• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OK, Locals…What About Rain?

Tinkaboo

DIS Veteran
My phone is showing 40% chance of rain for next weekend…the weekend of Candlelight Processional. Our rezzies for Fantasmic are for Saturday. I’ve been enough times when they cancel fireworks for wind, but how bad does the weather have to be to cancel Fantasmic?

How about CP? If it’s just drizzle, do they go with it?

Does rain still affect attendance by locals? I’m guessing that’s a Big Fat No in this day of reservations and black out dates for various keys.

As always, TIA for your responses. I’m guessing we’re in for some crowds but we’ll be there 5 days and will have ample time for what we plan to do. It’s also Candy Cane weekend so there’s that, too…

I can't answer your specific questions; however, I'm local and looking at the forecast now and it's down to a low 20something% chance. I'm willing to bet it's not gonna rain. If it did, I'm one local who wouldn't go.

For CP, if there's a drizzle, they cancel it due to the musical instruments.

Years ago, when we were lucky to win CP seats for annual passholders (well, friends of ours won and they invited us to attend with them), we had the Allstate guy as the reader. It drizzled and CP was cancelled due to the musical instruments needing to remain dry.

My phone is showing 40% chance of rain for next weekend…the weekend of Candlelight Processional. Our rezzies for Fantasmic are for Saturday. I’ve been enough times when they cancel fireworks for wind, but how bad does the weather have to be to cancel Fantasmic?

How about CP? If it’s just drizzle, do they go with it?

Does rain still affect attendance by locals? I’m guessing that’s a Big Fat No in this day of reservations and black out dates for various keys.

As always, TIA for your responses. I’m guessing we’re in for some crowds but we’ll be there 5 days and will have ample time for what we plan to do. It’s also Candy Cane weekend so there’s that, too…

Check the forecast two days out. Seriously. The weather here changes on a dime.

Check the forecast two days out. Seriously. The weather here changes on a dime.
As does the Colorado weather…just hoping I don’t lose out on my Fantasmic night after paying $40 for a hamburger…oh, well, that’s Disney!

Last edited:
As does the Colorado weather…just hoping I don’t lose out on my Fantasmic night after paying $40 for a hamburger…oh, we’ll, that’s Disney!

I know. It’s so messed up that they don’t do refunds if weather cancels the show…… being that it’s Anaheim you have a lower chance of it not raining than raining. So that’s good! We’re hoping for no rain as well…. Our little beach town has its downtown Christmas extravaganza that night and we want to go!

…Years ago, when we were lucky to win CP seats for annual passholders (well, friends of ours won and they invited us to attend with them), we had the Allstate guy as the reader. It drizzled and CP was cancelled due to the musical instruments needing to remain dry.
Dennis Haysbert had several performances rained out :headache:

Properly prepared with full rain gear, a stormy day in the parks can be very fun.
World of Color will run even in a torrential downpour :goodvibes

Fantasmic will NOT run in any amount of rain. It's unsafe for the performers.

CP will also be cancelled for rain, as mentioned. World of Color will go, as there are no "performers" and the fireworks will go in light rain, but not heavy. No Christmas Fantasy parade in even light rain either.

The forecast is wishy washy right now. It will firm up by Thursday. If it is showing ANY chance of rain Saturday (by Thursday) you can pretty much consider that a guarantee.

And yes, even with reservations, locals will bail out on rainy days. We have a reservation for next Saturday and if it's rainy there is ZERO chance we will go. We will decide by Friday night, based on the forecast for Saturday.

Fantasmic will NOT run in any amount of rain. It's unsafe for the performers.

CP will also be cancelled for rain, as mentioned. World of Color will go, as there are no "performers" and the fireworks will go in light rain, but not heavy. No Christmas Fantasy parade in even light rain either.

The forecast is wishy washy right now. It will firm up by Thursday. If it is showing ANY chance of rain Saturday (by Thursday) you can pretty much consider that a guarantee.

And yes, even with reservations, locals will bail out on rainy days. We have a reservation for next Saturday and if it's rainy there is ZERO chance we will go. We will decide by Friday night, based on the forecast for Saturday.
Just the info I was looking for, DLGal! I do love rainy days in an uncrowded park, but would be bummer to miss the shows. Won’t be going to CP. but lots of people look forward to it so hoping the weather holds.

Hey, maybe if it does rain, it’ll keep the lines down for candy canes…😂
I know, I know…they are all pre-ordered anyway…

I'm going next weekend and didn't even know the forecast showed rain, so thanks for letting me know!! We have River Belle Terrace lunch reservations on Friday so we could get the good Fantasmic seating, but we'll look at how the forecast looks on Thursday and will cancel if it doesn't look good.

Years before, I did watch a performance of Fantasmic in the rain, though the rain didn't start until halfway through the show and understandably, none of the characters came out after that. Most of the audience left after the rain started pouring, so that was one of the few times I've seen the show totally unobstructed and up close. Looking back, I'm surprised they didn't just cancel the show.

Yup, same boat. I've got Saturday reservations with my eldest and will cancel if rain is showing - he wants ALL THE RIDES and I don't want to have to deal with excessive shut downs due to weather. Good news for out of towners, though - I spend a blissful very rainy two days in March 2020 (the day it closed) and we were able to do everything in those 2 days!

Bring your rain gear just in case and stash it in a locker with some dry socks/change of shoes and you'll still have a great time. The 2-hr dining cancellation helps as well.

Thanks for the helpful dialog, folks!
Add me to the list of "local; have reservation for Saturday; will cancel if it looks like rain."

I'm getting kind of bummed, looks more and more like rain as the days get closer- Thursday, Friday and Saturday. :( Unfortunately, I am not one who loves Disneyland in the rain.

I'm getting kind of bummed, looks more and more like rain as the days get closer- Thursday, Friday and Saturday. :( Unfortunately, I am not one who loves Disneyland in the rain.
I usually come to the parks to get away from rainy Oregon and an extra dose of Vitamin D.... It always seems like roulette on my late Nov/early Dec trips. But I'm from Oregon, so waterproof shoes, extra socks, rain jacket, and I'm good. It's not my favorite, but kinda have to tolerate it since it's too late for me to cancel things without incurring cancelation fees.

I am 50/50 about going to the parks in the rain. Solo - I would probably go. With Mom - I would cancel. She calls everything a downpour and storm even when we get 5 drops on us. It is no fun with her in the rain! We also have reservations on Saturday and will decide on Friday if one or both of us might go.

I am 50/50 about going to the parks in the rain. Solo - I would probably go. With Mom - I would cancel. She calls everything a downpour and storm even when we get 5 drops on us. It is no fun with her in the rain! We also have reservations on Saturday and will decide on Friday if one or both of us might go.

This made me LOL. It reminds me of my mom, who thinks it is always cold, even when it is pretty hot outside. I remember her telling us as adults to "come in out of the cold" and feeding us homemade chicken noodle soup over the 4th of July when it was 85° outside. 😄

This made me LOL. It reminds me of my mom, who thinks it is always cold, even when it is pretty hot outside. I remember her telling us as adults to "come in out of the cold" and feeding us homemade chicken noodle soup over the 4th of July when it was 85° outside. 😄

Oh, I totally get this!!!! She is always saying how cold she is when we get to Disneyland. I run warm and am sweating and she has multiple layers on. I will admit that she will take my hands to hold when she is cold and they are pretty chilly and mine are super warm. She often tells people about my hot hands and how unfair it is that I run so warm. I remind her that I hit a point that I cannot take any more layers off, but she can always add more.

In defense of all your moms, we older folk (particularly women) are generally more sensitive to cold than when we were younger. And I gotta tell ya, when that marine layer rolls in, for someone who is not used to humidity, it’s FREEZING! I normally leave my coat in the car when hubby drops me off at airport here in Denver, but I’m thinking of bringing it this trip…🤪😂

now it’s up to 80% on Friday, with Saturday being clear. Just hope for best and if it’s too nasty, we’ll just skip park on Friday night.

Nice thing about multiple day trip…you don’t have a lot of FOMO.

Keeping fingers crossed, it all passes by and it’s all sunny…

I would 100% go. DS went in a decent rain storm with a friend when he came home on spring break. They saw everything they wanted to in DL including ROtR, then went back and upgraded to park-hoppers and saw everything they wanted to in DCA too. That's pretty typical.

Crowds will be nil - BUT - be prepared! The rain is cold here and a cold air mass always follows the rain - you don't want to be walking around in soaked clothes. Umbrellas and ponchos won't cut it. You want actual rain gear - head to toe. Wet feet are the worst.

When it comes to rain I wouldn't worry about it until maybe Wednesday or Thursday, SoCal weather is notorious for saying we are getting rain to only not get it. It definitely can make the crowds less! I may try and brave the rain depending!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter