offsite vs on..not much difference in price?

petunia

DIS Veteran
We have not stayed offsite, but were considering for a shorter last minute vacation, but if my searches are correct Im coming within $200, actually the $200 is cheaper to stay onsite for a 3 park base (no extras/we dont hop nor want waterpark) 5 night stay at a value (first week of July), versus buying the 3 day base from UT, and staying at a moderate offsite ie dolphin/wyndham type $300 per night hotel..am I missing something? I thought it would be much cheaper as we love staying in the bubble and never consider otherwise..

We have not stayed offsite, but were considering for a shorter last minute vacation, but if my searches are correct Im coming within $200, actually the $200 is cheaper to stay onsite for a 3 park base (no extras/we dont hop nor want waterpark) 5 night stay at a value (first week of July), versus buying the 3 day base from UT, and staying at a moderate offsite ie dolphin/wyndham type $300 per night hotel..am I missing something? I thought it would be much cheaper as we love staying in the bubble and never consider otherwise..
It can be cheaper, depending on the type of hotel you choose. You mention a hotel comparable to the Dolphin. Would you consider the Dolphin to be comparable to a value resort? If you price the Dolphin, including all mandatory fees, do you get a similar price difference between it and a value? I would not consider the Dolphin to be a good apples to apples comparison for a value resort. How do the rates compare between your off property choice compare to the actual Dolphin, or to a moderate resort on site? That might be a more fair comparison. I don’t think you will save enough on your UT tickets to offset a room that costs nearly 30-50% more than that of a value.

I think the big difference in saving offsite is that you can sometimes find deals for offsite hotels, or join loyalty programs that help defray the costs. Granted, you get what you pay for, so if you want a $75 per night hotel, you can probably find one. You just might not want to spend the night! If you like staying at a Disney value resort, and it will cost you less, that might be the better choice if you are on a budget.

The dolphin is not comparable to a value resort and it’s not off site. You can actually walk to 2 parks and it’s really nice. It is more comparable to a deluxe resort.

If you want to compare something offsite to a value resort look at a townplace or
Spring Hill suites.

Just be very careful with the extras at the off-site hotels. They don't always include them in the pricing. For example, the Swan and Dolphin have a $40 + tax per day, resort service package fee plus an additional $32 + tax per day, parking fee. You may also have to pay $25 for parking each day at the parks unless you're staying at a Disney hotel or the Swan and Dolphin. Disney has no resort fee or parking fees now so the room price with tax is all you pay.

I always just do a VRBO. Get a whole villa with private backyard swimming pool for a fraction of staying on site. Only about 10 minutes drive away.

We have done many onsite and off site stays. Now, offsite can cost as much as onsite. We needed a room for 2 nights in January. There were no onsite rooms available those nights (well, there were but over $600/night, so no!) we ended up staying at the Fairfield on Apopka Vineland....which is just down the street from the old Cross Roads location. It was fine for what we needed but it was a little run down and the cost was $200/night but no parking fee. Other options on Palm Pkwy were similar priced plus parking....some also charge resort fees.

I'm going to WDW in May and we are staying at ASMu there was a room discount available and it was around $160/night I think but you don't pay a resort fee or for parking and if you have a car and opt to drive to the parks you don't pay to park there either.

We've done both, and are even seriously considering BUYING a condo near Disney to rent out. That being said, we prefer to be on site. You just cannot beat the convenience. We've stayed at Values, Moderates, and Deluxes. I will still choose on site every time.

We have done many onsite and off site stays. Now, offsite can cost as much as onsite. We needed a room for 2 nights in January. There were no onsite rooms available those nights (well, there were but over $600/night, so no!) we ended up staying at the Fairfield on Apopka Vineland....which is just down the street from the old Cross Roads location. It was fine for what we needed but it was a little run down and the cost was $200/night but no parking fee. Other options on Palm Pkwy were similar priced plus parking....some also charge resort fees.

I'm going to WDW in May and we are staying at ASMu there was a room discount available and it was around $160/night I think but you don't pay a resort fee or for parking and if you have a car and opt to drive to the parks you don't pay to park there either.
You bring up a good point, where you shouldn't just be looking straight at the room rate, but also all the additional fees that get charged on top of that. And I think looking at the travel review websites for guest photos and informative reviews (i.e. 2-4 star reviews - skip the 1 and 5 star ones) can really help.

But at the end of the day, it's all about if you're comfortable and happy with what you booked. Doesn't really matter what anyone else's opinion is, as long as you're good with your choice.

It depends what you are looking for. We like 2 bed/2 bath with a kitchen. Offsite prices for this type of room (eg. Sheraton Vistana Resort Villas) is much cheaper than getting an equivalent onsite room. I just checked for the first week of July. I could get 5 nights at Sheraton Vistana Resort Villas (with free resort parking) + 3 day base tickets at UT for $3400 USD. A 2 bedroom Villa at Old Key West for the same dates/park tickets is $7200 USD.

It depends what you are looking for. We like 2 bed/2 bath with a kitchen. Offsite prices for this type of room (eg. Sheraton Vistana Resort Villas) is much cheaper than getting an equivalent onsite room. I just checked for the first week of July. I could get 5 nights at Sheraton Vistana Resort Villas (with free resort parking) + 3 day base tickets at UT for $3400 USD. A 2 bedroom Villa at Old Key West for the same dates/park tickets is $7200 USD.
OH FOR SURE. If you want a full kitchen and two bedrooms, the value of stay off site just cannot be beat. No contest. We usually rent studios at Board Walk Villas or Beach Club Villas because we're Epcot people. Were good with the partial kitchen that gives us breakfast capabilities.

We are big fans of Windsor Hills Resort and have booked vacation rentals both direct on their website and through VRBO. It is an easy 10min drive from WDW. For separate rooms, a private pool, and a full kitchen we haven't found anything more economical even when including the price of a rental car and parking. Highly recommend!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter