• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

'Ohana at the Polynesian reopening on July 9th

After thinking about it, I think we'll skip Ohana. I was really excited, but I really can't get over the chicken and shrimp changes. They haven't even announced a price.

All I need is some bread pudding and I can get that elsewhere.

I'm wondering if part of the changes is to cut down on chef staff needed - you can make fried rice by the ton at once and it "holds" better than noodles (where you need to do to order)...and shrimp can easily be overcooked on skewers, but you toss them in a preprepped casserole in the morning and you just toss a dish in the oven per order at a set time...anyone can set a timer on a predone dish (I'll bet now that the "casserole" will not be adaptable)...

So, it's not just cheapening the ingredients (although it is) - it's also cheapening the staff needed - less expertise needed in the chef line overall...
Wait, if they are going to charge ~$50pp for dinner, I think they need to hire people who are capable of cooking skewered meats and fish. And noodles also! They're not building a rocketship or trying to cure some disease!

After thinking about it, I think we'll skip Ohana. I was really excited, but I really can't get over the chicken and shrimp changes. They haven't even announced a price.

All I need is some bread pudding and I can get that elsewhere.

Price is listed as $35-$59.99

I told DH I can mobile order the noodles/veggies from CCooks and bring them up! 🤣 They’re not exactly the same but will do in a pinch! 😋

I haven’t spoke to anyone yet who is the least bit excited about this new (and certainly not improved) menu.

Not happy with the rice change but the 'shrimp casserole' really frosts me. And don't talk to me about 'kielbasa'. That's what my Polish relatives served every time I went to visit. It's ok but I don't think it has a Polynesian vibe :crazy2: and I am not going to 'Ohana to get kielbasa. Who ok'd this menu?
For a more authentic Polynesian "vibe," they could replace the Kielbasa with SPAM. But I'm not sure if that would truly be better.

For a more authentic Polynesian "vibe," they could replace the Kielbasa with SPAM. But I'm not sure if that would truly be better.
Maybe that's what they were going for :laughing: Someone at the meeting said, 'hey, what about Spam" and the guy next to him, eating his pizza, said, "wait, we are serving kielbasa at GG and xyz restaurants already, it's almost the same!" And then pizza guy got a raise.

Just noticed that too !!! The pineapple-coconut bread only for bfast--- Scones and cheddar bacon biscuits for dinner---
WHY !!!!!???? WHY !!!!???? Wasnt the skewer removal enough torture !!!??? :))
On a serious note--- Cheddar Bacon biscuits? Um.... that fits how ? Its Red Lobster-esque

Could it be a typo in the menus? Doesn't it make more sense to have scones and biscuits with breakfast and the pineapple-coconut bread for dinner?

I was really looking forward to returning but with:

No skewers with grilled steak and chicken (roasted chicken and beef with teriyaki sauce doesn't = grilled meats)
No grilled shrimp (cheap little salad shrimpies in bread crumbs and who knows what--:sad1:)
No noodles
No steamed/stir fried veggies (broccolini alone doesn't cut it for me)
No pineapple/coconut bread (provided that isn't a typo)

Not even wasting my time.

Maybe that's what they were going for :laughing: Someone at the meeting said, 'hey, what about Spam" and the guy next to him, eating his pizza, said, "wait, we are serving kielbasa at GG and xyz restaurants already, it's almost the same!" And then pizza guy got a raise.

I'd laugh, but I'm about 99% certain that's exactly what happened...

That casserole looks horrid in the picture. Probably something premade and frozen with 1/2 long shrimp.

We will go to Tambu lounge and have pot stickers and break pudding as an evening snack after nachos at Captain Cook's.
This⬆️
Capt. Cook’s Pulled pork nachos, Yum, Or Coconut Thai meatballs Yum

I can’t get over the roasted chicken 🤷‍♀️ that’s like rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. I know my hubby will miss the shrimp and we all will miss the noodles and stirfry 💔😩

It's funny. O'hana was the one restaurant I was sure they wouldn't mess with and ruin with unneeded changes.

There goes another trusting Disney moment in my mind erased

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter