• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

O'hana breakfast rookie question

challer

DIS Veteran
So, it's my first time doing O'hana - or any "Family Style" all you can eat meal. We are kosher and limited in our diet.

I haven't seen anywhere that there are cereals available for breakfast at O'hana. Am I missing something? I mean, how can you not have cereals?!

The menu doesn't have it. Disney Dining on the phone was less helpful - they just read the menu!

Any help? Thanks.

So, it's my first time doing O'hana - or any "Family Style" all you can eat meal. We are kosher and limited in our diet.

I haven't seen anywhere that there are cereals available for breakfast at O'hana. Am I missing something? I mean, how can you not have cereals?!

The menu doesn't have it. Disney Dining on the phone was less helpful - they just read the menu!

Any help? Thanks.

Ohana is NOT a buffet; it is a family-style all-you-can-eat meal, but they only serve what is on the menu. They may have substitutions for people with allergies, but I have no idea what they do for kosher. Sounds like you might want to choose another breakfast.

The little prepackaged bowls of cereal? When is your reservation? I work dinner at Ohana and have seen the little prepackaged bowls most days. I can check next time I work if needed.

You will need to call and discuss with them directly. This is from Disney Food Blog:

Kosher Meals can be accommodated at most WDW table service restaurants. With at least 2 business days advance notice, call (407) WDW-DINE or (407) 939-3463 for your kosher needs. A credit card guarantee is required to place your order. Your card will only be charged if you fail to cancel with at least 24 hours advance notice or in the event your party is a no-show.

Any help? Thanks.
How can they not have cereal? Easy, because its not a buffet. They serve whats on the menu. If you want cereal you should go to a buffet instead. I absolutely love The Wave...amazing breakfast buffet that wont break the bank. If you want characters, Cape May is also one of my faves.

Last edited:

Any help? Thanks.
How can they not have cereal - easy. It is not on the menu. And thousands of folks are happy eating there.
If you want cereal you could bring it, eat in your room, and save lots of money.
If you want cereal you should cancel ‘Ohana.

I suspect "Ohana would be more than happy to accommodate a kosher or any other specific diet or allergic concerns.
Want cereal ( I'm assuming you mean dry cereal) I know for a fact that it's offered at Capt. Cook's and thus could readily be brought to 'Ohana's. Same for oatmeal since it's offered at both the CL level and Kona Cafe at least.

I think the best thing for you to do is contact special.diets@disneyworld.com put in your requests and see how readily they can be addressed to your satisfaction. .

Disney is very good at providing Kosher meals. Just call and have that conversation with them. I think you'll be pleased with their commitment to guest needs.

Also, wanted to chime in that we did O'hana with DD17 years ago. She is allergic to dairy, egg, tree nuts, and peanuts. They brought her mickey waffles and potatoes cooked with vegetable oil. I imagine they could accommodate a kosher meal. Also, because of her allergies she eats cereal (with non-dairy milk alternative rather regularly) and have been offered that as an option at places that ordinarily do not have it. They should be able to do something for you, so I would follow jaimenees advice and call.

I read your blog a bit and it seems like cereal was a hit on one of your trips because it was one of the few kosher choices available, but it seems you already know that they will do certified kosher meals for you... it may very well be available on that menu. But it's not available on the regular non kosher menu.

If you want a character meal breakfast buffet with more options for picky eaters (like cereal and such), I would say Chef Mickeys. Fun character interaction and good buffet :)

I suspect "Ohana would be more than happy to accommodate a kosher or any other specific diet or allergic concerns.
Want cereal ( I'm assuming you mean dry cereal) I know for a fact that it's offered at Capt. Cook's and thus could readily be brought to 'Ohana's. Same for oatmeal since it's offered at both the CL level and Kona Cafe at least.

I think the best thing for you to do is contact special.diets@disneyworld.com put in your requests and see how readily they can be addressed to your satisfaction. .
Bringing outside food into a restaurant is generally frowned upon. If OP wants cereal options due to kosher reasons then discussing it with Disney is best. Otherwise looking into different restaurant choices for breakfast may be a better option.

Thanks to those who told me that it's family style and if it's not on the menu, go to a buffet. Buffet or no buffet, cereal is available at any breakfast I can fathom at any hotel or restaurant. That's why I'm asking - it's a breakfast staple. That's why I'm shocked it ain't here. (Same with oatmeal, IMHO.)

And to those who tell me that Disney knows how to do kosher well, I know. I know how it's done. Everywhere I've gone I've been able to eat other stuff beyond the pre-packaged meals. This just seems different because information is difficult to obtain.

I am not doubtful that they could find cereal for me if needed.

The little prepackaged bowls of cereal? When is your reservation? I work dinner at Ohana and have seen the little prepackaged bowls most days. I can check next time I work if needed.

Thank you. This might be the help I needed. That would be wonderful.

How can they not have cereal - easy. It is not on the menu. And thousands of folks are happy eating there.
If you want cereal you could bring it, eat in your room, and save lots of money.
If you want cereal you should cancel ‘Ohana.

Is this how we would treat other families with special dietary needs? Seems very un-Disney.

Last edited:
Bringing outside food into a restaurant is generally frowned upon. If OP wants cereal options due to kosher reasons then discussing it with Disney is best. Otherwise looking into different restaurant choices for breakfast may be a better option.
I think we are having a communication breakdown:)
Wasn't saying the guest should bring the cereal into 'Ohana but that waitstaff could provide it because it's readily available on the property.

I do not keep a strict Kosher diet but g*d helped me along by making me allergic to pork. So while not keeping strict kosher I have told them I can't eat anything that is on the plate with ham or bacon and they have always brought me out a separate plate with waffles and eggs.

If you want a character meal breakfast buffet with more options for picky eaters (like cereal and such), I would say Chef Mickeys. Fun character interaction and good buffet :)

Yup. Did that one already. I've had nothing but the most pleasant experiences with buffets - Chef Mickey's, Tusker House, Crystal Palace, Goofy's Kitchen, Storytellers Cafe. I'm just new to the Family Style way, and I'm surprised a fairly ubiquitous breakfast food wouldn't be available.

Thanks to those who told me that it's family style and if it's not on the menu, go to a buffet. Buffet or no buffet, cereal is available at any breakfast I can fathom at any hotel or restaurant. That's why I'm asking - it's a breakfast staple. That's why I'm shocked it ain't here. (Same with oatmeal, IMHO.)

And to those who tell me that Disney knows how to do kosher well, I know. I know how it's done. Everywhere I've gone I've been able to eat other stuff beyond the pre-packaged meals. This just seems different because information is difficult to obtain.

I am not doubtful that they could find cereal for me if needed.

Thank you. This might be the help I needed. That would be wonderful.

Is this how we would treat other families with special dietary needs? Seems very un-Disney.

Disney is awesome at accomdating special dietary considerations, so I am not at all sure why folks are sending you to another restaurant. If boxed cereal is available anywhere in the Poly I bet you a buck that there is some available for you at 'Ohana.

Yup. Did that one already. I've had nothing but the most pleasant experiences with buffets - Chef Mickey's, Tusker House, Crystal Palace, Goofy's Kitchen, Storytellers Cafe. I'm just new to the Family Style way, and I'm surprised a fairly ubiquitous breakfast food wouldn't be available.

If the CM who posted upthread saw the boxes, then odds are good they are available but not offered as a regular menu option. Can you see the chaos if they were? This is not a buffet with stations set up so that guests can help themselves, and it is not an off the menu restaurant. The 'Ohana dinner menu does not offer nuggets and Mac and cheese but these items magically appeared on our table when our server noticed that the kids were not touching the food that was offered. Please do not hesitate to enjoy 'Ohana unless there is absolutely no way to ensure that your meal is Kosher. It is a lovely character experience, and my family's favorite.

When you called you were probably rerouted to the call center. Those folks try, but they really cannot answer restaurant specific questions.
I would suggest that you ask on the DISabilities forum because while a Kosher meal is not a food related allergy, those folks will know how to contact the restaurants directly to ensure that your meal is safe to comsume. THye are also very happy to share any information they have so your family can enjoy their meal

When you called you were probably rerouted to the call center. Those folks try, but they really cannot answer restaurant specific questions.
I would suggest that you ask on the DISabilities forum because while a Kosher meal is not a food related allergy, those folks will know how to contact the restaurants directly to ensure that your meal is safe to comsume. THye are also very happy to share any information they have so your family can enjoy their meal

Thanks for that. It's helpful advice. I'm gonna give it a go anyway. We'll have our kosher meals & fruit and drinks anyway. I'm feeling more confident about the experience.

It's this coming Friday. I'll let you know how it goes

I think we are having a communication breakdown:)
Wasn't saying the guest should bring the cereal into 'Ohana but that waitstaff could provide it because it's readily available on the property.
Sorry - I didn't read it that way.

I'm going to apologize in advance if I'm wrong on any of this as my understanding of being kosher is a little limited. I have known some people who said they eat kosher but weren't "strict" about it and mainly just wouldn't eat pork or meals that had meat and dairy both. Others I know have been more "strict" (i mean no offense by using this word, it's what both sets of people have used) and would only eat meals prepared in the traditional kosher sense of meats having to be slaughtered in certain ways, cooking surfaces specially cleaned between meat and dairy preparations, etc. That being said, depending on where you fall on all of that will depend on what specifically Ohana can provide. They WILL do their best to accommodate all dietary issues. If you're okay with just eating the things on the platter that don't have pork or a mix of dairy and meat, then that may be an option, though obviously it wouldn't be prepared kosher in the traditional sense. I would think (though obviously can't guarantee) that they could rustle up cereal from somewhere, though understand that regardless of what you do or don't eat, you will be charged the same AYCTE price.

Also, if you notify the restaurant at least 24 hours in advance, by either calling the restaurant directly or the Special Diets line, I've been told you can order a kosher meal at any restaurant. These are meals that are pre-prepared in some off-site facility (or so I've heard) and are certified kosher. When you order in advance, you are given a couple of options to choose from. Again, you would be charged the AYCTE price, though your kosher meal would not be AYCTE if you ordered one, simply because it is something specially ordered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter