• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ohana's for dinner

pixiewytch

DIS Veteran
My best friend and I have a reservation to eat there next week after a day at the MK with my 4 yr old. I was just wondering what to expect and how your experience was. The picture looks like everybody sits together at one huge table. Is this right? Do they prepare food in front of you? What is the live entertainment like? Is it really loud and obnoxious or is the atmosphere somewhat relaxing?

You sit with your family only. Your four y/o can participate in the races. They bring food to you.

You both will have a fantastic time! Don't forget that your little one can order off the kids menu if he/she doesn't like the big kids food! They prepare the meats on skewers over large grill area in the center of the restaraunt. It is awesome! We've eaten there 3 times in the last year and LOVE it! Although you will find people lurking on this board who will let you know the picky details of what they fell is bad about the place.

Enjoy! I'm jealous!

When we were there 6/29/06 with my wife and 2 girls, ages 3 and 5, we had a great time! If your reservation is for a large party, then they will probably sit you at a large table. We were seated at a normal sized table for 4. They do not prepare food in front of you. It is prepared at the fire pit grill near the center of the main dining room. Your server will bring the grilled steak, pork, turkey, sausage on a 3 foot skewer and give you as much as you care to eat. Your appetizers and salad are also brought to your table. The live entertainment was a lady with a microphone walking around the room singing and putting together games kids can play (rolling coconuts around the room with a stick, etc.). The atmosphere was fun and laid back. It was not too loud for my family.

Ohana is awesome. You sit with your family. Table size will depend on party size. My DD's current Fiance proposed to her at Ohana a few months ago and there were about 25-30 people there - so they had one long table for them - but that was still all their party.
3475%3B3%3B%3A9%7Ffp344%3Enu%3D3253%3E75%3A%3E6%3A4%3EWSNRCG%3D3233655836497nu0mrj

3475%3B3%3B%3A9%7Ffp33%3B%3Enu%3D3253%3E75%3A%3E6%3A4%3EWSNRCG%3D32336558463%3B6nu0mrj

(These kids had nothing to do with the party....they were the kids who had come up to sing, dance, etc - just wanted to give you a feel for the place)

One of my family's favorite places to eat. Our table from Christmas Eve 2005 - table for 5/6, so there are all sizes.
3475%3B3%3B%3C5%7Ffp338%3Enu%3D3253%3E75%3A%3E6%3A4%3EWSNRCG%3D32334592465%3B5nu0mrj

Very kid friendly....coconut races, hula hoop contests, hula dancing and singing. It won't be quiet, that's for sure. If you are there at the time of Wishes in MK, they dim the lights and pipe in the music. Very cool, indeed. If that's your ADR time, ask about a window table when you check in.

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! I have always ate Ohana for breakfast and on my last trip when I called for reservations that women who I spoke with said that her favorite meal for dinner was Ohana. (I always askthe person I speak with their favorite, hopefully finding some place I wasn't aware of being great and boy did I find it here!!!!!!!!) I loved Ohana for dinner and it is definitely something you have to try! :woohoo:

I am jealous...we have visited Disney many times since 1976...Ohana has been by far a most wonderful family experience and keeps getting better as our children have grown...last summer we were eating dinner at Ohana when the MK Wishes fireworks came on...it was a most magical experience with the piped in music---the most memorable dinner of our trip! Have fun! princess:

When's the best time to make a reservation so you time your meal with Wishes? I've booked an 8:10 ADR for the night we arrive. I wanted to kick off my familie's first WDW experience here. Is this a pretty good time?

O'hana's is our familiy's favorite place to eat, ever! My youngest DD who was five the first time we went ( and a Cinderella nut) loved it better than the castle. Make sure you ask for a table next to the window WITH A VIEW OF THE CASTLE. Otherwise you might get a window table but no castle view. It can get noisy though just in case that was why you asked about the noise level. The kid's games mentioned by the others are fun to watch and my two DD's loved doing them.

DLBDS said:
When's the best time to make a reservation so you time your meal with Wishes? I've booked an 8:10 ADR for the night we arrive. I wanted to kick off my familie's first WDW experience here. Is this a pretty good time?
When I booked my vacation we had ressies about 2 hours before Wishes was suppose to start and we had to realllly eat slow, but it was worth it because we had a window seat right in front of the castle. So if your res is about an hour to an hour and a half away you should be safe. Like I said in an earlier post make sure you say a window seat with a view of the castle and that you are willing to wait. They were very polite when we did that. We only waited about 15 minutes but that was on a week day.
:Pinkbounc :bounce: Hope you have a ball!! :bounce: :Pinkbounc

I thought I had read that the restaurant had stopped serving the big tiger shrimp? My husband loved it there, but is only willing to go back if they still had the shrimp and I thought I remembered seeing that they had stopped serving it. Any help would be appreciated!

golfgirl3613 said:
I thought I had read that the restaurant had stopped serving the big tiger shrimp? My husband loved it there, but is only willing to go back if they still had the shrimp and I thought I remembered seeing that they had stopped serving it. Any help would be appreciated!

They serve a different kind of shrimp than they did before - no longer cooked on the skewer. It's served with the appetizers - sweet and sour shrimp it's called now. They now have steak, turkey, pork and Hawaiian pork sausage on the skewers.
They also have replaced the pineapple and carmel dessert with bread pudding a la mode with Bananas Foster Sauce. Very good, but very sweet and heavy. My family preferred the pineapple, but still love the place.

Your family is seated together. They bring appetizers out and he food is fire grilled on skewers in a front section of the restaurant. The skewers are then brought to the table. You choose which meats you want. My family loved this place. It was another place that had gotten horrible reviews here consistantly. I tried it and loved it. We will definitely return.

I have eaten here twice in the last year and enjoyed it very much. In April I was with DGD and DGS who were 3 and 5. They had fun with the coconut races, but to be truthful, they were probably a bit young to enjoy it to the fullest. The restaurnant does get noisy, but I do not find it overwhelming. I guess, like always, it is in your expectations. Do not go expecting a quiet romantic gourmet meal.
The entertainment is intermittant and consists of a gentleman or lady playing a ukelele (sp?) and singing. This person also leads the coconut races and the hula hoop contest.
In October, we had a window table with a view of the castle. We were having desert when Wishes started, it was beautiful. Timing an ADR for viewing Wishes varies with the time Wishes is presented.
HTH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter