Official thread for the 2010 Princess 1/2 Marathon & 5k- REGSITRATION IS OPEN!

I just ordered my triple print from this year's race! I'll post pictures when I get it.

I am very interested in this race. Do you know where I can find a course map of the 2009 race (assuming it will be similar in 2010)?

For those that ran this year, how hot was it? I am concerned about training in Maryland, then heading down into the FL sun/heat. Do you think it will be much of a temperature change from doing the WDW 1/2 in January?

I am brand new to running- and this is just one of those things that keeps nagging at me about signing up for a race in FL. Thanks!

If you go to the Disney endurance page (you'll need to google it since it is blocked at work) you can find the course map on the Princess Half page. Apparently it is very similar to the WDW half course in January.

It started in the Epcot parking lot and went out to World Drive, up to and through the Magic Kingdom and back down to Epcot. Better than the original plan to start at the Richard Petty Speedway, go to AK, DHS and finish at Epcot.

For those that ran this year, how hot was it? I am concerned about training in Maryland, then heading down into the FL sun/heat. Do you think it will be much of a temperature change from doing the WDW 1/2 in January?

I am brand new to running- and this is just one of those things that keeps nagging at me about signing up for a race in FL. Thanks!

I'm outside of Philly and did a lot of my training at my gym since they have an indoor track. It helped some with the temperature. It was also pretty cool in the morning (I wore a cheap poncho for about the first 1/2 mile). One thing that the people at my local running store suggested was to get to FL a few days early to get used to the weather. I arrived on Thursday before the race. I'll probably do the same thing for next years race.

I just looked up ...THE ORLANDO INTERNATIONAL CLIMATE SUMMARY FOR MARCH 8 2009... and the low was: 52 at 7.10 AM, and the high was: 81 at 4.53 PM.
I was not cold for the 1/2, but I was for the 5K, one of the helpers even gave me his jacket to wear while waiting for the start.

I live in RI, and train on my TM - especially in the winter.. and i had no problem adjusting to the FL weather. :cutie: Of course i love the warm weather, so i couldn't get on that plane fast enough! LOL I personally don't want to do the Jan race b/c the weather can seem so iffy that time of year, March was BEAUTIFUL everyday.. loved it! It was cool at the Princess 1/2 start (lol... Cold for some non-northerner's *ahem, LAUREN*) We wore black trashbags with ripped areas for our heads. Then we discarded them when the race began. However, i found myself still chilly.. so i think this time for the beginning of next years princess, i will wear a button up throw away shirt. Something i pick up at a thrift store or something. Just a lil warmer than a trashbag (although, that did work wonders!)

OMG.. 7 days huh til registration... wow!!! :banana:

Yes, LAUREN froze her a --- family board, family board, OFF! I have never been so cold for so long. There is NO WAY it was 52 out there, 45 maybe. DH has a theory we must have been near a retention pond or some water when they put us in the waiting area because it was MUCH colder over there than in the parking lot. MUCH COLDER!

So for all you non-northeners that are thinking about coming: IT'S FREAKIN' COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cold: My legs actually stayed cold to the touch until we were in the back 40 coming around for the finish. Right about the time Caits is saying, wow, it's getting a little warm out here, I'm a mile behind her saying, WHY AM I STILL COLD!

And that, my friends, is the weather according to Lauren: Cold with a side of cold with a slight sprinkeling of COLD! :lmao:

I can't believe that the registration is open already. Yay!!!

My family and I are going to be doing the 5K. They did the 5K last year and my fiance and I did the Half this year. But, we're getting married at Walt Disney World on the Monday following the Half, so we decided to just do the 5K this year. However, the Half was amazing!

Is there a way to figure out which resorts are going to be participating again???
We want to put that resort in our room block for the wedding.....I hope I can find out soon!

Thanks so much. I'm so excited! :cheer2:

Yes, LAUREN froze her a --- family board, family board, OFF! I have never been so cold for so long. There is NO WAY it was 52 out there, 45 maybe. DH has a theory we must have been near a retention pond or some water when they put us in the waiting area because it was MUCH colder over there than in the parking lot. MUCH COLDER!

So for all you non-northeners that are thinking about coming: IT'S FREAKIN' COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cold: My legs actually stayed cold to the touch until we were in the back 40 coming around for the finish. Right about the time Caits is saying, wow, it's getting a little warm out here, I'm a mile behind her saying, WHY AM I STILL COLD!

And that, my friends, is the weather according to Lauren: Cold with a side of cold with a slight sprinkeling of COLD! :lmao:

I hail from sunny southern CA and I have to agree, it was cold at the start. I brought a mylar blanket from the finish of my last race and wrapped myself up in it, even ran the first mile with it before throwing it away... but unlike Lauren, I was hot at the end! Maybe I took too long... I was afraid of cramping from the heat but there was lots of biofreeze on the course! So I guess warmth/cold is a relative thing...

I got some new shoes today!!! Yay!!! I also got some sport jelly beans that I'm going to try on my long runs. Does anyone know if the beans work well? princess:

I got some new shoes today!!! Yay!!! I also got some sport jelly beans that I'm going to try on my long runs. Does anyone know if the beans work well? princess:

I like them, because unlike gu or gels I can be chewing them while I'm running. But I actually like the Clif Shot Blocks even better - not as sugary and also easy to chew and swallow.

:stitch: 'Ohana Monday Mixer :stitch:

I've been thinking about how to create a hot topic for this week's mixer question. Turns out, the weather cooperated with me. :lmao:

Many areas of the country experienced above average temperatures this weekend, which made many of our weekend distances uncomfortable. (I was thinking especially of how the weather affected the racers at CMM, particularly our very special WISHers). So this week's mixer topic, which starts here on the 'Ohana thread:

What are your training/racing/recovery tips and strategies for hot-weather conditions?

Feel free to tell us how you alter your routines: when you go out, what gear you use or what you wear, how you hydrate and fuel differently, how to recognize danger signs, how you keep cool and/or recover from overheating, and when you decide to shorten/quit/take it inside.

As we all know, going out in the heat can be dangerous, so please help all of us by sharing your knowledge. :thumbsup2

Count me in for the Princess Half! This will be my first half. My sister an I ran the 5k last year.

I am up for the Half, if they bring it back! I am officially signed up for the Half in Jan (which will be my first-ever marathon), and I am considering doing the EE Challenge in Sept and either the ToT or Race for the Taste marathons in Oct. I can't wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter