OK DISers. Do you know someone personally that has the Virus?

Do You know someone personally with the Virus?

• yes

Votes: 273 55.3%
  • no

Votes: 203 41.1%
  • other

Votes: 18 3.6%

• Total voters
Think about that - still, as of today, you cannot get tested even if you show all of the symptoms of this unless you have traveled internationally or been exposed to someone known to have it. I think that NY is the lone exception because they decided to walk away from the US testing altogether and follow their own protocols (none of our cases is in NY). The bolded part is a self-fulfilling circle of madness. You can't get tested unless you know someone who had this, but they can't know because they also can't get tested. Madness.
That's not quite true.

For my state here's the qualifications:

~History of travel from Hubei Province, China within 14 days of symptom onset AND Fever* and lower respiratory illness (cough or shortness of breath)
~History of travel from any country with a CDC Alert Level 2 or Warning Level 3 travel advisory+ within 14 days of symptom onset AND Fever* and lower respiratory illness (cough or shortness of breath)
~Close contact^ with a person that has laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 and developed symptoms within 14 days of contact AND Fever* or lower respiratory symptoms (cough or shortness of breath)
~No source of exposure has been identified AND Fever with severe acute lower respiratory illness (e.g., pneumonia, ARDS) and without alternative explanatory diagnosis (e.g., influenza)

The underlined pertains more to your comment.

The document I got my information from was last updated yesterday.

I found this source to give at least some information about each state but some states, like mine, just list to go to the Health Department (or appropriate department/entity). https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...s-according-state-health-departments-n1158041 Reading that list there are other qualifications being used for different states to be able to be tested. This I'm sure is because states now have that ability to test rather than initally being much more strict with the CDC. I see multiple states using more criteria than just international travel and known exposure to someone who has it.

As resources allow for I'm sure we'll be able to expand our testing abilities in general but I do understand right now focusing on who is actively showing syptoms. Catching the spreaders is just as important and hopefully we can do that but I understand the need now to focus on one thing and then expand to another.

That's not quite true.

For my state here's the qualifications:

~History of travel from Hubei Province, China within 14 days of symptom onset AND Fever* and lower respiratory illness (cough or shortness of breath)
~History of travel from any country with a CDC Alert Level 2 or Warning Level 3 travel advisory+ within 14 days of symptom onset AND Fever* and lower respiratory illness (cough or shortness of breath)
~Close contact^ with a person that has laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 and developed symptoms within 14 days of contact AND Fever* or lower respiratory symptoms (cough or shortness of breath)
~No source of exposure has been identified AND Fever with severe acute lower respiratory illness (e.g., pneumonia, ARDS) and without alternative explanatory diagnosis (e.g., influenza)

The underlined pertains more to your comment.

The document I got my information from was last updated yesterday.

I found this source to give at least some information about each state but some states, like mine, just list to go to the Health Department (or appropriate department/entity). https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...s-according-state-health-departments-n1158041 Reading that list there are other qualifications being used for different states to be able to be tested. This I'm sure is because states now have that ability to test rather than initally being much more strict with the CDC. I see multiple states using more criteria than just international travel and known exposure to someone who has it.

As resources allow for I'm sure we'll be able to expand our testing abilities in general but I do understand right now focusing on who is actively showing syptoms. Catching the spreaders is just as important and hopefully we can do that but I understand the need now to focus on one thing and then expand to another.
Thank - so now more than just NY is doing this. That is a hopeful sign. But until everyone who wants to be tested can be tested, we have to assume that everyone has it. Every single person.

Thank - so now more than just NY is doing this. That is a hopeful sign. But until everyone who wants to be tested can be tested, we have to assume that everyone has it. Every single person.
Sure but I think we probably thought so already within the last week or so. In the interests though of reality here in the U.S. at this time, people will need to go about their daily lives, using the precautionary measures and advice given out, even if they think in the back of their head "I could have it and not know it".

Also just because you were tested once does not mean you have no way of catching it. So even if I decide "ya know I'd like to be tested" and I go do that, if the test comes back negative it doesn't mean I won't get it at some point later down the road. No testing capabilities is going to remove that known risk of later having it within your system.

Sure but I think we probably thought so already within the last week or so. In the interests though of reality here in the U.S. at this time, people will need to go about their daily lives, using the precautionary measures and advice given out, even if they think in the back of their head "I could have it and not know it".

Also just because you were tested once does not mean you have no way of catching it. So even if I decide "ya know I'd like to be tested" and I go do that, if the test comes back negative it doesn't mean I won't get it at some point later down the road. No testing capabilities is going to remove that known risk of later having it within your system.
The bars and restaurants are packed around the country for St Patricks Day. Too many people are ignoring this.

I live about an hour from Seattle and work about 20 minutes away. Still don't know anybody who has it. Closest I have that I know of is 3 degrees of separation: I had a conversation with someone who had a conversation with someone who hung out with someone who had it. And that was now 15 days ago. (I have to admit, it seemed unlikely, but I'm breathing modestly easier this morning.)

My brother lives in San Diego. A nasty respiratory virus ran through his house a few weeks ago. All his kids got it, and he just got over it. Was sick for 2 full weeks. It fit all the symptoms for Covid-19. His wife has it now, and they are going to get her tested.
Are they military by any chance?

The bars and restaurants are packed around the country for St Patricks Day. Too many people are ignoring this.
Ok... :confused3

That's not what I was talking about when I said live your daily lives. I mean we can't just separate each person from another stay holed up in our homes never leaving for months and months. That's not realistic at all.

As far as what you're talking about I'm not really jumping for joy over the prospect of many businesses ceasing to exist so again you're quite simplistic with your statements. Restaurants and other businesses in my area are trying to limit the number of patrons, trying to discourage large groups of people walking around (I know the mall is doing that), trying to do this and that. It's a fine line between that and no patronage at all.

We all know much more about precautions we can take (keeping larger groups away from each other, limit our physical contact as in handshakes and the like, limit travel, limit going out in comparison to going out all the time, practice good hygiene especially washing our hands frequently and correctly, etc) and many of us need to continue to do that, at the same time I'm not going to separate myself from my husband and go live off the grid either. For me I'm actively keeping myself away from my step-father-in-law who is the most at risk and he is a person I would consider should much more limit his outside exposure and in turn I will limit my exposure to him.

I know I’m having trouble convincing one of my 23 year olds that this is serious and he needs to isolate. I’m very frustrated by it and am to the point that I feel I need to tell him that he can’t come for visits if he refuses to stay out of public places.

I saw some interesting data out of S Korea which showed the 20-29 age group as the age group with the percentage of highest positive tests.

I know I’m having trouble convincing one of my 23 year olds that this is serious and he needs to isolate. I’m very frustrated by it and am to the point that I feel I need to tell him that he can’t come for visits if he refuses to stay out of public places.

I saw some interesting data out of S Korea which showed the 20-29 age group as the age group with the percentage of highest positive tests.
I think it varies from place to place. We don't have near enough data here to extrapolate out what another countries's info shows. Not to mention different areas have different makes ups.

I was reading about CO last night, mainly because a little over a month ago we went skiing there, and in their state it's kinda evenly split..at the moment:
Age of individuals:
• Teenage – 3
• 20s – 5
• 30s – 14
• 40s – 15
• 50s – 14
• 60s – 11
• 70s – 11
• 80s – 4
Those are the people considered positive, that's not the amount of people they've tested which is at least 600+.

In my state the youngest who has known to be positive is 35, though a parent in a neighboring school district has tested positive it's not know her age. The first case was a woman just under 50, three others were from the same conference in FL and age ranges were 35-60 I believe, 5th case was a man who passed away and test done after he was in his 70s, and another was a man in his 70s, and the newest one the age hasn't been released but it's someone affliated with the Junior college here (though they've made it clear the College isn't deemed a risk). I'm sure the ages will be all over the place as times comes. Just not enough data.

I think it varies from place to place. We don't have near enough data here to extrapolate out what another countries's info shows. Not to mention different areas have different makes ups.

I was reading about CO last night, mainly because a little over a month ago we went skiing there, and in their state it's kinda evenly split..at the moment:
Age of individuals:
• Teenage – 3
• 20s – 5
• 30s – 14
• 40s – 15
• 50s – 14
• 60s – 11
• 70s – 11
• 80s – 4

In my state the youngest who has known to be positive is 35, though a parent in a neighboring school district has tested positive it's not know her age. The first case was a woman just under 50, three others were from the same conference in FL and age ranges were 35-60 I believe, 5th case was a man who passed away and test done after he was in his 70s, and another was a man in his 70s, and the newest one the age hasn't been released but it's someone affliated with the Junior college here (though they've made it clear the College isn't deemed a risk). I'm sure the ages will be all over the place as times comes. Just not enough data.
It probably is not very different - what varies is the testing SKorea tested everyone. No one else is doing that. I trust the SKorea data over all other data in the world right now.

It probably is not very different - what varies is the testing SKorea tested everyone. No one else is doing that. I trust the SKorea data over all other data in the world right now.
I didn't say anything about not trusting their data did I? I said we don't have near enough data to extrapolate and apply it here, not enough time nor data.

I didn't say anything about not trusting their data did I? I said we don't have near enough data to extrapolate and apply it here, not enough time nor data.
We have a ton of data. Plenty to draw assumptions and model our behavior. That is all that matters right now. Modeling our behavior to help slow the spread.

We have a ton of data. Plenty to draw assumptions and model our behavior. That is all that matters right now. Modeling our behavior to help slow the spread.
What data from the U.S. reflects that the ages 20-29 are the ones testing positive at the highest level in every single state in the U.S. that has cases?

I think you're trying to talk about something that isn't what I'm talking about.

What data from the U.S. reflects that the ages 20-29 are the ones testing positive at the highest level in every single state in the U.S. that has cases?

I think you're trying to talk about something that isn't what I'm talking about.
Maybe we are talking past one another. I'll just drop it. But if you are waiting on data in the US, don't hold your breath. Until they test everyone like they are doing in South Korea, the stats are totally meaningless.

I look at the stats in South Korea because they are the only ones in thw world right now testing everyone - including the asymptomatic. Dr Fausi just said, 5 minutes ago, that we should not test people who are asymptomatic. We probably never will because insurance and the government will never pay for testing for asymptomatic people.

There is no other country which shows this age group is testing positive at a higher rate. That’s what makes the data interesting. SKorea is testing everyone so the interpretation is that this age group are asymptomatic spreaders or they are getting only mild symptoms. Here’s the graph as compared to Italy, which only tests the sick. I’ll look for a source if I have time later.

Maybe we are talking past one another. I'll just drop it. But if you are waiting on data in the US, don't hold your breath. Until they test everyone like they are doing in South Korea, the stats are totally meaningless.

I look at the stats in South Korea because they are the only ones in thw world right now testing everyone - including the asymptomatic. Dr Fausi just said, 5 minutes ago, that we should not test people who are asymptomatic. We probably never will because insurance and the government will never pay for testing for asymptomatic people.
I'm not necessarily waiting for data in the U.S. I'm just saying that not all countries nor all portions of the U.S. have the same make up of people.

For your testing if you look back to that article I posted some of the states are listing if you aren't able to get tested through your doctor, or health department whoever they are telling you to go to first there are some commercial testing facilities in certain states you can go to. I don't know the specifics on cost when it's like that just providing the info.

There is no other country which shows this age group is testing positive at a higher rate. That’s what makes the data interesting. SKorea is testing everyone so the interpretation is that this age group are asymptomatic spreaders or they are getting only mild symptoms. Here’s the graph as compared to Italy, which only tests the sick. I’ll look for a source if I have time later.
View attachment 481048
I wasn't doubting your stats on South Korea so apologies if that part got mixed up.

I was saying that in relation to the U.S. as it appeared you may have been making a connection to your 23 year old son and your implorance on for him to isolate. I think it would be prudent for your son to practice social distance I just don't know, yet,if we can say the positive rates in the highest number is to blame on 20-29 year olds in every state in the U.S.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter