• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

You'll have a kitchenette with a small fridge,microwave,toaster,coffee pot. Paper plates,bowls,plastic flatware, ceramic mugs juice glasses are provided. Small starter packs of coffee with sugar and creamer are there. You may want to bring a sharp knife to cut fruit etc. Breakfast foods, sandwich fixings, snacks,any adult beverage you like are high on the grocery list as well as butter, salt and pepper.
Have a great trip.

Hi everyone! My husband and I just found out that we will be staying at OKW next February for my 30th birthday trip thanks to the kindness of my aunt and uncle who are DVC owners there. I've stayed at OKW before, but I was 11 years old, so I don't remember very much of it, other than that I loved it!

This will be the first trip that we've taken together where we won't be on the DDP. I'm trying to get an idea of what we will need to order from Garden Grocer, but I can't find information on if there are plates, glasses, utensils, and napkins in the rooms. We're staying in a Deluxe Studio. Thanks!
A studio will have paper plates, paper bowls, and plastic silverware. There will be real ceramic coffee cups and paper glasses. No napkins, but you will have paper towels, a small sponge and a small bottle of dish washing detergent (usually Palmolive). When you need more, just call housekeeping and they will bring you what you need. No charge to replenish those supplies.

Hi everyone! My husband and I just found out that we will be staying at OKW next February for my 30th birthday trip thanks to the kindness of my aunt and uncle who are DVC owners there. I've stayed at OKW before, but I was 11 years old, so I don't remember very much of it, other than that I loved it!

This will be the first trip that we've taken together where we won't be on the DDP. I'm trying to get an idea of what we will need to order from Garden Grocer, but I can't find information on if there are plates, glasses, utensils, and napkins in the rooms. We're staying in a Deluxe Studio. Thanks!

I have not stayed in a studio in a few years now but if I remember correctly they have just a small frig. I also have read that many of these are being replaced with newer ones that do not have a freezer. Not sure what types of food but take note. Others here may be able to correct me if I am outdated on this info...smjj

The newer fridges don't have a freezer but there are ice machines at the bus stops. The rooms have ice buckets.

The newer fridges don't have a freezer but there are ice machines at the bus stops.
Just to be clear, this is in the studio units. All the larger units still have full freezers.

You'll have a kitchenette with a small fridge,microwave,toaster,coffee pot. Paper plates,bowls,plastic flatware, ceramic mugs juice glasses are provided. Small starter packs of coffee with sugar and creamer are there. You may want to bring a sharp knife to cut fruit etc. Breakfast foods, sandwich fixings, snacks,any adult beverage you like are high on the grocery list as well as butter, salt and pepper.
Have a great trip.

A studio will have paper plates, paper bowls, and plastic silverware. There will be real ceramic coffee cups and paper glasses. No napkins, but you will have paper towels, a small sponge and a small bottle of dish washing detergent (usually Palmolive). When you need more, just call housekeeping and they will bring you what you need. No charge to replenish those supplies.

I have not stayed in a studio in a few years now but if I remember correctly they have just a small frig. I also have read that many of these are being replaced with newer ones that do not have a freezer. Not sure what types of food but take note. Others here may be able to correct me if I am outdated on this info...smjj

Fantastic! Thanks so much for your help everyone! I'm sure I'll have more questions as our trip gets closer. :D

Will be staying in a studio on rented points on an upcoming trip, how do I find out more about laundry? I apologize if this has been discussed else where. Thanks.

LAX

The laundry rooms are located by the "neighborhood " pools. They are free but you need to bring the laundry supplies you like. Some folks like the convience of all in one pods and dryer sheets. I first started using dye magnets or color catchers so I could mix and match loads.

Don't forget there are national park style BBQ grills at the small pool areas. We try to bbq at least once while there. You will need to get your own Charcoal/starter but it is a way to cook for yourselves. If you are flying in you are kind of stuck on what you can pack, but if you are driving in you can bring a lot of things to make dining in room a lot easier. We brought an electric skillet to make eggs in the morning, hot sandwiches for lunch.

When a two bedroom is reserved, they normally use the Dedicated first, unless a lock-off is specifically requested. Since you are a cash reservation, all requests would need to be made through the regular Disney Reservation Center.
As far as near HH, that category is normally only for reservations made through DVC, you can request to be near main pool, and they'll likely put you in bldgs 15, 16,62,63,64,27,28 or 29. Those are the closest buildings to HH that are not part of the Near HH DVC category.
So, if we are booked, using points, in a near HH area, there is no way we could get buildings 62 or 63?

No. Studios at OKW all have two queens
I know there is no way of really knowing where we will be for sure, but I'll see if anyone has an opinion on my room request. For our trip this month, there are 8 of us, 2 studios, near HH, rented points. One unit is my family, with DH, DS, and DD. The other unit is my DB, DSIL, DN, and DN, ages 5. My nephew has cerebral palsy. He can walk, just not stand for long periods of time. He is on a feeding tube, and is on a blended diet. We are preparing his food before we leave, and it will be frozen. The studios either have a very small freezer or no freezer at all, not sure. Either way, it will not accommodate storage of his food, as we will have 9, 32oz jars. Therefore, we will need to store his food at bell services at HH. Obviously, we would like to be as near each other as possible. We are celebrating DS's high school graduation! :yay:I know some of the studios are minus a window of some sort, so I am hoping we don't get those. We each have 2 reservations, one for one night, and then one for five nights. Hoping they can put me in the same room for both so we don't have to change rooms (I know there is no guarantee on this, LOL, but I'm hoping!) I plan to draft a request letter, but want to ensure I have an idea what to request/how to request it. Any opinions on this? Thanks so much! :)

I would have your two ressies linked which may allow you to stay in the same room. You and your brother should have traveling with each other noted in your ressies.

I would have your two ressies linked which may allow you to stay in the same room. You and your brother should have traveling with each other noted in your ressies.
I tried to link each of our two ressies together, but the one night reservation was made by a different person than the one who made the five night reservation. Our travel plans changed and we needed an extra night. The DVC owner of the one night points said that we were unable to link them since they were made by two different owners. I will note we are traveling together when I fax my request letter. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

So, if we are booked, using points, in a near HH area, there is no way we could get buildings 62 or 63?
the 60s building are occasionally used for overflow for Near HH, or if a near HH room goes out of service for some reason. The 60s are also often held for people with mobility issues, as they are the only buildings with elevators.

Last edited:
Just checked in for a short 5 night stay in a 2br. Tried to wait list near HH, but that didn't come through so to punish me they stuck me way out in building 50! No biggie because we have our own car. I really wasn't expecting to be too wowed knowing that this is the oldest(first) DVC resort, but I must say, I am quite impressed! I really like the size of the units, and they did an awesome job with the recent refurbs! I really like being able to park right next to my first floor unit. Much better than the long hallway treks we had at AKV and BWV last year. Kudos to you OKW owners your home is awesome!

Just checked in for a short 5 night stay in a 2br. Tried to wait list near HH, but that didn't come through so to punish me they stuck me way out in building 50! No biggie because we have our own car. I really wasn't expecting to be too wowed knowing that this is the oldest(first) DVC resort, but I must say, I am quite impressed! I really like the size of the units, and they did an awesome job with the recent refurbs! I really like being able to park right next to my first floor unit. Much better than the long hallway treks we had at AKV and BWV last year. Kudos to you OKW owners your home is awesome!
At least building 50 can be a quick walk to the turtle pond pool via the back way.

What refurbs were done and can you try to find out what buildings were refurbished? Going August so Intel really appreciated. Any photos of refurbs? Many thanks.

I'm so excited i can barely contain myself! Our reservation for 2 full weeks in a studio came thru from David's rentals before the 7 month mark. OKW has always been a favourite of ours from the 1st time we had breakie at Olivia's but we never thought we'd be able to afford to actually stay there.

Question, how to I go about putting in a request for a location? What we want is NOT what most desire : Upper floor, away from bus/pool/HH/bustle. We'd love a view of water or some quiet spot. What do i do now to get those requests noted on our reservation or do i wait till on-line check-in rolls around? Thanks for all the amazing posts, I've read all 96 pages of them :O

Question, how to I go about putting in a request for a location? What we want is NOT what most desire : Upper floor, away from bus/pool/HH/bustle.

Congratulations on your reservation. For your requests, I'd contact David's and ask if they could contact the owner of the points to make the request for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter