Official Wine and Dine 2017 thread

Course maps
5k https://www.usatf.org/events/courses/maps/showMap.asp?courseID=FL17048TY
10k https://www.usatf.org/events/courses/maps/showMap.asp?courseID=FL17049TY
Half https://www.usatf.org/events/courses/maps/showMap.asp?courseID=FL17050TY

Looks like the 5k goes through Pandora.
10k & Half look the same as Darkside. Edited thanks to @Dis_Yoda to add except Half now has Pandora

I'm so excited for my parents running!

OMG, thank you so much! You've made my day, great course! Nice addition to have pandora to pass through!

I was supposed to do a long run today and had no motivation at all. Ended up at the gym doing 1 mile on the rower, 35 minutes on the elliptical and 35 minutes on the treadmill. Not too bad for little motivation but wished I got out there and ran the 7 miles I had planned.

Much like the first of the 10K for marathon weekend or Princes.....

Sorry, I am a west-coaster and this will be my first WDW race. I am used to the 10k's in California where you run through both parks for basically the whole race.

Sorry, I am a west-coaster and this will be my first WDW race. I am used to the 10k's in California where you run through both parks for basically the whole race.

I was actually so pleasantly shocked at how much park there is in DL races! This course though looks to be a fun change up from the january and feb 10k's that I am used to doing :)

I'm going in between feeling trained and ready to go, and then feel like everything is falling apart. Last week was the first week I did all my scheduled runs (following Galloway's plan for the challenge) and that 11-miler suuuuucccked. It was a struggle fest, ended with my average pace being 1 minute slower than all my other long runs, with what seemed like a lot more effort; granted, it was about 20 degrees warmer than all my other long runs and DH ran with me. Although he's very speedy, I always slow down when I run with him....maybe because he tells me stories the whole time and I can't politely zone out. I was really down on myself the rest of the evening, but then I woke up Saturday morning super refreshed and got my cross-training in, so I think I'm ready! Just 2 more long runs :fish:

Today's run was rough. Scheduled for 45 minutes, but at 15 minutes, I really wanted to turn around and head back to the office. Then I saw a parked car with the license plate "DSNY FUN" in a DVC license plate holder, with stickers of Mickey on the back of the car. It made me smile, keep pushing through and reminded me of one of the many reasons why I get out there and run, to have Disney fun! :earsgirl:

Last edited:
I'm kinda of "meh" on the courses ... I like that it's something different, but after that I'm largely indifferent.

Pandora for the 5K is going to be ... um ... interesting. Last year, it was still pretty dark out when the last runners of the 5K passed through the part of the course that's now the Pandora area. That area is REALLY dark at night, and also has potential to bottleneck pretty hard.

I know I'm early to be thinking about this, but trying to figure out our transportation the morning of the half. We will be staying off site so can't take advantage of the free shuttle :(. I remember reading that for races where we have different beginning/end points, we would park at Epcot and then take a shuttle to the race start. Do you know about what time we would need to park at Epcot to take one of the shuttles? Would it be possible to have someone drop us off at the race start closer to the MK parking lot? If so, about what time would that need to be (i.e. could I sleep a little bit more)? Thanks!

I know I'm early to be thinking about this, but trying to figure out our transportation the morning of the half. We will be staying off site so can't take advantage of the free shuttle :(. I remember reading that for races where we have different beginning/end points, we would park at Epcot and then take a shuttle to the race start. Do you know about what time we would need to park at Epcot to take one of the shuttles? Would it be possible to have someone drop us off at the race start closer to the MK parking lot? If so, about what time would that need to be (i.e. could I sleep a little bit more)? Thanks!
Transportation Times will all be listed in the event guide but from the Darkside 2017 guide which has this similar course here are times, which could of course change but may help you preplan a little. Yes there was a runner drop off at MK, which didn't have times so you could get dropped off whenever you want I suppose.
STAR WARS™ HALF MARATHON — THE DARK SIDE
Bus Transportation
  • 3:00 a.m. – 5:00 a.m. Buses running from Host Resorts to Start Line at Magic Kingdom®
  • 6:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Buses running from Host Resorts to Finish Line at Epco
  • 3:00 a.m. – 6:30 a.m. Buses running between Finish Line at Epcot® to Magic Kingdom®
  • NO Monorail Transportation will be available
  • Participants must board a bus by 4:00 a.m. in order to make it to their corrals on time.
  • Runner drop off is available in the Charter Lot of Magic Kingdom® Park or the Charter Lot at Epcot®.

Transportation Times will all be listed in the event guide but from the Darkside 2017 guide which has this similar course here are times, which could of course change but may help you preplan a little. Yes there was a runner drop off at MK, which didn't have times so you could get dropped off whenever you want I suppose.
STAR WARS™ HALF MARATHON — THE DARK SIDE
Bus Transportation
  • 3:00 a.m. – 5:00 a.m. Buses running from Host Resorts to Start Line at Magic Kingdom®
  • 6:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Buses running from Host Resorts to Finish Line at Epco
  • 3:00 a.m. – 6:30 a.m. Buses running between Finish Line at Epcot® to Magic Kingdom®
  • NO Monorail Transportation will be available
  • Participants must board a bus by 4:00 a.m. in order to make it to their corrals on time.
  • Runner drop off is available in the Charter Lot of Magic Kingdom® Park or the Charter Lot at Epcot®.
Perfect-- thank you very much for this info! Hopefully my parents will be nice to us and drop us off...

Also-- ETA: If we were going to have someone drop us off, what would be a good time to arrive? I know it is a long walk to the corrals, but would that be 4:30? 5? How late can we push it? We won't be in any of the early corrals as we weren't able to submit a POT.

Last edited:
Being that that the 2016 Wine and Dine half is my only Disney race to date, as you might expect I’m quite pleased with the 10k and half courses.

Course maps
5k https://www.usatf.org/events/courses/maps/showMap.asp?courseID=FL17048TY
10k https://www.usatf.org/events/courses/maps/showMap.asp?courseID=FL17049TY
Half https://www.usatf.org/events/courses/maps/showMap.asp?courseID=FL17050TY

Looks like the 5k goes through Pandora.
10k & Half look the same as Darkside. Edited thanks to @Dis_Yoda to add except Half now has Pandora

I'm so excited for my parents running!
THANK YOU for posting these! It's exactly what I needed to see exactly right now. I might even make it my phone lock screen at least until I get my 10 miler in this weekend.

I'm so excited to see that they changed the course. I didn't do 2016 wine and dine but when I saw the way they changed dark side for 2017 I had a good feeling about wine and dine and that's why I ended up signing up. So glad it was a good hunch.

As others have said, running thru pandora will be interesting. Super cool as long as they light the paths well. I also feel completely lost and overwhelmed in there at night and will be watching my step carefully! (Edited to add: I keep forgetting this is a morning run now)

Not to be greedy but wouldn't it be nice if they had the new DHS holiday stuff going on when we go thru there? (Osborne lights...sniff sniff) I'm happy to preview it for them before official start on nov 9.

Also-- ETA: If we were going to have someone drop us off, what would be a good time to arrive? I know it is a long walk to the corrals, but would that be 4:30? 5? How late can we push it? We won't be in any of the early corrals as we weren't able to submit a POT.
Maybe 4:30 I guess. Everyone is different on how much time they like before hand, I like to get their early as they have characters out usually for photos so try to get at least one of those before & to just get myself awake. I fee like 5 would be pushing it for me for sure, but I don't drive in so don't know how quickly parking is.

But you all still have time to keep training! Just don't go from zero to 10 miles, etc as you don't want to get really hurt. Maybe focus on times spent running for your long run instead of miles. Like "I'm going to run at any speed(s) that feels comfortable for 90 min even if I gotta slow down I'm gonna keep on for the full time period". And then try to recover with easy runs the week before instead of cramming a really long run in that weekend before the race.

That's my "not a professional" advise :)

Thank you for this. It's so obvious, yet mentally it's helping me out. I really struggle with the idea of going for a long training run. Once I get going and get about 3 miles in, I'm fine. But getting out there and getting started can be so hard! I think I'll try this mind trick tomorrow.

Thank you for this. It's so obvious, yet mentally it's helping me out. I really struggle with the idea of going for a long training run. Once I get going and get about 3 miles in, I'm fine. But getting out there and getting started can be so hard! I think I'll try this mind trick tomorrow.

I do this at races too. I just had the hardest half marathon and the last 1/2 mile looked way more far away than I could fathom. But I just told myself it would only be 5-6 minutes of running. It didn't matter what it looked like, I knew it would only take that amount of time. Probably would have been easier if it was in Epcot let's be honest :)

I'm kinda of "meh" on the courses ... I like that it's something different, but after that I'm largely indifferent.

Pandora for the 5K is going to be ... um ... interesting. Last year, it was still pretty dark out when the last runners of the 5K passed through the part of the course that's now the Pandora area. That area is REALLY dark at night, and also has potential to bottleneck pretty hard.

Are you doing course marshaling/bike marshal(not sure the actual title) for the 5k this year?

Perfect-- thank you very much for this info! Hopefully my parents will be nice to us and drop us off...

I feel like 5 would be pushing it just from the stress standpoint. Some people are ok with that so I guess it depends on the person but I wouldn't want that extra pressure of having to hustle to my corral. I'm trying to remember the dark side set up but I'm guessing you would want at least 20 minutes to get from the first security check to your corral. That might be too much since you don't have that long walk to the corrals with the Magic Kingdom start but you have to also consider if you are doing bag check and which corral your in. Obviously being a later corral gives you extra minutes. :)

Most of this has been answered, but thought I'd chime in as someone who always drives to the WDW races. It's very easy! Personally, I leave plenty early - the later you hit the road, the higher the chance of hitting traffic snarls and closed roads. In previous years, runner drop-off was only at EP, and there were some issues with the staging area at SWDS, so I think it's quite possible they'll go back to runner drop-off being at EP with shuttles to the start at TTC. We won't know anything for sure, though, until we see the official race guide. Soon!

Thank you everyone for your feedback! We'll definitely have to see what the race guide says :) Can't believe it's getting so close. We were supposed to run the half in January and deferred our registration for the W&D. While it would have been amazing to run through MK, I love that we'll get to run through 3 parks as opposed to just 2.

Surely, that early in the morning, transportation from the host resorts to the start should be pretty swift?

Am doing the 5K, how far are we looking from the drop-off to the corrals? And is there somewhere to warm up?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter