OK Need help A to Z. Traveling with 2 challenged folk

TIGGERSMOM

<font color=blue>And now for something completely
OK I have come here to get help from the best of the best. I used the the disAbilies board for my DS until his was surgically corrected. Now I am back and need lots of advice - guidance - general HELP!

We are attending the convention - sort of a mini-family reunion. There will be 8 ofus and we are a 2br Villa at the Boardwalk so I don't think space will be a problem.

Now the heart of the matter. My aunt who is 84 and mobility challenged, she does not use a wheelchair at home just a cane. I know WDW will be way too much on her legs.
We also have my DF who is still recovering from cancer surgery, lost one lung and is working on about 75% of the other. He usues oxygen at home about 50% of the time. So questions abound:

Should I rent 2 ECV's for the entire time or just parks?

Where can I rent them and do they deliver?

My Df uses an oxygen compressor at home - can I rent a travel one down there?

Or maybe a mini portable he can carry?

Any help/suggestions/guidance is appreicated. You may know things I haven't even thought of so fire away.

We are bringing his HP placard for the car.

There are three companies who rent ECVs: Care Medical, Walker Mobility, and Randy's. I don't have the web URLs handy, but someone else may post them. I have used Walker and have been happy with them. The rentals are in much better shape than Disney's, and you have them for the entire stay. They will deliver them to your hotel (and will be with Bell Services) and pick them up at no additional charge. They come with a full charge, easily last for a full day's use, and only need to be charged overnight. The prices are better than Disney's.

The problem is I don't know of any car trunk that will hold two of them. We had this problem last February when we had two families (total six people), both with a person using an ECV. We checked all the cars, vans, and SUVs on the National lot at WDW, including a Cadillac. Most SUVs will have room behind the back seat, but you can only get 5 people in one. Disney Transportation is very good and just about every bus they have can handle two ECVs. Since you have 8 people, using two cars would work. The other choice would be a 15 passenger van with the back seat removed, that can get everyone in plus the two ECVs.

Hope this information helps you.

Thanks for the compliments to the nice people of the disABILTIES Board.
Here are the urls:
Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html
Colonial also lists that they rent respiratory equipment on their web site. Some of the others might rent it as well, but Colonial was the only one I found with it on their website. His current supplier should be able to coordinate with the supplier in Florida so he has what he needs.

Since you are at BW, you will be able to get to Epcot and MGM without using buses, so that will help.
If your aunt hasn't used an ecv before, she may be a little scared to try it. One suggestion that people have reported was helpful was to go to a local mall or a big store like Target and use the ecv shopping cart that they have available for guests to use. If she can drive that, an ecv at WDW won't be a problem.

Great Suggestions!!

Cheshire - we took your advice and have already changed to 2 vehicles. Makes so much more sense.

SueM - WHat a great idea. My aunt doesn't drive never has and is very nervous about running someone over. We told her we would get a little silver bell she can ring.
OK I know the have some kind of horn(I hope). Taking a little practice is a great idea.

Keep them coming guys.

Hiya TM....

I dont have alot of extra help for you (you know alot and have gotten some great advise so far :))

I just wanted to add that going to a store (esp a mall) and renting an ECV for shopping to get a feel for it is a FAB idea!! that way said person wont be SOOOOOO overwhelmed by the experience once they get down to WDW...

THe reason I think the mall might be best is because it will be a similar WDW situation...

Big crowds not looking where they are going...

having to manuver in and out of the stores...

Just a thought :)

Thanks Wheelsie I knew I could count on you for advice.

Love that Tigger art!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter