Official Thread For Upcoming Eastern Canadian Cruises

jkpmac

DIS Veteran
Hi folks!!!!

For those of you who will be planning cruises to Halifax, Nova Scotia and Saint John, New Brunswick, let me extend an early welcome!!!

What I hope to do over the next few months with this thread is to provide information and answer questions about these two ports of call. So if you have any questions, just post them here. I will get answers for you as soon as possible.

Shortly I will be posting maps and links to various sites in these areas. Just bare with me, as the family and I do a little vacationing too.

FYI

For those looking for cruise magnets specifically for this cruise, please follow this thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2888820

We just booked this cruise so I am subscribbing.

I can't wait to learn more about what to expect on the on this cruise/at these ports.

Thank you for doing this. We have 3 generations going in August next year. The age range is from 4 to 70. Do you think there are any good excursions that may appeal to all of us? How is the whale watching in August? I am hoping we could do a lobsterbake.

Awesome! And thanks!!!

Two question to start:
1. What kind of weather can we expect for the first part of September?

There is about 4 or 5 of us massage therapists coming from Arizona.

2. September is still HOT(100+) for us. What type of clothing are we looking at?

Thanks for all your help:worship:

Annie:flower3:

We are very excited about this cruise. We will be on the inaugural cruise up the coast at the start of June. Looking for any info you have on the areas.

We are on the July 8th cruise to Canada and combining that with a trip to NYC. Like the other poster, we will have a young child and older grandparents along. Would love to hear suggestions for excursions. What is not to be missed? Any particular things to shop for? Is it possible to do an Anne of Green Gables excursion to PEI from Halifax? I'd probably totally fangirl myself with that, but I think my DD might enjoy it as well. Just not sure if it is realistic.

Thanks in advance for your help! We have been to PEI many times and have always wanted to travel to Nova Scotia and Halifax in particular. We are on the July 8 cruise.

Here is some Halifax info:
SylviaL – I’m not sure what shore excursions are being offered by Disney but good news…downtown Halifax is a very compact city with lots of things to do in the downtown area within walking distance of the ship. Even if you didn’t want to spend the money on an excursion you would have lots of fun wandering around the downtown.
Is the ship going to be spending the night? If it is and you are interested in a lobster bake (known as lobster suppers around here) there is a really good one at the Shore Club in Chester (just past Peggy’s Cove)

Bareacuda – answer to question 1 & 2– it will still be nice an warm in early September. It will be breezy in downtown Halifax so bring a light jacket or sweater. The days are usually anywhere from 60-80 F so it’s hard to say if it will be shorts and tshirt weather or if you will need long pants and a light shirt…the best thing to do is to check the weather network online a week before you leave to see what the forecast is for the time you are here.

Sabrecmc – unfortunately PEI is too far away from Halifax if the ship is only in port for a day. I do encourage you to come back at some point and visit PEI…it’s a wonderful island.
As to some don’t miss places…I’ll give you my opinion (I’m a history buff)
 Art gallery of Nova Scotia - www.artgalleryofnovascotia.ca – great local and Canadian artists and make sure to see the Maude Lewis section…she was an amazing folk artist who is world known.
 Maritime Museum of the Atlantic - http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mmanew/en/home/default.aspx - great info on the Titanic recovery and the Halifax Explosion, Canadian Navy, Days of Sail and Age of Steam.
 Pier 21 – www.pier21.ca – the Canadian immigration museum. I enjoy the information they have on war brides.
 The Halifax Citadel - http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/halifax/index.aspx - the citadel and the town clock are on most post cards from Halifax…great place to wander around on a nice day. If you are wandering around downtown Halifax on a weekday don’t be alarmed if you hear a loud boom at noon…it’s just the noon day gun going off at the citadel!
 The shopping areas are at Spring Garden Road (Mills Brothers is the high end department store), Hydrostone district (small trendy boutiques and coffee shops) and the Farmer’s market on the pier.
 Food? Any of the pubs are great for local seafood. Pubs are children friendly until 9pm and are all smoke free. The Five Fisherman is a nice upscale seafood restaurant. If you want something cheap and good, walk up Spring Garden road to Bud The Spud’s French fry truck and get some yummy home made French fries (if you want to look like a local ask for vinegar for your fries) and stroll the Public Gardens.

Some misc. tips…bring comfortable walking shoes…Halifax has some steep hills and you are coming from the harbour so everything is uphill…but the good news is that when you are going back to the ship…it’s all down hill!

Halifax is a port town and very multicultural so there are lots of different places to eat if you don’t like seafood…Greek, Chinese, Mexican, Thai etc…we got it all!

There is a grocery store within walking distance of the ship on Barrington Street called Atlantic Superstore. You can get some interesting souvenirs there without paying the inflated tourist prices at gift shops. For example, wild blueberry juice, apple cidar, That Dutchman’s cheese (check to see if you can bring cheese back to the US unless you want to have a picnic before you leave) and Canadian chocolate bars.

I will post more as I think of it… feel free to PM me if you have any other questions

Susan

THANK YOU:love:
I've been hoping that someone would create a good data-base, someone who knows Canada!!
SusanR and JKpmac, thank you thank you for all local info!
My teens are going to love the idea of Bud the Spud's fries ... maybe it will buy us some good will to "drag" them to some of the historical sites:rolleyes1!
And the Atlantic Superstore is definately going to be on our must-do list.
Thanks again, keep it coming, maps would be great!

Thank you for doing this. We have 3 generations going in August next year. The age range is from 4 to 70. Do you think there are any good excursions that may appeal to all of us? How is the whale watching in August? I am hoping we could do a lobsterbake.

Which date in August?? We are on the August 12th!:cool1:

My Pleasure everyone...who doesn't love showing off your home to visitors!

I just thought about this...does anyone like antique and used book stores (I'm a nerd and love to visit these wherever I visit. My favourite bookstore is called Doull's and is on the corner of Brunswick and Prince Streets in Halifax - www.doullbooks.com - it's 2 stories of books everywhere! It's a book lovers heaven! They also have a section on Atlantic Canada...I think that would be a nice thing to take home.

Let me think on some things for teens to do...I'll ask my friend's teens to see what they like to do...

Thanks for the info! My family is originally from the Bridgewater/New Germany area...looking very forward to this trip

I am in St John right now on my fifth multi-night vacation. For many people, St John is a stop on the way to PEI or Nova Scotia. We like it so much we have made it a destination vacation.

I have been thinking of activities in terms of a cruise ship day and will share my thoughts when my current trip is over.

Mainegal,Looking forward to your comments and thoughts on Saint John:goodvibes

SylviaL and family, you'll be warming up the boat for us!:thumbsup2

So here is a random question for you. . .
How many ships can either port handle in a day? Is it typically only one ship?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter