Ohana dinner -- is it really that good? Strategies to land a res?

You will find opinions about 'Ohana all over the place. Some love it, some hate it and everything in-between. We really enjoy 'Ohana and have never had bad service or food over many years. However, to get the date and time I want, I always book it at the 6 month mark.

I've been 2 or 3 times. When the food wasn't fine, it was really my issue. I've had great service and just OK service. This has nothing to do with the quality or service, but certainly the overall experience is not the same if you have a Gluten allergy!

The first time I went, I either didn't know I had developed an allergy or it hadn't fully kicked in yet. I had all the normal food. The pineapple-coconut bread was great, the dumplings, noodles, and especially the bread pudding for dessert was fantastic!

Since then, I can no longer eat those things. There are substitutions available in some cases, but it is just not the same. I can't recommend Ohana if you have a Gluten allergy:(. The meat was still fine during my Gluten sensitive visit. But I wish I still could have experienced a Gluten free version of the pineapple-coconut bread and the bread pudding. No potstickers or noodles for me either. I had Gluten free rolls and a sundae for dessert, both were fine but not even close to the normal options.

We have been to Disney 5 times since 2006 and we have had 9 dinners at Ohana. That should tell you how much my family likes the place. I am already planning our 2021 trip and we will be staying at the Poly. After asking for the hotel the girls put in their request for 2 dinners and 1 breakfast at Ohana. This past June we did run into the rush thing on one of our meal. All I did was use my best Marine Command voice and sent back stuff until we were ready to have it. The chicken was the highlight of both meals and we have always had adequate to incredible service.

We love Ohana! The last time we went I really enjoyed the location of our table. It was a table by the window looking out over the pool area. Prior to that we were at a table elbow to elbow with another group and I wasn’t a big fan of that.

My personal favorites are the dumplings, but honestly everything is so delicious. In our experience we’ve never been there when they have had coconut races that are mentioned on the Disney website or any kind of hula dance going on.

I think it’s really relaxing and a nice getaway from the hectic pace of the parks to have dinner at Ohana and just enjoy walking around the Polynesian resort. We will be going again in two weeks!!

There are substitutions available in some cases, but it is just not the same. I can't recommend Ohana if you have a Gluten allergy
Thanks so much for this honest assessment of dining there with an allergy or medically restricted diet. We certainly know that Disney is great at accommodating. But obviously in some cases and for some experiences it is understandably hard for them to match the experience. We’d be avoiding gluten, dairy and soy. So it sounds like at this particular restaurant the substitutions and accommodations might not be worth the value and may be disappointing for the diner when seeing the regular menu and plates. We really do appreciate having that insight going in. We understand some locations can only do and offer so much.

Everyone was so helpful and honest about Ohana -- wondering if there's similar/same advice and opinions on trying the Whispering Canyon Cafe? We'd likely go with the "skillet" (which to me looks questionable on the value -- at least at dinner sitting). And not sure how some members of our party would take the shenanigans (though it sounds like they've sort of toned that down a bit). And, again, there's the medically restricted diet and allergies issue too ... (though to me reading the blogs, it sounds like WCC might be better at that than Ohana).

So we've never been to Ohana before or thought much about it.

We've been looking at it more this time around for a dinner service and are realizing that it's not just the character breakfast that has it super popular.

Just how good is this place? What is so special about it? I mean, it looks like a fun experience, but are the food and drinks that spectacular? (And one who's dined there with dietary/medical/allergic restrictions would be encouraged to chime in, as to just the what and value of what you get served -- and yes, we've read blogs and reviews, and from that perspective maybe it's why we're missing the 'wow' excitement this place seems to have).

But, anyway, we are outside the 180 day window for when we are going to be there and have been regularly monitoring it for about a month and still haven't seen any openings pop up for their dinner service. Fully booked.

So, if anyone (everyone?) agrees it's a "must try", if there's some strategies on how to (when to) watch for ADR openings at this point, advice would be much appreciated. We will be there the first week of December and we'd be looking for a dinner sitting.

I personally like Ohana. However I believe the Hype is more the fact that people feel like they're getting a bargain. Unlimited, copious amounts of meat and carbs for americans is like heaven. On the dining plan it's 1 credit for all that food, and people think it's a good deal on the dining plan. I personally LOVE wings and noodles, so I like it. Although that "type" food is definitely not worth the price in the real world.

My husband thought it was gross. When we went it did have a bit of a cafeteria/rushed type feel. We don't do the dining plan so we did it once, and haven't done it since. I would go back but my husband makes a sad face at me when i suggest going back, and says he doesn't want chinese takeout.

Last edited:

I personally like Ohana. However I believe the Hype is more the fact that people feel like they're getting a bargain. Unlimited, copious amounts of meat and carbs for americans is like heaven. On the dining plan it's 1 credit for all that food, and people think it's a good deal on the dining plan. I personally LOVE wings and noodles, so I like it. Although that "type" food is definitely not worth the price in the real world.

My husband thought it was gross. When we went it did have a bit of a cafeteria/rushed type feel. We don't do the dining plan so we did it once, and haven't done it since. I would go back but my husband makes a sad face at me when i suggest going back, and says he doesn't want chinese takeout.
cafeteria?

my husband makes a sad face at me when i suggest going back, and says he doesn't want chinese takeout.
:rotfl2:Sad face. I’m actually concerned about the number of people who’ve compared it to Chinese takeout. Not very appetizing and definitely won’t work for our party with the medical dietary restrictions and allergies. Chinese is a no-no. Think we’ll be skipping it. Might try Whispering Canyon I stead for the all you can eat carb and protein load. Though we aren’t American so I’m not sure that that’s as much of a culinary thrill for us. And the novelty wears off quick if there’s not some quality behind it.

Everyone was so helpful and honest about Ohana -- wondering if there's similar/same advice and opinions on trying the Whispering Canyon Cafe? We'd likely go with the "skillet" (which to me looks questionable on the value -- at least at dinner sitting). And not sure how some members of our party would take the shenanigans (though it sounds like they've sort of toned that down a bit). And, again, there's the medically restricted diet and allergies issue too ... (though to me reading the blogs, it sounds like WCC might be better at that than Ohana).

my dad is a grump and would not have been into the shenanigans. In fact, just walking through the main dining room after dinner was over got a ton of complaints from him. They have a room in the back, I forget what it's called now, but it's completely separate and no shenanigans ... just a nice quiet restaurant overlooking the back side of the lobby where it's pretty quiet. I believe i named it in my review linked below from my latest trip but I don't remember for sure.

I found the food to be mediocre but my son's skillet seemed pretty good, we all tried a taste of this or that and no one cared because we also all ordered full entrees and no seconds were requested. my pork chop was a bit dry (gone from the menu now). My dad liked the steak. my mom's salmon salad was utterly ridiculous. I would stick with the skillet or maybe the a la carte ribs as that food is really more their forte. The seasonal cheesecake was amazing.

I'm going from memory, I am probably more detailed in my review :)

cafeteria?

yes, when we went it was a very weird setup. It was just my husband and I, and they had these tables for 2 pushed too close together which almost made big long tables. It felt kind of like a cafeteria to me. I was sitting elbow to elbow with a woman I didn't know but my husband was probably 5 feet accross from me, really far, and I couldn't even talk to him. It was loud, rushed, and strange. Still....WINGS AND NOODLES. haha. It maybe would have been better with a bigger group and a nice round table...but for us it was a very weird and rushed, and felt like a cafeteria type setup.

Last edited:
yes, when we went it was a very weird setup. It was just my husband and I, and they had these tables for 2 pushed too close together which almost made big long tables. It felt kind of like a cafeteria to me. I was sitting elbow to elbow with a woman I didn't know but my husband was probably 5 feet accross from me, really far, and I couldn't even talk to him. It was loud, rushed, and strange. Still....WINGS AND NOODLES. haha. It maybe would have been better with a bigger group and a nice round table...but for us it was a very weird and rushed, and felt like a cafeteria type setup.
That is weird! Yes, we had the large round table. We always have, even when we were just a party of three. Sorry you had such a lousy experience.

When on the DDP, especially “free” DDP, it’s pretty good.

It’s just ok when Paying OOP for a family of four.

We are skipping it since we don’t do the DDP anymore.

When on the DDP, especially “free” DDP, it’s pretty good.

It’s just ok when Paying OOP for a family of four.

We are skipping it since we don’t do the DDP anymore.

Translation:

It's ok, but feeling like you're getting a deal makes it "taste better".

Kinda like BoG breakfast. DDP folks can't get past the price tag to judge the food fairly.

"It's a great deal on the DDP, given the $25 price tag". Well, only if you never consider that it's insanely overpriced to begin with. Otherwise, it's still a very average meal...even for a QS credit.

Translation:

It's ok, but feeling like you're getting a deal makes it "taste better".

Kinda like BoG breakfast. DDP folks can't get past the price tag to judge the food fairly.

"It's a great deal on the DDP, given the $25 price tag". Well, only if you never consider that it's insanely overpriced to begin with. Otherwise, it's still a very average meal...even for a QS credit.

Yup.

Sorry if this is derailing the thread but wondered if anyone could help me. Does the bread pudding at Ohana itself have bananas in or is it just the caramel sauce they pour over that has bananas in? My wife doesn't like bananas at all but wants to try the bread pudding?

You'll learn pretty quickly that food is subjective. You'll get 100 different opinions on here. Some people love Ohana; Some people will never go again; Some people are in between.

Is Ohana worthy of all the hype?
No. No it's not. At the end of the day it's a Polynesian version of a Brazilian steakhouse with a ton less options. As someone else mentioned, it's a hype train and popular because it's located at the Poly and because the bread pudding is very good. People have had mixed experiences with the service (good and bad) and some have reported that the food isn't always the best quality.

Frankly, we enjoy it. We've never had a bad meal there, but still - not sure i'd anoint it. At the end of the day it's a good restaurant (my opinion) in a very popular resort... in the most popular area... of one of the most popular places on earth.

BUT... the only restaurant that truly deserves the hype is V&A. At the end of the day it's all hype and based on tastes.

Should you dine there? I would. I enjoyed it and I'd recommend it. If you wanna score an ADR, you'll have better luck saving it for the end of your trip. As much as the 180+10 could work for you, it could also work against you in that earlier ADRs will be snatched up by those checking in before you.

Sorry if this is derailing the thread but wondered if anyone could help me. Does the bread pudding at Ohana itself have bananas in or is it just the caramel sauce they pour over that has bananas in? My wife doesn't like bananas at all but wants to try the bread pudding?
It definitely has bananas! My son hates them and he could smell it. They brought him an ice cream sundae instead, which was the only thing he ate here.

It definitely has bananas! My son hates them and he could smell it. They brought him an ice cream sundae instead, which was the only thing he ate here.
My daughter is allergic specifically to raw bananas, while cooked bananas are fine (so banana bread is fine). She would want the fancy dessert with the rest of us so not sure if they can do something for her.

My daughter is allergic specifically to raw bananas, while cooked bananas are fine (so banana bread is fine). She would want the fancy dessert with the rest of us so not sure if they can do something for her.
My son has a nut allergy and they couldn’t guarantee no nuts, so they made him a fabulous dessert to make him feel special.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter