Ohio Train Derailment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people have debunked that because algae can cause the same rainbow sheen. There’s several articles written about non petroleum sheen on water. Just do a google search. There is away to tell the difference. I believe if it’s algae it will break apart if it’s disturbed and petroleum it clumps together. This sheen could be from neither of those for all we know.
Would you chance it if you lived there? Had kids?

That wasn't the point.
For what it's worth between the 2 of you, there were petroleum based products on the train. The contamination is certainly from the derailment although I would never deny there were already contaminants there in some regard. Certainly not to the level now.

The officials there now are working on the water itself filtering it, etc.

This relates to the article I linked above: https://www.wkbn.com/news/local-new...sing-the-oil-sheen-in-east-palestine-streams/

Would you chance it if you lived there? Had kids?

I wouldn't chance it even if I didn't have kids. If I lived in that town, I'd be long gone by now. I'd walk away from whatever house I had, let it go to foreclosure or whatever and ruin my credit. I'd figure something out. I would not stay there.

I wouldn't chance it even if I didn't have kids. If I lived in that town, I'd be long gone by now. I'd walk away from whatever house I had, let it go to foreclosure or whatever and ruin my credit. I'd figure something out. I would not stay there.
DH said the same thing. We would be long gone as soon as it happened with or without the means. The stakes are too high not to.

Figured I would give some life to this since this is still very much an issue. Erin Brockovich visited this week to get it some attention and help the community understand their rights and what they are able to do.

There was a hearing held in PA where citizens experiencing issues or other concerns could "testify."

Here is the title of the hearing (if you want to google the video to see the citizens):
Republican Sen. Doug Mastriano led the hearing of the Veteran Affairs and Emergency Preparedness Committee at Beaver County Community College and invited numerous Pennsylvanians impacted by the derailment, in addition to local and state officials who led the response.

I got in trouble for the Russell Brand news coverage so I won't be posting any videos.

Same.

I agree although I think it sucks that in reality most people who are exposed to these types of things (such as massive sinkholes, chemical spills or heavy presence, etc) are sorta just left to figure it all out. One day you're living in your home and the next there's toxic chemicals or some land feature that has made it unsafe to live where you're at including chemicals or metals leeching into the ground, no one really expects that.

I agree although I think it sucks that in reality most people who are exposed to these types of things (such as massive sinkholes, chemical spills or heavy presence, etc) are sorta just left to figure it all out. One day you're living in your home and the next there's toxic chemicals or some land feature that has made it unsafe to live where you're at including chemicals or metals leeching into the ground, no one really expects that.

It's awful. And it often affects areas where the population has lower income. And I completely understand that...how hard it would be to leave everything behind, especially if you've scrapped and saved and possibly purchased a home. Even more so if you have family in the area.

At the same time, many of the homes aren't likely worth so much that it would be worth it to sell it for what you can get....and start over. The first thing I'd attempt to do would be to secure a job elsewhere...start there. Then, if I could rent out my home in the affected town...do that for a bit, rent elsewhere and start over.

As we all predicted, that town is now crawling with lawyers signing people up for class action suits. Just living in that environment alone, with the conspiracy theories, the potential for serious health effects, the mistrust of the company, government.....on and on. The potential for gun violence is likely risen, especially at any meetings where town, government or company officials are present. The toxicity on many different levels will hang over that town....forever. I would get out of there as soon as I possibly could.

Government agencies lie too.

Government agencies don't lie ... its the people in the government agencies that lie :)
(regardless of party)

True, (people in) government agencies can lie too. And have.

I think you have to consider the motivations in evaluating the likelihood of a lie. In this case, Norfolk Southern is motivated to lie in order to limit their liability, protect their assets, protect their shareholders, protect their stock price. What would the motivation be here for the EPA lie? I'm not really sure in this particular case.

It seems the most likely reason for someone in a government agency to lie is when that person has ties to an industry they're supposed to be regulating, observing, making rules for, etc. Think of how the FAA had some really close ties with Boeing right when the MAX 737 stuff happened, and perhaps were more lenient with Boeing with getting that aircraft approved. Or when a former executive of an oil country runs the department of energy, or for that matter if a former executive of a wind turbine company were to run it. All the more reason there should be safeguards in place to not populate oversight bodies with industry cronies that would have a conflict of interest in cases involving their own companies.

In my view, it seems like there is often more reason that a corporation would lie, vs. a government agency. The corporation answers to its shareholders. The government agency in theory should be answering to all of us.

Riddle me this riddle me that (AKA why Americans hate the news):

I'm American, why do I know more about Harry and William's thing that a US ecological disaster hurting
Americans?

Why is it the news spend less time on domestic US events than anything else?

Why isn't anyone asking why FEMA hasn't relocated these families? In other words, why are these people still there when we send so much US TAX money to save lives elsewhere?

Screen Shot 2023-02-25 at 5.09.26 PM.png

Last edited:
Well, you know that whole states rights thing? This is why FEMA couldn't go in to help until the Governor of Ohio ASKED for help. So, the delay there can be placed squarely on his shoulders for taking so long to declare an emergency and start the money flowing to help people.

States want autonomy and then people complain when the federal government stays out of their business in an emergency. You can't have it both ways. The people of Ohio got the state government they voted for.

And with that, I'm gonna shut up because I don't want points.
It’s been said over and over that this is not a situation that qualifies for fema

It’s been said over and over that this is not a situation that qualifies for fema

Fair enough. But it is still a valid point that the federal government cannot just swoop in and provide disaster relief until a state governor specifically declares an emergency and asks for help.

The governor should also understand the rules of FEMA relief and should have known this type of disaster would not fall under their responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter