Ohana dinner for picky eaters?

Totally not worth it. We have eaten there many times because my daughter and husband enjoy it. He loves meat and she loves the sides. However, It is really nothing to get excited about. There are many better options for the price if you have picky eaters.

DD loves "chicken on the bone" but didn't like the sauce that was on them, we let our server know and they were able to bring out some plain ones.

This is something we really can't answer for you. You need to take a look at the menu and maybe some pictures and determine if your family would like that kind of food and the style in which it is served.

HI everyone,
We leave in 2 weeks for Disney and I have reservations for Ohana.
I've been reading reviews and I'm worried.. is it worth it?
I have 2 picky eaters, my husband and my daughter. They are ones that like cheesburgers plain with cheese only, don't like the food to touch, etc and they won't try much that they don't know or like.
I really want to try Ohana, so I'm just looking for your thoughts and opinions please.
Have you thought about switching to breakfast? I know it's not the same but it's an option.

Ate at ohana last night, a good experience but definitely not worth the money, food was OK , but unless your a botomless pit not worth it. Especially not for macaroni and cheese or chicken nuggets substitution.

I have a spin off question.....We have an ADR for Father’s Day at Ohana and we are keeping it as it is my husband’s favorite restaurant at Disney. This will be the first time we will not be on the DDP and my youngest will be ordering the mac and cheese or the chicken nuggets. I understand that he will be charged full price, but will he get “unlimited” amounts or will it just be the child sized portion. He is 11 with a big appetite, but very picky.

Last time we went with a picky eater too. I waited until she tried everything and lo and behold she loved it all. I didn’t offer her alternatives, she didn’t know there was something else she could get, but when she saw us all enjoying our food she joined in. Sometimes kids surprise us!

I have a spin off question.....We have an ADR for Father’s Day at Ohana and we are keeping it as it is my husband’s favorite restaurant at Disney. This will be the first time we will not be on the DDP and my youngest will be ordering the mac and cheese or the chicken nuggets. I understand that he will be charged full price, but will he get “unlimited” amounts or will it just be the child sized portion. He is 11 with a big appetite, but very picky.
A veritable feast of chicky nuggets and mac and cheese? Why not!
You are being charged for an adult portion since he is 11 y/o so I feel confident in saying they'll give him a whole dinner plate of 'em.

He can have as much as he wants of whatever combination of food he desires - nuggets, mac & cheese, hot dogs, whatever is available - so if he wants both nuggets and mac & cheese, they will bring both. If there's something he likes or wants to try from the "regular" food, he can have some of that, too.

HI everyone,
We leave in 2 weeks for Disney and I have reservations for Ohana.
I've been reading reviews and I'm worried.. is it worth it?
I have 2 picky eaters, my husband and my daughter. They are ones that like cheesburgers plain with cheese only, don't like the food to touch, etc and they won't try much that they don't know or like.
I really want to try Ohana, so I'm just looking for your thoughts and opinions please.

To answer your specific question, based on the descriptions of your DH and DD, no, it won't be worth it. If they aren't willing to try something new or are adverse to foods touching, I think you are going to spending a small fortune on food that will go to waste. Your DD will be fine as they will bring chicken tenders, mac and cheese, etc., but that's a lot of money to spend on foods you could get far cheaper elsewhere. If you are going to spend that amount of money on a meal, maybe consider going to a signature that everyone would enjoy instead? On our last trip, we spent about the same amount of money at O'hana as we did at Artist Point and Artist Point was so, so much better than O'hana. I would really consider dropping O'hana.

My own personal experience, so worth $.02.

My kids aren't very picky, but aren't adventurous. I have an 8 year old, 6 year old, and 4 year old twins.

We sat down and we asked about the kids menu. The waiter asked what they would like. My older son said grilled cheese, my daughter said chicken nuggets.

When they brought out the noodles in the big dish, they also brought out the same sized dish full of nuggets, fries, and grilled cheeses. They kids eyes lit up. My son was so excited. Its now his favorite restaurant.

I guess the point is, you're not paying for the food. You're paying for the experience. We all dressed up in Hawaiian garb. The photo we took in the lobby is the best photo of the trip. We had a window side seat for the fireworks.

I think you need to just decide how much you are willing to pay for the experience, and how much you are willing to pay for the food. I think they will provide whatever food you like. Sure, grilled cheese isn't work $60, but the experience filled the gap.

We will go to ohana every time we go to disney. It's a must do, just like peter pan, soarin, people mover...

The food really isn't that exotic. It's a meat and starch meal. If your family will eat at a local Chinese restaurant, they would be fine at Ohana. If not, I guess you could skip it. Seems a shame to miss a restaurant you want to try just for some picky eaters, though.

(It's one of my favorites!)

As someone who has been described as a picky eater by my DH, might I suggest that you introduce your family to the restaurant and the food they'll have ahead of time. That way, it doesn't come as a surprise. They can certainly chime in their opinion and thoughts on the restaurant and the food options there. Who knows, maybe they'll be interested in something they see? There are plenty of videos online of the dinner experience at Ohana.

From one picky eater, I'll say that what helps a lot is getting your picky eaters to agree to at least /try/ something. This is my deal with my husband for our upcoming trip to Disney. I agreed to try one new thing every day we're there (if something new is easily available, which it likely is). I've been working myself up to this by trying new places locally and even sampling off of my DH's plate now and again (even if I find I don't like it), just to get myself used to the act of trying things.

Because she said she really wanted to try it... not real fair to her to not be able to do the things she wants to try and enjoy. She was simply asking if there was anything they could eat since she really wanted to try it. I would assume money is not the issue or she wouldn’t be going there anyways.
Very true, as a MOM we often go without what we might like just for the sake of the whole team... OP, if you want to try it, do it. It's one meal, not a lifetime commitment. Let the family choose from alternative menu or make due with wha'ts served. Bring snacks to tide them over. You're around the corner from any QS chicken nuggets meal if they need to eat afterwards.

I personally think its worth it. Ohana is my favorite for dinner and I’ve always taken my picky child there. Why miss a restaurant I love because of a picky kid. Lol. She always got the Mac n cheese or hot dog and fries. They always offer a kids menu if you have a picky eater. While you pay the same price no matter what you chose it’s still worth it to me to be able to eat there. We usually go twice for dinner on every trip!

Thank you, everyone!!!

Are you by any chance staying at Poly or plan on doing so in the future? The only alternate solution I can think of is to get the Ohana Twilight feast delivered to your room and order 1 adult portion so u can have it without spending $$$ on an Ohana reservation. I know you want the full experience and I don't blame you, but recently Ohana's service has been awful and I heard they just got rid of the ukele player/children's games. So room service may be worth it.

Are you by any chance staying at Poly or plan on doing so in the future? The only alternate solution I can think of is to get the Ohana Twilight feast delivered to your room and order 1 adult portion so u can have it without spending $$$ on an Ohana reservation. I know you want the full experience and I don't blame you, but recently Ohana's service has been awful and I heard they just got rid of the ukele player/children's games. So room service may be worth it.
We will be staying at the Boardwalk...can you get this there?

Because she said she really wanted to try it... not real fair to her to not be able to do the things she wants to try and enjoy. She was simply asking if there was anything they could eat since she really wanted to try it. I would assume money is not the issue or she wouldn’t be going there anyways.
THANK YOU!!!!! <3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter