Okay, now I'm getting a little afraid..

Ladybugsy

DIS Veteran
I'm heading to Disney with my dh, dd's and ds, also my aunt and uncle. Okay, I know this will be confusing, but here's the deal. My husband, my oldest daughter, 13, and my aunt are all insulin dependent diabetics. DH and DD are type 1. My aunt and my uncle will both be using ECV's. My uncle is a quadrapalegic, and my aunt has numerous feet, ankle knee and hip problems. My husband has a hard time waiting in the heat for some reason since he has become a diabetic. He was diagnosed with type 1 at 34. He POURS sweat and can have a serious low pretty quickly. My daughter is pretty brittle, but overall she shouldn't have many problems. So, I'm looking at at least 2 and possibly 3 GAC's. I've been reading this board, and I"m scared of what is going to happen. I have no idea how to use the GAC, what to tell the CM when we go to get them. My uncle's speech is not very good since his accident, so the CM's probably won't be able to understand him. Gosh, there's just too much to list. Can someone help me with what to tell the CM's when I go in for the GAC. Is a doctor's note going to help matters? My aunt is already getting one for them. How will I know what to do when I walk up to a ride? where do I go? Will there be a CM outside every ride to help? I'm very non confrontational. I don't want to have to put up a fight, but I'm extremely worried about all of this. My aunt and uncle can both transfer themselves to any ride they need to, but my uncle will be pretty slow about it. I am having nightmares about holding up the line and people yelling at me...lol. Also about the fact that there are 7 of us, and I dream that I'm getting "the look" from the entire line of people waiting for the ride. There are so many horror stories on this board. :guilty:

Someone tell me it's going to be alright :listen:

:grouphug: Take a deep deep breath.

Nobody should yell at you.

Usually getting a GAC is the easiest thing in the world ;) The people at guest services were nice and friendly (we were there in June) and the process took about 2 minutes.

We had no trouble using fast pass for most rides or just showing the GAC to the first CM we saw at an attraction. Sometimes we waited on line for a minute before seeing a CM but usually it was right away. You can get 1 GAC for your family and your aunt can get a seperate one for your uncle.

About taking time getting on rides, I went with a family whose daughter has cerebral palsy. She can't stand (or walk) unassisted and we had to lift her into and out of every single ride. We never got nasty looks for taking an extra minute. And if we did get nasty looks I would suggest they do all that lifting (shes 10 and 70lbs or so) :rolleyes:

I'm sure more people can give you more hints-
Have fun!

A doctor's not will not help. It is illegal under the ADA to request a doctor's not to prove disability.

If the only thing your Aunt and Uncle sound like mobility is their only problem so they won't need a GAC they will just stay in their wheelchairs while they are in line.

Like the others said, take a deep breath and relax. You got some very good advice already, I'm just adding to that.
GAC is a Guest Assistance Card. It is a tool that is used by CMs to know what sort of assistance is needed by someone with an invisible disability. After telling the CM what needs you have, an icon is stamped onto the GAC that tells the CM (very basically) what is needed. Since it is an icon, the CM doesn't need to read it, just a glance usually tells what is needed. Some of the people who have reported problems had needs that are not well covered by GACs or were additional information besides what was stamped on the GAC (so can't be seen with just a glance).
And, you have to remember that most people (with any situation) are not as likely to say anything if things worked well. The people who say something are generally the ones who had problems. You don't usually hear from the people who don't have problems. (This is not in any way saying that the people who complain don't have valid complaints, just that they are more likely to speak up).

First of all, when are you going?
During the busy times of year, the CMs are spread pretty thin and are worried about getting the maximum number of people thru the line in the shortest amount of time. That gives less opportunity for rushed CMs to give personal attention.
During the slow times, waits in general are short and you will often be able to go right into rides without more than a few minutes wait (slow time is pretty much now until just before Thanksgiving, with a little busier time during Halloween). You probably won't need to use a GAC at all because it won't be busy enough.
Even during busy times, if you get to the parks early, you can go on a lot of rides/attractions without a long wait. My DH and I have done that in July and saw most of the rides in Fantasyland, plus Haunted Mansion and Pirates before 11 am. it was starting to get busy when we left. DH did the same thing during Spring break with oldest DD, niece and nephew.
My DD who is disabled is too slow to get up the morning, but even during Spring break, she has a GAC, but we don't usually need to use it more than 1 or 2 times a day because we pick up fastpasses when we can and realize that some of the attractions that are 1-2 hours wait in mid-morning are not busy later on. One of the guidebooks (like the Unofficial Guidebook) can help with timing or the CMs at the Information Station in each park can be helpful.
Can someone help me with what to tell the CM's when I go in for the GAC. Is a doctor's note going to help matters?
What you need to tell them is what the needs are that will be a problem while waiting in line or during attractions. Just explain those things (actually have your DH explain).
As was already mentioned, they can't ask for/require a doctors's note. Often, the CMs don't want to see a doctor's note because most of the time, the notes are not helpful in telling what your needs are (most just list the diagnosis, say the person will have a hard time waiting in line and ask for "consideration"). Even 3 people with the same basic diagnosis, don't always have the same needs.
Keep in mind that you don't have to get a GAC as soon as you get to the park. You can go to request one at any time during your trip (and doing that might give you a better idea of your needs).
Ladybugsy said:
My husband, my oldest daughter, 13, and my aunt are all insulin dependent diabetics. DH and DD are type 1. My husband has a hard time waiting in the heat for some reason since he has become a diabetic. He was diagnosed with type 1 at 34. He POURS sweat and can have a serious low pretty quickly. My daughter is pretty brittle, but overall she shouldn't have many problems.
You and your DH and children are likely to stay together, so your immediate family probably only needs one GAC. It sounds like your DH has more needs, so I'd choose him to get the GAC. Your DD will be with you all the time anyway and has less needs, so I don't think she needs a GAC. She should be able to get along with care.

Other things to think about are that if it's hot in line, he is also going to have problems in the park in general. The time you spend waiting outside in line is only a small portion of the time you in the parks. Actually, many of the lines are covered or even inside, in air conditioning (surprisingly, CMs have posted that even some of the outdoor lines -like Jungle Cruise- are air conditioned). You do need to think about ways to combat the heat.
Going during the cooler times might be very important to you.
Also, going early in the day, before it gets too hot and then leaving during the hottest time and coming back later in the day would help you to avoid the heat.
My aunt and my uncle will both be using ECV's. My uncle is a quadrapalegic, and my aunt has numerous feet, ankle knee and hip problems. My uncle's speech is not very good since his accident, so the CM's probably won't be able to understand him. My aunt and uncle can both transfer themselves to any ride they need to, but my uncle will be pretty slow about it.
I saw you also listed that your aunt is a diabetic. Most diabetics don't need a GAC (the GAC is given based on needs rather than diagnosis).
As Michigan mentioned, people using wheelchairs/ECVs generally don't need a GAC unless they have needs that are not met by having an acessible line. The CM can see that the accessible line is needed and will send you there without a GAC.
Most lines are wheelchair and ecv accessible. There are icons on the park maps that tell which lines require a transfer from an ecv to a wheelchair and which are fully accessible.
If you haven't already, check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread. It includes a link to the official WDW Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities.

I saw your uncle is a quadraplegic, when most people think of quadraplegic, they picture someone like Christopher Reeve. Obviously that's not correct since you said he can transfer.
Can he transfer ALL by himself, just slowly, or does he need assistance? How much assistance? Keep in mind that CMs are allowed to do things like steady or move a wheelchair/ecv and offer a steadying hand, but can't lift, transfer or move anyone.
If he needs something (like the moving walkway stopped for a moving walkway line), he doesn't need to be the opne to say, but someone in your party has to speak up for him.
Since he is using an ecv, it will be assumed that he can and will transfer.

Another thing: You didn't mention if either your aunt or uncle have experience driving ecvs. If they don't, they should get some practice before they go. Large stores like Walmart, Target and grocery stores often have ecvs for their customers. These are much larger and harder to control than any at WDW. SO, if they can manage those, they should be OK. And once they get there, they should practice a bit before going out in the crowds. Epcot is the best park to practice since it's not as busy and has wide paths.
How will I know what to do when I walk up to a ride? where do I go? Will there be a CM outside every ride to help? I'm very non confrontational. I don't want to have to put up a fight, but I'm extremely worried about all of this. My aunt and uncle can both transfer themselves to any ride they need to, but my uncle will be pretty slow about it. I am having nightmares about holding up the line and people yelling at me...lol. Also about the fact that there are 7 of us, and I dream that I'm getting "the look" from the entire line of people waiting for the ride. There are so many horror stories on this board. :guilty:

Someone tell me it's going to be alright :listen:
There is usually a CM outside each ride or somewhere around the entrance.
If it's a Fastpass ride with Fastpass in operation (sometimes it's not when it's not busy), there will be a CM at the Fastpass return.
Keep in mind that the horror stories are the exception, rather than the rule.
First of all, when you get to a ride, you may not need any special assistance (so may not need tto use a GAC at all):
Many lines are inside buildings (so no problem with heat).
If the standby (regular) line is 20 minutes or less, you probably don't need to use a GAC.
Most lines do have emergency exits in case you need to leave the line.
When in line, keep an eye out for wheelchair symbols. In some attractions, wheelchair/ecv users board at the exit. Usually you are directed there a little bit before people in the regular line get to the boarding area. So, you don't end up "holding up" a line of people waiting to get on.
There is a link to a thread about boarding in the disABILITIES FAQs thread that would be helpful to you.

Thank you for such detailed answers! The GAC seems much clearer and less foreboding to me now. We are headed down on September 13th, and believe me, I have cool misters, fan spritzers, and also the gel scarves that keep your neck cool for dh. My uncle is able to move around, although he moves very slowly and falls alot. My son and husband should be able to help him move anywhere he may need to. Also, both my aunt and uncle are very experienced ecv drivers.

If I decided not to get a GAC card at all, with my 2 relatives in ECVs, will we be split up every time we go for a ride?

Ladybugsy said:
If I decided not to get a GAC card at all, with my 2 relatives in ECVs, will we be split up every time we go for a ride?
For some attractions where wheelchair/ecv users are split off to a different area, you will almost always be able to stay together with a party of 7. Usually, they say they will allow a party of 6 (5 plus the person with a disability). Since you have 2 ecvs and your total party is only 7, it shouldn't be a problem. It's not that busy at this time of year, so that will help too.
If there is a wheelchair entrance or wheelchair/ecv place to go, the CMs will ask the first person "How many in the party". So be prepared for that (in other words, if your uncle can't talk understandably, have someone else ready to answer).
There are some situations where there is not room for 7 people. When it's busy, the CMs don't have time for a lot of explanations, but that shouldn't be as much of a problem at this time of year. Sometimes for shows, there are spaces in the back for ecvs and wheeelchairs, but not many seats, so the rest of you may need to sit in a row in front.

My mom was in a wheelchair both in Feb and in Aug and she was told she still needed a GAC...just having the chair was not enough. I guess some people are renting wheelchairs just to get the preferential treatment and WDW is finding that people with real needs tend to know about the GAC, so they required her to have one.

graygables said:
My mom was in a wheelchair both in Feb and in Aug and she was told she still needed a GAC...just having the chair was not enough. I guess some people are renting wheelchairs just to get the preferential treatment and WDW is finding that people with real needs tend to know about the GAC, so they required her to have one.
In most cases, wheelchair users use the regular lines with everyone else, so there is no preferential treatment. This is called Mainstream Lines.
All of the Studio and AK were built with Mainstream Lines. As they added attractions, added Fastpass and renovated older attractions, they added Mainstream Lines.
If someone has a wheelchair or ecv and just needs accessible lines, they don't need a GAC. The exception is a child using a wheelchair that does not look like a traditional wheelchair and might be mistaken for a stroller.

For some rides, wheelchair users board at the exit, but that is usually after having waited in the regular lines until just before the regular boarding area. You don't need a GAC to use that entrance (and really didn't get any preferential treatment since you waited in line with everyone else).

Some of the confusion comes when people who had been to WDW years ago remember that they used to be taken right to boarding when they went to WDW before. When they try to do that now and go right to the exit or the Fastpass lines (without a Fastpass) to board, they are told they need a GAC to use the exit or Fastpass.
That is true and GACs are given out to people who have additional needs besides just needing an accessible entrance/line so that they can use that access.
But, the Mainstream Entrance is wheelchair accessible and you don't need a GAC to use it.

There are occasional CMs who don't know what they are doing and will tell you that you need a GAC when you don't. We actually had a GAC and ran into a CM at Splash Mountain who said she could not let us use the area with the wheelchair symbol because we would be "cutting off a lot of the line." I pointed out that we had a GAC and that DD had a wheelchair which could NOT go up the steps. She held firm until a supervisor came and said that was ridiculous because there was no way our DD's wheelchair could go up the stairs. Apparently other people ran into her because we saw posts right after where they had the same experience.
The CM at Small World would not look at our DD's GAC, but he didn't prevent us from using the wheelchair entrance.

So, end result is, if you have a wheelchair or ecv and run into a CM who says you need a GAC to use the accessible entrance, ask to see a supervisor.

This is a great thread, full of information. I'm going to address the staring and dirty looks.

When you get there you will see so many people with disabilities - old and young. You will not be the only ones holding up lines, taking time to board, etc. So, as Sue said - - relax.

Try to keep your focus on your family and not the people around you. IF you do catch someone's eye and they look angry, (shame on them!), you will find at least two other people who are patient and smiling. This will happen mostly on the buses as it takes some time to load ECVs. After your first bus ride and first ride -- you'll find that it's not as bad as you had feared.

Disney is the most handicapped friendly place I know - try working on not worrying about what other people think. I seriously identify with you as I am always being overly courteous etc... Do what the CMs tell you to do and you will be fine, ok?

Sue

SueM in MN said:
In most cases, wheelchair users use the regular lines with everyone else, so there is no preferential treatment. This is called Mainstream Lines.
There are occasional CMs who don't know what they are doing and will tell you that you need a GAC when you don't. We actually had a GAC and ran into a CM at Splash Mountain who said she could not let us use the area with the wheelchair symbol because we would be "cutting off a lot of the line." I pointed out that we had a GAC and that DD had a wheelchair which could NOT go up the steps. She held firm until a supervisor came and said that was ridiculous because there was no way our DD's wheelchair could go up the stairs.

So, end result is, if you have a wheelchair or ecv and run into a CM who says you need a GAC to use the accessible entrance, ask to see a supervisor.

YES - The people running the SM line are the most - um - committed to the one ideal.. up the steps, up the steps, up the steps, don't cut the line. Strange, isn't it??? Sue - I am amused and astounded at your story!!

But, i want to edit my prior post - - - "listen to and do what the CMs say unless it is ridiculous!!"

HAVE FUN! :cool1:

SueOKW said:
YES - The people running the SM line are the most - um - committed to the one ideal.. up the steps, up the steps, up the steps, don't cut the line. Strange, isn't it??? Sue - I am amused and astounded at your story!!

But, i want to edit my prior post - - - "listen to and do what the CMs say unless it is ridiculous!!"

HAVE FUN! :cool1:
That was absolutely the strangest situation I've ever encountered at WDW. She was not budging. I pointed out the wheelchair symbol on the gate, I pointed out the wheelchair, I pointed out the steps, I asked her how she thought we were going to get DD up the steps, she didn't answer, I said DD could not walk at all and was too heavy to lift up the steps - and what was the wheelchair symbol there for if she wouldn't let people wiith wheelchairs use it. She just kept up with her "I can't let you cut the line" mantra. Thank goodness for supervisors.

Also, since we have been on SM before, we knew that people with wheelchairs get past that area and then wait outside the exit until they call you to come into the actual exit area and (guess what) wait a few minutes more for loading. We frequently see people who were just ahed of us in line before the steps either loading or unloading while we are waiting in the exit to load, so even if you DO cut off some of the path, you still get on at about the same time.

Unfortunately, we can't go on SM that often anymore. It's too hard to get lift DD on and off that ride car. :sad1:

I believe a lot of people are confused that some parts of WDW (the older parts, like Magic Kingdom) do not have Mainstream lines, and when they have a member of their group in a wheelchair, they are directed to go through the exit or Fastpass line. Then, when they go to AK or MGM (and a lot of the newer parts of EPCOT) they head for the FP line. Oops! No, you can't go in there unless you have a GAC that states you have a specific reason not to be in the main line. Then we get ugly scenes and angry posts, because WDW doesn't have a very clear policy that is easy and quick for everyone to understand.

To the OP - beware that it is still very hot in September at WDW - if your husband has a very hard time in the heat, September is not a good time to go. There is a lot of waiting for buses, waiting to get into the parks, and just a lot of walking between attractions without any shade. Hopefully, they'll have a lot more of those misting stations funcioning than they did when we were there in August.

Schmeck said:
I believe a lot of people are confused that some parts of WDW (the older parts, like Magic Kingdom) do not have Mainstream lines, and when they have a member of their group in a wheelchair, they are directed to go through the exit or Fastpass line. Then, when they go to AK or MGM (and a lot of the newer parts of EPCOT) they head for the FP line. Oops! No, you can't go in there unless you have a GAC that states you have a specific reason not to be in the main line. Then we get ugly scenes and angry posts, because WDW doesn't have a very clear policy that is easy and quick for everyone to understand.
Very good point. Thanks for the reminder.

I should have thought about that when graygables mentioned what happened to them.
If the first few attractions gone on are ones without Mainstream Access, people are directed to the exit or Fastpass line, which is accessible. It would be a reasonable assumption to think that's how all the attractions work.
They used to include that information in the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities - it pretty much said "Proceed thru the Mainstream Line" for almost everything. I'm not sure why they took it out, but I think it was less confusing when they had it in the guidebook.

My experiences with the fast pass line when the standby line is not wheelchair accessible is that they do require me to get a fast pass. If I don't have one they will write out a slip of paper with a return time equal to the standby line wait time. I've never just had them let me use the fast pass line without a fast pass.

So even with the old non accessible lines you really don't get to go ahead of anyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter