Ohana....DIS guys killed it?

The review of 'Ohana that John & Kevin did has to be a few years old. A few things to keep in mind:
  • John & Kevin are pretty good/funny reviewers. We almost always agree with their opinion.
  • John & Kevin agree that their opinion only reflects their taste and what happened during their visit. They recognize that your choice could be different
  • Other DIS people love 'Ohana. Do your dining tastes line up with them or John & Kevin?
  • Many other people love 'Ohana. Its to the point where "nobody goes there anymore because its too crowded". :)
  • Is it possible that the food/service at 'Ohana has changed since the review you heard? Was the change for the better or worse?
  • Are we overthinking this?
Oh, and please note that this is Hawaiian themed, not Irish, hence the position of the apostrophe. :teacher:

The review of 'Ohana that John & Kevin did has to be a few years old. A few things to keep in mind:
Oh, and please note that this is Hawaiian themed, not Irish, hence the position of the apostrophe. :teacher:

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

One of my biggest pet peeves in the multiple Disney Fan communities that I belong to is when I see that someone is looking for an ADR at O'Hana's!. We had a Pub in my town called O'hana's, so it made me chuckle the first time I saw it, but now, it drives me batty.

I think that everyone should go at least once. With that being said, one time was enough for us. We like to go there for breakfast once in awhile to get the character interact but prefer Cape May breakfast overall. The dessert is wonderful but you can also get it at the bar so that is what I would do if I wanted it again.

I am facing a dilemma thanks to Ohana. It's perfectly sited to be the setting for a big family dinner (10 people) during our December 2017 trip, but I'm not as enthusiastic about it after eating both breakfast and dinner there in February. For breakfast, my 6yo daughter and I were the first people sat in our section but the service was so slow that we received our check after every other table in the section had already left the restaurant. Now that we've checked Lilo and Stitch off our character meet list, I see no reason to return for breakfast.

My partner and I took three kids for dinner after a long day in MK, and while our server was outstanding and very accommodating of the kids' lack of enthusiasm for the family-style menu, my partner and I left underwhelmed by the food, for the same reasons people have listed above. I'd describe it as a sub-prime churrascaria with mall food-court quality Chinese side dishes and delicious but rich desserts.

My partner doesn't want to return, and I'm on the fence, but I feel like the extended family would really enjoy the experience despite the mediocre food, so we'll probably get an ADR for December 2017 anyway because Free Dining.

Last edited:
We've gone every year for the last few years and with each time it has gotten worse.

It seems to be inconsistent and that is why it is no longer a must do for us. I think everyone should try it once tho.

I never went because of the wildly inconsistent reviews but my kids went last trip and loved it. It is their current favorite adr.

Trying to check off Ohana on my "bucket list" for September. Can't anything so far...but I keep trying. I saw an archived DIS episode where Kevin and John killed it. So I'm second guessing if I should even try. Any thoughts? TIA!
Try using the touringplans reservation finder. It's free with a basic account.

We've had dinner there three times so far and have enjoyed it every time! Never had a problem with service either. Trying to get a dinner reservation for September since we changed our vacation from November to September!

It's my husband's favorite ADR. He practically ate himself into a food coma last year. I like the atmosphere: watching coconut races & hula lessons, looking out the windows over the water. I am not a huge fan of AYCTE but I like the family style servings. Overall, I think every experience is what you make it. Is it the best food I've had on property...no. Is it anywhere near the worst? No way. And the dessert is something we still talk about.

Okay, I'll jump in with a dissenting opinion. I think the food is low quality, especially considering the high price, and that it is overhyped. Picture bagged salad with some type of sweet dressing, noodles with mixed frozen veggie stir fry, and cheap cuts of meat. This was somewhat redeemed by a tasty bread pudding dessert that you can get on its own at Tambu lounge. All in all, my impression is quantity over quality and for AYCTE, there are much better options than 'Ohana.

This is how we feel after our last visit.

Trying to check off Ohana on my "bucket list" for September. Can't anything so far...but I keep trying. I saw an archived DIS episode where Kevin and John killed it. So I'm second guessing if I should even try. Any thoughts? TIA!
Ohana has proven to be inconsistent. At times it has been great. At times it has been bad. Even at it's best I personally find it overrated and would rather eat less meat of a higher quality that is prepared better and with more creativity but most reports are now that it is closer to it's "great" status. I have not been recently so I have no first hand experience but Ohana is one of those places where most people who love it will defend it till the cows come home.

We have eaten at Ohana several times for breakfast and twice for dinner.
If you have never tried it I always tell people try it at least once.

That being said, I'm not a big Ohana fan. I liked the meats and shrimp at dinner and dumplings
but I didn't like the other items.

Also most of the time I am a solo diner (except when DS 21 y.o. goes with me)
Since it's served family style it ends up being food wasted, and I don't like to waste food.

Does Kill it mean they didn't like it?
If so, while I agree with them regarding Ohana I don't agree with all their reviews. They "killed" San Angel and we love it.
So bottom line, you need to for yourself

Ohana's is a great place, love it, went 3 times the last time we were at WDW and I will be trying to book again

Okay, I'll jump in with a dissenting opinion. I think the food is low quality, especially considering the high price, and that it is overhyped. Picture bagged salad with some type of sweet dressing, noodles with mixed frozen veggie stir fry, and cheap cuts of meat. This was somewhat redeemed by a tasty bread pudding dessert that you can get on its own at Tambu lounge. All in all, my impression is quantity over quality and for AYCTE, there are much better options than 'Ohana.
That pretty much sums up every meal at Disney ;)

Well, not the overhyped so much. Not all of them. But if we considered is this meal worth the price we'd never eat there. None of them are worth the price, even when it's better quality. We didn't like Ohana's the last couple of times because it's just not very good. The meats are over cooked. We have better Brazilian barbecue place locally so it lose that uniqueness too

Does Kill it mean they didn't like it?
If so, while I agree with them regarding Ohana I don't agree with all their reviews. They "killed" San Angel and we love it.
So bottom line, you need to for yourself
They're usually spot on.....that's why I listen to them. They panned Tony's...I tried it anyway......horrible.....they panned San Angel....and sorry....it was horrible as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter