Oh nooo!! Love Bugs are back.

They aren't as bad when you're on a regular road, its a massacre on the turnpike.
If your heading to a cruise, I would stop and run it through a car wash to get them off after you get off the highway.

Our very first cruise, EBTA, they were out in full force. Once on board we were asked to stay indoors until we had left the port and the crew had time to spray down the outdoor areas. They delayed sail away party until the next day when we left CC. If I was one of the people checking ID at the gate I would have quit those poor people were covered!

I am wondering if Hurricane Michael messed up their patterns this year, as knock on wood, we haven't seen many here in the Big Bend/Panhandle area yet.

That's very possible. This is the worst I've seen in at least 5 years with them swarming everywhere, especially in the city. Typically you only see them/smash them with your car on state roads, interstate, etc.

some hints

car wash places near the port: https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=carwash&find_loc=Cape+Canaveral,+FL+32920

after wash, drive to the port keeping speed under 50 ... IME if I keep my speed under 45 the air flow deflects the LB over the car and I get no SPLAT. Drove 50 miles today this way and had precisely ONE LB splat on the car

a spray down of PAM on the front surfaces helps the LB wash off easier

a car freak trick for expensive cars occasionally 'tracked' is to get wide masking tape and cover leading surfaces .... this prevents rock chips and LB on the paint. Looks WEIRD but it works.

LB counts can differ by area as the amount of RAIN the area got is a big factor. Early May and early Sept are the usual times plus minus a couple of weeks either side. Not something you can set your watch by tho . . . a good rain can knock 'em down for a while ... or a good stiff breeze.

Are they only around large bodies of water or are in all parts of Florida? Wondering if WDW has them also, we have friends going to WDW at the end of the week. Wondering if I should warn them or not.

WDW was FULL of them last week. My 4 year old is afraid of insects and it made things challenging at times.

Not to worry, they are there for a remake of Herbie, the love bug...remember him??

They now seem to be dissipating somewhat here in Central Fla - I think I only hit a couple of them this morning on the highway on my way to work:rotfl2:

They now seem to be dissipating somewhat here in Central Fla - I think I only hit a couple of them this morning on the highway on my way to work:rotfl2:
Well, that's some good news. My wife talked me into springing for a convertible this vacation....and we fly down tomorrow.

Well, that's some good news. My wife talked me into springing for a convertible this vacation....and we fly down tomorrow.

Well, I can't say they're completely gone, and I live an hour south of WDW so your situation may vary, but it's definitely not as bad as it has been. Have a great visit!

If I remember right, it is late August, early September so your friend should be in luck! We always used to go to Florida in late August, which means we were out of luck.

They come back! We will be there mid-August. How bad will it be? I don’t remember these being an issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter