OK, so shoot us! Boma was not a high point.

Originally posted by ducklite
If you have nut allergies, skip Boma. There is almost nothing you can eat. They use coconut in almost everthing.

They also use quite a bit of almonds... and it's NOT marked on the dishes, or noticable when you look at the dishes (although some had almond sprinkled on the top, or whole nuts mixed in). I discovered this by accident when chatting with one of the chefs at the pods. I was commenting that the salmon looked wonderful, but it had almonds on it, and I was allergic. She quickly pointed out about 20 dishes on the line, including soups with almond paste, and almost all of the desserts (goodbye zebra domes :(.

She was quite accomodating though, and offered to bring me freshly prepared food without the nuts. I had not expected or even hinted that this was necessary. I thought this was going above and beyond for a buffet restaurant, where the theory is usually "take it or leave it".

I can't say that Boma's is in my top 10 restaurants at WDW, but it's not in the bottom 10 either. We probably won't choose to dine here often because of my allergies. The experience has taught me to ask about ingredients I am allergic to even if I don't notice them.

Originally posted by Maleficent2
2 yrs ago Great last year only so-so I wonder if they have a new chef?!?!?!?

If I recall correctly, I think that the original chef has moved... maybe to one of the monorail resorts? And I agree. The food was much better the first time we were here. I thought I read that a lot of people complained that the food was too spicy, so it was toned down...

Ditto my experience. In my case the server had a chef come out and walk me through. It was so disappointing. They didn't offer to make me anything special until I had filled up on the three items I could eat. I would have JUMPED at the option of a grilled chicken breast and some rice. It was almost an afterthought on their part. They did offer to bring me some sorbet from Jiko for dessert because there was nothing on the dessert pod that I could eat. And I mean nothing.

Anne

We Loved Boma and we will be returning in September and we will be eating there again.

I stayed at AKL last week and also ate at BOMA. After traveling to WDW six times in the last six years, this was the best meal I ever had. From the prime rib to the simple corn meal, all of the tastes were a welcome break from the "standard" WDW buffet lineup. The desserts alone are worth the price of admission. I also experienced something new. As I was getting seconds of a great soup, the chef behind the counter asked me if I had any questions or needed anything. The service was great. Was the room loud? Probably. Is the atmosphere dark? Sometimes. Was the eating experience worth my time? Definitley!

Originally posted by ducklite
If you have nut allergies, skip Boma. There is almost nothing you can eat. They use coconut in almost everthing.

I do not like coconut....so I probably will not like Boma then? If I can see the coconut I won't eat it, but if you can't see it then I would probably try it. I have made my PS because I wanted to go, but now??

Jodi

I went there last fall and enjoyed it. I HATE green pepper and will not eat anything with it in, but I don't remember a lot of items with green pepper in it. The server did tell me they vary the menu each night so maybe it was that. I though the food was good for a buffet and different than most buffets. Not everything was great, but there were a lot of choices and I had plenty of non-mushy foods to try. The cooks were always there to explain what the dishes were and were really friendly. I didn't like the zebra domes, because I don't like coffee, but there were several others that were very good. Overall, I was glad I went.

While the lighing is not bright, it was not too dim and I did not find the AKL in general to be too dark- dark wood, maybe but plenty of light to see. GUess that comes down to personnel prefernences. I plan on going back on my next visit.

I'm so thankful that I opened this thread; I have a reservation for a party of 10 in September that I'll cancel tomorrow. Most of us can't stand green peppers, so I can't take the chance that they'll be the main flavoring that night. Or even that they will be a minor flavoring.

I won't shoot you here! On our trip in June, our first reservation for Bomas, DH and I had to stay at the villa with an ill DD. The rest of our party dined there and they raved about it and made another reservation for a few nights later so we could enjoy it also.

Well, we waited over an hour after our PS time and it took DH threatening to take our party over to the McDonald's at Downtown Disney to get them to get us seated! The soda fountain was broken, our waiter was slow, and the menu was different than the first dining experience. I did not find anything that I really liked and neither did DH. The rest of our party agreed that the second night was just not up to par compared to the first night. Don't think I can convince DH to try it one more time......

:bounce: :bounce:

Please Please ladies and gentlement when u go eat anywhere if u have alergic or special dietary restriction or requirement ...ask for the CHEF and Inform your server ....The Chef at BOMA will take care you........

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter