• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

***OI Meetup***June 2-3, 2023

I know you did great!!! So, don't worry about it.......just have fun planning & then being there!!

I'm so bad at planning our food. We did try to not repeat from past times.
This a Mel's sounds great. I did see a taco bar at Cafe La Bamba that I want to try.

And I just saw coconut shrimp in Springfield fast food area.
Has anyone had the seafood at the Frying Dutchman????
We shall see, it was a hard test, but it's out of my hands now lol so I am trying not to think about it too much. We are all interested in trying La Bamba during the meetup, hopefully we'll remember to make it over to it lol. I have never had the Frying Dutchman, we always end up with burgers or chicken lol but maybe the young one might try coconut shrimp, esp if during meetup. I like to try things then I would not normally eat.
Well, last week, I started remembering how hot it was last June. I don't do heat well. 🥵 We did plan on midday hotel breaks but, I did have times I just had to sit down and get out of the heat.
So, I ordered chargeable neck fans..........they came in today & I'm impressed!!! Can't wait to test them out at the parks.

Do any of you use these? These seem pretty light weight. And not the kind that looks like small fans. I wouldn't trust my hair around those.
Oh yes June is hot for sure! My dd has a small neck fan that hangs down in front and blows up, but not the kind that just goes around your neck. We have had mister fans too in the past, but they are clunky and a pain at times. I have seen the ones you mean with the fans, and I am the same way, I think it's an accident waiting to happen if you have long hair.

We are now in the single digits until the meetup! 9 days to go! Whhooooooo!

My dd graduates tomorrow, so ready to be done. Yesterday they did a senior walk in their caps/gowns in their prior elem/middle school, and I did manage to keep the tears at bay. Tomorrow may be another story. We've been so busy I have yet to make it to the store for shoes, eeek. I am going to be doing a lot of walking between now and the time we leave to break some in. A week should be enough right'??? :/

How is everyone else doing??

And I just saw coconut shrimp in Springfield fast food area.
Has anyone had the seafood at the Frying Dutchman????
My husband and I got the bucket of bait (that includes the coconut shrimp) at the last meetup we went to and it was really good! I think it may actually be called basket of bait, but I always call it bucket! :) Enjoy!

One more week y’all! I am so excited!! Did you see the photos of the new tribute store? I cannot wait to go check it out. I love JP, so I am sure I will buy something lol

My dd graduated yesterday! 🎉 So glad it is over lol I mean I was excited but its just been stressful leading up to it.
361A518A-091F-46C4-938B-234F35EAED87.jpeg

Tomorrow is dh and I’s 23rd anniversary, which we celebrate while there. I think we are going to dinner and do some shopping for our trip. Still gotta get them shoes 🤣🤣🙈🙈

I also need to try and change our reservation for Hard Rock. My inlaws live in Venice and are driving up to see us for lunch.

This weekend begins the pulling out of all the summer clothes, see what still fits the kids or not lol and us. Gotta start laundry and put a hold on the mail while we are gone. Then start packing!! Yay!

OMG, what a great picture. Everyone looks so happy!! and Happy Anniversary!!!

I'm in MS at my mom's. She has had something going on & while driving over here yesterday, I was thinking I might have to cancel our trip >:(
She's 86 & was not herself.......very confused and couldn't even walk across the room without help. Which is not her, at all. We got her to the Dr & turns out, she has a really bad UTI. So, hopefully the antibiotics will help soon. She's had this 1 time before without normal symptoms (that I would think of). So, we didn't see this coming.
I'm not canceling now!!!....she has others here to watch her. Whew, if it had not been that, I could not have left her.

So, driving home tomorrow. I have all day Monday to pack. A funeral to attend on Tues and work on Wed. Luckily, our flight is after lunch time on Thurs so, I can sleep in some. Even though I know I won't....will be way too excited!!!

Can't believe we're in the final countdown!! I saw the restock of tshirts & went to order 3 but, even with paying extra for fast shipping, it said they would come in June 1........not soon enough for me. So, decided to save that money.

Did you see the photos of the new tribute store? I cannot wait to go check it out. I love JP, so I am sure I will buy something lol
I've been so caught up with mom & work, I haven't looked. I love JP, too!!!
I need to make sure we do the Raptor Encounter this time. It's a hit or miss for us.

Anybody else in an absolute time warp?

We leave on a flight at the *-crack-of-dawn on Thursday.

With our son’s high school graduation, grad party, and the Memorial Day holiday distracting us, it just hit me that I really only have 2 days to get organized and packed. Rut roh Shaggy!

Safe travels to everyone!!!

With our son’s high school graduation, grad party, and the Memorial Day holiday distracting us, it just hit me that I really only have 2 days to get organized and packed. Rut roh Shaggy!

We fly out Thursday night. But I also have nothing ready and I have to work every day and my kids have sports crap every night. So I'll be trying to leave early on Thursday and frantically packing. And we have to drop the dog at the boarder at 4. Our flight is at 8, but we are about 90 mins from the airport, not including rush hour traffic. STL is a reasonably small airport, so as long as we are there by 630 we should be fine. I just always worry about traffic, or if the parking garage is full or whatever. I have precheck so the kids and I get thru pretty quickly. The Hubs does not for the moment, so he has to go thru regular security.

Yep….. daughter just left from a visit this morning and we’re supposed to leave tomorrow early. I’ve got to get the packing and that includes washing clothes ;) luckily, it’s just me and my husband this time so my younger kids I don’t have to pack for :)

I read on the Informer Facebook page someone commented that a lot of times foodcarts start right when the park closes to guests which I did not know this since the email stated food starts at 9…… i’ve only been to one other one last November and we were on the globe side when the food started, but I didn’t notice any food carts given out food early, but there may have just not been any food carts around where we were at a time

OMG, what a great picture. Everyone looks so happy!! and Happy Anniversary!!!

I'm in MS at my mom's. She has had something going on & while driving over here yesterday, I was thinking I might have to cancel our trip >:(
She's 86 & was not herself.......very confused and couldn't even walk across the room without help. Which is not her, at all. We got her to the Dr & turns out, she has a really bad UTI. So, hopefully the antibiotics will help soon. She's had this 1 time before without normal symptoms (that I would think of). So, we didn't see this coming.
I'm not canceling now!!!....she has others here to watch her. Whew, if it had not been that, I could not have left her.

So, driving home tomorrow. I have all day Monday to pack. A funeral to attend on Tues and work on Wed. Luckily, our flight is after lunch time on Thurs so, I can sleep in some. Even though I know I won't....will be way too excited!!!

Can't believe we're in the final countdown!! I saw the restock of tshirts & went to order 3 but, even with paying extra for fast shipping, it said they would come in June 1........not soon enough for me. So, decided to save that money.
Aww thanks! We were lol glad it was done and we made it haha!
Oh my goodness, sorry to hear about your mom, but glad it was not super serious and yay for still getting to go on the trip! :D I have heard of UTI's doing that to people, it so odd, but good to know in case it happens again.
I don't blame you about the shirts, you can use that money to buy yourself a USO shirt instead lol

I've been so caught up with mom & work, I haven't looked. I love JP, too!!!
I need to make sure we do the Raptor Encounter this time. It's a hit or miss for us.
The store looks cool, there are at least 2 photo ops inside, one with the kitchen counter/kids and the other with the toilet lol if you look on fb and find some photos you'll see what I mean :D I love the Raptor encounter, it's a must do for me each time, even though I know what is going to happen, it is always a little different. Plus I love to watch other people hahah, esp when they aren't expecting things to happen.

Yes! I am washing clothes as we speak! We finally bought shoes the other day, working on breaking them in now. I need to find our lanyards and such from last summer, so that's all together as well. My dh is working today, taking the van in for a check up this afternoon. I am visiting my mom today as well. My dad's wheelchair broke the other day so we ordered another on amazon lol and it's supposed to be here today. I hope earlier than later but I am so worried it'll be late. It is in town now though, and out for delivery, so hopefully it will come before 9 pm tonight. He's an ampuatee and has a prosthetic leg but his leg was swollen and was struggling to get it on. The life of being a child with older parents.
We fly out Thursday night. But I also have nothing ready and I have to work every day and my kids have sports crap every night. So I'll be trying to leave early on Thursday and frantically packing. And we have to drop the dog at the boarder at 4. Our flight is at 8, but we are about 90 mins from the airport, not including rush hour traffic. STL is a reasonably small airport, so as long as we are there by 630 we should be fine. I just always worry about traffic, or if the parking garage is full or whatever. I have precheck so the kids and I get thru pretty quickly. The Hubs does not for the moment, so he has to go thru regular security.
Sounds like you're pretty busy too! Life is trying to keep us from getting ready for this fun trip! My kids keep begging for another pet/dog, but I am like I don't want to deal with the boarding, etc. I like being able to pick up and go! I am sure you'll get everything done. :)
Yep….. daughter just left from a visit this morning and we’re supposed to leave tomorrow early. I’ve got to get the packing and that includes washing clothes ;) luckily, it’s just me and my husband this time so my younger kids I don’t have to pack for :)

I read on the Informer Facebook page someone commented that a lot of times foodcarts start right when the park closes to guests which I did not know this since the email stated food starts at 9…… i’ve only been to one other one last November and we were on the globe side when the food started, but I didn’t notice any food carts given out food early, but there may have just not been any food carts around where we were at a time
Oh you are leaving earlier than most of us it seems. I debated about leaving tomorrow and driving to Valdosta and and arriving early on Thurs, which we normally do. I just felt like it was for the best to just leave Thurs and drive straight through...and I hope I don't regret it. We do not plan to go to the parks on Thurs anyway, we won't get there til late, about a 10 hour drive for us, 12 with stops for lunch/dinner/restroom etc. We take our time. I hope I can get a good night sleep and be ready to do the hotel switch Fri morning, maybe hit the parks for a couple hours and then rest until the meetup. I have my fingers and toes crossed that our room will be ready early on Fri.

In the past, we have seen some carts and restaurants start serving early. I guess it just depends on location and how fast the parks clears and if they have everything ready. I get why it's usually an hour after for the restaurants. They have to clean from the day, close out the money/sales for the day etc and prepare food for the night.

So our plan is to get up around 4 am..... and leave by 5 on Thurs morning. I say the plan loosely, because it might be later, but goal is to leave by 6 at the very latest. I am hoping since we are leaving on a Thurs the traffic won't be as bad as a weekend and it's far enough after Mem. Day for those people to already be home. Fingers crossed! I am taking a little longer track, as we are skipping driving through Atlanta on purpose lol.

If y'all see us, say hi! lol Hope everyone has a safe trip down and can't wait to 'see' you all at the meetup!

Don’t blame u for skipping atlanta…. That’s where we are coming from and I hate traffic here
We are leaving tomorrow because we are going to SeaWorld we have fun passes…. Well hubby has a season pass that’s so we can get free parking and the discounts

Sounds like you're pretty busy too! Life is trying to keep us from getting ready for this fun trip! My kids keep begging for another pet/dog, but I am like I don't want to deal with the boarding, etc. I like being able to pick up and go! I am sure you'll get everything done. :)
Yeah, we would do so much more if we didn't have a dog. This is the 1st time in 28 years we've only had 1 dog and it's nice. In the past we've had 3-4 dogs to deal with, so 1 isn't so bad lol. Sometimes I think when Luna dies we won't get another dog and see how it goes, but then I also can't imagine not having a dog, so idk what we'll do. It would be nice to just pack up and go when ever we wanted and be able to go and spend the night before wrestling tournaments instead of getting up at 4 am to be there by 730 for weigh ins. She's going to be 8 in August I think. Pitbulls only live generall 10-12 years, so we have a few more years with her yet.

So it looks like a good chance for rain both afternoons/evenings and a low of 70. This makes me have to think really hard about shoes and a park bag. I am team fanny pack bc I don't wanna care a back pack. But if there's a decent chance of rain, maybe I need a bigger bag for ponchos or umbrellas? Or spare shoes? I've only ever had a quick shower happen when I've been in florida, so I don't really know what makes the most sense. I'm hoping it's all over by 5 pm. Idk how my kids/husband will handle being soaked. Idk if they'll get all whiny and want to go back to the room, or if they'll wanna brave it. I don't mind the rain so much, except it sucks if you have to have glasses to see. I was prepared for hot and muggy lol.

Yeah, we would do so much more if we didn't have a dog. This is the 1st time in 28 years we've only had 1 dog and it's nice. In the past we've had 3-4 dogs to deal with, so 1 isn't so bad lol. Sometimes I think when Luna dies we won't get another dog and see how it goes, but then I also can't imagine not having a dog, so idk what we'll do. It would be nice to just pack up and go when ever we wanted and be able to go and spend the night before wrestling tournaments instead of getting up at 4 am to be there by 730 for weigh ins. She's going to be 8 in August I think. Pitbulls only live generall 10-12 years, so we have a few more years with her yet.
We have always had one too except the last several years. I just have adjusted to not having one, I do miss it, I think this is the longest in my life of no pets lol but it is nice to be able to just go. The kids beg all the time, send me links and such lol
So it looks like a good chance for rain both afternoons/evenings and a low of 70. This makes me have to think really hard about shoes and a park bag. I am team fanny pack bc I don't wanna care a back pack. But if there's a decent chance of rain, maybe I need a bigger bag for ponchos or umbrellas? Or spare shoes? I've only ever had a quick shower happen when I've been in florida, so I don't really know what makes the most sense. I'm hoping it's all over by 5 pm. Idk how my kids/husband will handle being soaked. Idk if they'll get all whiny and want to go back to the room, or if they'll wanna brave it. I don't mind the rain so much, except it sucks if you have to have glasses to see. I was prepared for hot and muggy lol.
I am hoping for no major rains while we are there. I have been peeking at our weather app, it keeps changing, it was 40% for both Fri and Sat, then 70% on Fri but still 40% on Sat... and honestly it can rain anywhere in Orlando and not hit USO, or it will rain 10 mins and that is 70% chance that it rained. I am packing rain jackets and bringing extra shoes and socks lol and hoping for the best. In June 21, we had a terrible thunderstorm on that Fri, I mean crazy lightening etc all before the meetup started and it rained until around 9 or so but after that it was fine. The good thing is the parks cleared out earlier from reg guests, bad thing that year was the bonus bites areas were almost out of food because people stayed indoors and kept eating and those who came in later, got very little and not great food choices. I like the cards much better!

My kids carry their own small backpacks with a water bottle and raingear, I carry a small backpack about the size of a loungefly with mine and dh's raincoat. It squishes into a locker fine. :)

Well, I am sad to say, I had to cancel our trip. While visiting my mom, she had a bad reaction to an antibiotic and I've been with her in the hospital since late Saturday night. She may be here a few more days before going to a rehab center.
Hope everyone has the best time!! Hopefully I'll be at the one in November!!
Please come back afterwards with a recap of the meet ups!

Ugh I know I was hoping for a weather shift! I’m really hoping it’s not as bad as it looks! My whole trip looks wet!!

Well, I am sad to say, I had to cancel our trip. While visiting my mom, she had a bad reaction to an antibiotic and I've been with her in the hospital since late Saturday night. She may be here a few more days before going to a rehab center.
Hope everyone has the best time!! Hopefully I'll be at the one in November!!
Please come back afterwards with a recap of the meet ups!
I am so sorry this happened, but grateful her situation presented now instead of when you were at the meetup. Cancelling is tough, but absolutely the right decision. Best wishes for a complete recovery.

Just checked in for Southwest flight. Trying to budget this trip so I did not purchase early bird. I was pleasantly surprised to get in the A30s for our first flight, and B20s for the STL leg.
It’s getting real!

am hoping for no major rains while we are there. I have been peeking at our weather app, it keeps changing, it was 40% for both Fri and Sat, then 70% on Fri but still 40% on Sat... and honestly it can rain anywhere in Orlando and not hit USO, or it will rain 10 mins and that is 70% chance that it rained. I am packing rain jackets and bringing extra shoes and socks lol and hoping for the best. In June 21, we had a terrible thunderstorm on that Fri, I mean crazy lightening etc all before the meetup started and it rained until around 9 or so but after that it was fine. The good thing is the parks cleared out earlier from reg guests, bad thing that year was the bonus bites areas were almost out of food because people stayed indoors and kept eating and those who came in later, got very little and not great food choices. I like the cards much better!

Ugh I know I was hoping for a weather shift! I’m really hoping it’s not as bad as it looks! My whole trip looks wet!!
I just watched the weather and there's the possibility of a Tropical Depression this weekend. Even if it doesn't form it can still produce heavy rainfall and gusty winds. :sad:

I just watched the weather and there's the possibility of a Tropical Depression this weekend. Even if it doesn't form it can still produce heavy rainfall and gusty winds. :sad:
Ugh! Can not catch a break! Mine and my daughters last 2 mother daughter trips all had extreme weather! Hopefully it goes off the sea and leaves us alone!!

Eta I know this is not a real problem, and I’m lucky to even get to do these trips! Still a bummer!

Ugh! Can not catch a break! Mine and my daughters last 2 mother daughter trips all had extreme weather! Hopefully it goes off the sea and leaves us alone!!

Eta I know this is not a real problem, and I’m lucky to even get to do these trips! Still a bummer!
Thats what I'm telling myself. At least with the rain, it is supposed to be cooler in the evenings. The feels like temp is supposed to be in the 73-80 range. At 5 both days it's supposed to feel like 82, but by 8 it's down to 77ish. Thats tolerable. And if it's raining, I might actually be chilly at that temp. Esp on rides or in the ac

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter