Ok, I need a HA, due to mobility issues

bobbiwoz

I'm happy to dance with you!
But if they have a shower chair and I could sit while taking a shower, I think it could work. Do they have a shower chair? I’m mostly interested because I want to book a last minute three night cruise. Looking for a bargain!

Thanks.

I think the odds of getting a HA room at the last minute are very slim. Available HA rooms end up assigned to guests that book GTY cabins closer to the sail date. Our cruise is next month and we already received our GTY assignment and we were assigned a HA extended verandah.

I think the odds of getting a HA room at the last minute are very slim. Available HA rooms end up assigned to guests that book GTY cabins closer to the sail date. Our cruise is next month and we already received our GTY assignment and we were assigned a HA extended verandah.
I understand that, and would be willing to book GTY if shower chairs are available from Room Steward!

I understand that, and would be willing to book GTY if shower chairs are available from Room Steward!
It sounds like there are shower stools available for use in any guest room, not just in the HA rooms, but there is a limited quantity on board. Someone asked about this on planDisney and the response suggested calling ahead to see if there will be one available, and if you notify DCL ahead of your sailing they can have one in your room for you when you embark.

But if they have a shower chair and I could sit while taking a shower, I think it could work. Do they have a shower chair? I’m mostly interested because I want to book a last minute three night cruise. Looking for a bargain!

Thanks.
I'm new and I haven't been on a cruise yet, but I think the ships that have circular showers have a big enough shelf area for an adult to sit there with their feet in the bathtub. That would solve some but not all of the same issues a shower chair solves.

Thank you for asking, I am in a similar situation.

Sorry, I don't think I phrased that very well. I wasn't suggesting to book GTY. I meant I wouldn't chance being able to book a HA room at the last minute because ones that were not specifically booked earlier would likely be assigned to GTY. You run the risk of calling to book last minute and not having one available to you because it was already assigned to a GTY if room asignments have already occured for that sailing.

Typically, a HA shower has a bench - because they are not staying in their wheelchair in the shower.

But I do find pictures of HA cabins without the bench - certainly, they have enough shower benches! If not, it might mean sitting on the toilet - like a wet bathroom in an RV; just move the toilet paper.

Which ship(s) are you considering?

But I do find pictures of HA cabins without the bench
I believe all HA rooms should have a fold-down bench in the shower. Separate shower chairs/stools would primarily be for someone requesting one who doesn't have an HA room. I suppose it's possible the bench breaks and the immediate fix is a separate chair/stool.

As for pictures not showing the bench, it may be folded up against the wall and hidden from view by the shower curtain.

But the PP isn't booking an HA room -- she is asking about booking a regular stateroom and requesting a chair/stool. That should be possible, but depending on how "last-minute" it could be important to contact DCL in advance to make sure the request can be met. If not, there are somewhat portable units available that one could breakdown for travel; I don't have specific experience on how sturdy or reliable is that option.

We were able to get a shower chair for my mom on our last cruise but it didn't help much. It was a tiny chair that took up basically the whole shower. And the sides of the tub were much taller than her knees could handle. THEN we discovered the HA shower in the spa. Had a nice chat with the folks there and they were fine with her going there to shower. (We had several spa appointments on the books.) Might be another option to consider....

Adult guests are welcome to use the showers in the Spa locker room, even if they don't have spa appointments booked.
Yeah, I know that and you know that, but my mom felt weird about it so that's how she justified it. LOL

I believe all HA rooms should have a fold-down bench in the shower. Separate shower chairs/stools would primarily be for someone requesting one who doesn't have an HA room. I suppose it's possible the bench breaks and the immediate fix is a separate chair/stool.

As for pictures not showing the bench, it may be folded up against the wall and hidden from view by the shower curtain.

But the PP isn't booking an HA room -- she is asking about booking a regular stateroom and requesting a chair/stool. That should be possible, but depending on how "last-minute" it could be important to contact DCL in advance to make sure the request can be met. If not, there are somewhat portable units available that one could breakdown for travel; I don't have specific experience on how sturdy or reliable is that option.

Just for my own sanity, I reread this the other day - noting her post implied was talking about using a shower chair in a regular stateroom.

Skimming along the thread titles today, I noticed the thread is “Okay, I need a HA,…” and just read the body of the post as a continuation of that thought.

And had found this picture of a HA shower - and did wonder if it was somehow hidden, but concluded that was unlikely, as it needs a strong support.

IMG_4379.jpeg

For my own sanity, I decided to post this reply.

And I think it is a possibility the supply of shower chairs may be lacking.

@cincystamper @Mommb Love the reminder about the spa restrooms. My sister likes them for the roominess - I hadn’t noticed they had ones outfitted with a bench; Nice inclusion there.

Sorry, I don't think I phrased that very well. I wasn't suggesting to book GTY. I meant I wouldn't chance being able to book a HA room at the last minute because ones that were not specifically booked earlier would likely be assigned to GTY. You run the risk of calling to book last minute and not having one available to you because it was already assigned to a GTY if room asignments have already occured for that sailing.
Wouldn't the gty who doesn't need the ha room be relocated if someone actually disabled needed the room?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter