OK how creative can you be with gift giving?

alizesmom

Dreaming of Disney.
DS5 has significant brain damage and is a young infant mentally. Already has more clothes, stuffed animals, musical toys and CDs than a toy store. Legally blind so movies no good. I really would like to have something special under the tree. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to give me a fantastic idea.

What is he able to do physically? Is he able to sit up or stand. When you say young infant, how young? 3 months or 12 months? This information might help to come up with ideas.

What are his sensory preferences? Would he like some scented lotion for a massage? Or something that vibrates (like a pillow or a toy of some kind). Does he like music, would he like an ipod so he can take his favorite tunes everywhere?

How are his motor skills? I know a lot of kids who enjoy exploring texture, and also filling and dumping, could you do scarf sized pieces of different fabrics (silk, velvet, fleece, etc . . . ), with a container of some sort?

Would he like an experience -- swimming, or therapeutic riding, or a concert?

Maybe a small inflatable bouncer or ball pit.

There are also mini kid's trampolines with a bar to hold on to, but I don't know if that would be something appropriate because of his eyesight.

Also, maybe a toy pet would be something fun for him. One that makes sounds and responds.

Wow! Keep them coming. More information. He is much like a 2-3 month old. Does not sit, stand nor roll over. Left side is paralyzed, is tube fed and uses a ventilator. Sorry if that was TMI.

Don't apologize! Anybody who thinks it's TMI wouldn't have read this far. As crazyme5kids indicated, the more that's known, the more appropriate the responses will be.

My brother's favorite gifts growing up, were mega blocks (he's a bit more capable than your's), a Thomas the Train pillow that would make a choo choo noise when you pushed on the front of him. He used to hug that pillow every night to go to sleep. And even 5 years later... very very very faint he could still hear it. The final toy was a bumble ball. He loved holding onto it to feel it shake. Never wanted to put it down.

I would go with a pillow that makes noise, so he can hear it when he lays down on it. He'll probably get the hang of being able to turn his head slightly to set it off again.

What about "more" music?? An IPOD nano, some children's music, classical, rain, etc., and a set of headphones?? You could even "read" a few books and load them on there, I think.
Legally blind? Does he have some light/dark and color perception?? Maybe just simple infant light up toys or one of those toys that project on the ceiling of the bedroom at night?? He may still enjoy what he can see.

How about a wagon with soft padding so he can be comfortable and some bells on it to hear jingle as he is taken on a walk.

Or a bubble machine. He might not be able to see the bubbles but he could hear the machine and you could help him catch them.

I love the swing idea. The pillow that makes sounds when pushed or squished sounds good too.

God Bless to all and Happy Holidays

Do you think he could work with a very simple cause and effect switch?

One of my favorite switches is the bead curtain one. Basically it's like those hippy bead curtains, and if you move the beads it activates something electronic. I wonder if you could put it on his wheelchair tray, and put his good right hand through the beads. Then hook it up to either something that makes music, or something that vibrates, whichever he likes better. If he moves his hand at all, the music or vibration will start for a minute and then stop. If he wants more, he needs to move again.

If the bead curtain isn't good for him, you can find other ones that are operated in other ways, by leaning his head to the side, or by touching a button. Lots of choices.

I think for a child with little control of their environment, learning to operate a switch can be a powerful thing.

You said musical toys but what about a CD player and some classical music CD's--or any music CD's for that matter? Music is often used in various forms of therapy and it's soothing and stimulating at the same time. As babies my kids LOVED to listen to classical CD's.

Also, does he have ANY eyesight? Is it correctable with glasses? If so, one thing my kids like as babies was watching talk shows, Oprah, etc. I think they liked that there were so many "face" shots and it looked like they were talking to them. Maybe similar shows on DVD with a large tv?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter