• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

Nope! We were just waiting until tonight to try it again. I asked the maid that brought towels this morning and she said to make sure the water was an inch over the sensor. I did like two to make sure and touched/pushed the "button" and... nothing.

I guess it's broken. We'll call maintenance tomorrow but it's bedtime tonight. Thanks for the help though. At least if it's broken I feel like less of a dummy for not being able to figure it out!

Here now and absolutely in LOVE with this resort! Our room was ready when we checked in at 11:30 and the room we are in is a perfect match to our wants/needs
Quiet : well the darned boats on the canal can interrupt a guy's nap on the balcony according to the hubby :P
Removed from any hustle & bustle : those pesky little birds flying around can be a tad perky first thing in the morning!
Comfortable space to spread out: there's nothing wrong with turning your bed into a home office is there???

Feels like "Florida" : well D'UH it's in the name right?

The staff here seems to be top notch and have all been on point with what we consider "Disney magic" without being forced. They all seem to love their work and it really feels like being a part of a family. Thanks for all the help with picking the best place for our "sanity break"!

Please tell me which building and room number! This sounds exactly what we're looking for :)

So this is an OKW Lovers thread and... We stayed last week for our first time and I did not like it. I can't say it was all bad, but I don't want to stay again. And that's a problem, because we have another trip booked for this November, in a 1BR here. Help me out, if you can.

We bought Poly when it was first offered, and recently bought OKW on the resale market to get a little more bang for our buck. By all accounts, it sounded like the perfect fit for us. We have previously stayed at CBR (4x) and CSR (1x), and I looooooved CBR. I couldn't help comparing CBR to OKW, and here's where OKW loses, imo: lack of counter service, no sandy beaches with hammocks, and too close to bus routes. I was shocked to find that our "deluxe" resort has one walk-up counter with limited menu; CBR has a food court-type area with a great assortment of choices, plus a grab-and-go area. The bus route thing--well, we've stayed at different "villages" at CBR in different rooms, including close to a bus stop, and never heard the buses. We were in building 50 at OKW, which is on a turn-around, and right by the street, but it seems like all the buildings are close to the street. The bus noise disturbed us, and we were disappointed, having heard how peaceful and quiet OKW is. It honestly made getting to sleep at night difficult.

I loved the sandy beaches at CBR, and would go in the both the morning, early before we left for the parks, and at night when we returned, take off my shoes and walk in all that cool sand and then lounge in a hammock for a bit. It was one of my favorite parts of our vacations.

Less bus stops overall at OKW, which I know some people complain about at CBR, but which never really bothered us. We're not in much of a rush. We're not big on pools, so the main pool being down at OKW didn't faze us, plus we had the Turtle Shack pool, although it's bar closes at 4 pm every day (bummer--and we weren't the only ones showing up between 6-9 at night, looking for a drink). The Gurgling Suitcase bar is adorable, though, and while we didn't eat at Olivia's, it sounds great. The OKW lobby is lovely and relaxing and has free lemon water always available, which is nice. And yes, the walk even from where we were (furthest away from the Hospitality House, I think) was only 10 min, tops. And it's a truly lovely walk.

So anyway, we stayed in a studio this time, which seemed more spacious than CBR but since we're two adults, no kids, it wasn't a huge bonus. We are staying in a 1BR in November, and we look forward to having the full kitchen and a bigger balcony. Aside from the fact that we won't have the little beaches, and the counter service options will not improve, can anyone help me out regarding the sound level? Is there a quieter room or building? Am I just overly attached to fond memories of CBR?

Thanks, guys.

Please tell me which building and room number! This sounds exactly what we're looking for :)
I'll be more than happy to share the info as well as some pictures of the views once we get home --- early February!
The noise level has markedly increased since around 11:30 last night when our new neighbours on the other side of the door checked in :crazy2:

Looking for a canal view for a September trip.
Wondering if there are any Grand Villas with a canal view, if not, will take a 2 bedroom and a studio.
Thanks for your help!

Quick question from 2 very stiff necked peeps, do all the pillows at OKW suck or did we get every single one of them??? we have 7 very thin hard foam pillows that bring to mind the quote "10,000 years will give you such a crick in the neck" Would it do us any good to request new ones or are they all this bad?

Quick question from 2 very stiff necked peeps, do all the pillows at OKW suck or did we get every single one of them??? we have 7 very thin hard foam pillows that bring to mind the quote "10,000 years will give you such a crick in the neck" Would it do us any good to request new ones or are they all this bad?
I always bring mine from home and give Bill all of them. He piles them up or lies on them or whatever he wants to use them for. Basically, they are all bad.

While we love this resort and are so happy we are staying here after the last 3 nights we have decided unless we can afford a 1 bedroom NEVER AGAIN! 2 nights ago a family arrived around 11:30 and i'd have to venture they were staying in a few units and after checking them all out decided the one bedroom joining this studio was the perfect place for the communal party. Ok, no biggie everyone's excited when they get to Disney, we can deal... until the phone starts ringing at 6:30 and you yell from the other room for someone else to answer and they don't ... phone rings a LOT until it stops! No problem they can't be that noisy every night can they? 2nd night pretty quiet and they checked out yesterday morning bright and early but it was a park day for us so no biggie.

Came back from the Studios around 11 last night (now that was COOL, last family in the park and they sent 3 buses to get us to our different resorts! late night ADR at Sci-Fi and a problem with cashing out the cheques) to discover a new family with a young child who has a very croupy cough checked in. I'm thinking the kid also wears lead lined shoes and brought some bowling pins and balls to play with! The kid never stopped coughing (poor family!) and they took turns trying to entertain him so the rest of the family could sleep (and yes i KNOW that's exactly what they said... urgh) We're going to be heading home more tired than when we got here if they are that noisy the rest of the week.

The concept of a studio attached to a one bedroom is great if you have BOTH rooms but if you're in the studio on one side of a very thin door when a noisy family is on the other side not so much. We won't be saying anything to anyone here because it's not our place to tell someone else how to enjoy themselves while on holiday in a room they are paying for, not our job to be the noise police over what is just basic day-to-day sounds from a young family. Just a head's up to others who are choosing this resort using the same criteria we did :quiet, removed from the parks & other resorts, serene, lack of amenities that would draw people who aren't staying here ... if you are staying in a studio, the walls & adjoining door are VERY THIN and the lack of floor coverings in the main room allow every sound to echo.

When we had an attached studio we put towels between the adjoining doors. It muffled some of the noise.

When we had an attached studio we put towels between the adjoining doors. It muffled some of the noise.
While we love this resort and are so happy we are staying here after the last 3 nights we have decided unless we can afford a 1 bedroom NEVER AGAIN! 2 nights ago a family arrived around 11:30 and i'd have to venture they were staying in a few units and after checking them all out decided the one bedroom joining this studio was the perfect place for the communal party. Ok, no biggie everyone's excited when they get to Disney, we can deal... until the phone starts ringing at 6:30 and you yell from the other room for someone else to answer and they don't ... phone rings a LOT until it stops! No problem they can't be that noisy every night can they? 2nd night pretty quiet and they checked out yesterday morning bright and early but it was a park day for us so no biggie.

Came back from the Studios around 11 last night (now that was COOL, last family in the park and they sent 3 buses to get us to our different resorts! late night ADR at Sci-Fi and a problem with cashing out the cheques) to discover a new family with a young child who has a very croupy cough checked in. I'm thinking the kid also wears lead lined shoes and brought some bowling pins and balls to play with! The kid never stopped coughing (poor family!) and they took turns trying to entertain him so the rest of the family could sleep (and yes i KNOW that's exactly what they said... urgh) We're going to be heading home more tired than when we got here if they are that noisy the rest of the week.

The concept of a studio attached to a one bedroom is great if you have BOTH rooms but if you're in the studio on one side of a very thin door when a noisy family is on the other side not so much. We won't be saying anything to anyone here because it's not our place to tell someone else how to enjoy themselves while on holiday in a room they are paying for, not our job to be the noise police over what is just basic day-to-day sounds from a young family. Just a head's up to others who are choosing this resort using the same criteria we did :quiet, removed from the parks & other resorts, serene, lack of amenities that would draw people who aren't staying here ... if you are staying in a studio, the walls & adjoining door are VERY THIN and the lack of floor coverings in the main room allow every sound to echo.

I was going to say something similar. Open the door on your side and put a pillow in the space between the two doors. It should fill up the gap at the bottom of the door.

Such a disappointment! That can happen at any resort though - some people just don't think that they are next door to other people. I now always travel everywhere with ear plugs. Lots of people use white noise machines.

I like the idea of the pillow in between the doors. I've done the towels before but will try the pillow next time there's an issue anywhere.

The only time we had a noise complaint was with a 1BR with a Studio lock-off. You could hear every word that was said in the studio when you were in the living room of the 1R.

Just returned from a great 4 night stay, I'm too tired to look back through the last few pages, so please forgive me if this has been covered--
During the pool refurb, they are providing transportation to SSR. I found it a little confusing, so for anyone there during the refurb-
The transportation is NOT the internal resort shuttle. It is a white Disney van, the driver is generally by the bell station in a white polo shirt. They said the van departs every 20 min, but when we found the driver, he just took us right over. It's pretty convenient, but not well explained on check in, I got the info from the concierge. (I can't comment on returning to OKW, as th rest of our group arrived later with a car.

Where can you refill your Mug? Is there soda, Coffee and Hot Chocolate at refill stations? thanks

Where can you refill your Mug? Is there soda, Coffee and Hot Chocolate at refill stations? thanks
There are refill stations at Good's Food To Go and at the Turtle Pond pool (limited hours at the pool). They have the same beverages at Good's as all other refill stations. Not sure if Turtle Pond has hot beverages - they aren't showing on the menu here: http://allears.net/dining/menu/turtle-shack/all-day

I haven't been on the boards for a while but I have to say we just love owning here! We took my daughter and her husband with us in September and couldn't wait to show them this resort. We did a no park trip and it was perfection! Lots to do with all of the amenities! We played shuffleboard, fooseball, swimming, ping pong and had so much fun. They had never stayed at OKW and loved it! I have no doubt that OKW also has the largest movie selection.

We have stayed here twice now and never hear any noise. Always quiet. We were off Turtle Pond Rd once overlooking the golf course and on Millers right by the pool. We enjoyed both locations.

Hey all!! Just got back (kind of) from our OKW stay 1/27-2/3. It was a wonderful stay, and I had so much help and insight from this thread I thought I would leave a little for anyone else. (Hopefully this is the right place to do it) We stayed in a one bedroom at the very end of Millers Rd. (building 22). Initially I was very disappointed. While I know requests are just that, at online check-in I had requested Peninsular Road,upper floor and it was kind of like they gave me the opposite of that. End of Millers Rd. bottom floor. But my ever positive husband said let's just check out the room (2214) and it was actually great! The view of the golf course was wonderful, and the bottom floor ended up being a blessing in disguise with our toddler and the stroller after a long day at the parks. The people above us were great, no loud stomps, we only heard them a few times our entire stay. Basically my point is, don't worry about not getting your request, our stay was magical anyways. It seemed like each area had it's own best qualities. :)

I had read that the noise from Bonnet Creek Pkwy would be loud. The noise was not an issue at all for us at all. It was actually pretty quiet. It was bout a 7-10 minute walk to the Hospitality house for us. The buses surpassed all my expectations. I was prepared to wait a while for buses based on what I had read, but we hardly ever waited more than 5 minutes for a bus. And only one time was the bus crowded. I will say that being at one of the last stops in the resort is a little rough coming home in the evening from the parks (makes the ride a little longer), but really just a minor inconvenience. I didn't notice the internal bus shuttles until our second to last day.

While a little dated, the villa was wonderful. Great space, comfortable,and quiet. One of the doors on our TV stand was broken upon arrival, and there was a red stain on the bathroom floor. We just called the front desk, let them know, and while we were out they fixed it. Can't comment on mousekeeping. They left plenty of towels when we arrived so we just put our do not disturb sign on the door and took our own trash every other day or so since it was right outside our door.

Olivia's was delicious (We only had dinner). I would say my only downside, was the lack of options for CS (I enjoy a foodcourt). Having a two year old who goes to bed around 8:30 (on vacation), we would usually get back to our resort around 7/7:30 or earlier. It would be nice to get different options to enjoy in our room for dinner. Once again it was just a minor detail. We scheduled our TS early in the park, or made sure to grab some CS wherever we were. We did have the cheeseburger and fries from Goods to Go and they were fresh and tasty! Also upon recommendations from this board I tried the Turtle Krawl at gurgling suitcase, SOOOO GOOD!!

The main pool and playground area being closed was a little bit of a bummer, since it was such a good walking distance from our room. But it was really cold the first half of our trip and we really would have only been able to check it out a day or two. I hope to come back in the future once its all done and check it out. It looked like a lot of fun. We did go to the Turtle Pond playground one day, and the pool was packed and they were doing poolside activities that looked like a lot of fun.

Synopsis: We loved our room and the resort. While I would like to check out other resorts, I wouldn't mind coming back here. Excellent stay!

IMG_2108.JPG IMG_2109.JPG IMG_2113.JPG Slowly getting back into some semblance of routine again after our almost 3-week long stay at OKW. here's the great, the good, the not so wonderful and the OMG what sort of fresh heck did we wake up in??
Our room location was wonderful, peaceful, quiet in respect to external noises -- rarely heard buses unless we were on the balcony or leaving the room, the boat to DS woke us some mornings but we never noticed it other than for my hubby to announce "BOAT" whenever he saw it float by :P
Room #4520 here's a couple of view shots (i have yet to figure out how to get pictures show up in the correct spot!!)

The meals we at Olivia's were all wonderful and they handled my dietary restrictions with ease and after the first meal knew us and had the chef at our table within minutes. Only had issue with one server who seemed more interested in larger groups to the point of forgetting the cream for hubby's coffee until the cup he poured (all over the table) AND the entire press pot had gone cold but that can happen anywhere and it was resolved once someone finally remembered we'd been seated in the room off to the side. Loved the one dinner when our kids joined us and they were on the dining plan -- server divided the bill so that they "paid" for the more $$ meals and we had the cheaper ones, nice touch.

Not once did we have issue with the transportation, never waited more than 10 minutes either going to a park or coming back. Once we realized that buses going to a park would take 20 minutes to leave the resort (South Point stop) and the bus back from DS took 20 minutes to get to our stop we simply adjusted our trip and took the DS OUT of the resort and park buses BACK (we didn't do many park days -- lots of resort hopping so we would just use a DS bus as a transfer on the way there and any open park on the way back) We found it quicker to get off the DS bus at the HH and walk back to our room. Took the boat a LOT, even though it took longer than bus, it fit our relaxed pace better :D

Our weather was spectacular, we went from days so hot i constantly complained to a few days so cold hubby whined and pouted (keeping the house a happy medium is hard :P ) Only had one day of rain, it was torrential mind you and we found out when we got back to our room that we were under a tornado watch -- :eek: Not OKW related but nice none-the-less

The Pro-Bowl actually DID influence the crowd level around the entire resort, making DS a mad house at times and obviously caught the staffing at the parks off guard --- one day at MK there was one lone CM manning the Dole whip stand and the line was easily 20 deep. There were some tour groups from Brazil but they only bothered us at DS in the evenings, not unexpected when there are a lot of teens faces with an array of stores they don't normally see, they were easy to avoid.

I touched on the noise level we experienced the 2nd half of our stay and while we realize this is possible at ANY resort anywhere in the world by the end of the 3rd week it was truly unacceptable. We understand the general excited sounds generated by a young family and one with a small child who has a croupy cough -- been there, done that, have several t-shirts, so we just dealt with that by leaving the tv on the "park hours" channel very low so as to drown out the sound during the daytime hours (did NOT do this overnight for fear we might disturb them!) However, when the rest of their family eventually joined them in other rooms in the building and they chose THAT room as command central we were pushed to the end of our ropes. It got bad enough that when we checked out and in again for our final night we mentioned they might want to keep the studio empty if at all possible until that family checked out and asked if we would be able to call anyone if the noise was excessive that night, response was not sympathetic "oh well i see they're checking out soon so they won't bother anyone." Uhm and tonight? "i guess you could call if you feel the need" 6:30 the following morning their alarm went off to prepare for the 7 am birthday party that included easily 10 adults and a gaggle of young children. Party was in full swing until they left for who knows where at 9:45 -- we called the front desk at 7:30 and either no-one came or they did NOT care because the noise never stopped. When we checked out the on duty manager took one look at us when we wandered into the lobby and quickly pulled us aside to ask what was wrong .. ended up letting us use a room until 1:30 so i could nap.

Again i know the noise complaints are NOT specific to OKW and could happen anywhere, but it was excessive and other than the final reaction of the manager, we felt that none of the staff cared about how it was impacting OUR stay. We did not want nor expect any compensation, we made it clear to everyone we spoke to that we were staying on points and knew that meant it is a different type of stay without the safety net of a reservation thru Disney but it was clear that the other guests were either cash guests or were paying for daily housekeeping and we wondered if they were treated differently because of that? All we really wanted was some suggestions of how to deal with the noise or to perhaps ask them to tone down the noise?

Thanks for all the help leading up to this stay and for the suggestions when i reached out about the noise level -- the stuffing of the doors helped some until they began opening and closing said door ... We loved the resort but sadly will need some serious thought about staying there again :( Sorry for the length of this post

Last edited:
View attachment 219181 View attachment 219182 View attachment 219183 Slowly getting back into some semblance of routine again after our almost 3-week long stay at OKW. here's the great, the good, the not so wonderful and the OMG what sort of fresh heck did we wake up in??
Our room location was wonderful, peaceful, quiet in respect to external noises -- rarely heard buses unless we were on the balcony or leaving the room, the boat to DS woke us some mornings but we never noticed it other than for my hubby to announce "BOAT" whenever he saw it float by :P
Room #4520 here's a couple of view shots (i have yet to figure out how to get pictures show up in the correct spot!!)

The meals we at Olivia's were all wonderful and they handled my dietary restrictions with ease and after the first meal knew us and had the chef at our table within minutes. Only had issue with one server who seemed more interested in larger groups to the point of forgetting the cream for hubby's coffee until the cup he poured (all over the table) AND the entire press pot had gone cold but that can happen anywhere and it was resolved once someone finally remembered we'd been seated in the room off to the side. Loved the one dinner when our kids joined us and they were on the dining plan -- server divided the bill so that they "paid" for the more $$ meals and we had the cheaper ones, nice touch.

Not once did we have issue with the transportation, never waited more than 10 minutes either going to a park or coming back. Once we realized that buses going to a park would take 20 minutes to leave the resort (South Point stop) and the bus back from DS took 20 minutes to get to our stop we simply adjusted our trip and took the DS OUT of the resort and park buses BACK (we didn't do many park days -- lots of resort hopping so we would just use a park bus as a transfer on the way there and DS on the way back) We found it quicker to get off the DS bus at the HH and walk back to our room. Took the boat a LOT, even though it took longer than bus, it fit our relaxed pace better :D

Our weather was spectacular, we went from days so hot i constantly complained to a few days so cold hubby whined and pouted (keeping the house a happy medium is hard :P ) Only had one day of rain, it was torrential mind you and we found out when we got back to our room that we were under a tornado watch -- :eek: Not OKW related but nice none-the-less

The Pro-Bowl actually DID influence the crowd level around the entire resort, making DS a mad house at times and obviously caught the staffing at the parks off guard --- one day at MK there was one lone CM manning the Dole whip stand and the line was easily 20 deep. There were some tour groups from Brazil but they only bothered us at DS in the evenings, not unexpected when there are a lot of teens faces with an array of stores they don't normally see, they were easy to avoid.

I touched on the noise level we experienced the 2nd half of our stay and while we realize this is possible at ANY resort anywhere in the world by the end of the 3rd week it was truly unacceptable. We understand the general excited sounds generated by a young family and one with a small child who has a croupy cough -- been there, done that, have several t-shirts, so we just dealt with that by leaving the tv on the "park hours" channel very low so as to drown out the sound during the daytime hours (did NOT do this overnight for fear we might disturb them!) However, when the rest of their family eventually joined them in other rooms in the building and they chose THAT room as command central we were pushed to the end of our ropes. It got bad enough that when we checked out and in again for our final night we mentioned they might want to keep the studio empty if at all possible until that family checked out and asked if we would be able to call anyone if the noise was excessive that night, response was not sympathetic "oh well i see they're checking out soon so they won't bother anyone." Uhm and tonight? "i guess you could call if you feel the need" 6:30 the following morning their alarm went off to prepare for the 7 am birthday party that included easily 10 adults and a gaggle of young children. Party was in full swing until they left for who knows where at 9:45 -- we called the front desk at 7:30 and either no-one came or they did NOT care because the noise never stopped. When we checked out the on duty manager took one look at us when we wandered into the lobby and quickly pulled us aside to ask what was wrong .. ended up letting us use a room until 1:30 so i could nap.

Again i know the noise complaints are NOT specific to OKW and could happen anywhere, but it was excessive and other than the final reaction of the manager, we felt that none of the staff cared about how it was impacting OUR stay. We did not want nor expect any compensation, we made it clear to everyone we spoke to that we were staying on points and knew that meant it is a different type of stay without the safety net of a reservation thru Disney but it was clear that the other guests were either cash guests or were paying for daily housekeeping and we wondered if they were treated differently because of that? All we really wanted was some suggestions of how to deal with the noise or to perhaps ask them to tone down the noise?

Thanks for all the help leading up to this stay and for the suggestions when i reached out about the noise level -- the stuffing of the doors helped some until they began opening and closing said door ... We loved the resort but sadly will need some serious thought about staying there again :( Sorry for the length of this post

First off, Love the pictures!! Your location was the exact location we were hoping for, for our trip.(Which overlapped with yours I think) But we were way off on Millers Rd. Haha! Amazing view of the canal though. My toddler would have loved seeing the boat go by everyday! I'm so sorry your experience was a little bit of a letdown. While I agree, it's nobody's right to dictate how people enjoy themselves on vacation, I would hope people would be a little more courteous to those around them. You are much nicer than I am. I would have called after a couple days. If there is any place you need your sleep...it's Disney! haha I come from a very loud Italian family, but we know when to zip it! Hopefully they just didn't realize they were being so loud.

I agree with you about Disney Springs being a madhouse. We took the boat on our first day Friday the 27th and it was hard to walk near world of Disney with the stroller. Once we got by Deluxe Burger and some of the shopping it cleared up. Saturday at Magic Kingdom it seemed busier, but not nearly as busy as I've seen in the summer time. Other than that I felt the parks were really manageable. Maybe the week before with all the activities made it busier?

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. Hopefully you get to go back and experience the resort without the loud neighbors!

PS. totally agree with your previous post about the pillows. I woke up with neck pain two days in a row!! Next time, if we stay there, I will fly with mine or ship some. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter