Official WDW Marathon Weekend 2013 Thread-Part 2

...[snip]...
3.) this is a general disney question. When buying the official merchandise, can you get the disney visa discount only if you use the actual Visa card, or can I use my visa rewards gift card? Last year the lady who checked me out said I had to use my Visa card, but I think she might have been wrong. I have a bunch of rewards to use, but would also like to save the 15%...

Last year I used giftcards + an AP discount on the official merchandise. The giftcards were just regular giftcards though...not sure how that would work with the Visa discount. So I'm no help...:confused3

Hey guys so this is a bit last minute but here's the deal. I decided to do the Tinkerbell Half instead of the WDW full because of personal reasons mentioned in the last thread. I still have two tickets for the pasta party good for the night before the full. If anyone wants them I am willing to mail them.

DisneyDaze36 said:
Long time lurker, first time poster!

I can not thank everyone on this thread enough! You have all answered so many questions for a first time half marathoner! This will be my husband and my first half marathon. What a better place to do it at than Disney!!

We are even more excited about taking a Disney trip without our 3 boys!!! Haven't done Disney without them since they started arriving!

Best of luck to everyone and have a magical run!!!
Jen:cheer2:

Hello Disney Daze! Welcome to the site. You will have a great time. Last year was my first Half it was alot fun. I am in corral F this year. I am a walker and enjoyed every mile. :)

Colleen

Hey guys so this is a bit last minute but here's the deal. I decided to do the Tinkerbell Half instead of the WDW full because of personal reasons mentioned in the last thread. I still have two tickets for the pasta party good for the night before the full. If anyone wants them I am willing to mail them.

How much? I would love to have them.

2) Question about PT...I have gone 2 times now for my knee (no one can decide if its ITBS or runners knee or both). Anyways, the first time was last Thursday. The physical therapist showed me a bunch of stretches to do and how to use a foam roller and told me to do them at home. Great. So I've been doing them everyday. I went back yesterday and they just had me do the same thing again. Nothing new. Is that normal? I feel like I paid $25 for what I had been doing at home!

Is the PT doing any hands-on, Ultrasound, estim, massage? The exercises that you describe seem very appropriate and there is probably not much else to add, but the PT should be using some other techniques to get you better...fast. You should ask if there are any taping techniques that you could apply on race day to decrease the pain. Good Luck!

Not sure where to post this but since this group has been so helpful for all my marathon questions, I thought someone might be able to shed some light on the kids' races.

Our son is doing the 200 meter Saturday at 11am. Do all the 4-6 year olds run at one time or do they break them down into different groups? (I'm trying to make a lunch reservation and wondering what time we could be at the Poly.)

One additional question, is it pretty obvious where to park and go to meet up with runners after the marathon on Sunday? Our parents aren't at all familiar with Disney. They don't have park tickets but would like to see my husband and I finish. If I just tell them to park at Epcot and head to the finish area is that sufficient or should I provide more detailed directions?

Thanks!

kmg148 said:
I did! I'm looking forward to it! :) Also looking forward to one less run I have to do at home or at the hotel that week!

Congrats! I hope to do this someday.

Last year when I ran the 5K we ran out through the International Gateway and then back in through a back stage area. My daughter is running the 5K and part of our family was wanting to wait out by the International Gateway (outside the park by walkway to to BC). Based on the map it looks like it goes that way again. Do you think this is doable? My husband and I are will be at the start/finish.

Most of the work for PT is knowing what to do and doing it. For ITBS the foam roller and ITBS stretches are the key (and not increasing mileage or distance too much and not running on sloped roads). For Runner's Knee it is usually about getting the inflammation down and strengthening your quads. That's about all that really can be done.

It should be easy to distinguish the two. ITBS hurts directly on the exterior side of the knee. Runner's Knee is like under the knee cap. I have had both in the past. If you have ITBS, be very careful at WDW. The roads are highly canted in many places. Always look for where the road is the flattest and try and stay on that line.

No one can seem to figure it out. When I run (and only when I run), it hurts little to the outside of the knee but about an inch down. Then when I run, bend down, go up or down stairs, the kneecap hurts. They say my ITband is tight, yet there is no pain at all when I use the foam roller there (and I've heard that kills) and while it's tight, there's no pain when they stretch that muscle either. And thanks for the warning about the roads!

Last January, there was a tent area where you could take your medal and have it engraved on the spot. It costs $25 'cash' and you give them your medal and wait about 15 minutes before it is completed. They have a laptop and pull your official finish time right there if you want that engraved. So bring some cash with you.

Ok good! I wanted to be able to continue the trend but wasnt sure they did it outside of the parks (although I need to remember the cash issue...the other two times I had to go find an ATM...but I will remember this time!!)

If PT has given you a regimen of strengthening and stretching to do, and you are comfortable doing them on your own, then my opinion (not medical) is that you should be fine doing it on your own. I speak from experience. I went to PT for IT band when I first had it and at $100+ a pop for sessions it was an expensive fix. In January when I had strained hip flexors, I just had the doc give me the exercises and skipped PT.

PT is great for some injuries--they helped me when I had my herniated cervical disk (diagnosed it before my sports med guy)--but for others, I think--and my doctor thinks--it's okay to go it alone.

Maura

Luckily, today the owner worked with me and he actually stretched me. We did a lot of stretches that I see trainers doing to football players. I feel better (mentally) about the PT today. We'll see how my knee feels on my run tomorrow!

That's exactly why I stopped going to PT--except my copay was $60!! We never did anything hands-on, she just gave me things to work on at home. I quit after the third appointment. Obviously this would vary person to person, but no, I don't think it's incredibly uncommon.

Hopefully for the other 3 sessions I'm going to, the owner will be there. He seems to be really into that I'm into running and always asking how its going. My next appt is next Friday, right before the half. He mentioned taping me so I'm hoping he'll remember!

I will echo this about the roadways in WDW. Through the years I have found that running the traffic stripes is about the flattest spot on the roadway. This would apply to the long stretches on World, Bear Island and Osceola. Running the stripes comes with a hazard that many from the north have not seen; raised divider line reflectors. You know, the little things about every 2-3 lines that go bump, bump it you are changing lanes. They are not tall and are only a hazard if you step on one funny or toe into one. The other hazard of running the stripes is that since flatter than the lanes on either side; it also collects a small amount of water in a rain event. If taking this route, beware of the reflectors and puddles.

Ouch! I definitely know about those raised divider lines. I may have tripped over one (oops!)

Weird. My PT does TENS therapy (electrodes), ultrasound, massage and traction in a visit.
He will also then show me some stuff to do at home.

I haven't had any of those things!

Is the PT doing any hands-on, Ultrasound, estim, massage? The exercises that you describe seem very appropriate and there is probably not much else to add, but the PT should be using some other techniques to get you better...fast. You should ask if there are any taping techniques that you could apply on race day to decrease the pain. Good Luck!

The PT today did hands on but no ultrasound or massage. And I have no idea what estim is. The owner said he'll tape me next Friday, so I'm hoping he remembers.

Although, is taping one of those things where you should try running with it first? Or if it bothers me during the race, can I just rip it off?

kmg148 said:
Did anyone get into the meetup on Friday?

I did! So excited that I got in, especially as part of my first marathon. Can't wait to get down there.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Funniest shirt I saw last year at the Half was "It's not a marathon until the nipples bleed". In regards to that, for the halfs I have gotten by with a generous application of vaseline. This year is my first full, and I am not sure it will be enough. What might work better? I have heard bandaids. Is bodyglide preferable over plain vaseline? Thanks!

ahoff said:
Funniest shirt I saw last year at the Half was "It's not a marathon until the nipples bleed". In regards to that, for the halfs I have gotten by with a generous application of vaseline. This year is my first full, and I am not sure it will be enough. What might work better? I have heard bandaids. Is bodyglide preferable over plain vaseline? Thanks!

I love that! Along those same lines I've seen a bumper sticker that said "toenails are overrated."

ahoff said:

I use the small bandaids. About the size of a penny, keeps bloody pool from forming on your chest. Also avoids any goopy mess like Vaseline. Only pain is minimal chest hair interference when you pull them off. :)

According to their website (http://www.kttape.com/events/) the application is free and tape is sold at a discount. A box (20 strips) is $13-20, but hopefully they'll be selling individual strips or the packs made for specific applications (knee or whatever) which I think are about $10 MSRP.

Okay thanks, maybe I will just plan on doing that. I am planning on an extended retirement from running after this half, just need something to get me through. I am a little worried about it. I am just going to take my time and not pressure myself and walk as much as I need.

I got taped at Disneyland Half, and it was freeeeeeee!!

No need to buy anything.

And that bad boy stayed on for days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter