter's Thanksgiving flight home from a college in between Orlando and Tampa through MCO or Tampa. I chose Tampa to avoid what I worry will be a messy situation at MCO. Her plan is to get to the airport at least 4 hours early and spend any left over time studying before she boards the plane.

Please plan on leaving early for your flights this time. It would really be horrible to gain an extra hour at WDW and miss your flight!

Okay, from TinkOhio's experience it sounds like when leaving to go home through MCO we'd be best to leave our 3-1-1 bag in our checked luggage and bring no food items. My daughter is going to have a fit if I tell her this as it's tradition with her to get a candy apple on our last day and prove to me that she can get it home in one piece :)

The crazy thing is that all reports are saying that MCO TSA now will only screen those who are 2 hours or less from departure. So arriving 3 hours ahead of time will leave you waiting outside of screening anyway.

Attended the party on Tues. Nov 14th... the place was packed and apparently sold out! Fireworks were spectacular and we were only a row back to watch one of the best Disney parades I've seen. Lots of people there without bands, so it looked like castmembers did not do a very good sweep. They were checking for bands before you got cookies or tried to board an attraction, however.
This explains why it felt so unbelievably crowded that night. Not sure I’d do this again based on my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter