***OI Meetup***June 2-3, 2023

Well, I am sad to say, I had to cancel our trip. While visiting my mom, she had a bad reaction to an antibiotic and I've been with her in the hospital since late Saturday night. She may be here a few more days before going to a rehab center.
Hope everyone has the best time!! Hopefully I'll be at the one in November!!
Please come back afterwards with a recap of the meet ups!
Oh girl, I am so sorry :( I know how much you were looking forward to this trip with your gdd's! I am sorry your mom is still having some issues from the meds. I hope she recovers soon and all is okay. I hope you'll get to go in Nov, fingers and toes crossed! <3 Thinking of you all.
Ugh I know I was hoping for a weather shift! I’m really hoping it’s not as bad as it looks! My whole trip looks wet!!
Shhhh lol we are not talking about it. I am there until the 8th, so fingers crossed.
Just checked in for Southwest flight. Trying to budget this trip so I did not purchase early bird. I was pleasantly surprised to get in the A30s for our first flight, and B20s for the STL leg.
It’s getting real!
Awesome! yes today is our packing day, last minute washing, etc. Hoping I can get it all done!
I just watched the weather and there's the possibility of a Tropical Depression this weekend. Even if it doesn't form it can still produce heavy rainfall and gusty winds. :sad:
Boooo! I just checked my app, it says 70% Fri and 30% Sat currently but we know the weather can change on a dime. Temps in mid 80's, I will take all day, esp with some wind! I am still trying to think positive, I can do rain, just as long as no lightening. So maybe it will just be some passing showers time to time, and we can still really enjoy. What I am hoping is it rains early on before the park closes officially and clears out the non meetup folks and we can really enjoy a few extra hours of low times! Trying to think positive as I can!

On another note, I had to order a wheelchair for my dad and it was supposed to delivered yesterday, it never showed up. Had to go to post office this morning to find out what in the world is going on. It has to be here today, early, because we need to get it to him today. We plan to leave super early tomorrow since we are driving straight there. UGH.

We have almost everything washed, the kids have started packing. We told them about the hotel switches to the premiers with EP, they were super excited. We got our snacks for the trip, got a case of water for the hotel rooms, and wish it were already Thurs!

Keep your fingers and toes crossed for non torential rains!

I am so sorry this happened, but grateful her situation presented now instead of when you were at the meetup. Cancelling is tough, but absolutely the right decision. Best wishes for a complete recovery.
Thanks!!! yes, I'm glad it didn't happen while I was in Orlando.

Oh girl, I am so sorry :( I know how much you were looking forward to this trip with your gdd's! I am sorry your mom is still having some issues from the meds. I hope she recovers soon and all is okay. I hope you'll get to go in Nov, fingers and toes crossed! <3 Thinking of you all.
thanks!!! I know I will be in Orlando the days before the Nov Meetup, for work........so, I'm sure I will be doing some planning!!! Have a great time!!! please tell me all about it after you return!!

Noticed yesterday there were still all tickets available….is that usual? I thought they always sold out

So jealous!! Was thinking of you all & hoping weather was holding out. Hope you all had a wonderful time!!!

I'm still in MS with my mom at the rehab center. She is getting better just hope good enough to get back to living on her own again!!

Hope I can make it to the parks before the next meetup but, if not, I'll do November again!! I actually like it with Christmas stuff!! I'm finding out I'll be in Orlando the days before for work!! I won't know dates until August but, would really like to try the Mini Meetup!! Hoping to talk coworkers into it.

Anyways.......love the pictures!!! keep them coming!! I'm enjoying through you all :-)

Frances..that restroom sign in your Churo picture is too funny....LOL Can't believe they couldn't move over a little to get it out of the frame.

Had a great time at the meetup and really glad that we attended. It was our 2nd meetup - first was December 2021 and we did 2 nights each time.

While it was great and we only had minor issues, I have to say we are probably done for a while. Definitely the only way to do Universal for our budget and the value it provides.

A quick question for the group - do you find that the OI forum is scrubbed and overly sunshiney? I attempted to post an FYI based on an experience but it has not been approved. It got me to thinking and wondering how scrubbed their site may be. For example, someone called them out on the “random” marketing boxes they send to customers yesterday. To be fair they did acknowledge/correct that they were random and also sent to “influencers”.

So jealous!! Was thinking of you all & hoping weather was holding out. Hope you all had a wonderful time!!!

I'm still in MS with my mom at the rehab center. She is getting better just hope good enough to get back to living on her own again!!

Hope I can make it to the parks before the next meetup but, if not, I'll do November again!! I actually like it with Christmas stuff!! I'm finding out I'll be in Orlando the days before for work!! I won't know dates until August but, would really like to try the Mini Meetup!! Hoping to talk coworkers into it.

Anyways.......love the pictures!!! keep them coming!! I'm enjoying through you all :-)

Frances..that restroom sign in your Churo picture is too funny....LOL Can't believe they couldn't move over a little to get it out of the frame.
Hope your mom continues to head in the right direction!

Had a great time at the meetup and really glad that we attended. It was our 2nd meetup - first was December 2021 and we did 2 nights each time.

While it was great and we only had minor issues, I have to say we are probably done for a while. Definitely the only way to do Universal for our budget and the value it provides.

A quick question for the group - do you find that the OI forum is scrubbed and overly sunshiney? I attempted to post an FYI based on an experience but it has not been approved. It got me to thinking and wondering how scrubbed their site may be. For example, someone called them out on the “random” marketing boxes they send to customers yesterday. To be fair they did acknowledge/correct that they were random and also sent to “influencers”.
Unsure on the OI forum but would love to hear any experiences or thoughts you have here too! Its very hard to find detailed reviews/experiences of this event IMO.

Noticed yesterday there were still all tickets available….is that usual? I thought they always sold out
That's what they want you to think. It's brilliant marketing...build up a sense of FOMO so everyone buys tickets right away and they feel lucky just to get one. In reality you can probably just wait.

That's what they want you to think. It's brilliant marketing...build up a sense of FOMO so everyone buys tickets right away and they feel lucky just to get one. In reality you can probably just wait.
Well, last year for the winter meetups, the 2 day tickets for the 2nd Dec weekend sold out in under 2 minutes. Then the 2 day tickets for the first Dec weekend sold out within 3 minutes after that. The single day tickets and Nov 2 day tickets stayed available.

Then, weeks later they made more 2 day Dec tickets available (I forget which weekend, or it could have been both), but no longer at the original discounted rate. I inquired about switching my Nov tickets to the Dec dates, and was told that I'd have to pay the price increase so I opted to keep Nov. That's despite me buying the Nov tickets about 6-7 minutes after they came available, when the others were already sold out.

So they do have tickets available for quite a long time, possibly never actually sell out, especially for just Fri night. But the discounted 2 day tickets can go very quickly and you may be unable to get that rate if you can't snag them in that initial drop. I don't think the Summer event has the same amount of draw as the Winter weekends do (hence why one weekend suffices for summer, and they need 3 for winter).

Definitely think overly shiney…….. and even more so that you have showed me your experience with trying to post there…… although I like the meetups, I don’t think they’re as overly great as everybody on the forum makes them out to be…… The more popular rides still have a good amount of wait unless you just catch them at the right time and some of the food items that people rave about on there I was kind of taken aback when I actually tried them I was like I don’t even wanna take another bite, and I’m not no fancy foodie at all……
I also think the hype of eating whatever you want is overdone because you can only eat(and drink) so much in three hours Unless your a young teenage boy lol and it’s basically only three hours because that’s when all the good food is done after that it’s off the carts and honestly by that time you’re usually too full to even think about eating a plain old hotdog or churro

this meetup up I didn’t get to ride as much as I did last year. Unfortunately, weather related issues kept the coasters down for quite a bit of a time we were there :( I think I definitely would not go back in June anymore since storms are more prevailant……..

I told my husband next time we should just get season passes. We did that a few years ago and it’s just a more relaxed feel I mean you do have to wait in lines but if you have the time to spend a few days there, we just don’t feel as rushed….. Plus, we can go back a few times a year. They have great AP rates at the hotels

Last edited:
Definitely think overly shiney…….. and even more so that you have showed me your experience with trying to post there…… although I like the meetups, I don’t think they’re as overly great as everybody on the forum makes them out to be…… The more popular rides still have a good amount of wait unless you just catch them at the right time and some of the food items that people rave about on there I was kind of taken aback when I actually tried them I was like I don’t even wanna take another bite, and I’m not no fancy foodie at all……
I also think the hype of eating whatever you want is overdone because you can only eat(and drink) so much in three hours Unless your a young teenage boy lol and it’s basically only three hours because that’s when all the good food is done after that it’s off the carts and honestly by that time you’re usually too full to even think about eating a plain old hotdog or churro

this meetup up I didn’t get to ride as much as I did last year. Unfortunately, weather related issues kept the coasters down for quite a bit of a time we were there :( I think I definitely would not go back in June anymore since storms are more prevailant……..

I told my husband next time we’re just gonna get season passes. We did that a few years ago and it’s just a more relaxed feel I mean you do have to wait in lines but if you have the time to spend a few days there, we just don’t feel as rushed….. Plus, we can go back a few times a year. They have great AP rates at the hotels
I asked a legitimate park question there and it never even got posted. Meanwhile the "selfie celebrities" posted half-a-dozen pictures of themselves. Definitely a lot of favoritism going on.

This was our first meetup and I definitely felt like it was a pretty good value for what we got from the 2-day ticket. Much of the food was just so-so, but there was a ton of it. The Thunder Falls Terrace and Florean Fortescue’s Ice Cream were the highlights for me- along with the hot butter beer. We were able to do all of the big rides that we wanted (hagrid’s and velocicoaster), but there were several that were “down” temporarily. I also really enjoyed the lack of crowds and just getting to kind of walk through everything. We got our own ride vehicle for ET and it was so nice.

I did not think the bread pudding from Finnegan’s lived up to the hype that everyone has for it, and it had quite the line when we were there. Also, contrary to what a bunch of the vloggers said, we don’t think you have to get in at 5pm as soon as you can. 5pm to 1:30am makes for a really long day in the summer- and I can’t go from 5pm to 9pm without eating something substantial 😂.

Worst thing I ate was actually in the 3 broomsticks with the shepherds pie. They had two different lines- one with mini pies and one with like a catering size pie they were scooping from. We got sent to the scooping side and it was mushy and gross.

I’m definitely not a huge Universal fan like I am with WDW, but there are certainly some good things there and hope that it gets better. The OI staff were really good and most of the UO staff as well.

The weather ended up being amazing our entire trip minus the Wed before we left. Even then, it was only a brief thunderstorm for an hour in the afternoon and then it cleared up. We had a fabulous time, I will make another post below about our trip :) The restroom sign yes lol every single time lol hahah but it makes me giggle :D

Sorry to hear you had issues :( We absolutely love the meetups for the price and walk on rides. I think our only issue was they (park security) did not clear the parks fast enough IMO. We were in HP area and it was 9 pm and tons of people still walking around without wrist bands. They were not letting in people that did not have them but they did not make a point to get rid of them. I did put that in my survey that they send out.

I think the fb group is meant to be a positive place. From what I can tell they want people to email them about issues so they can address them and hopefully correct them for future issues. I have seen plenty of unhappyish post over the years that I have been in the group though. I don’t know how often they approve posts, sometimes I will post something (fun and happy) and it takes days to post. I try not to put too much stock into the posts.

I did see the post about the boxes as well, and I am not surprised in the least they send to influencers as well as random members. I mean OI is a business and they do it to build their brand etc. I got a box last winter when they gave out clues about the 2023 meetups, I was 100% surprised when it showed up on my front porch!

Unsure on the OI forum but would love to hear any experiences or thoughts you have here too! Its very hard to find detailed reviews/experiences of this event IMO.
I am going to make a post later about our trip on this thread, and hopefully will go into details. :) I try to come back and do that each time, but sometimes life happens LOL
I think generally speaking, tickets stay for sale, but there was the one winter ticket sale that literally went sold out within minutes. They have made changes and added more meetup dates for winter to accommodate.

I told my husband next time we should just get season passes. We did that a few years ago and it’s just a more relaxed feel I mean you do have to wait in lines but if you have the time to spend a few days there, we just don’t feel as rushed….. Plus, we can go back a few times a year. They have great AP rates at the hotels
I think that the more people who find out about the events, the more ticket sales, the longer lines. This last time, we never waited on a ride, everything was walk on, minus hagrids. My girls waited an hour to ride, they got in line at 8 and was off by 9. That was the night HP was still crawling with people that were not part of the meetup. I don’t think they closed the lines down soon enough.

The lightining delays were a pain, I agree. My girls got in lines several times and once got on the ride to only be pulled because of the possible storms. We know going in June, it could be an issue. We also are there for more than just the meetup, so we have other days to ride. I feel the storm issue was more of the Fri night only, but maybe I can’t remember?

We ended up with Ap’s, since we knew were wanted to do more than just the meetup for my dd’s grad trip. We hope to go back in Feb for Mardi Gras, as we have never been. Plus maybe we’ll make another late May trip before they expire.

I asked a legitimate park question there and it never even got posted. Meanwhile the "selfie celebrities" posted half-a-dozen pictures of themselves. Definitely a lot of favoritism going on.
:( That’s not cool. I think some people are on pre-approved posting, but very small amount of them.
thanks...she seems to be getting better every day!!!
I'm home in AL now and have my tickets & room for Nov meetup!!
Yay, so glad you are home! I hope your mom is doing better :)
This was our first meetup and I definitely felt like it was a pretty good value for what we got from the 2-day ticket. Much of the food was just so-so, but there was a ton of it. The Thunder Falls Terrace and Florean Fortescue’s Ice Cream were the highlights for me- along with the hot butter beer. We were able to do all of the big rides that we wanted (hagrid’s and velocicoaster), but there were several that were “down” temporarily. I also really enjoyed the lack of crowds and just getting to kind of walk through everything. We got our own ride vehicle for ET and it was so nice.

I did not think the bread pudding from Finnegan’s lived up to the hype that everyone has for it, and it had quite the line when we were there. Also, contrary to what a bunch of the vloggers said, we don’t think you have to get in at 5pm as soon as you can. 5pm to 1:30am makes for a really long day in the summer- and I can’t go from 5pm to 9pm without eating something substantial 😂.

Worst thing I ate was actually in the 3 broomsticks with the shepherds pie. They had two different lines- one with mini pies and one with like a catering size pie they were scooping from. We got sent to the scooping side and it was mushy and gross.

I’m definitely not a huge Universal fan like I am with WDW, but there are certainly some good things there and hope that it gets better. The OI staff were really good and most of the UO staff as well.
I did not love the food choices this time for a lot of places. I mean there was plenty I could eat and we did eat the things that were our favs. I was just surprised that some places like Mels did not have regular burgers for instance. I did get an apple pie and milk shake though, delish! I missed the bread pudding this year, did not even make it into Finnegans, but sometimes it has been better than others. I personally do not like the buffet style meals they do either. I want to order something specific and get it single serve.

We did not go until about 6-7 both nights, because people do line up so early and such. I rather go after they let the masses go through and then it’s walk in lol If I were going just for the meetup, I may try to go as early as possible, but otherwise, nope!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter