Offsite- Never Again!!!!

"I honestly don't see how those of you who stay offsite do it."

I think it was this line that caused a reaction. OP went beyond giving her opinion on a hotel. She criticized the choices others here have made. Initially most people responded to her politely, but she continued to belittle offsite options. For instance, when I told her about the Disney-themed townhome I stayed in, she referred to it as "some townhome" in a demeaning way. No big deal, but it is rude. Most people would have more respect for her opinions if she had some experience to back them up AND expressed those opinions more politely.

Exactly! Now personally, I wouldn't go for a Diseny-themed townhouse--my gang prefers a house with a private pool, with minimal theming. Doesn't mean my choice is wrong--or that yours is. I'm glad you found a nice place to stay.

Information about a hotel that's dirty or poorly maintained is valuable. Making sweeping generalizations in a snobby way is not. Part of me wants to put it down as a young person with limited life experience. OTOH, if my DD16 posted like that, I wouldn't be defending her--I'd be telling her that she comes across as ignorant and condescending.

Originally Posted by Beccabunny View Post

With a smile on my face and more coin in my pocketbook.

I think it was this line that caused a reaction. OP went beyond giving her opinion on a hotel. She criticized the choices others here have made. Initially most people responded to her politely, but she continued to belittle offsite options. For instance, when I told her about the Disney-themed townhome I stayed in, she referred to it as "some townhome" in a demeaning way. No big deal, but it is rude. Most people would have more respect for her opinions if she had some experience to back them up AND expressed those opinions more politely.
Exactly! Now personally, I wouldn't go for a Diseny-themed townhouse--my gang prefers a house with a private pool, with minimal theming. Doesn't mean my choice is wrong--or that yours is. I'm glad you found a nice place to stay.

Information about a hotel that's dirty or poorly maintained is valuable. Making sweeping generalizations in a snobby way is not. Part of me wants to put it down as a young person with limited life experience. OTOH, if my DD16 posted like that, I wouldn't be defending her--I'd be telling her that she comes across as ignorant and condescending.

I agree 100%. Especially since it wasn't simply a response in a thread. The thread was started just to tell everyone that & in not a nice tone.

This isnt the only thread the OP felt the need to chime in about this though, if it had been I for one would have just ignored this thread, but in the "Remind me of the benefits of staying offsite" thread the OP chimed in with "None" then went back and edited it adding reasons that made it seem she was an authority on the matter. For someone with 1 night off-site (paid for by someone else) to come on this section of the Dis and post such things is a bit of trolling and deserves to be called on it. Having momma bear show up in defense is a bit of an oddity as well.

Originally Posted by Beccabunny View Post

With a smile on my face and more coin in my pocketbook.

Yes but for others saving $$$ isn't an issue when you don't want to rent a car, drive, or cook. So while you may be saving a few pennies I am saving myself stress and headache which to me is priceless.

Yes but for others saving $$$ isn't an issue when you don't want to rent a car, drive, or cook. So while you may be saving a few pennies I am saving myself stress and headache which to me is priceless.

Stress? Headache? There is nothing stressful about staying in a 2-3 bedroom timeshare that I paid under $300 a week for. The drive is not stressful, in fact I would miss it. It's nice to not be held captive waiting for a bus. Cooking? Not stressful, I don't do it. The kitchen is for heating up leftover restaurant dinners and keeping wine cold.
Stressful is everybody in one room, rushing to share one bathroom, not getting any sleep, waiting for a bus in the heat and having to stay on disney property instead of exploring other worthy places in the area.
I've been going to Disney as an adult since 1976, I think I have a little experience.

It all depends on what causes you stress and headaches. Waiting around for a bus, and getting my special needs child on and off that bus, would cause me plenty of stress and headaches, so even when staying onsite we always rented a car. I can handle a couple of days in a hotel room, but beyond that my family needs space and privacy. There again, we're saving ourselves stress and headaches. It's really all a matter of personal preference/needs. If I could AFFORD the kind of accomodations my family needs at an onsite resort, we'd go back to staying onsite. Next year we may even do a split stay, with just a few days onsite at a monorail resort. As for savings, for us it's been a lot more than just a few pennies when staying offsite.

So while you may be saving a few pennies
If your "Location" tag is correct, and you are staying at the Grand on a regular basis, that's going to be one big pile of pennies. Or, maybe your pennies are worth more.

Stress? Headache? There is nothing stressful about staying in a 2-3 bedroom timeshare that I paid under $300 a week for. The drive is not stressful, in fact I would miss it. It's nice to not be held captive waiting for a bus. Cooking? Not stressful, I don't do it. The kitchen is for heating up leftover restaurant dinners and keeping wine cold.
Stressful is everybody in one room, rushing to share one bathroom, not getting any sleep, waiting for a bus in the heat and having to stay on disney property instead of exploring other worthy places in the area.
I've been going to Disney as an adult since 1976, I think I have a little experience.

I thought the same thing when I read the post you quoted. I've experienced much less stress when I rented a house offsite than any onsite stay. Plenty of space to get ready in the morning, walking into a restaurant for breakfast where I didn't have to make a reservation months in advance, the ten minute drive and ease of parking compared to waiting for a bus and then hoping I get a seat (If I even get a space on that bus and don't have to wait for the next one). Onsite can be relatively stress free, but the planets sure do have to line up a little bit straighter to make it so. Anyone that experiences a lot of stress when staying offsite probably went into it expecting it to be a bad experience.

Stress for me is being trapped by a bus system and staying in a tiny overpriced room. I love to drive and I love space!

All i'm saying is its a matter of opinion what is stressful to you is not stressful to me.I grew up riding buses or trains to get where i needed to go so WDW transportation isn't a big deal to me. If all you know is persona transportation, then i can see it being "uncomfortable'. Three people sleeping in one room with two beds isn't stressful we don't need a ton of room. The majority of our time is in he parks.

The off site and on site debates will always be present. Each family can choose which is best for them. No one can tell others if they are wrong or right since it's such a personal decision for the family. Research goes a long way OP.

That's a good thing about Orlando is that there are so many choices that it makes your head spin. It took me many months to find a place off site. I looked at staying on site but with the prices for my needs in a room, it wasn't worth staying on site. To me I want to go to Disney and I want to save money where I can. I will still be in the Disney magic but not just in a cramped space!

My gang will take the "stress" of a private pool over the very real stress of having to share beds any day. We have 2 girls (16 and 8) and 2 boys (14 and 5). The little two have earlier bedtimes and DD8 is a squirmer. It's a disaster when they have to share--not to mention that DH and I have to sit in bed with booklights while they fall asleep. Although I love to read, it's so much easier all around to put the little two in their room--it's a big deal for them to share, as they don't at home. Close the door and the older folks can relax.

And you know, just because a house has a full kitchen and laundry facilities, doesn't mean you're required to use them. I don't mind simple cooking on vacation--we're talking break and bake cookies or reheating frozen pizza. But, you could eat every meal in a restaurant and STILL save money on a rental--especially when you consider the cost of eating every meal onsite.

But hey--if someone wants to argue that they actually like using the Disney bus system versus driving their own car, I say, enjoy your ride. Odds are, I'll be back in my air-conditioned house long before you spy a bus to take you back to Grand Floridian from AK.

And just for yucks, I pulled out my Passporter for GF prices for 2 rooms (since we have a party of 6, we would need 2), ande 1 night (one!) would cost the same as a week in the 4BR house we rented! That's not pennies in my book, sorry. And yes, even renting enough points for a DVC 2BR villa would be pricier than the weekly house rental.

I don't know why people even fall into the trap of debating this. We all know that what is good for one family may be horrible for another and vice versa. It all boils down to what works best for each family's individual needs. It's a waste of time to get angry or debate this topic.

The off site and on site debates will always be present. Each family can choose which is best for them. No one can tell others if they are wrong or right since it's such a personal decision for the family. Research goes a long way OP.

That's a good thing about Orlando is that there are so many choices that it makes your head spin. It took me many months to find a place off site. I looked at staying on site but with the prices for my needs in a room, it wasn't worth staying on site. To me I want to go to Disney and I want to save money where I can. I will still be in the Disney magic but not just in a cramped space!

Well said. It is a personal choice and it is great that there are so many options for families to choose from.

I prefer to stay on site, but I also prefer to stay in the Epcot area and walk to two of the parks. We like to indulge in several margaritas so driving isn't for us. But I did stay in Key West a year ago and waited an hour for a bus to Epcot--and I said never again to that!

Anyway, we go to Disney and Universal a lot, so many of my friends ask me where to stay, I tell them onsite is better at both, but if it's going to break their bank just go where they can afford it.

Also, we stayed at Bonnet Creek last X-mas because of the golf package. The hotel was great, the course great, but I will say the very nice bus got to be a hassle. Our pickups were in no man's land and we had to keep referring to the schedule, but for the unlimited golf it was worth it.

My gang will take the "stress" of a private pool over the very real stress of having to share beds any day. We have 2 girls (16 and 8) and 2 boys (14 and 5). The little two have earlier bedtimes and DD8 is a squirmer. It's a disaster when they have to share--not to mention that DH and I have to sit in bed with booklights while they fall asleep. Although I love to read, it's so much easier all around to put the little two in their room--it's a big deal for them to share, as they don't at home. Close the door and the older folks can relax.

And you know, just because a house has a full kitchen and laundry facilities, doesn't mean you're required to use them. I don't mind simple cooking on vacation--we're talking break and bake cookies or reheating frozen pizza. But, you could eat every meal in a restaurant and STILL save money on a rental--especially when you consider the cost of eating every meal onsite.

But hey--if someone wants to argue that they actually like using the Disney bus system versus driving their own car, I say, enjoy your ride. Odds are, I'll be back in my air-conditioned house long before you spy a bus to take you back to Grand Floridian from AK.

And just for yucks, I pulled out my Passporter for GF prices for 2 rooms (since we have a party of 6, we would need 2), ande 1 night (one!) would cost the same as a week in the 4BR house we rented! That's not pennies in my book, sorry. And yes, even renting enough points for a DVC 2BR villa would be pricier than the weekly house rental.

True. We like a kitchen simply to freeze bottled water so it stays cold for several hours. The kids like microwave popcorn. They're the 2 big things, besides space & alone time for dh & I, that we miss when we stay onsite.
I prefer to stay on site, but I also prefer to stay in the Epcot area and walk to two of the parks. We like to indulge in several margaritas so driving isn't for us. But I did stay in Key West a year ago and waited an hour for a bus to Epcot--and I said never again to that!

Anyway, we go to Disney and Universal a lot, so many of my friends ask me where to stay, I tell them onsite is better at both, but if it's going to break their bank just go where they can afford it.

Also, we stayed at Bonnet Creek last X-mas because of the golf package. The hotel was great, the course great, but I will say the very nice bus got to be a hassle. Our pickups were in no man's land and we had to keep referring to the schedule, but for the unlimited golf it was worth it.

JMHO, but I would always rent a car if staying off site. Even if a resort offers free park shuttle, I don't want to be confined to someone's schedule.
Car=Freedom! :goodvibes

Well when you're trying to put 7 people in one room yes, of course it may be cramped but as a 3 person family, we no issue. I don't need a private pool, I have one at home. I'm not cooking and if i need water it's free and I can bring a nalgene or camelback to fill.

Isn't just like us Americans though? We always want bigger. Bigger houses, bigger cars bigger meal and look where that has gotten us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter