Oh how I miss the good old Disney Days of no Apps, Magic Bands, etc.

jpmom

Always Disney Bound!
DVC Gold
The only thing over the past 20 years that wowed me was the invention of Fast Passes. Besides that, I do not like the way things are. I've been to Disney only once since the Magic Bands, It was not my thing. I have DVC, so I'll wait til I have grandkids to go again.

Anyone else shifted your Disney trips because of the changes? I don't enjoy the inflexibility of the system.

Last edited:
G+ is actually similar to the original FP system except you don't have to run to the machine, you do it on your phone.

The only thing over the past 20 years that wowed me was the invention of Fast Passes. Besides that, I do not like the way things are. I've been to Disney only once since the Magic Bands, It was not my thing. I have DVC, so I'll wait til I have grandkids to go again.

Anyone else shifted your Disney trips because of the changes? I despise the inflexibility of the system.
No, I really cannot say that Magic Bands have kept me from returning to WDW.

MagicBands have always been 100% optional. They're just a park ticket/room key that you wear on your wrist. If you prefer a park ticket/room key that you keep in your wallet, that option has never stopped being available to you.

Nope, I love the MBs but it is possible to go without them, my DIL did on our trip in Sept. You don't really have to use most of the tech. I don't use Genie+ and have only mobile ordered once, in all fairness, we rarely eat QS. I do book ADRs on the app and do look at the tip board for wait times sometimes, most of the time I just go to the ride and sort of wing it. I don't book ADRs in advance, just day of, I'm not sure because I haven't tried it but I think you can still go to GS in the parks and get them to book ADRs for you if you don't want to use the app. That might be the only thing I kind of miss. It was always fun to go in the one in Epcot and say find me somewhere to eat, doesn't matter where and the time isn't real important. If it wasn't busy (back then it rarely was) the CMs would kind of have a competition to see who could find the best place to eat.

As far as flexibility, as I said, I don't use Genie+, don't book ADRs in advance so I'm totally flexible about where and when I eat, the only thing I do in advance is book a room, buy tickets (right now I have an AP) and book my park reservation. I don't really do any planning for park reservation, it's usually based on where I'm staying. If I'm doing a split stay and staying in a WDW resort the first part then moving to Swan/Dolphin, I'll book MK and AK on those first days just because the Disney buses to MK drop you off at the park and the Swan/Dolphin drop you off at the TTC. Otherwise, I just randomly pick days for park reservations because I know I'm going to hop. Sometimes I get up early for sort of rope drop, sometimes I don't bother. The only thing I miss is the freedom to decide my park the day of instead of having to have reservations but I work with it.

For me, it really comes down to the flexibility of what park I want to go to on what days.

I don't want to choose 6 months in advance - we always like to keep things open ended.

Trust me, I love my cell phone! What would we do without them... I guess it's just the sign of the times - seeing everyones faces in their phones looking at the Disney App.

I use the Disney app a lot, but more for just navigating around the parks e.g. where is X and how do I get there?
Also the map is good to see nearby wait times at a glance.

We like the app, seeing wait times and mobile order. And we love the magic bands! Picking them out and getting them in the mail is such fun! I leave the magic band box out on display and look at those magic bands while waiting for our trip to start and it just brings a smile to my heart! Never tried the g+ tho. That I’m not so sure about…

I guess it's just the sign of the times - seeing everyone's faces in their phones looking at the Disney App.
A generation ago...... "sign of the times, seeing everyone's faces looking at that darn computer."
2 generations ago..." sign of the times, seeing everyone listening to that darn rock and roll music."
3 generations ago.... sign of the times, seeing everyone watching that darn TV."
4 generations ago " sign of the times, seeing everyone dancing to that darn boogie woogie."
👩‍🦳 :)

Most of the things people complain about with any of the new tech involve not having to wait is as long of a line to do something at an amusement park.

I have to get up at 7AM!! No, you don't. you'll just to wait longer in a line.
There's no availability for the times I want to ride something. Yes there is, you just have to wait in a line.
I hate the mobile ordering app. Ok, wait in line and get your food.

From a philosophical perspective I prefer to do any and all things free and clear of distraction as much as possible. Give yourself to one thing at one time. However with the thousands of variables, kids, changes, and the way in which we interact with the world, cell phones at Disney and the technology associated with it have become integral.

When I go to the parks with just my significant other we don't even bring phones to the park. Simply just walk around, enjoy the beauty, and catch whatever attraction strikes our fancy. Disney can be a noisy and busy place but we all the the ability to reduce the background noise and focus on any number of the magical aspects that Chepak has not yet figured out how to monetize.

It has definitely not changed anything for my family. I love all the technology advancements, huge fan of mobile order.
At first I was like, what do you mean I can't go up to the cash register and order... but it's actually more convenient to order by phone. I don't have to stand in a line or even be nearby, and they text me when it's ready. It's like doing a Doordash or Uber Eats order for pickup.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter