OKW- luggages and stairs

yaya74

DIS Veteran
Just booked a July trip staying at OKW for the very first time. First time experiencing DVC resort. Fingers crossed that DH and I will like what DVS has to offer and explore the possibility of becoming a DVC member...

I will request for a ground floor 1 BR unit for our stay. But just in case we end up on a second floor unit (will put in request no 3rd floor), will it be difficult getting the luggages up to our room on those stairs? I will also pack lighter this time since there is washer/dryer in the unit.

So psyched about this trip!!

Well you can have bell services bring your luggage up the stairs, otherwise you'll be lugging it yourself. By all means pack lighter and use the washer/dryer in the room. The stairs are the only downside to OKW, everything else about it is superb.:earsboy:

I actually request a 3rd floor room at OKW. We've been on the 2nd and 1st floors before. We have always heard noise from the room above us, which I find annoying (moving chairs, jumping, etc.). Not sure if the walls/floors thin, but it has bothered us enough to try to avoid 1st and 2nd floor rooms.

will it be difficult getting the luggages up to our room on those stairs?
There isn't a problem with space---the staircases are fairly wide. The only question is weight. Do you have a stairwell at home? If so, try it out. If you can nagivate that, OKW will be fine.

We've had non-first-floor units at OKW several times, including with some younger kids. We never really thought twice about it, but none of us have mobility issues and that certainly makes things easier.

There isn't a problem with space---the staircases are fairly wide. The only question is weight. Do you have a stairwell at home? If so, try it out. If you can nagivate that, OKW will be fine.

We've had non-first-floor units at OKW several times, including with some younger kids. We never really thought twice about it, but none of us have mobility issues and that certainly makes things easier.

My house is a ranch, so I don't have the stairs to do practice runs. But I will continue with my dumbbell exercises. :rotfl:
I have noticed in the pictures and video about OKW that the stairs are wide and short. There is also a platform in between two flights of stairs. I guess it won't be that bad on the second floor.. Just hope I don't get on the 3rd.

Thank you!!

The less you have to carry up the stairs, the easier it is. Third floor is not good for us.

Have there ever been stories of people with mobility issues that did not get either ground floor or one of the buildings with elevators at OKW? I would think with 1/3 of the rooms being ground floor, it would be a request that is usually accommodated? But I don’t have any first hand experience.

We just returned from a grand villa vacation and had “2 flights of stairs” for a family of 8! We had to store luggage but bell services brought our luggage up along with a food order! Honestly it wasn’t, what I consider a full flight of stairs more like one! We were in Bldg. 16 non HH category great location 3 min walk to HH! I agree I would go higher floor to avoid the noise above!

We used ask for a second floor where there’s no third floor above - I think they might be on the ends - now I need elevator and do not like first floor because of the greater possibility of ‘critters’ - but OKW is truly one of my favorite DVC - so pretty and relaxing and big rooms.

Too funny, I was by myself and on the second floor. The cast member NEVER picked up the suitcase. Banged/dragged it up the stairs. I was so mad, I could’ve done that...was praying that my wheels were still on. I did tip him though...only time that happened as we stay at OKW and always request top floor.

Have there ever been stories of people with mobility issues that did not get either ground floor or one of the buildings with elevators at OKW? I would think with 1/3 of the rooms being ground floor, it would be a request that is usually accommodated? But I don’t have any first hand experience.
I'm in a wheelchair and bcz of that, requested and got the 1st floor room. We only stayed for 9 days, but the only noise we ever heard was from kids next door. Not that you couldn't hear anything from above at any resort.

Never had a problem with the stairs and we been staying there for many years. There are a couple of buildings that do have elevators. If I recall they are in the building number 60's range. They are not too far from the hospitality house as well. So if you like the 3rd floor and don't want to use the stairs those might be a good option. we always take full advantage of the W/D too. Saves on packing and less laundry to do when we get home as well.

Never had a problem with the stairs and we been staying there for many years. There are a couple of buildings that do have elevators. If I recall they are in the building number 60's range. They are not too far from the hospitality house as well. So if you like the 3rd floor and don't want to use the stairs those might be a good option. we always take full advantage of the W/D too. Saves on packing and less laundry to do when we get home as well.
Bldg 64 is the only one with an elevator with studios or one bedroom villas on the third floor. There is only one studio and one one bedroom villa on the third floor of 64. Bldg 62 and 63 do not have studios or one bedrooms on the third floor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter