• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

'Ohana - Good Recent Experiences?

Kimosabe

DIS Veteran
Seems like most of the latest reviews of 'Ohana have been less than stellar. I see a few good comments, but they seem to be fewer and farther between. I realize that restaurant experiences are very personal, could vary from day to day depending on mood of servers, mood of diners, the food preferences of diners, the awareness of diners as to the particular restaurant nuances, etc., and are, frankly, very subjective (e.g. what one thinks is overdone meat is perfect to someone else, etc., especially a place like 'Ohana which does not offer cooked-to-order). But in general, has anyone had a really good experience at 'Ohana in the last couple of months since the menu has been updated and the Poly construction has been underway?

Subscribing because I was thinking to post the exact same thing. We're 1 ADR over the DDP alottment which is OK but not if it's only to be disappointed at Ohana, my 1 must do. We've been 2x before and loved it. Kids love the noodles, now changed. I did enjoy the salad but enjoy the lettuce wraps at PF Chang so I'm thinking it's the same. If service and skewers are subpar for the majority of the time currently, I may just cancel. I've also been wanting to try CHH so am considering Ohana and having a CS dinner instead. We have a pre-park opening at CP that day anyway. Hoping for some positive feedback...

I wish I could post a positive for you. We are heading back in September for 14 nights and this is the first time in all of our trips that we are skipping Ohana. It has always been our MUST do (sometimes twice in a trip). It just seems to have lost it's luster or something. My husband and I have a shellfish allergy so since we were already down 1 protein, removing the chicken takes it down 2. The chef did have a chicken breast made for us which we thought was nice. It was just a plain chicken breast so nothing to write home about but a nice gesture nonetheless.

My mom loves PF Changs lettuce wraps and she said they were nothing at all like them. I think she took one bite and the rest were wasted.

Once we discovered that we can get the bread pudding at the bar, we decided we will head over one night, use our TIW card and eat some dessert after eating dinner somewhere else.

So sad :(

That said....if you have never given Captain's Grille a try, we all had one of our favorite meals of our trip there!

We ate there 3 weeks ago and had a great experience. This was our first time there, so we never experienced the chicken or the salad in the past. We did not like the lettuce wraps at all, but we loved everything else. Our server was great (Cousin Debbie), and she came by multiple times throughout the meal to ask if we needed more of anything. I have heard people say that sometimes their meat is dried out, but ours was cooked perfectly (maybe we got lucky). We also really enjoyed the dumplings and noodles (I wish I knew what they put on the noodles because we both thought they were amazing). My husband loved the wings, but I was so full from everything else that I didn't even try one. We both also loved the bread pudding, although I still like Raglan Road's better. We loved Ohana, and will definitely go back on our next trip :)

DH and I were there in May. We had a very good experience. Great food and service!! I'm bummed that not everyone is experiencing that.

O'hana's is one of the restaurants that we enjoy going to.. The Lapu Lapu drink in a pineapple is amazing! Out of all the times I have been there I have not had a bad experience what so ever. The food is amazing and the atmossphere and entertainement is great as well... :goodvibes

Glad to hear some of these good comments (and would welcome more). We have only been there once -- a couple of years ago -- but it immediately jumped to into the top tier of my favorites. We were finally supposed to go again last week, but ended up dropping the ADR due to some other issues not related to the menu change. Was hoping to get my own feel for the new menu. Might try it again in January when we're back, and maybe some of the lobby construction will be finished by then, which I suspect is something that is dampening people's spirits before even going into the restaurant itself.

We had a good experience at Ohana back in May, which was after the menu changes so at least it's mostly current. I've been there probably ten times on various WDW trips spanning 40 years ... so a lot, but it's not like it's my local watering hole or anything. In that time, we had one bad experience, and it was entirely wait staff related. Bad service experiences happen, sadly, pretty much everywhere ... shy of places like the French Laundry.

Ohana is much loved by my wife and kids, while I'm much more neutral. But it's never been terrible and always been at least good. Sometimes very much so.

I wonder if it's time related. Historically I noticed that people that dine there later in the evening seem to have a worst experience - running behind on ADR time (because earlier diners are lingering), more rushed service (maybe as they're trying to catch up?) and dried out food (maybe some skewers sit out there longer?). Obviously this shouldn't be the case but I'm wondering if the negative experiences are later, say 8pm+..... we've only gone twice and loved it both times. Our upcoming trip, which I'm debating whether I'm keeping, is for 5:25 specifically because of the pattern I've noticed on here...

DH and I were there in May. We had a very good experience. Great food and service!! I'm bummed that not everyone is experiencing that.

Us as well. Went April 30 and thoroughly enjoyed. Wife is a vegetarian and they were very accomodating.

We ate there 2 weeks ago and it was by far the best meal of our trip [we were in WDW for 3 weeks] and we had some awesome meals while we were there! I thought the quality was way up, the food was incredible and we all [party of 9] loved the lettuce wraps. I'm craving one right now!! :thumbsup2

I'm not sure if it is a timing issue or not and I would like to say that I had a good review, but when we were there in Dec. it was our least favorite meal. On prior trips it used to be one of our favorites. It just seemed like the quality and service both declined. I always set our ADR for around the time of the MK fireworks.

I've noticed the bad reviews have been piling up for a while, but it isn't affecting popularity as it has been sold out for my entire trip from the 100 day mark aside from late night meals.

We ate there for the first time in June. There were 2 of us, we had an 8:00 reservation and got a window table. Our server was very personable and refilled our drinks so often we probably could've floated away. We had to turn the meat skewers away after they kept coming back trying to give us more. Salad was still on the menu. The only thing we were "meh" about was the much-derided lettuce wrap.

It was my favorite Disney meal in recent memory (including 2 dinner visits to BOG...that's right, I said it!) and it is the ADR I wanted the most for our November trip.

We are going to go there for breakfast w/characters- the bad reviews I see seem more associated with dinner, Any recent experiences with breakfast?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter