OK, so shoot us! Boma was not a high point.

We are in the group that likes Boma's. We took my father last September and went to quite a few nice WDW restaurants during the two week period and he liked Boma's the best. We are going back in July with my brother and his family, who also rate it quite high. But, I agree that it could be overhype. I heard so much about the Zebra Domes, and I love coffee flavored desserts, but they weren't my favorites. There was some kind of a bar cookie with jam that I just loved. But, to each his own. I would love to try Jiko, hopefully on my solo trip.

CINDY

We thought Boma was ok but I will admit I had really high expectations and was disappointed. Jiko though we love!

we agree again :-)

We stayed at akl in June 2001 and while we LOVED the resort, Boma was not the highlight. DH and I put the kids in the club and went for dinner. We found the food mediocre and the service poor. We did however love Mara, the "fast food type" restaurant and Jiko on another night. Jiko was awesome as was the kids club! We loved our room at AKL as we had a great view of the animals from our balcony.

TJ

Our last 4 trips have been to WL ,and roaring Forks does have a limited menu....how varied is Mara's menu?

Thanks!

What did you like so much about the kids club? Is it that different form the other clubs at the other resorts? I am thinking about taking my DD4 (almost 5) there in August when we stay at the AKL.

Thanks for any info,

OK. Maybe I shouldn't let one thread change my mind... BUT, it did. I just switched out Boma's for Jiko's. We went to Jiko's last year ( I think it had just opened). I don't remember what I had, but I do recall we had a fantastic dinner, and wonderful time overall, visiting the resort. So. The Boma experiment is cancelled, and so it's back to Jiko's!

We also loved Boma... the food was fantastic, and we found it to be appropriately spiced according to the dish. This food is not all Morroccan, but based on food in the Southern areas of Africa with which we may not be as familiar. I say try it, or you will never know!

I think the reason you haven't seen more people in support of Boma on this thread is that if someone posts something negative about something at Disney and a bunch of other people argue that they had a wonderful time there, it often turns into the old "you are so blinded by disney that you think everything is perfect there" fight. I'm guessing that most of Boma's fans have held their tongues so that the people who don't like it don't feel like they will get flamed for expressing their opinion.

My husband and I loved boma, both for breakfast and dinner. I am not in general a buffet fan but we really enjoyed the variety and quality of Boma. Some of our favorite cuisines are Indian, Middle Eastern and North African and we definately enjoy interestingly spiced foods and weren't disappointed at Boma. Although as others observed, tastes do differ among different people and I didn't find the zebra dome to be all that great. We haven't tried Jiko yet, but are very much looking forward to it.

Personally, I think that comparing Jiko to Boma would be like comparing Victoria and Alberts or Citricos to 1900 Park Faire at the grand floridian. If you are looking for a fine dining experience like Citricos, you are going to be disappointed by Park Faire. Likewise if you really just want a casual experience then Citricos might not be the right choice. The reason we haven't yet tried Jiko is that whenever we were at the AKL we were in the mood for a more casual meal.

Lisa

Yes, Lisa F, you may be right! Although I do enjoy hearing all opinions. Sometimes it is personal opinion, sometimes an off night at the restaurant, sometimes it is the server, and sometimes it is our own moods! I definitely want to "peek" in at Boma and see how it is going when I will be staying at AKL!:p

With all the complaints here, i was wondering, did anyone mention these same complaints to the people at AKL or Disney? It won't improve if Disney does not get feedback both good or bad, it is important..smjj

TimC,
I personally think you made the right choice switching from Boma to Jiko. We found Boma ok but Jiko is exceptional!

We ate dinner at both Boma's & Jiko's last January. I have never particularly like buffets but I didn't think boma was bad. There were a few things I especially liked but I can't remember what they were. I know I did like the oxtail soup. I probably won't want to go back for quite a while but I am glad that we went. The quality of the food at Jiko's was better I thought. I had a salmon dish that I liked and I tasted my husband's monkfish which was wonderful. The bread they served with the meal was good and the appetizer which was some sort of flatbread (olive maybe?) was delicious.

the first time the meal was outstanding...the second it was only ok...

but there will be a third we plan on eating there again this trip.

I think every rest has a day when the chef is off and the food is less than great. I just hope we have a replay of our first boma expierence this trip.

I love the Seafood Coconut soup!

Mal

The other thing that I disliked about it was the use of green bell pepper to flavor almost everything.
OMG - thank you so much for posting this!! No one else has ever mentioned it, and since I won't eat anything that has ever met a green pepper, this is crucial info for me. Ugh. *crossing Boma right off my list!!!*

[Sorry for the melodrama :) but I really do hate those suckers!]

If you have nut allergies, skip Boma. There is almost nothing you can eat. They use coconut in almost everthing.

I'm allergic to tree nuts, coconut, water chestnuts and scallops, and can't stand curry. That rules out just about everything on the buffet, including the entire dessert bar.

$25 for a plate of pap doesn't work for me.

Anne

Although we LOVE AKL (and probably won't stay anywhere else), I must agree that we did not enjoy Boma for dinner. I guess it's just because I am a picky eater so I mainly ate of the children's section but even DH (who loves anything) wasn't impressed. We won't go back for dinner but I will definitely try it for breakfast.

WE have been to Boma twice. The first time we went (two years ago), we loved it. Last year, we went again. It was okay, but we didn't love it. I can't put my finger on it. The room was so loud, we could hardly have a conversation. We felt like we were yelling. The food was fine, but not spectacular.

We are leaving Friday and Boma is not on our list this time.

We thought the Animal Kingdom Lodge was beautiful, but it IS dark.

I enjoyed Boma but I think more for the overall experience than the actual tastiness of the food. There was definitely some good stuff especially a chocolate mousse on a cookie thing but a few items weren't so good to me like a squash soup that I tried. We did have excellent service and I personally love the dark atmosphere of AKL. I get tired of all of that hot, BRIGHT sun that we deal with all day and it feels good to me to enter the AKL "cave".

I have eaten dinner at Boma twice and have eaten breakfast there twice as well. I love the breakfast and have a mixed opinion of dinner.

My first dinner there was a real stand-out of the trip. The pork tenderloin was some of the best, most tender meat I've ever had. Yum! My friend also loved her mahi mahi, and she is a real fish lover. My second dinner there wasn't bad, it just wasn't great. The only non-red meat entree they had was the rotisserie chicken, which we found a little bland.

Both my breakfasts there have been quite tasty, but we did have a long wait once (even with a PS). I do love it though.

As far as the resort itself goes, I like the darker, relaxed atmosphere a lot. It really gives it a nice laid back feel to me. Of course, I can see how people would find it too dark. Luckily WDW has tons of resorts to choose from. :)

2 yrs ago Great last year only so-so I wonder if they have a new chef?!?!?!?

that seems to happen at WDW they hire a great chef he gets the reputation going for the place and bam he is gone and the new chef just can't cut the mustard so to speak...

Anyone know if that is the case here?

Mal

PS for the record I like the atmoshere at AKL also it is peaceful & relaxing to have the light so subdued.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter