• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Oggie Boogie Bash 2024 First Time DCA Visitor

RRosenwald

Earning My Ears
We are looking at going to the Disneyland Resort late October for the first time and our focus really is on mainly the rides. I know the parks are busy during this time of year. We only have two days to explore DCA and Disneyland. We are looking at one full day at Disneyland and then potentially one full evening/night at DCA at Oogie Boogie assuming I can obtain two tickets when it goes on sale (will be on it as soon as it goes public - even though I know that will still be a challenge).

Would you say doing the after hours ticket event is worth it for a first timer to DCA in order to try and get on most rides? We would likely stay on property that day (Thursday assuming), enjoy the pool and amenities, and then do the park in the PM. Is this a good strategy for two adults going to the park for the first time on limited time and resources that want to get the most done with minimal wait times on rides? We're not interested in the meet-and-greets and stuff - just the rides and getting on them without major waits assuming the rides would be dead for OBB. Or would you not recommend on going to OBB with the goal of getting on rides and just go on a regular operating day? I think we might enjoy getting to the Anaheim area without rush, enjoy the hotel pool/downtown Disney area, and then go to OBB in the PM. We would do Disneyland the following day (Friday).

Just my opinion, but based on the cost of tickets last year to the Bash, I think you would be better off paying out-of-pocket for LL for some rides and adding Genie+. Bash tickets are expensive and, as you stated, difficult to get. I don't think you will have any issue with hitting the rides you want at DCA during the day, especially if you are OK with purchasing Genie+ and paying for some LL's. If you're not interested in the offerings during the Bash, I don't think you're getting as much bang for your buck. I'll also add, it was pretty crowded at the Bash last year - not sure if that was a result of the ticketing disaster and they accidentally oversold or if they just decided to up the capacity to make more $$, but it wasn't as easy to just walk onto rides during the Bash as it had been in the past.

Also, you don't mention where you are staying (The Grand, Disneyland Hotel, or Pixar Pier) but you may want to consider doing DCA during the day and pool/DT Disney in the evening. The atmosphere at the various Disney pools at night is REALLY nice and it never seems as busy as it does in the afternoons (probably because a lot of people go back into the parks at night). I regretted not taking an evening to spend at the pool last year when we stayed at The Grand since it just looked so dreamy at night. If staying at Pixar Pier hotel, you may even get firework views from the pool!

Just my opinion, I think you would do better just spending regular day at CA on a non-OBB day. There aren’t that many “adult”rides, you certainly should be able to do them all in a full day. One corner of park is kiddie rides like the jellyfish ride. I think RS is the only ILL but if you are willing to do single rider, you should be able to ride fairly quickly. If it’s a must do for the photo together, I would just budget for that. But especially if buy Genie+, you should be able to ride everything there. In truth, it’s like a half day park for most.

While there might be shorter lines for rides at OBB, there were be masses of humanity milling about through the park, making it harder to get around. I say rope drop, do your faves, and then take time to explore. Don’t miss “Sh-Boom” at CarsLand at dusk. Ride RSR at night if you can.

Our family’s first trip to DCA was for the Oogie Boogie party and we went mainly for the rides since my kids weren't too interested in characters. We had a blast and got on everything we wanted to ride multiple times. We did some treat trails as the park closed to wait until ride lines cleared. Then, put candy bags in lockers and nonstop rides the rest of the night. It was great. Also, nice to just enjoy the resort in the morning instead of battling rope drop. I will say the line for Racers was still pretty long during OBB so we only rode it once. If that’s the one ride you want, may just be best to buy LL.

If you aren't interested in meet & greets, the parade or the treat trails, then I would not bother with OBB. If you're interested in some of that AND the rides, well, then consider it.

The ride lines are definitely shorter, but it's still a short party. If you only care about rides, you'd be better off to go during the day, take a more relaxed approach and perhaps spring for G+ & ILL and just enjoy the park as is. As others have said, DCA isn't really a full day park, especially with two adults and no kids. I usually go at rope drop, where you can quickly get through some of the bigger rides or rides that aren't on G+ and then spend the rest of the afternoon eating and doing anything else I didn't hit in the morning. The park is BEAUTIFUL at night, but unless I'm staying for WOC, I'm usually out of there reasonably early.

Our family’s first trip to DCA was for the Oogie Boogie party and we went mainly for the rides since my kids weren't too interested in characters. We had a blast and got on everything we wanted to ride multiple times. We did some treat trails as the park closed to wait until ride lines cleared. Then, put candy bags in lockers and nonstop rides the rest of the night. It was great. Also, nice to just enjoy the resort in the morning instead of battling rope drop. I will say the line for Racers was still pretty long during OBB so we only rode it once. If that’s the one ride you want, may just be best to buy LL.

When did you guys do OBB? Was it last year or before that? We did it in late October 2022 and had a very similar (fantastic) experience as yours. Hit some treat trails, Villains Grove, parade, then a bunch of the big rides with very short lines. As Meeshy mentioned it sounded like last year (2023) was much busier and there were less reports of short lines, so not sure if that was a one-off or if they are packing in more people than in years previous.

When did you guys do OBB? Was it last year or before that? We did it in late October 2022 and had a very similar (fantastic) experience as yours. Hit some treat trails, Villains Grove, parade, then a bunch of the big rides with very short lines. As Meeshy mentioned it sounded like last year (2023) was much busier and there were less reports of short lines, so not sure if that was a one-off or if they are packing in more people than in years previous.
We went October 2022, so maybe the experience is now different. However, I’m not sure we will go to Disneyland in October again unless we have OBB tickets. The crowds were a little too much for us outside of OBB. It was so nice not having to constantly monitor our phones for Genie ride availability. I liked being more connected to my kids and spontaneous moments in the park during OBB rather than the other park days that felt like I had to be hyperorganized in order to get everyone the rides they wanted.

We went October 2022, so maybe the experience is now different. However, I’m not sure we will go to Disneyland in October again unless we have OBB tickets. The crowds were a little too much for us outside of OBB. It was so nice not having to constantly monitor our phones for Genie ride availability. I liked being more connected to my kids and spontaneous moments in the park during OBB rather than the other park days that felt like I had to be hyperorganized in order to get everyone the rides they wanted.

That is exactly how we felt. OBB was great, but otherwise it was absolutely insane with people. We left early in the afternoon on our last day because it was just too packed to be any fun. Vowed to never again go in October. Contrast that with a 1 day visit we did a month ago (12/13/23) and we had a wonderful time. Such a different experience from the October trip.

Not sure if any of this helps the OP, but just be aware October will be a madhouse!!!

I did OBB last year and didn't enjoy it.
Now, I know you said you weren't going for the Halloween stuff and mainly the rides, but the rides still had long waits.

If it was me, I'd just get Genie+ (even though I hate it) and some ILL, you'll pay less than the cost of OBB tickets, and if you're not doing the OBB stuff the cost isn't worth it.

The park was overcrowded and hectic during the party, in fact, I can't see myself ever going back this time of year again (and I've always gone in September before)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter