D23 EXPO 2019 Superthread - dates announced!

Do you want Fresno - ABC30's Cory James to cover Media Day at Disneyland - SWGE?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What PhotoPass and magic shots are there in SWGE? I"ve heard about a couple but haven't seen any examples.
I saw PhotoPass photographers in front of the Millennium Falcon
In front the Tie Fighter (on the First Order side)
Next to the Droid Depot exit
In front of the two Resistance ships (on the Resistance side)

The only magic shot I experienced was at the Tie Fighter. They told us to look down at this spot on the floor which they replaced with a Kowakian monkey-lizard.

I'm glad I was able to help explain the difference between the lightsabers. As for fitting in standard luggage, I believe so. If memory serves from when my nephew built one a year ago, the blades are semi collapsible. Meaning the blade will collapse about 3/4 of the way, so part of the blade will still stick out at all times. If he has his heart set on a collapsible blade, I think they still sell light up prebuilt collapsible blade lightsabers where the blade will fit entirely inside the hilt when collapsed.
My husband carried on his light saber. The TSA agents were very curious about it and checked it out carefully. Then they wanted a demonstration (it wasn't crowded). We were flying on Southwest domestically. Here's what TSA has to say about light sabers:

Light Saber
Carry On Bags:
Yes
Checked Bags:
Yes
Sadly, the technology doesn't currently exist to create a real lightsaber. However, you can pack a toy lightsaber in your carry-on or checked bag. May the force be with you.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/light-saber

Question about the droid building.... Do you have to purchase a personality chip?? If not what does droid do without vs. with?
Thanks. I might just get a basic droid then inside of the backpack. The chips sound cool, but since I don't really get the difference in the personalities, I'll just keep it simple.
My understanding is that some of it has to do with how they behave in the land itself - like, the Resistance droids get upset in the First Order area. We saw a few people sending their droids around the different areas and discussing stuff like that.
I have heard that the droids interact with each other. Does any one have experience with that? And if so, do personality chips make a difference here?
This thread is moving fast!

The droid works just fine without a chip. And it will interact with the land. I think mine started to sound nervous in the First Order area, even without the Resistance chip in her. The most fun area is near the "cantina" bathrooms (behind the Milk Stand) - it's themed like the back exit from the Droid Depot so there are lots of droids being worked on. My girl definitely perked up when I walked near there. I saw plenty of droids interacting and expect most of them didn't have personality chips in. (That droid area I mentioned is sort of the hang-out spot where I've seen several droid owners interacting with their new companions.) I haven't had the chance to see if one with a Resistance chip will interact differently near a droid with a First Order chip, but that would be cool! I'll be bringing her back on Saturday, so hopefully will get to see more interactions!

One thing for the BB units, they will turn off automatically after not being used. It's pretty easy to get them back on - you just need to twist open the base and flick the switch to off/on again. I think when they are in the land, they are more actively receiving signals, so won't turn off, but after a few minutes out of signal range, they may turn off and you need to turn them back on to get them to interact again.

Hi, new here and appreciate the wealth of information already shared. We have a 6/11 8am reservation.

Can anyone share how they handle handicap access on MFSR? And how accessible is SWGE in general?

I tore my Achilles a couple weeks back but determined to keep my promise to the kids. Will be on one of those EV scooters and nervous in general since I’ve never been disabled while at DL. Thanks.
I saw someone in a wheelchair go all the way through the MFSR queue in it. She wasn't in my group, so I don't know if she had to transfer or not, or how they handle scooters, though.

But the big question is this: what time did you get to DL to line up in order to be near the front of the Launch Bay check in...again early enough to be near the front of the CM-held queue line leading everyone in so that you would be near the front enough to get INTO Oga's at 8:15?
We got to the parking lot at 6am, into DL around 6:15, and through check-in by 6:30. At which point, we were pretty far back in the mass congregating near the Matterhorn. However, since it was an EMH day, they let people in the SWGE queue into Fantasyland at 7am at which point my husband told me to take off and he would catch up, so I spedwalk and weaved my way around probably 500 people to get to the next queue checkpoint at Red Rose Tavern as some people broke off to do Fantasyland rides. At that point I was maybe 200 people back. Then at 7:30 when they moved up the line to the Frontierland entrance, I bypassed a few more groups again so this was how far back I was at rope drop.

Then I spedwalk straight to the Cantina and ended up maybe 40 people back in line.

I saw someone in a wheelchair go all the way through the MFSR queue in it. She wasn't in my group, so I don't know if she had to transfer or not, or how they handle scooters, though.
I saw scooters and wheelchairs in the holding room before you enter the cockpit.

They have the two turntable rooms, but if you need more time to transfer, then you can get sent to the ADA pod. For the scooters, there are back-of-house corridors for the CMs to move them from the loading room to the unloading room (which are pretty much right next to each other).

We got to the parking lot at 6am, into DL around 6:15, and through check-in by 6:30. At which point, we were pretty far back in the mass congregating near the Matterhorn. However, since it was an EMH day, they let people in the SWGE queue into Fantasyland at 7am at which point my husband told me to take off and he would catch up, so I spedwalk and weaved my way around probably 500 people to get to the next queue checkpoint at Red Rose Tavern as some people broke off to do Fantasyland rides. At that point I was maybe 200 people back. Then at 7:30 when they moved up the line to the Frontierland entrance, I bypassed a few more groups again so this was how far back I was at rope drop.

View attachment 405990

Then I spedwalk straight to the Cantina and ended up maybe 40 people back in line.
Thanks. Now, the next question is this, with EMH, did they let EVERYONE in SWGE queue go into FL or did you need to show your resort key?

I saw scooters and wheelchairs in the holding room before you enter the cockpit.

They have the two turntable rooms, but if you need more time to transfer, then you can get sent to the ADA pod. For the scooters, there are back-of-house corridors for the CMs to move them from the loading room to the unloading room (which are pretty much right next to each other).
The moving of the ECV happened in one of my rides on Saturday since the person was able to walk in to the regular pod.

Thanks. Now, the next question is this, with EMH, did they let EVERYONE in SWGE queue go into FL or did you need to show your resort key?
They let EVERYONE into Fantasyland on 6/1, which surprised me. So unless they correct this, I'd try to enter Fantasyland via the castle and make a beeline for the Tavern ahead of the SWGE queue. When you check-in, you should verify if they will be using that checkpoint on your visit and plan accordingly.

I saw PhotoPass photographers in front of the Millennium Falcon
In front the Tie Fighter (on the First Order side)
Next to the Droid Depot exit
In front of the two Resistance ships (on the Resistance side)

The only magic shot I experienced was at the Tie Fighter. They told us to look down at this spot on the floor which they replaced with a Kowakian monkey-lizard.
View attachment 405988
Is that a Sonic Youth/Star Wars mashup t-shirt!? I need this.

Everything is accessible. At falcon they may send you up the FP ramp and if you need extra time to load you’ll likely be directed to the ADA pod. Unfortunately the single rider line has stairs so that would be out for you.
It has been reported that there is an Information Kiosk inside GE near the Big Thunder Trail/Frontierland entrance. If you need any assistance or have any questions about accessibility during your reservation window, you can ask CMs once you get to GE.

Thank you all! This puts my mind at ease, though I think I'm going to have to ride in the ADA pod since it's hard for me to transition.

I apologize if it's been mentioned or posted already but... has any semblance of a day-by-day itinerary or schedule of events been posted as of yet? I know they keep adding stuff and fine-tuning it until like a week before the expo but isn't there usually a rough outline posted anywhere by now??

They let EVERYONE into Fantasyland on 6/1, which surprised me. So unless they correct this, I'd try to enter Fantasyland via the castle and make a beeline for the Tavern ahead of the SWGE queue. When you check-in, you should verify if they will be using that checkpoint on your visit and plan accordingly.
This was my experience, too. I was thinking that it was unfair to those who had EMH and not a reservation!

I apologize if it's been mentioned or posted already but... has any semblance of a day-by-day itinerary or schedule of events been posted as of yet? I know they keep adding stuff and fine-tuning it until like a week before the expo but isn't there usually a rough outline posted anywhere by now??

The only thing they've released so far is the Disney Legends. At nearly 2 1/2 months out, I'm not surprised there is no schedule released yet.

Everything is accessible. At falcon they may send you up the FP ramp and if you need extra time to load you’ll likely be directed to the ADA pod. Unfortunately the single rider line has stairs so that would be out for you.

I was wondering about Single Rider with a wheelchair. Guess that won't work to get a few extra rides. Thanks for that information.

I was wondering about Single Rider with a wheelchair. Guess that won't work to get a few extra rides. Thanks for that information.
Yeah. It’s a long hallway and then you split and go either left or right up a flight and half of stairs.

This thread is moving fast!

The droid works just fine without a chip. And it will interact with the land. I think mine started to sound nervous in the First Order area, even without the Resistance chip in her. The most fun area is near the "cantina" bathrooms (behind the Milk Stand) - it's themed like the back exit from the Droid Depot so there are lots of droids being worked on. My girl definitely perked up when I walked near there. I saw plenty of droids interacting and expect most of them didn't have personality chips in. (That droid area I mentioned is sort of the hang-out spot where I've seen several droid owners interacting with their new companions.) I haven't had the chance to see if one with a Resistance chip will interact differently near a droid with a First Order chip, but that would be cool! I'll be bringing her back on Saturday, so hopefully will get to see more interactions!

One thing for the BB units, they will turn off automatically after not being used. It's pretty easy to get them back on - you just need to twist open the base and flick the switch to off/on again. I think when they are in the land, they are more actively receiving signals, so won't turn off, but after a few minutes out of signal range, they may turn off and you need to turn them back on to get them to interact again.
Both the custom R2 style and BB-8 style droids you build will interact with the land and sound like R2 and BB-8 respectively without the personality chips. BTW, the pre-built R2-D2 and pre-built BB-8 also interact with the land and can accept the personality chips - they are the same components as the custom units just in the traditional color scheme. All droids will Interact with each other when in proximity to another droid.

When you add the personality chip (there are 6 chip options - 2 for resistance, 2 for first order and 2 for smuggler) each causes the sounds to change and the droid to react differently depending on where you are within Batuu.

This modularity is actually really
smart as it allows expansion and experience changes to the droid you’ve built for subsequent visits. I also highly recommend the backpack as it protects the droids well and the magnetic back flap allows the droid to peek out and interact with others.

FYI - This approach to modularity in the custom droids are like the Jedi and Sith holocrons in that they have a default mode without expansion personality chips. Example, the Jedi holocron defaults to Obi-Wan speaking without anything extra and when you put a kyber crystal in it, it will change color and voice - white kyber crystal yields Asoka Tano speaking. And yes, the kyber crystals are the same that change the sound and color of the custom light saber from Savi’s so a complete set would be all seven kyber crystals, both Jedi and Sith holocrons (did I mention the opposing holocrons are aware of each other’s presence and have special interaction between each other...) and a custom light saber to see and hear all the voices, sounds and colors.

This was my experience, too. I was thinking that it was unfair to those who had EMH and not a reservation!
Thank you! And just for confirmation, EMH is Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday at DL Park only, correct? So, conceivably this could work for our Thursday reservation, but not Friday. The plan is Savi being priority one for Thursday, and then Oga on the Friday.

Secondly, just also for confirmation. The best point if travel would be from Launch Bay past Astro Orbitor, around the hub, through the castle, and then directly to Red Rose Tavern. Correct?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter