Ohana Breakfast - Horrible

I’m literally a stranger to everyone on these boards. I’m also not important enough for anyone to change their mind about having breakfast at Ohana. I just wanted to bring awareness to the fact that what we experienced last week was downright awful compared to prior experiences. Cheers.

We've done breakfast at Ohana, and it was fine. Nothing exciting though. The characters and atmosphere were good. But, I tend not to do breakfast buffets because it's really not high quality food for the price. I much prefer Ohana for dinner. The food has always been excellent for us, and it's a bit different than the standard fare. Dinner is a must do for us on our trips.

I didn't want to start a new topic, but I'm resurrecting this one in the hopes that someone will read my warning and avoid 'Ohana at all costs. We ate at 'Ohana in 2010 on a family vacation, and it was fantastic. The potatoes were crisp and well-seasoned. The bacon was crisp, thick, and flavorful. The Mickey waffles were crisp on the outside, and light and fluffy on the inside. The service was fantastic, the waiter interacted with my children, catered to our every need. The characters were great - goofed around, took pictures, signed, smiles, visited multiple times. All reasons we booked again for our trip last week. After our experience, we will never go again.

The picture thing didn't bother me, but didn't they use to put lei on you when taking your photo? Would have been nice to fit in with Stitch. Our hostess grabbed one plate of welcome bread for 7 people - I had to ask her to grab another. After being seated, we were given watered down juice (everyone agreed it just didn't taste right, but I guess watering it down makes it more healthy?). Our first platter of food came out quickly, but the eggs were extremely watery - like, dripping off the spoon watery. I asked for new eggs, and they brought a whole new platter of food out - this time with chunky eggs that were extremely overcooked, and mickey waffles who's faces were ripped off, probably left behind in the waffle iron. The potatoes were soggy and had no seasoning. The sausage was overcooked to the point it was crunchy. The ham was okay, but where did the bacon go? Cheap substitution, but higher price. It's a shame. There was one small cup of syrup to share between seven people at the table, and the second platter of food had no syrup on it. When I finally did flag down the waitress, I asked for more syrup and she said it'd be right out. 20 minutes later, I flag her down again, and ask again for the syrup, and she assures me the kitchen is backed up and it's on it's way out. I guess they tap their maple trees out back fresh. 5 minutes later, a server brings a platter of food to our table with - you guessed it - no syrup. At this point, I ask him, can I please just have some syrup, it's been almost 30 minutes since I've buttered this now-cold waffle. No point in replacing it, because the waffles that came out on the new platter were also cold. He brought syrup - finally, but at that point, I was just tapped out.

Character-wise, Lilo arrived right when we were sitting down, and you could tell the character really wanted to get it over with, and not have to come back later, because I asked the character to come back, because we were still sitting down, getting unpacked, loading the little one into the high chair, and Lilo just stood there awkwardly. Once we realized this, Lilo high fived by 7 and 11 year old, posed for a quick photo, and left - completely ignoring my 1 year old that was seated right next to the other kiddos. I'm glad he didn't know what was going on. I asked a waiter for Lilo to come back and at least acknowledge my third child so I could get a photo. The other interactions were good.

I wouldn't say the service was bad, but it was underwhelming. Unfortunately, I had the rare experience where the server clearly saw 6+ automatic tip and thought she didn't have to try real hard, which is a disservice to all the good servers in the parks and resorts. I plan on contacting customer service, or a manager, or something, as this horrific ordeal took upwards of 90 minutes, and we were already late to our fast passes at the park.

By no means am I a picky person - I'll eat anything you put in front of me, happily! But this was so incredibly un-Disney, un-magical, and subpar, I have to speak up. Never, ever, again.

if you don't want to complain to make them think you want a freebie, then complain at the guest services desk, tell them you are not going back and why. Whatever they offer you, tell them you won't be going back to that restaurant.

People write letters and emails but tend to make them too long. If you're sending a letter or email, short and sweet is better

I'm really sorry your breakfast at 'Ohana was so bad. We went about five years ago and loved it. We went this past August (8:30 a.m. seating) and loved it. Food was good (I was worried about the food after my below average experience at Garden Grill breakfast the year before), wait staff was quick and brought additional items very quickly when asked. Best of all, the characters were great...my oldest son (age 12) asked Mickey to play rock/paper/scissors with him when Mickey visited our table, but the parade was about to start. Mickey used hand gestures to explain that he had to go, and my son was fine with it. But then as soon as the parade was over, Mickey came back, tapped my son on his shoulder and indicated he was ready to play. It was really an amazing morning for us, and it makes me sad that others don't get that same experience.

How is dinner there? We have our first reservation there soon so now I’m worried. Is the food good and is it fun for kids?
Dinner is a must do for us every trip. I haven't been there since 2014 and really looking forward to it. You'll find mixed reviews on dinner as well, but most of those are 1) slow service (yup, can be slow, they may do this purposely since it's all you can eat - slower service less food intake) and 2) meat that isn't cooked the way someone wanted (you can ask your server for meat cooked how you want it, don't be shy)

I am always hearing its not just the food your paying for the experience (ie the characters) so I have a couple of simple rules if the characters don't sign (signature cards) or I have to meet the one I want outside the restaurant I don't go. This does bother me because Ohana's breakfast used to be one of our must do's. I had the best treatment I have ever had at a WDW restaurant there. One our 2nd trip I was sitting there, not eating and the waitress asked me what was wrong. I informed her I was Jewish and practicing and I could not eat anything since bacon was on the platter. I told her I understood I had to still pay for it and I was fine with that because of the characters. She went back and talked to a cook who came out and talked to me. To my surprise they brought me out 4 eggs over easy and a steak and told me it was cooked on a different surface than the pork, as much as I admired them for this my daughter and I go for the Stitch interaction.

we go to Ohana for breakfast 3 times a trip. I still enjoy it. Went last month and characters were (mickey, lilo and pluto) still spent ample time with you AND we witnessed signing autograph books countless times.

The ham was actually decent, but each visit we always kept the bacon flowing.... no hassle at all from our server. Love sippin on a lapu lapu listening to "Hawaiian roller coaster ride" :D

So if not Ohana's for breakfast, where do you guys suggest for a breakfast outside the parks? I booked Ohana for my son's bday in May (turning 1, so really not a big deal, he won't remember). We are staying at the Poly.

OP, I appreciate threads like this. Thank you for posting. :)

So if not Ohana's for breakfast, where do you guys suggest for a breakfast outside the parks? I booked Ohana for my son's bday in May (turning 1, so really not a big deal, he won't remember). We are staying at the Poly.

My girls enjoy 1900 Park Fare the Mad Hatter alone is worth the trip.

My girls enjoy 1900 Park Fare the Mad Hatter alone is worth the trip.

We ate there years ago (our first trip, which was a two dayer). I recall eating something that had lobster sauce that was delicious, and I am not even a lobster eater! :) The Mad Hatter was the only character that really stood out to me.
We tried Cape May breakfast too. We thought it was just okay.
We have the Cali Grill brunch booked for our trip. And Kona for one day. No other breakfasts planned, except Ohana's for his bday, which is on a Friday.

Cape May breakfast - we eat there once every trip. I would also recommend the Bon Voyage breakfast at Trattoria al Forno on the Boardwalk. Food was very good (although Flynn was absent the day we were there, so that was a big bummer).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter