• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ohana, Kona Cafe or Narcoosee's for Birthday

pixiedust33

Mouseketeer
Help me pick my birthday dinner please! We're staying at the Polynesian, planning to do my birthday meal on our arrival day (after getting in around 2pm) and don't want to venture too far from the resort and won't have park passes that day. I love seafood and good cocktails. My dining companions are my husband and my 2.5 year old son, which makes me hesitant about fine/signature dining (he's actually a great, diverse eater so I don't need "kid food" but I'm worried about the pace of service - he can't sit still for more than hour and I don't want to feel out of place or like I'm being side eyed if he's antsy).

So my top options are 1) Ohana (no seafood, but people seem to rave about it, very convenient and seems the most kid-friendly), 2) Kona Cafe (more seafood and also very convenient but I don't see many people talking about it so not sure how good it isl) or 3) Narcoosee's (has the seafood, fairly close, but worried about pace of service). Thoughts on any of those or any other suggestions? Particularly interested in how quickly we can get in and out while still enjoying our food.

Wouldn't recommend Ohana. Food was terrible, service not much better. I know some people said they were rushed but our experience was the complete opposite. The place was packed (therefore also very loud), we were seated 30min after our reservation time (and the waiting area was also packed with guests waiting for their tables) and dining took about 90min. They just threw some mass-produced food at us every now and then. The chicken was raw inside despite being burned on the outside.
I haven't been to Narcoossee's (it was closed during our stay) but we dined at some of the other signature restaurants. In our experience service was prompt and very attentive. Food was great and the ambience was lovely. I think you'll have a much better time celebrating a special occasion - such as your birthday - at a signature restaurant.

From those three choices, Kona is your best bet. 'Ohana is too inconsistent, and there's no way you're getting in & out of Narcoosees in an hour (but that's where the best food will be.)

'Ohana is wildly inconsistent, we went three or four times before COVID, came back once after COVID, and decided never again. Out of the three you've suggested, I think Kona is the most logical option-- you'll be in and out quickly if that matters the most to you, and you're not leaving the resort, so you can make this a very chill and low-key day for yourselves. We've eaten there several times and have enjoyed it each time. Menu is a bit limited but the cocktails are very good, though the menu can be hit or miss.

I'm assuming Disney Springs will be out of the picture for you on arrival day because you'll want to stay a bit closer to home, but I also recommend The Boathouse for you if you want to explore DS during your trip -- best seafood on property IMO and some of the best cocktails as well!

Kona was terrible during our last visit and that included our cocktails, appetizers and entrees. It's definitely off my list.

OH NO! I just learned I'm going to Universal in February for a week and was going to try and sneak in a dinner at Ohana!! Does it suck that bad?

We did Narcoose's pre-refurb with 2 kids (6 and 2 at the time) we had one an early dinner (5ish), and I'm pretty sure we were out within an hour, maybe 90 minutes max? Honestly I don't remember much about the meal other than we went. The other 2, I have only been for breakfast.

OH NO! I just learned I'm going to Universal in February for a week and was going to try and sneak in a dinner at Ohana!! Does it suck that bad?
I wouldn’t do Ohana unless you are traveling with small children. Beautiful surroundings, OK ish food, sometimes long waits for a table and rather noisy. When we stayed at the hotel we just ordered from Ohana off the room service menu.

OP, I’d choose between Narcoossees and Kona for your needs. K is more like a Polynesian Howard Johnson’s in decor while the service brings an old fashioned luncheonette to mind. N is a bit more upscale with fantastic water views available.

It was the worst food I've had in years. Quality and service seem to differ wildly. I suppose you could try and maybe it'll end up being one of their good nights when you're there. However it's a lot of money for a maybe. For comparison - we paid $150 (including tip) at Ohana. For $170 (including tip) we had an amazing meal, fantastic service and beautiful ambience at Topolino's.

The Polynesian is such a beautiful resort, it sucks that their restaurants are so hit or miss.

Went to Narcoosee's for anniversary dinner ( almost 2 years ago). Worst meal ever. Ordered a cake, $150, and threw it away. Awful.

I'm assuming Disney Springs will be out of the picture for you on arrival day because you'll want to stay a bit closer to home, but I also recommend The Boathouse for you if you want to explore DS during your trip -- best seafood on property IMO and some of the best cocktails as well

I am so tempted by this! My last trip to WDW was pre kid in 2018 and we ate at the Boathouse and absolutely loved it. My son would actually probably love watching the water cars if those still launch right next to the outdoor seating area.

I’m surprised by all the negative Ohana feedback! I was taking for granted that it would be good, even though it’s not the kind of food I really wanted so I might need to revisit my thinking.

I am so tempted by this! My last trip to WDW was pre kid in 2018 and we ate at the Boathouse and absolutely loved it. My son would actually probably love watching the water cars if those still launch right next to the outdoor seating area.

I’m surprised by all the negative Ohana feedback! I was taking for granted that it would be good, even though it’s not the kind of food I really wanted so I might need to revisit my thinking.
I second the Boathouse! However, out of your choices, I'd choose Kona. The food is delicious and I feel like the times I've eaten there the food was out quickly!

i would choose Narcoossee’s, tell your server that you have a limited window and stick to 2 courses. They are understanding, or at least, the signatures were when my kids were that age.

Although I'm not a huge fan of the food, I would probably stick to something at Poly on your arrival day. We ate at 'Ohana in January and I thought it was actually pretty good (and this is after having some fairly bad meals there in the past). I don't like Kona's food at all. Perhaps consider GF Cafe? It would be a nice ride on the monorail and it's more laid back than Narcoosee's. Narcoosee's is fantastic, I just don't think you will have a quick meal there. We also really love the Boathouse, so if a trip to DS is in the cards, I would go there.

I am a princess about my birthday celebrations! We had a terrible meal at Ohana in June 2022. The apps are fine. The main meats were nearly inedible. The service was drop and go. We told our cousin server we didn’t want mains until we had finished the apps. It made no difference, and the food runners are not authorized to take food back if too soon. Kona reminds me of a hotel lobby restaurant at an airport Hyatt. Okay but not a bday meal. So if it were me, I would either go to the pool, and mobile order captain cooks, and perhaps get apps, drinks and desserts in Tambu lounge, and declare that my birthday celebration would be the next night. Or I would get a ride share, and go to Disney Springs for boathouse, or one of my favorites Boma And show my kid the savannahs.

So, IF you can book an Ohana reservation that fits you timeframe, I would just book it. It's such a hard reservation to get at decent times that you may not even get a time that works for you, especially on arrival day. Then check recent online reviews to see if you wan to keep it. I have it reserved for December, my girlfriend and I have never had dinner there and we like tiki drinks so we are doing it no matter what. Recent reviews seem all over the place some people say worst meal ever, others say best meal ever. I will say I think you can ge the noodles, pot stickers and wings from the Tambu Lounge outside Ohana, so you can just always order that during your stay without a reservation.

So if you can actually score a decent time reservation at Ohana, I'd book it and read up to see if you want to keep it. Otherwise if you want to take it easy and stay resort area I'd book Narcoosee's or hit DS if you want to travel. Honestly whatever place you get the best reservation time for may be best bet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter