Official Proof of Time

GollyGadget

DIS Veteran
What does runDisney mean by "officially timed race?" I've read differing views varying from a USATF verified course to any race with results posted online. Does anyone have any experience with what exactly they mean? The description on the site says nothing about a certified course.

Text from runDisney.com:
"Proof of time must be provided from an officially timed race reflecting results after January 1, 2016 and must be one of the below listed distances. Runners will be placed in the last corral if the appropriate race distance is not submitted for Proof of Time."

I've sent them an email and will let you all know how they respond but I was hoping someone here might have some insight.

I seriously doubt it needs to be a USATF certified course just because of the logistics. For every spot check runDisney likely does, they would first have to verify that the course was certified (which can take some time) plus verify your time (much quicker). They simply don't have time to perform the certified course check. In theory, all races that are certified are supposed to post their certification number on their website, but most don't (including runDisney).

What does runDisney mean by "officially timed race?" I've read differing views varying from a USATF verified course to any race with results posted online. Does anyone have any experience with what exactly they mean? The description on the site says nothing about a certified course.

Text from runDisney.com:
"Proof of time must be provided from an officially timed race reflecting results after January 1, 2016 and must be one of the below listed distances. Runners will be placed in the last corral if the appropriate race distance is not submitted for Proof of Time."

I've sent them an email and will let you all know how they respond but I was hoping someone here might have some insight.

I have had this same question before and did the same thing you are doing now. They never really clearly answer the question for me. After several discussions with others, it seems what they are looking for are results in which are posted online from a actual race. What they are trying to say is that a link to your Garmin account of a run does not count. They want a link to the race results of a race you ran with a timing mats used. At one point they used certified race which really confused people because it sounded like ones POT had to be ran on a course that was certified. The later revised the verbiage to officially timed race, which as I said earlier just means a race with other runners put on by some sort of organization, timing mats, and results posted online for all the world to see and for you to send a link to them. Hope this clears things up for you if not let me know and I'll try to explain better.

Side note, a large amount of half marathons and marathon are certified. Shorter distance races are less commonly certified as the majority of them are small local charity events whose purpose is to raise funds for their cause. The time and funds to certify the course isn't important to them. This is not always the case, but to check you can go the USATF site and search for any race and see its certification record.

Thanks for the input! This is how I interpreted it as well. I just discovered a local 10 mi race in September I want to use as a POT but I know the course isn't certified. Seems like since the race is timed and results will be available, the race should be "official."

I have had this same question before and did the same thing you are doing now. They never really clearly answer the question for me. After several discussions with others, it seems what they are looking for are results in which are posted online from a actual race. What they are trying to say is that a link to your Garmin account of a run does not count. They want a link to the race results of a race you ran with a timing mats used. At one point they used certified race which really confused people because it sounded like ones POT had to be ran on a course that was certified. The later revised the verbiage to officially timed race, which as I said earlier just means a race with other runners put on by some sort of organization, timing mats, and results posted online for all the world to see and for you to send a link to them. Hope this clears things up for you if not let me know and I'll try to explain better.

Side note, a large amount of half marathons and marathon are certified. Shorter distance races are less commonly certified as the majority of them are small local charity events whose purpose is to raise funds for their cause. The time and funds to certify the course isn't important to them. This is not always the case, but to check you can go the USATF site and search for any race and see its certification record.

Part of the problem is that the requirements seem to keep drifting around. When I started down the RunDisney path in early 2015 they specified that PoT races had to be both chip timed and USATF certified. They have been softening the verbiage around the requirements ever since. The sense that I get is that they got feedback that a good number of runners, especially overseas runners, were having difficulty finding races to meet that high a bar.

If you are from outside the US how do you send proof? I have chip times from Irish 10K races. Would those count? (I am planning on running the W and D half)

If you are from outside the US how do you send proof? I have chip times from Irish 10K races. Would those count? (I am planning on running the W and D half)

There needs to be a race website with results on it that you can link to.

DD's time is on this site:

http://www.runrocknroll.com/nashville/

Would something like this work? She just began entering 1/2s thus year.

For me, I usually go more specific. So the link I provide rundisney would be more like this one:

http://www.runrocknroll.com/finishe...esultpage=1&eventid=49&subevent_id=1&bib=2042

*Note I just chose a random person from the race you linked.

This allows runDisney to validate the POT easier if they choose to do so. It isn't required, but helpful.

Edit to add- And yes, that race would certainly work as a POT since it meets the ideas everyone laid out above. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
For me, I usually go more specific. So the link I provide rundisney would be more like this one:

http://www.runrocknroll.com/finishe...esultpage=1&eventid=49&subevent_id=1&bib=2042

*Note I just chose a random person from the race you linked.

This allows runDisney to validate the POT easier if they choose to do so. It isn't required, but helpful.

Thanks, I have that page for her, just didn't want to put it out there on the DIS. So that will work?

We're trying to pull together a "last minute" (Only at WDW could 8 months in advance be considered last minute!) registration and this is all new to us.

Thanks, I have that page for her, just didn't want to put it out there on the DIS. So that will work?

We're trying to pull together a "last minute" (Only at WDW could 8 months in advance be considered last minute!) registration and this is all new to us.

No worries! Yea, I think that race would work great for a POT. Just remember for marathon weekend you have until early October to submit a new POT if you wish to do so. I think the cutoff is Oct 3rd for submission. Here to help if you've got any other questions!

Your POT does not need to be submitted at the time of your registration. You have a cut-off date, usually 3 months before the actual race to input your POT, which you can just update in your Active account.

No worries! Yea, I think that race would work great for a POT. Just remember for marathon weekend you have until early October to submit a new POT if you wish to do so. I think the cutoff is Oct 3rd for submission. Here to help if you've got any other questions!

Thank you, I'm sure I'll be back!

Your POT does not need to be submitted at the time of your registration. You have a cut-off date, usually 3 months before the actual race to input your POT, which you can just update in your Active account.

But be sure to update the estimated time you chose at registration, if it doesn't match your POT!!!

My interpretation is that a POT race does not have to be chip-timed. I think it used to say 'electronically timed', but that has been changed to 'officially timed'.

I guess I'll find out this January because my Dopey POT race is neither on a certified course or chip-timed.
My POT race was a small charity 10K and it was not chip timed. But it was timed. The official timing device used was included in the posted results- it looks like it was an app on a cell phone. Which I guess you can do when there are just 9 people running the 10k.

As promised, runDisney response is below. Not very specific but does seem in line with what others mentioned.

"You can check with the race that you are planning to submit, and they will know if their results are official. We do not accept self-timed or virtual runs.

Thank you,
Track Shack Events on behalf of runDisney"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter