• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Oh my god, this happened to me.

disneefamily

DIS Veteran
Disnee Dad Says.........................................I don't expect any posts, but I need to talk to someone without actually talking to some one.

On Monday I went fishing with my friend and his two kids. As we were heading back to his slip, we saw a body float by. Just seconds before that we heard screaming from a boat half a mile up the river, but couldn't figure it out. The second we saw the body, the words suddenly came very clear. My daddy, daddy daddy.

We called 911 right away as we had 3 cell phones. The person who took my friends call, seemed to take hours, though it was probably a couple minutes to figure out where the body was even though he gave exact answers.

Then help shows up on the wrong side of the river. We fly over there and pick up an EMT, and fly back to the body. He's about to jump in when he says, the current is too fast, try to pull along side and we'll pull him in. "We?" He grabs hold of the guys arms, and strougles to lift him. Then I understood what we meant, grabbed the guy by the belt and helped a little in lifting him into my friends boat.

All this time the little girl of 5 or so is still in that boat up river. With the motor running it up stream. We get the man to Clarksburg Marina, and head out to the girl.

As we get close, someone is pulling the girl out of the boat, so she is safe.

The haunting part is the guy died at the hospital. As we made calls and tracked the body, we had a chance to save him.

I think I just should have jumped in and did something, but when the EMT decided not to jump in, maybe I was smart not to.

At least the girl is safe. If we wern't there the boat would have just gone up the river till it crashed into something.

I had to miss work Tuesday, just couldn't do it. But Wednesday was almost ok. I can't believe I blew this off in less than 48 hours, but then as I post this I know I have not simply forgotten.

As we secured the boat and were leaving, the EMT called us over with a bull horn, he wanted to tell us how well we did, and that we really were the key to the operation.

When the guy died, I feel we did nothing.

Thanks for letting me talk to someone.

{{{{HUGS}}}}

I am speechless. I am sorry that this all happened and that you were smack dab in the middle of it. I wouldn't second guess what you did, you did the best you could at the time.

Oh my goodness...how traumatic! You did all you could. If the EMT didn't jump in then it probably was best that you didn't either. I'm sorry you had to witness such an event. Your actions likely saved the little girl.

I second and third those thoughts, Disnee Dad, you did what you knew at the time to be the BEST to do! I surely wouldn't want TWO dads perishing!

You DID do something and, You made a difference! No matter how insignificant that sounds to you right now, YOU were there and, you did what you did! You should be proud but, I hear your pain and, I hope you can move past that. :(

You deserve a Ton of Credit and, {{HUGS}}!!

Kim

That is unbelievable! You did everything you could. Don't second guess yourself. It is very sad that the man died BUT the little girl is alive. You should be proud of yourself for doing all you did.

All I can say is how heartbreaking!!! It sounds like you did the right things. P & PD for you and the family...how sad :(

Disnee Dad,

I know typing this out had to be incredibly difficult. You have absolutely suffered a trauma. A big one. You should KEEP talking. Of course you have not blown this off, you are just trying to get through your days. I know we have a poster who is a firefighter/EMT (fireplug) who you could PM. My DH also suffered something similar about 2 years ago, and I would be more than happy to have you PM me as well, to let you know how we dealt with it.

I am so thankful you guys were there, not only to help get that little girl safe, and to make certain the man was found, so as horrible as it is, the family has closure.

{{{{{hugs}}}}}} to you.

Debbie

So sorry DisneyDad. I agree with everyone else. It's a good thing that you left this out, and not kept your feelings bottled up. I'm glad the little girl is okay. You and your buddies did what you knew to be right at the time, and that is all that you need to tell yourself. Take care, day by day.

I can understand the feeling of not doing enough. Try not to do it though. By not taking the risk, you just might have saved your kids' dad's life.
You hear all the time about people who take dangerous risks and end up needing rescued themselves, sometimes not making it. You did good. That little girl gets to wake up another day. She'll be heartbroken, but thanks to you, she's alive.

I would be second guessing myself too, but what good does it do now. You did everything you could at the time, and you saved a little girl's life.

What a terrible experience. You did your best to help out in a really tough situation. You were not trained to go into the water and rescue the man. The EMT who had the training made the decision to not go into the water. You also made the right decision.

You and your friend did do something. You saved a little girl who was already tramatized from an even more tramatic event. Without your help, who knows what would have happened to her.

I will keep you in my prayers.

DisneeDad,
You did what you should have. Please don't feel bad. Sometimes you can't save a person no matter what is done. Sad. At least the child is ok. If you hadn't been there maybe that wouldn't even be true.

(((hugs)))

I'm so sorry you had to go through this and I know you will never forget. But don't second guess yourself, you did what you could under extreme circumstances.

OMG -

{{{hugs}}} to you.

No, you probably won't be the same after this - I can't imagine how one would be. You did the best you could with a horrible situation.

We are all here if you need to talk more.

Tamie

What an awful experience!!!

I feel so bad for that poor man and his family.....:(

DisneeDad - I wouldn't kick yourself too hard over not jumping in. Bad as it is, one body floating in the river is more than enough......

{{{Hugs}}}

You did do something great. You saved a little girl, and you kept yourself here to take care of your own family. It could have been much more tragic if something had happened to you while trying to rescue him.

How awful.:( {{hugs}} Please don't beat yourself up about it.:( If you had been able to jump in and help him, I bet you wouldn't have known the rescue procedures needed and you and your friends wouldn't be here.

I'm so sorry to hear about this, Disnee Dad, and I'm sorry that you had to experience it. :(

What an experience, Wow. I'm sure this is something you will never forget. Hopefully, in time, you can remember the good you did and not focus on something that couldn't be helped. You were there for a reason and helped that little girl. How sad.

((Hugs))

But it makes me so sad(mad) that a Dad would fish with a little child without wearing his lifejacket.Unless we are in a complete standstill, we always wear ours.

I used to be a CPR/First Aid instructor. We told people all the time that the FIRST thing you should do in any accident is to make sure the scene is safe. I don't believe it would have been and you could have become another casualty.
I'm so sorry you had to be a part of it. As bad as I feel for the little girl and the family of the man I'm glad you are still alive to be with yours. You did do the best you could under the circumstances. I wish I had some magic words to take away your pain.
And I'd like to remind everyone to WEAR A LIFE JACKET!!:(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter