Okay, so what is this?

Rajah

DIS Veteran
Besides the only plant I've managed to care for for almost two months without killing? ;)

treeplant.jpg

It's growing on a piece of lava rock.

Hmmm, did you buy it in the tropics or a tropical store? I am trying to remember, I am thinking it looks like jasmine, but I am not sure. Do you have any other info?

That looks SO familiar. Couple of names come to mind: an Umbrella plant? Maybe a form of philodendrum? The leaves are like waxy, right? I don't know what the official name of an Umbrella plant is but I think that might be it. I can't wait to find out.

We have the same plant and it is getting too big for the pot..lol...can't think of the name though..

I got it at a little booth at the mall that was selling only it and bamboo. The bamboo died (Blaze got ahold of the leaves and now it's not growing at all so we're assuming it's dead) but this is at work and still going strong.

Yes, the leaves are waxy, and the main trunk is about the thickness of my pinkie (just realized I didn't have anything in the way of scale there).

My mom gave us ours..it's about 4 foot tall...:eek:

Schefflera.."grow in indirect or curtained light. Kep warm, never below65 degrees. feed everyother month with 20-20-20 when the soil is moist."

an Umbrella Plant. At least that's what I've always called it but I may be wrong.

I vote for Umbrella Plant too. I've got one that looks just like it except mine is growing in a pot.

Looking on the web (now that I have a search term to try ;) ), I think y'all are right. I think it's a small Umbrella Plant/tree aka Schefflera. There are multiple different plants with the name "Umbrella Plant" and at first I thought that couldn't be it, but when I went to a couple of other sites and found the *other* Umbrella Plant, that's got to be it.

Thanks!! :D Now I have a better idea of what to do for it long-term and how big it might get :)

Scheffelara is definitely right. They are relatively hardy plants and can take a range of light indoors.

For watering:
Water until the water comes out the bottom, ensuring good coverage over each side of the plant. Don't water again until you can place your index finger down into the dirt between 1-2" and feel dryness.

I know this is strange, but I had something almost exactly like that growing outside by my air conditioners. I wanted to transplant it and put it inside, but it had a long potato-like root that I couldn't pull all the way out.

I know this is strange, but I had something almost exactly like that growing outside by my air conditioners. I wanted to transplant it and put it inside, but it had a long carrot-like root that I couldn't pull all the way out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter