O'hana, Boma, or Concourse Steakhouse?

roserae

Mouseketeer
We will be arriving on a Friday and would like to go to one of these three restaurants that evening. It will be me, dh, dd (almost 3 then) and my friend and her ds (7), who has Down syndrome. My friend and her son have never been to WDW, so we want to wow them the whole trip. (shouldn't be too difficult) Which of these would be best?

We've been to Boma and LOVE it! But have never been to Concourse or O'hanas. My dh is concerned about O'hanas because you can see the fireworks from there and (do they pipe in music?) he doesn't want to spoil it for my friend and her son before we are actually in the park to see it. (I know, he is a bit anal about these things..lol). I just love Boma, so I would like to go there! But we thought the kids might like Concourse because of the monorail. I'm assuming you can see it from the restaurant? I hear O'hanas is excellent though and have been wanting to try it for some time. Anyway to NOT see the fireworks while there? (in all likelyhood we won't even be there late enough to see fireworks, but just in case :rolleyes: )

Friends's son will not be eating...he's very picky about food and only eats hotdogs and sausage biscuits! Dd is a normal, picky 2 year old, but she will just have to deal with it. What are your suggestions?

My suggestion is that you go to Chef Mickeys which is next to the Concourse Steakhouse. THe kids will have a great time with the characters and the food is pretty good.

I would also suggest skipping Concourse. It isn't that special, especially for the first meal. If you want them to see the monorail, defintately go for Chef Mickey's instead. Whispering Canyon is also fun for the kids.

Concourse Steakhouse is good for a no-fuss meal - I particularly enjoy it for lunch, when it's pretty quiet - but it's by no means special or distinguished. Much better food is available a monorail ride away. If it's great food you want, then Boma is superior.

On the other hand if you want to get into the Disney spirit there's always Chef's Mickey's, next door to the Concourse Steakhouse. It can be loud and far from relaxing, but your kids will enjoy it.

'Ohanas (note the spelling and apostrophe; like you I once thought it was Irish not Polynesian :) ) is a fine choice for dinner. It's also loud, but fun.

Originally posted by sotoalf
'Ohanas (note the spelling and apostrophe; like you I once thought it was Irish not Polynesian :) ) is a fine choice for dinner. It's also loud, but fun.

LOL, thank you! I never thought it was Irish, I was just too lazy to look up how it was spelled and I knew there was a ' in there somewhere!

What about fireworks at 'Ohanas? My dh doesn't want to slip and see them before we get to the park later in the week.

Also, we've been to Chef Mickey's. Want to avoid a character meal that first night. Long day of travel, so want to keep the stimulus to a minimum for the kids....same goes for Whispering Canyon (though I love that place too!)

Concourse is probably my last choice and my dh's 1st choice. We are trying to try all the restaurants at least once, hence our choices between 'Ohanas and Concourse, and, well, I just love Boma's so we'll make it there one night anyway, I'm sure.

I agree. Concourse is nice, but not "special".:earsboy:

roserae,

I definitely think you should go to 'Ohana's! They have fabulous kid's games - the coconut races and the hula hoop contest. The food is to die for! You can tell your server how you want your steak cooked and they will do it (most people don't know that). You can also request a table where you can not see the fireworks, I'm sure you will have NO problem getting that table!

BTW- you were blessed, your daughter is gorgeous:D :wave2: :teeth:

Originally posted by tiggersmom2
BTW- you were blessed, your daughter is gorgeous:D :wave2: :teeth:

Thank you! We are blessed...she is a sweetheart too!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It is so hard to decide! Fortunately, we have some time. Now we are considering Chef Mickey's. We've only been there for breakfast, not dinner and we are thinking this may be a good way for friend's son to for sure meet the characters and then maybe it won't be such a big deal the next day at the parks. It will be interesting...I think he is going to LOVE the characters...but maybe too much. He cried at our local minor league baseball game when the mascot left... and he's not even a baseball fan. Not sure what he's going to do with seeing characters he's in awe of and then they leave. (remember he has Down syndrome). Anyway, thanks for your suggestions!

We have never had breakfast at Chef Mickeys, but we go for dinner every year! It is just wonderful!!! We have a ps for Chef Mickeys and also for Ohanas. We have never tried it, but I have only read good things! We cannot wait!!! I really don't think that you could go wrong with either choice.

I liked the Concourse steakhouse when we went. The food was really good! If you are looking for "magic", then this is not a good choice. I hope this helps!

Carol

I think it may be like an "appetizer" for the fireworks if you see them from 'Ohanas. I LOVE seeing the fireworks from the California Grill, but there's still something special about seeing them from in the park--and seeing them twice in a trip would not be boring for the kids (at least, not for my kids, who can watch the same video endless times!) or an adult who feels a little of the *magic*.

Have a great trip--how special to share it with "newbies!"

Well, we love Concourse Steakhouse. We prefer it over Artist Point. The food is very good & plentyful. If you don't like something on the menu, they will alter it to suit your tastes. We also never felt rushed.

You can see the monorail. It keeps our dd occupied during dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter